Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: If Reilly Leaves....

vCash

Re: If Reilly Leaves....

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    MR has experienced first hand both what EH can do with a roster in a short window from nothing, and what BS has done, inheriting a championship calibre roster and seeing it regress at a steady rate. When it comes to trust, the EE are at a big disadvantage
    Hervey = AWESOME!! Brock = DUD.... rinse and repeat.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Every GM, outside of Huff, has their share of wins and losses. I judge based on their ability to consistently put a winning team on the field and their ability to uncover some hidden gems. Hervey proved his metal in those categories but was not perfect by any means (Simoni, Masoli and Wojt for Rockhill and Kanya) year 3 for Brock will be a telling year for me and I'm excited to see how its gonna turn out.
    I agree with you huff is the best gm in the league..

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    I agree with you huff is the best gm in the league..
    Which means if all MR cares about is winning championships and the Stamps lose BLM to the NFL and they make a pitch for him for close to the same money that he should sign with Calgary and not even consider the Lions or Esks. I'm of the opinion that as long as he believes he has a good chance to win the GC ( which I think that all 4 teams in the west that may be in the hunt for him can provide) that family becomes the deciding factor which makes me think that BC has the edge. If it was just about winning championships then he would wait to see what happens with BLM and would sign with Huff if offered a comparable contract.
    ďRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Just a reminder that Brock is probably doing the best he can and that the blame should ultimately rest with someone higher up the food chain.

Every GM, outside of Huff, has their share of wins and losses. I judge based on their ability to consistently put a winning team on the field and their ability to uncover some hidden gems. Hervey proved his metal in those categories but was not perfect by any means (Simoni, Masoli and Wojt for Rockhill and Kanya) year 3 for Brock will be a telling year for me and I'm excited to see how its gonna turn out.
    My biggest worry with Brock so far was the lack of new breakout import talent last year but I'm hoping that changes now that he's in his second full off-season and has some of his own scouts on board. He's done fine as far as managing the players he's had and bringing in proven CFL talent though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Prez View Post
    Just a reminder that Brock is probably doing the best he can and that the blame should ultimately rest with someone higher up the food chain.
    No question there.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Prez View Post
    I believe that's false.

I'm ready for Rhodes to move on... or be moved on. I believe that a lot of the flaws of the organization and the connection to their fan base lie at his feet. I do not believe that he is the guy to lead this organization any longer.

I do not believe that he has major impact on the football operations side... other than ultimately hiring and firing the GM or acting at the will of the Board.

Brock is empowered to pick his coach, and he empowers his HC to pick his staff. He has discretion about how to use the cap, and I've never heard anything that indicates that there is a lack of funding for players... both spending up to the cap, and for non-cap expenses (injured guys, etc).

I think it's fully fair to blame Rhodes for Hervey no longer being in Edmonton if you want... it certainly came down to a choice between one or the other, and both sides had a hand in forcing that situation... but unless it is rooted back to that decision, I do not believe that there is a lot of evidence that he impacts the football operations side of things either positively or negatively.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    My biggest worry with Brock so far was the lack of new breakout import talent last year but I'm hoping that changes now that he's in his second full off-season and has some of his own scouts on board. He's done fine as far as managing the players he's had and bringing in proven CFL talent though.

- - - Updated - - -

No question there.
    Other than the obvious Reilly situation... based on the reputation of building through experienced CFL talent rather than finding new talent to groom, this free agent period should set up ideally for rounding out/constructing a team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    I was using the Outlet Mall as a bit of a joke, relax man. My point is, I have a hard time believing that GM's in pursuit of free agent players, never talk to them before free agency, never email, never text, never happen to just see them by "accident" on a scouting trip or never tell their signed players to go and recruit them when they are working out with each other. They all just follow the "no tampering" rules to the the letter, wait patiently in their office and when free agency opens, they miraculously know exactly what the player wants in salary, bonuses, contract length and whatever other clauses the player wants in the contract, the documents are all made up, reviewed by both sides, get signed and filed to the league in a matter of 5 mins when free agency opens. Unless I am mistaken, I don't think the CFL has the little courting period that the NHL has. I believe no team is allowed to talk to ANY player that is technically still under contract until free agency opens. So all the stuff needed to sign a free agent player to a new team must just happen by magic because they wouldn't dare talk to these guy before because it's against the rules. RIIIIIIIGHT!!!
    Fully relaxed man... if you couldn't tell that my comment that life decisions are best not made at outlet malls was also a joke, I don't think we're ever going to be on the same wavelength.

Yes, there is absolutely back-channel communication through others... but when a situation like this happens, where there is a guy obviously heading for free agency, why would anyone risk getting caught with substantially breaking the rules. They're going to get their chance, along with everyone else, to lay out their vision and make their pitch. There is just no reason to take the risk of getting fined or losing draft picks by getting caught when there is nothing gained by a head start. If it weren't obvious that Mike was going to test free agency, perhaps Ed would be having Travis casually mention to not make any decisions prior to free agency open. I'm not saying that they can't chat when they run into each other, exchange a Christmas card, etc... but it's too small of a league for word not to get around if guys are habitually breaking the rules too much. When contracts are filed 5 minutes after free agency opens, fines come about usually. When agreements are struck 10 minutes into free agency, it can be a case where it is an obvious match, and the team and the player were both on the same page for value and fit.

It's like most anything else... there are rules that we can work around the edges of. Most cops aren't going to pull you over for speeding if you're doing 66 in a 60 zone, but if you're flagrant about it or driving dangerously and really going against the true reason for the rule, you're much more likely to get hit with a penalty.

vCash

Well it’s all a moot point because word on the street is that Ed doesn’t go to malls ������ #internationalmanofmystery
    Last edited by Smartie123; 02-01-2019 at 06:15 PM.

vCash
    Blog Entries

This is a weird negotiation for Reilly as he has said he is committed to waiting till the CBA is done to sign up, preaching union solidarity. He has also mentioned that he wants to win (obviously) but should he sign a massive contract he will be taking cap money off the table for other players kind of flying in the face of the previous 2 statements.
    I believe Reilly is only using the CBA excuse a an excuse to Eskies fans to wait until FA hits on Feb 12 than bolts to BC as it's closer to home for him and his family and Hervey has already got him locked up to a deal that he can't refuse,hope I'm wrong but I think we must face reality and start the rebuild of our future QB now .He is 34 and not a lot of years remaining ,plus we never made the playoffs last year with him and there is no gauruntee we will this year with all of the new young receivers we will have to start with .Im moving forward thinking we seen the last of Reilly in our beloved Green and Gold.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by dealerd View Post
    I believe Reilly is only using the CBA excuse a an excuse to Eskies fans to wait until FA hits on Feb 12 than bolts to BC as it's closer to home for him and his family and Hervey has already got him locked up to a deal that he can't refuse,hope I'm wrong but I think we must face reality and start the rebuild of our future QB now .He is 34 and not a lot of years remaining ,plus we never made the playoffs last year with him and there is no gauruntee we will this year with all of the new young receivers we will have to start with .Im moving forward thinking we seen the last of Reilly in our beloved Green and Gold.
    Your beliefs are your beliefs, but you've presented no evidence, only supposition, to support them so I don't know why you consider your scenario "reality". As others have pointed out, BC is in an even greater amount of flux than the Esks when it comes to changes, with an even newer GM than the Esks, and a brand new coaching staff. Because of this I see their chances of making the playoffs this year as being less than the Esks, if that's even something that will be a deciding factor in Reilly's decision making.

Reilly has had tremendous success since he came to the Esks and is very close with his head coach and the other players on the team. I think that will play a greater part in his decision making than any crystal ball gazing into who will make the playoffs. Reilly will do what's best for him and his family and we can only hope that aligns with what's best for the Esks. Chill brother and have patience.
    GO ESKS GO!

vCash
    Blog Entries

Guy has potential...
    I really really liked Zack Kline I hope he does come back for another shot, I think he got screwed around by the Esks and should have been #2 not Glenn

vCash

sickens me to say.. but if Reilly is truly in win now mode... Calgary would be his best bet... now excuse me while i wash my mouth out with bleach.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    sickens me to say.. but if Reilly is truly in win now mode... Calgary would be his best bet... now excuse me while i wash my mouth out with bleach.
    Bo ain’t going anywhere...

He’s going to get a huge pay rise.. just like mike

- - - Updated - - -

I really really liked Zack Kline I hope he does come back for another shot, I think he got screwed around by the Esks and should have been #2 not Glenn

According to what’s been posted here he’s retired..
    of course everyone can unretire!

vCash

Based on what?

What did you see, and when did you see it, that supports a position that he was 'screwed around?

If it was pre-season action, in 2018, Kline's performance didn't demonstrate he was ready.

Did you see practices or something else that gives you that opinion?

Throwing it out there that a guy got screwed by the team kind of calls for some supporting of the assertion. If it's opinion, fine, but even opinions should be based on something to hold water.

vCash

Bo ain’t going anywhere...

He’s going to get a huge pay rise.. just like mike

- - - Updated - - -

I think the same of boverrated... i was just merely saying if somehow bo wasnt returning his best shot would be there....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    Based on what?

What did you see, and when did you see it, that supports a position that he was 'screwed around?

If it was pre-season action, in 2018, Kline's performance didn't demonstrate he was ready.

Did you see practices or something else that gives you that opinion?

Throwing it out there that a guy got screwed by the team kind of calls for some supporting of the assertion. If it's opinion, fine, but opinions should be based on something to hold water.
    unless you're the president.
    WALTER IS MY HERO!!

vCash

Zack has moved back down to the States to begin his post-Football career.
    Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Hey guys just a question if we lose mike Reilly who are your top 3 choices to replace Mike and who do you think we target as his replacement

vCash

Hey guys just a question if we lose mike Reilly who are your top 3 choices to replace Mike and who do you think we target as his replacement
    If we lose Reilly, Walker will likely follow him where ever he goes. At that point you may as well concede itís going to be a rebuild era for a few years. Donít trade for any on currently out there other than maybe Streveler. I have thought from the beginning Franklin was a flash in the pan and once teams had film on him he would be the next Rakeem Cato... so I donít want to see him back here after what he has looked like as a starter.

If we lose Reilly you find a cheap rookie and hope to develop him over the next 2-3 years.
    I'm very responsible, when ever something goes wrong they always say I'm responsible.

Why do people point to their wrists when asking for the time, but don't point to their crotch when they ask where the bathroom is?

vCash

Good question - here's mine:

1. Jonathon Jennings BC Lions - despite some ups and downs the past year and a half, I think he would have the biggest upside; he's young and proven in the past he can do it. I think a Jason Maas environment allows a QB to grow and have the support of your Head Coach to develop the mental aspect of the game. Bonus would be that he would probably come at a decent enough price to allow you to spread some money around for the rest of your football club.
    2. Trevor Harris - I think his resume speaks for himself. He would slide nicely into our offense and provide us with a QB I believe can win the Grey Cup.
    3. James Franklin - I don't think there is another free agent on the table I would go after. If you could pry James away from Toronto, I still believe he has the potential to be a very very good #1 in this league.

I didn't bother to include Bo Mitchell in my choices simply because I don't think he will sign with anyone other than Calgary if (when) he returns to the CFL. There is no doubting his skill level; I just don't see him as an option.

My long shot QB's to acquire would be Brandon Bridge or Vernon Adams Jr, but I think we could find equal potential on our own.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Goldie-Lox View Post
    If we lose Reilly, Walker will likely follow him where ever he goes. At that point you may as well concede itís going to be a rebuild era for a few years. Donít trade for any on currently out there other than maybe Streveler. I have thought from the beginning Franklin was a flash in the pan and once teams had film on him he would be the next Rakeem Cato... so I donít want to see him back here after what he has looked like as a starter.

If we lose Reilly you find a cheap rookie and hope to develop him over the next 2-3 years.
    I really donít think itís time to concede if Reilly goes. Thereís so much talent out there as free agents this year and there will be cap room. You can add some good talent all over the field and reload quickly.

As for quarterbacks to bring in, Iím not too sure. Jennings is free, I think Harris will stay east, likely in Ottawa. Maybe check Winnipeg to see if Nichols is still their guy or if Strelever may be it. Could be a deal there.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    Fully relaxed man... if you couldn't tell that my comment that life decisions are best not made at outlet malls was also a joke, I don't think we're ever going to be on the same wavelength.

Yes, there is absolutely back-channel communication through others... but when a situation like this happens, where there is a guy obviously heading for free agency, why would anyone risk getting caught with substantially breaking the rules. They're going to get their chance, along with everyone else, to lay out their vision and make their pitch. There is just no reason to take the risk of getting fined or losing draft picks by getting caught when there is nothing gained by a head start. If it weren't obvious that Mike was going to test free agency, perhaps Ed would be having Travis casually mention to not make any decisions prior to free agency open. I'm not saying that they can't chat when they run into each other, exchange a Christmas card, etc... but it's too small of a league for word not to get around if guys are habitually breaking the rules too much. When contracts are filed 5 minutes after free agency opens, fines come about usually. When agreements are struck 10 minutes into free agency, it can be a case where it is an obvious match, and the team and the player were both on the same page for value and fit.

It's like most anything else... there are rules that we can work around the edges of. Most cops aren't going to pull you over for speeding if you're doing 66 in a 60 zone, but if you're flagrant about it or driving dangerously and really going against the true reason for the rule, you're much more likely to get hit with a penalty.
    Hervey knows how to build a winning team. He knows ALL about what Reilly brings both on and off the field. Hervey's team had below average Jennings as their starter, gave the job to busted up Lulay and they STILL made the playoffs. What could his team do with an all star, put them on his back, borderline best player in the league, QB like Relly do for his team and his organization? So if I was Hervey, I don't give a damn if I get "caught" communicating with Reilly a little bit. What's going to happen, the team get a fine? OH NO!!The league is preoccupied with trying to get a new CBA done which of all the leagues out there, getting a good CBA is probably the most critical to the CFL. As is that's not enough. Instead of concentrating on that, the CFL is busy doing it's world tour of trying to sign all these non football playing countries to some sort of partnership deal for I don't even know what for. SO if ever there was a year that I would risk getting caught tampering, it's this year. Regardless, I think tampering happens all the time.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post

1. Jonathon Jennings BC Lions - despite some ups and downs the past year and a half, I think he would have the biggest upside; he's young and proven in the past he can do it. I think a Jason Maas environment allows a QB to grow and have the support of your Head Coach to develop the mental aspect of the game. Bonus would be that he would probably come at a decent enough price to allow you to spread some money around for the rest of your football club.
    2. Trevor Harris - I think his resume speaks for himself. He would slide nicely into our offense and provide us with a QB I believe can win the Grey Cup.
    3. James Franklin - I don't think there is another free agent on the table I would go after. If you could pry James away from Toronto, I still believe he has the potential to be a very very good #1 in this league.

I didn't bother to include Bo Mitchell in my choices simply because I don't think he will sign with anyone other than Calgary if (when) he returns to the CFL. There is no doubting his skill level; I just don't see him as an option.

My long shot QB's to acquire would be Brandon Bridge or Vernon Adams Jr, but I think we could find equal potential on our own.
    Ewww...wouldn't want any of those QB's to be honest.

I'd go for Streveler out of Winnipeg.
    ----------------------
    "When you're playing good football, it's good football and if you don't have good football, then you're not really playing good football" - John Madden

Hervey knows how to build a winning team. He knows ALL about what Reilly brings both on and off the field. Hervey's team had below average Jennings as their starter, gave the job to busted up Lulay and they STILL made the playoffs. What could his team do with an all star, put them on his back, borderline best player in the league, QB like Relly do for his team and his organization? So if I was Hervey, I don't give a damn if I get "caught" communicating with Reilly a little bit. What's going to happen, the team get a fine? OH NO!!The league is preoccupied with trying to get a new CBA done which of all the leagues out there, getting a good CBA is probably the most critical to the CFL. As is that's not enough. Instead of concentrating on that, the CFL is busy doing it's world tour of trying to sign all these non football playing countries to some sort of partnership deal for I don't even know what for. SO if ever there was a year that I would risk getting caught tampering, it's this year. Regardless, I think tampering happens all the time.
    Stop the press! “Hervey knows Reilly would make his team better”, wow what a scoop!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Messiah View Post
    Ewww...wouldn't want any of those QB's to be honest.

I'd go for Streveler out of Winnipeg.

I agree with Hugo that Jennings has a ton of potential in the right system with the right coach, and I believe Maas is that coach.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Agree with pretty much everything you've got to say although Brandon Bridge has shown me some flashes over the years...I'm thinking if we lose Reilly and are not able to get Jennings (I don't really think we have a shot at Harris) and the Argos and Bombers ask for the moon in terms of a trade for Franklin/Streveler then maybe Bridge is a better option than starting totally from scratch and maybe in a Maas offense he like Jennings may likewise flourish. He is also not too old at 27. If we do lose Reilly to BC and Bo resigns in Calgary then I am thinking that Jennings will be looking at either the Esks or the Riders which will leave one of those teams on the outside looking in. Hopefully this is all a moot point and we get Reilly back. Fingers crossed.
    ďRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Stop the press! “Hervey knows Reilly would make his team better”, wow what a scoop!

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with Hugo that Jennings has a ton of potential in the right system with the right coach, and I believe Maas is that coach.
    the thing that goes unsaid is that you cannot just drop Reilly into last years Lions team as his salary will cause a ripple effect on the lineup. Don't get me wrong I have all the faith in the world in Hervey but their lineup is considerably different with Mikes salary
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

the thing that goes unsaid is that you cannot just drop Reilly into last years Lions team as his salary will cause a ripple effect on the lineup. Don't get me wrong I have all the faith in the world in Hervey but their lineup is considerably different with Mikes salary
    Oh I agree, I think it’s only a matter of time before Ed has that team competing for top of the division, but as you point out Reilly to BC is not necessarily as simple as some assume. And as much as I see it being a fit in terms of the Reilly/Hervey connection, I don’t really see Reilly as a fit with their new defensive minded coaching staff, I know he’s worked (and played?) with Jarious but I’m not sure he’s proven enough for Mike to really get excited about at this point.

Add to that getting multi year commitments from young breakout Canadians like Konar and Boeteang despite both having great opportunities to move home or cash in on the FA market tells me that the guys in the room still have faith in the direction of the team which is nice to see. So I don’t think it’s reasonable to assume that Reilly views this club as a sinking ship the way some are trying to portray.

vCash

Oh I agree, I think it’s only a matter of time before Ed has that team competing for top of the division, but as you point out Reilly to BC is not necessarily as simple as some assume. And as much as I see it being a fit in terms of the Reilly/Hervey connection, I don’t really see Reilly as a fit with their new defensive minded coaching staff, I know he’s worked (and played?) with Jarious but I’m not sure he’s proven enough for Mike to really get excited about at this point.

Add to that getting multi year commitments from young breakout Canadians like Konar and Boeteang despite both having great opportunities to move home or cash in on the FA market tells me that the guys in the room still have faith in the direction of the team which is nice to see. So I don’t think it’s reasonable to assume that Reilly views this club as a sinking ship the way some are trying to portray.
    When you finish 9-9 in a tough division you aren't a bad team. Don't get me wrong they were NOT good enough but they also were NOT bad.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

Is your goal to win?

Jennings, maybe there is a decent QB there but 2 seasons in a row he started and lost his job because he couldn't do it? Could Maas get him going? Maybe but you better have one hell of a back up just in case. The Lions had Lulay who the only reason he wasn't a star in this league is injuries.

Harris is a good QB. I'd put it Reilly and Mitchell as the upper tier, then a small drop to Harris and Masoli. I don't see Ottawa letting him go nor do I see him leaving Ottawa.

Franklin. He's a bigger wild card than Jennings. Went to T.O with QB guru Trestman and couldn't figure it out.

Bridge and Adams. To start? You are kidding right?
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Is your goal to win?
    Is your goal to alienate every other Eskimo fan?
    Last edited by Hugoagogo; 02-04-2019 at 11:15 AM.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie