Thread: Fiftieth Anniversary of Beggars Banquet by the Rolling Stones!

vCash

Music Fiftieth Anniversary of Beggars Banquet by the Rolling Stones!

So today is Keith Richards' 75th birthday!

Celebrate Keith's 75th Birthday - Barry Lenser

Also very much worth commemorating therefore is the fiftieth anniversary of the release of the Beggars Banquet LP earlier this month. I bought the Beggars Banquet record at Bluebird Records on Dundas Street in London, Ontario within days of its initial release. The interior gatefold photo is among the best pieces of rock imagery ever:

Here's my favourite track from the LP:

Stray Cat Blues

Radically Canadian!

vCash

Music Fifty years? What's fifty years to the Rolling Stones?

While fifty year anniversaries may seem to be a tremendous achievement for most bands (and people in general), to the Rolling Stones fifty years is much too pedestrian a benchmark to be meaningful. By 1964 the Stones were really rolling and here is a list of big 55th anniversaries to which fans of the band and music historians can look forward this year:

January 17 - Release of their first EP:

February - Release of Not Fade Away which reached #3 on the U.K. charts thus becoming their first top ten hit in the U.K.

April 16 - Release of The Rolling Stones their first LP in the U.K.

May 30 - Release of the LP with the title expanded to The Rolling Stones (England's Newest Hitmakers) in the U.S.A. and Canada:

June - Release of It's All Over Now the Stones first #1 hit in the U.K.

June 3 - The Stones appear on Hollywood Palace hosted by Dean Martin, their first American television appearance.

June 5 - The Stones kick off their first American concert tour with a show in San Bernardino, California. They open with Not Fade Away and the set includes the rarely heard Beautiful Delilah number:

June 20 - The tour comes to an end with two shows at Carnegie Hall in New York.

September - Release of Time Is on My Side which reached #6 on the U.S. Billboard chart thus becoming their first top ten hit in the States.

October 25 - The Stones first appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show. Following the show Sullivan reputedly said “I promise you they’ll never be back on our show. It took me seventeen years to build this show and I’m not going to have it destroyed in a matter of weeks.” But after having a chance to look at the ratings he sent the Stones this message "Received hundreds of letters from parents complaining about you, but thousands from teenagers saying how much they enjoyed your performance.”

October 29 - The Stones appear on the T.A.M.I. Show concert film.

Last edited by Foxhound; 01-18-2019 at 10:30 PM.