Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: If Reilly Leaves....

vCash
    Blog Entries

Re: If Reilly Leaves....

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    don't think there are many, if any, in here that were excited with Ed's firing or question his ability. Where the divide happens is those that slam Brocks every move because he's not Ed. Still to this day if someone said I could have Ed back I would take him in a heart beat but that doesn't mean that Brock isn't going to be just as good someday.
    1000% agree. The other thing I wonder about is who the naysayers think we should replace Brock with? I can't actually think of anyone out there who I would be salivating over. Or do they think that somehow we'll be able to get Ed back? If so I think they're dreaming in technicolor. Brock has done some good things and had a few missteps but he hasn't been Eric Tillman bad to the point that he should be run out of town with torches and pitchforks IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Do we really have to continue to compare Hervey and Sunderland so often? Sunderland deserves a chance to be his own GM, on his own merits, without the continual glances in the rear view mirror.
    X3
    ôRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Do we really have to continue to compare Hervey and Sunderland so often? Sunderland deserves a chance to be his own GM, on his own merits, without the continual glances in the rear view mirror.
    We've had 2 years now. We'd steadily slid backwards. Hence the discussion. May not be fair to BS but football is rarely fair. This is what he signed up for and the ride he chose with Lyin' Lenny as his saddle mate
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    We've had 2 years now. We'd steadily slid backwards. Hence the discussion. May not be fair to BS but football is rarely fair. This is what he signed up for and the ride he chose with Lyin' Lenny as his saddle mate
    not entirely true, we went 10-8 in Eds last year and 12-6 in Brocks first. We slid backwards last year but that happens even to the best of them, lets see how 2019 goes.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    I think that'll depend on how this year goes. If we only manage 6 or 7 wins this year then you will be correct that there is a backslide occurring, but if we bounce back to 10+ wins then I think there'll be a case to be made that we've remained relatively steady and that last year was really just a case of a couple of bad bounces in an extremely competitive division.

I was disappointed in the lack of quality import recruits last year though so hopefully that changes this season.

vCash

I guess the big question upcoming will be if any of the QB's sign out of the gate once Free Agency hits next week. I think there will be intent by the group to hold out until the CBA is signed, sealed and delivered, but I'm almost thinking that once one of the dominoes falls, the QB signings will be fast and furious.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

not entirely true, we went 10-8 in Eds last year and 12-6 in Brocks first. We slid backwards last year but that happens even to the best of them, lets see how 2019 goes.
    I don't usually like playing the woulda/coulda game but really, if Reilly hangs onto that ball in Sask that Willie took back for 6 the Esks are in the playoffs, and then who knows what happens from there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    I guess the big question upcoming will be if any of the QB's sign out of the gate once Free Agency hits next week. I think there will be intent by the group to hold out until the CBA is signed, sealed and delivered, but I'm almost thinking that once one of the dominoes falls, the QB signings will be fast and furious.
    I'm also curious if there's possibly a game of chicken going on here between Mike and Bo to let the other guy set the new bar for elite QB's.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    I'm also curious if there's possibly a game of chicken going on here between Mike and Bo to let the other guy set the new bar for elite QB's.
    I know I am biased, but if you put Mitchell and Reilly on equal teams, Reilly wins three times out of four. Reilly is worth a bigger payday than Bo. Calgary may have no choice though...

vCash
    Blog Entries

I know I am biased, but if you put Mitchell and Reilly on equal teams, Reilly wins three times out of four. Reilly is worth a bigger payday than Bo. Calgary may have no choice though...

I agree with you but BLM is 5 years younger so there is that to consider as well. I do believe that Mike is capable of being like Ray, Burris, and Calvillo and playing till he's 40 but assuming that Bo does likewise he has more years left so you may want to lock up your number one position for the long term if you're Calgary.

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

No doubt Reilly is probably the better overall QB, but if you look at career numbers at the typical QB role, they are virtually identical other than Reilly has more attempts and more interceptions.

What separates them is that Reilly has his rushing skills, whereas BLM is quite a bit younger so likely has more years in the tank and has a remarkable Win-Loss record which is undoubtably aided by the quality of his team.

I suspect they'd likely get offered the same money from suitors on the free market and I'm guessing teams would likely be willing to gamble longer term on BLM than on Reilly because of age.

vCash

I liken Reilly to Grant Fuhr in his prime. If you wanted one guy for one game...

vCash

If you listen to this weeks podcast Dave Campbell mentions that Brock has offered Mike north of 600k. Thats alota chedda

vCash
    Blog Entries

If you listen to this weeks podcast Dave Campbell mentions that Brock has offered Mike north of 600k. Thats alota chedda
    Which podcast?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    Which podcast?
    the Eskimo Empire podcast

https://play.google.com/music/listen...u33ctu2vwn7p5u

vCash

On Sportsnet 650 this morning their sportscast guy, Rick Dhaliwal, stated that Reilly turned down a $700,000 offer from the Eskimos with no counter offer. He says it's his understanding Mike is coming to BC and he'll be SHOCKED if he's not a Lion by next Wednesday.

Take it with a grain of salt as I have no idea who his sources are, but.... $700k? That’s crazy $$ if you plan on having any veteran presence in your offense, especially on the OL.
    Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    On Sportsnet 650 this morning their sportscast guy, Rick Dhaliwal, stated that Reilly turned down a $700,000 offer from the Eskimos with no counter offer. He says it's his understanding Mike is coming to BC and he'll be SHOCKED if he's not a Lion by next Wednesday.

Take it with a grain of salt as I have no idea who his sources are, but.... $700k? That’s crazy $$ if you plan on having any veteran presence in your offense, especially on the OL.
    Not buying that at all bro.. at all!

vCash

Many of the top QBs share the same agent, Vancouver-native, Dan Vertlieb. I suspect that those that are repped by him may have a bit more unified approach leaning toward patience.

The one exception that I know of is Jonathan Jennings, he is repped by Bardia Ghahremani. This may work to allow him less constraints if there are teams that don't see themselves in the race for Reilly, Harris, Mitchell, Lulay, etc.

I'm not sure about who reps Collaros, and while there are concerns based on recent years, we're talking about a guy that previously was in the conversation as a tier-one QB only a few seasons ago. I'm not saying that I'd be fully confident with that route, but with the right fit, I could see a team like Calgary potentially looking that direction.

To your point, I think it depends which domino falls. If Mike signs, then I agree that the floodgates may open as things become a lot clearer. If he holds out for the CBA or just takes awhile to weigh his options, I could see others following suit.

vCash

Not buying it. That sportnet is based out of Van, so imo clickbait material.

vCash

We better have a trade proposal ready for the Argo's to try and get Franklin back, if this is the case. He looked pretty darn good here, and will come a lot cheaper.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    We better have a trade proposal ready for the Argo's to try and get Franklin back, if this is the case. He looked pretty darn good here, and will come a lot cheaper.
    Cheaper salary-wise, but what sort of level would you be prepared to give up to get him, understanding that the Argos are not exactly settled at QB themselves, and Chamblin could very much be looking at Franklin in the mix as his starter? If it costs a 1st and a 2nd pick, is that too rich? Would you agree that the same deal may well be available to you after things shake out a bit more with the QBs and seeing who signs where?

vCash

IMO if Reilly leaves it'll be only because of family. Not money. Not to spite Edmonton. Not to be with Hervey the bestest GM ever. It'll be for family.. and really I can not fault him for it.

vCash

1000% agree. The other thing I wonder about is who the naysayers think we should replace Brock with?

I have great respect for your posts but I really disagree with this.
    Does this idea apply to all positions? how about politicians, do I need a replacement in mind before criticizing them too?

We gave away Ricky Ray, we threw out Hervey and we finished last in our division, at what point am I allowed to openly hope for better?
    PLEASE do not feed the trolls!

vCash

I'd love to see Franklin back here if Mike leaves but the chances are slim. He's on the second year of a two year contract and likely makes less than any of this year's FA QB's and is still a good option for the Argos if Ray retires . And then there is also RR's recent injury history. I really don't believe Franklin got a fair shot at replacing Ray last year.

Would our GM want to back track in trying to get Franklin ? Even though we were going to lose him to FA , Sunderland would take heat from some for trading him and now paying much more to get him back.

Streveler has been mentioned as an option. No way the BB move him. Their future after Nichols plus Matt has a history of some major injuries . Also on a minimum salary contract likely. Kinda looking that we might be moving on from Reilly , hopefully not , but on June 14th in Commonwealth someone will be taking the snaps.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eskiman View Post
    I have great respect for your posts but I really disagree with this.
    Does this idea apply to all positions? how about politicians, do I need a replacement in mind before criticizing them too?

We gave away Ricky Ray, we threw out Hervey and we finished last in our division, at what point am I allowed to openly hope for better?
    All I'm saying is that you need a plan. Saying you want the guy gone without having an alternative in mind that you believe will improve the situation is not a reasonable tact to take IMO unless the incumbent is a total tire fire and he's doing more harm than good which I believe is what happened with Peter Chiarelli and Eric Tillman here. I don't believe Brock has been that bad and there isn't anyone out there currently available that I am anxious to grab that I believe would do a superior job. Ed Hervey and John Hufnagel are already employed. Brock traded away O'Dell. He didn't trade away Ricky Ray for a bag full of beans. Also he only took the job he wasn't responsible for firing Ed. I just don't feel his performance to date warrants dismissal. As far as Len Rhodes is concerned that's an altogether different argument. You can criticize Brock all you want I have no problem with that he's a public figure and fans are allowed to critique him. But if we really want him out then it would be nice to have an alternative in mind before the deed is actually done.

I likewise respect and enjoy your posts so no problem agreeing to disagree with you on this one. It's all good man.
    Last edited by adb; 02-06-2019 at 04:33 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    IMO if Reilly leaves it'll be only because of family. Not money. Not to spite Edmonton. Not to be with Hervey the bestest GM ever. It'll be for family.. and really I can not fault him for it.
    Finally someone gets it hahahahaha

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    I think your spot on with this..

vCash

All I'm saying is that you need a plan. Saying you want the guy gone without having an alternative in mind that you believe will improve the situation is not a reasonable tact to take IMO unless the incumbent is a total tire fire and he's doing more harm than good which I believe is what happened with Peter Chiarelli and Eric Tillman here. I don't believe Brock has been that bad and there isn't anyone out there currently available that I am anxious to grab that I believe would do a superior job. Ed Hervey and John Hufnagel are already employed. Brock traded away O'Dell. He didn't trade away Ricky Ray for a bag full of beans. Also he only took the job he wasn't responsible for firing Ed. I just don't feel his performance to date warrants dismissal. As far as Len Rhodes is concerned that's an altogether different argument. You can criticize Brock all you want I have no problem with that he's a public figure and fans are allowed to critique him. But if we really want him out then it would be nice to have an alternative in mind before the deed is actually done.

I likewise respect and enjoy your posts so no problem agreeing to disagree with you on this one. It's all good man.
    If we get in the business of firing GM's for the work Brock has done, we are going to go through a lot of guys. The guy actually hasn't put a team together that has been below 500, lets give him the time required to put his full stamp on the team and IMO thats 2019.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    Many of the top QBs share the same agent, Vancouver-native, Dan Vertlieb. I suspect that those that are repped by him may have a bit more unified approach leaning toward patience.

The one exception that I know of is Jonathan Jennings, he is repped by Bardia Ghahremani. This may work to allow him less constraints if there are teams that don't see themselves in the race for Reilly, Harris, Mitchell, Lulay, etc.

I'm not sure about who reps Collaros, and while there are concerns based on recent years, we're talking about a guy that previously was in the conversation as a tier-one QB only a few seasons ago. I'm not saying that I'd be fully confident with that route, but with the right fit, I could see a team like Calgary potentially looking that direction.

To your point, I think it depends which domino falls. If Mike signs, then I agree that the floodgates may open as things become a lot clearer. If he holds out for the CBA or just takes awhile to weigh his options, I could see others following suit.
    Could get really interesting if Bo goes to the NFL. If that happens and I'm Jennings and the stamps show any interest I'd probably be pretty motivated to sign and learn under Dickensen (or Maas for that matter). As has been stated by others MR's primary motivation might lie elsewhere otherwise if it was just about winning it'd be a no brainer to sign with the Stamps based on overall recent team results.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    Finally someone gets it hahahahaha
    I'm not sure I can think of anyone in here that wasn't a fan of Ed Hervey when he was here, it's safe to say the dude was/is universally respected by Eskimos fans.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    I think your spot on with this..
    YEG DOES fly direct to Seattle... so... heres hoping #13 is in Green n' Gold longer

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    Cheaper salary-wise, but what sort of level would you be prepared to give up to get him, understanding that the Argos are not exactly settled at QB themselves, and Chamblin could very much be looking at Franklin in the mix as his starter? If it costs a 1st and a 2nd pick, is that too rich? Would you agree that the same deal may well be available to you after things shake out a bit more with the QBs and seeing who signs where?
    Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    I'd love to see Franklin back here if Mike leaves but the chances are slim. He's on the second year of a two year contract and likely makes less than any of this year's FA QB's and is still a good option for the Argos if Ray retires . And then there is also RR's recent injury history. I really don't believe Franklin got a fair shot at replacing Ray last year.

Would our GM want to back track in trying to get Franklin ? Even though we were going to lose him to FA , Sunderland would take heat from some for trading him and now paying much more to get him back.

Streveler has been mentioned as an option. No way the BB move him. Their future after Nichols plus Matt has a history of some major injuries . Also on a minimum salary contract likely. Kinda looking that we might be moving on from Reilly , hopefully not , but on June 14th in Commonwealth someone will be taking the snaps.
    Bethel-Thompson, Ray and Franklin one has to give. My guess is Chamblin wants stability and that’s what Ray gives you when healthy. Make an offer on Franklin.

I’m just saying I hope he has a contingency plan now a week out, escpecially considering the reports.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi