Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: If Reilly Leaves....

vCash

Re: If Reilly Leaves....

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    I have no animosity for the guy. He hasn't performed up to the level we had and has failed to bring in talent on a level we were seeing. And he was caught tampering for JM's replacement at the end of last year. JM went so far as to start cleaning out his office. BS got his pee pee smacked at the GM meetings as a result. Doesn't take much to see how this is headed.
    Interesting. I said something similar months & people on here were up in arms & calling me a liar (not you,Diesel, thank you).

Maybe Brock had to backtrack & keep Jason when 1. Mike turned down the first offer & Brock realized it was about more than $$ and thought keeping Jason could help & 2. everyone and their dog found out what he was doing to try to get a new coach. (Apparently he needs some finesse.)

Too lazy to go back & see who all called me out & needs to eat crow. Now I just know better than to share anything of substance on here. People can’t handle it.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    Interesting. I said something similar months & people on here were up in arms & calling me a liar (not you,Diesel, thank you).

Maybe Brock had to backtrack & keep Jason when 1. Mike turned down the first offer & Brock realized it was about more than $$ and thought keeping Jason could help & 2. everyone and their dog found out what he was doing to try to get a new coach. (Apparently he needs some finesse.)

Too lazy to go back & see who all called me out & needs to eat crow. Now I just know better than to share anything of substance on here. People can’t handle it.
    Now now smartie, dont paint us all with the same brush, although I tend to be sceptical if I'm getting second or third hand info as it can get twisted fairly quickly. Not saying that's what happened here but my rule in general.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

https://3downnation.com/2019/02/11/a...chell-sources/

Argos to offer Bo Levi 750k.... (can you say tampering?). I think the writing is on the wall for the Stamps. If he signs with the argos, they likely trade Franklin back to us IMO.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Pffft. The writing is on the wall for the Stamps every year.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

Something interesting I just noticed: In addition to Sunderland’s history with Harris, new Esks player personnel man Turner was with the Arizona Rattlers and Hartford Colonials around the same time as Harris. It’s not exact enough to suggest he directly recruited him, but certainly enough to suggest they may have had close contacts in the same circle. Wonder if there’s a tie there?
    Last edited by BeaverSports; 02-11-2019 at 09:29 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by esks123 View Post
    https://3downnation.com/2019/02/11/a...chell-sources/

Argos to offer Bo Levi 750k.... (can you say tampering?). I think the writing is on the wall for the Stamps. If he signs with the argos, they likely trade Franklin back to us IMO.
    and I'd be good with that to be honest. I know Franklin had a rough year last year in TO but this guy has such raw talent and he's young
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BeaverSports View Post
    Something interesting I just noticed: In addition to Sunderland’s history with Harris, new Esks player personnel man Turner was with the Arizona Rattlers and Hartford Colonials around the same time as Harris. It’s not exact enough to suggest he directly recruited him, but certainly enough to suggest they may have had close contacts in the same circle. Wonder if there’s a tie there?
    Smoke= fire

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Shaker11 View Post
    The problem that was not addressed properly by the gm was when Franklin was a free agent,Mike had 1 year left on his . Needed 1 or the other signed long term at that point. Now we have nothing,A good GM would not let himself be put in that situation.If Mike would not sign long term at that point then you sign Franklin 1 year backup salary then stater salary for whatever length,Mike wants to stay then you trade Franklin.Mike wants to go then you have Franklin ready. And you slap Maas in the side of the head and you say your playing the back up some.
    You mean like how Hufnagel let Mitchell get to free agency, or how Hervey let both his QBs get to free agency, or how Desjardins let his QBs get to free agency?

Prior to this off-season, this was a largely unfathomable situation to have marquee, face of the franchise QBs consider moving when the money is essentially similar. To pin this on a GM, when multiple top-tier GMs did the same thing, is simply ridiculous imo.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BeaverSports View Post
    Everybody seems to be going to lengths to find connections between Harris and Eskimo brass like Sunderland and now Turner through Arena Football. Everybody talked about Reilly's relationship with Maas and how it might be key to retaining Reilly. I apologize if I missed somebody else making the connection but the most obvious one I can think of is that for Harris' first 3 years in Toronto his QB Coach was......drumroll......Jason Maas.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfall Harry View Post
    The bigger question is how the league's best player was ever permitted to become a free agent in the first place. The media tried to spin it that all the top QBs were waiting to see what the salaries would be like under the new CBA, but face it, no UFA QB is going to wait until the month before the season starts to sign with a team. This was mishandled from the start, but no surprise. Franchise players in this league are usually locked up before they enter their free agency year. If Edmonton was a winning team with a shot at the Grey Cup on an annual basis, then staying with the Esks might be more attractive. If Mitchell doesn't sign as an nth-stringer in the NFL, you think he'd sign anywhere other than Calgary as a UFA?

As a fan, I don't want a player who doesn't want to be here, so for me it really comes down to why the organization wasn't attractive to Reilly at this point in his career. If he leaves, I place the blame elsewhere. My bigger concern is who Sunderland brings in. The last time we let a franchise QB go we were force fed Steven Jyles. Tillman tried to convince us he was an actual starter, and we all knew the season was over before it even began. I don't want to hear Rhodes trying to whoop up the fan base with Kevin Glenn as the starter.
    As per Reilly during his interview on the Jason Gregor Show today he said he probably would have signed an extension last winter if the CBA wasn't going to be expiring after the season.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    As per Reilly during his interview on the Jason Gregor Show today he said he probably would have signed an extension last winter if the CBA wasn't going to be expiring after the season.
    I call bullsh!t on that one though. Looking back on the 2018 season you can see his spark wasn't there like it was in years previous. Not saying he wasn't still a warrior taking hits left right and center... Just that he had a great excuse to not sign here in the CBA expiring. For a marquee player like Mike - aside from some bonus structure changes (maybe) - is he really going to be affected? Probably not. The CBA does more for players that are at the bottom of the food chain with higher minimum salaries. Sure there's stuff like medical or retirement items but when you're pretty much guaranteed to be getting half a mil a year what do you care about the minimum? Not much. If it was money (which it wasn't) it wouldn't have been an issue. He'd made his mind up last year and that was that. I had hoped what he said could have been taken as truth but I have to wonder if it ever was. Maybe if Rhodes had been turfed last season or even right after Grey Cup it would have made a difference and I was very vocal about him staying and saying he was staying no matter what and I'll admit I was wrong.
    Just a quick shout out to Mr."Winning isn't everything" for pis*ing away not one but TWO HoF QB's. F*ck you Len and good riddance.

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    I call bullsh!t on that one though. Looking back on the 2018 season you can see his spark wasn't there like it was in years previous. Not saying he wasn't still a warrior taking hits left right and center... Just that he had a great excuse to not sign here in the CBA expiring. For a marquee player like Mike - aside from some bonus structure changes (maybe) - is he really going to be affected? Probably not. The CBA does more for players that are at the bottom of the food chain with higher minimum salaries. Sure there's stuff like medical or retirement items but when you're pretty much guaranteed to be getting half a mil a year what do you care about the minimum? Not much. If it was money (which it wasn't) it wouldn't have been an issue. He'd made his mind up last year and that was that. I had hoped what he said could have been taken as truth but I have to wonder if it ever was. Maybe if Rhodes had been turfed last season or even right after Grey Cup it would have made a difference and I was very vocal about him staying and saying he was staying no matter what and I'll admit I was wrong.
    I don’t want to come off like I’m dissing the guy on his way out the door because he was easily one of my all time favourite Eskimos, but I will admit that there were a lot of times last year where I expected him to put the team on his back at key points like he had in the past and he just didn’t for whatever reason.

The flue game against Ottawa was the most vintage era Mike Reilly game that I can remember from last season.

I still had all the faith in the world in the guy and wanted him to retire here but it is what it is.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    That doesn't make any sense. He was checked out already at that point.

Radio fluff for the Edmonton listeners, and a parting shot at the BOD and the league.

vCash

I was CRUCIFIED for starting a GDT this way (rightfully so)

http://www.esksfans.com/forum/showth...-Riders-2PM-MT

but I did notice it as well.

vCash

In fairness to Mike Reilly last winter was the one before he played the 2018 season without the spark in his eye.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Section N View Post
    That doesn't make any sense. He was checked out already at that point.

Radio fluff for the Edmonton listeners, and a parting shot at the BOD and the league.
    Reilly is too classy of a guy to say anything directly negative about the team. But it comes right down to him not believing in the Esks organization. He's from the West Coast so that automatically eliminates all Eastern teams. Plus the East is the weaker conference and it's not close. Bombers have Nichols plus that moves him farther way so they are out. The Riders just lost Jones and are in transition so they are out. So that leaves Calgary, Edmonton and BC. I am sure he had a real good idea that Mitchell was going back to Calgary. Mitchel lives full time in Calgary, as if he was actually leaving. He said in his Lions presser that he picked the Lions because he thought they gave him the best chance of winning at this point in his career. He's close with Hervey, he won with Hervey and he watched his Esks get worse when Hervey left, so why would he believe in the Esks. I am not dissing your boy Brock Loner, so relax. I am just looking at it how I think he was thinking. I also think Rhodes being the way he was, probably impacted the decision. If I was a player, I wouldn't be too thrilled having that clown in charge. Too bad it took until the day before free agency before the board decided it was time to move on. Maybe it would have helped.

I think he had his mind made up a while ago. Unless the money wasn't there from the Lions, which it was. If you heard Gregor who's buddies with Reilly, talk a couple of days ago, he said on his show Reilly would be here if Hervey was here. So I don't for a second believe the CBA had anything to do with it. So if the money was going to be a wash, it comes down to who he believed in more and most comfortable working under.
    Last edited by Sectionq; 02-13-2019 at 12:45 PM.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    Reilly is too classy of a guy to say anything directly negative about the team. But it comes right down to him not believing in the Esks organization. He's from the West Coast so that automatically eliminates all Eastern teams. Plus the East is the weaker conference and it's not close. Bombers have Nichols plus that moves him farther way so they are out. The Riders just lost Jones and are in transition so they are out. So that leaves Calgary, Edmonton and BC. I am sure he had a real good idea that Mitchell was going back to Calgary. Mitchel lives full time in Calgary, as if he was actually leaving. He said in his Lions presser that he picked the Lions because he thought they gave him the best chance of winning at this point in his career. He's close with Hervey, he won with Hervey and he watched his Esks get worse under Brock, so why would he believe in him. I am not dissing your boy Brock Loner, so relax. I am just looking at it how I think he was thinking. By all accounts, the money was going to be a wash so it comes down to who he believed in more. Plus if you heard Gregor who's buddies with Reilly, talk a couple of days ago, he said on his show Reilly would be here if Hervey was here. So I don't for a second believe the CBA had anything to do with it.
    Let’s hope he loses with Hervey to!
    Straight up a Qb on a 3 mil contract over 4 years will cripple a franchise! Cripple it!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Let’s hope he loses with Hervey to!
    Straight up a Qb on a 3 mil contract over 4 years will cripple a franchise! Cripple it!
    Not if he's putting up similar numbers to what he's been doing. If you think that signing a QB too that much money cripples a team, then you must have the same feeling about Mitchell? Plus the Esks just signed Harris to 550K I believe. You make it sound like Reilly is just so grossly overpaid compared to others. That's just not the case.

This isn't the NHL where once you sign a player, you are stuck with him. If it's not working out, you cut him. No guaranteed contracts.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Not if he's putting up similar numbers to what he's been doing. If you think that signing a QB too that much money cripples a team, then you must have the same feeling about Mitchell? Plus the Esks just signed Harris to 550K I believe. You make it sound like Reilly is just so grossly overpaid compared to others. That's just not the case.

This isn't the NHL where once you sign a player, you are stuck with him. If it's not working out, you cut him. No guaranteed contracts.

So your cutting reilly now?

Lol I’m kidding...

If you think reilly is gonna play great at 38 ur mistaken

And I’ll state again maas’s system is proven... jj has proven nothing absolutely zero! Could be the biggest bust in cfl history if he can’t operate in Jackson’s system.. Jennings couldn’t ..

I’m half jesting but for our sake im hoping reilly and the lions suck balls! ( just like every other western team! )

But seriously don’t rave and drool over someone who isn’t here anymore and wanted to be somewhere else!! his own father tweeted earlier today.. longer trip ... so u believe whatever u feel! I Believe in the new era eskimos!
    Last edited by cmbuk; 02-13-2019 at 12:57 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post

Tampering happens across the league.. u know this and I know this....

We don’t even need to talk about ed signing Odell 55 seconds into free agency in 2014 ... ???

Everyone is guilty... everyone ...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    I don't think people appreciate just how much his world changed last August.

I was sitting a few rows behind his family for the game in BC Place a few years ago where after the game, for the first time, he came over and got Brooklyn from the stands. I can tell you that it was a moment that he considers a career highlight.

As a family, they were just getting adjusted to things being easier for travelling with Brooklyn.

Last year, all sorts of plans were made around Emily having the baby in Edmonton - a very conscious choice - and taking her maternity leave (not 12 months like in Canada) to stay through the end of the season and return to work after Christmas. That timeline had everything to do with believing that he'd be playing right to the end of November and Edmonton being a big part of their lives. Anyone who talked to Mike when they were going through the rough streak in the fall can tell you he wasn't checked out or not bought in - he was taking much of it on his shoulders and beating himself up.

Mike has spent most of his pro career immersed in football for 6 months a year - a first in last out guy at the facility every day. Now he's got his wife, toddler and newborn living with him and trying to be all things to all people. I know he wouldn't trade that experience of having them there for that period, but it's hard to not tie the on-field performance to the changes off the field to some degree, rightfully or wrongly.

People only need look at the Terry Jones interview with Pat Reilly and the comments he made about the kindness always shown to them by folks in Edmonton, and he included on that list, Len Rhodes. Say what you will about Len as a team president or a football guy, but he is a guy that treated Mike and his family like gold... with good reason. I do not believe that Len's continuing presence with the EEFC affected Mike's leaving. I do believe that the consequences of Len's previous actions (firing Hervey) did set in motion a scenario where there was another viable football landing spot for him, that had a lot of added benefits on the family front.

I take him at his word that the CBA was one of the big factors that led to his decision to take this to free agency. Hindsight shows that his agent, Dan Vertlieb handled this brilliantly for his clients - creating a perfect storm of bidding wars and an unprecedented change in the landscape. When it had been decades since someone of Mike's stature had moved on via free agency, it isn't hard to believe, in the least, that he too, would not have moved on, if not for the advice of a savvy agent that had a strategy to benefit his top clients collectively and individually. If Mike does re-sign at the start of last year, he likely signs for $600k, right? His agent's strategy, even if he decided to return to Edmonton, would have seen him paid $100k a year more.

I don't know which of you are parents (I'm not), but I wonder what sort of lengths you'd go to in order to not be 1000 kms away for your child's first steps if so many other elements were somewhat equal.

vCash

Reilly is too classy of a guy to say anything directly negative about the team. But it comes right down to him not believing in the Esks organization. He's from the West Coast so that automatically eliminates all Eastern teams. Plus the East is the weaker conference and it's not close. Bombers have Nichols plus that moves him farther way so they are out. The Riders just lost Jones and are in transition so they are out. So that leaves Calgary, Edmonton and BC. I am sure he had a real good idea that Mitchell was going back to Calgary. Mitchel lives full time in Calgary, as if he was actually leaving. He said in his Lions presser that he picked the Lions because he thought they gave him the best chance of winning at this point in his career. He's close with Hervey, he won with Hervey and he watched his Esks get worse when Hervey left, so why would he believe in the Esks. I am not dissing your boy Brock Loner, so relax. I am just looking at it how I think he was thinking. I also think Rhodes being the way he was, probably impacted the decision. If I was a player, I wouldn't be too thrilled having that clown in charge. Too bad it took until the day before free agency before the board decided it was time to move on. Maybe it would have helped.

I think he had his mind made up a while ago. Unless the money wasn't there from the Lions, which it was. If you heard Gregor who's buddies with Reilly, talk a couple of days ago, he said on his show Reilly would be here if Hervey was here. So I don't for a second believe the CBA had anything to do with it. So if the money was going to be a wash, it comes down to who he believed in more and most comfortable working under.
    I agree that Ed had a lot to do with it but if your discounting being able to see his wife and kids more, you are wrong. The long and short of it (and we both agree on this one) is that if board had chosen Hervey over Rhodes, we would still have Reilly but they didn't so I will throw my faith behind the team that has been assembled as it is fully Brocks now. 2019 is going to be an interesting one around here.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post

I don't know which of you are parents (I'm not), but I wonder what sort of lengths you'd go to in order to not be 1000 kms away for your child's first steps if so many other elements were somewhat equal.
    As a father of two kids I can tell you that those first few years are filled with milestones that one would hate to miss. What will be interesting will be if Mike spends more time with him family now and less time at the field. I have no clue and am not making any assumptions just curious is all.

vCash

I don’t think anyone can say any different..

I loved mike.. I was proud to say that’s our quarterback!

He chose to move on.... I can respect anyone’s choice ..

Now as much as l loved him in g&g I won’t cheer a single minute for mike in another teams colours

Wish him well.. hope he destroys calgary .. that’s as far as it goes now!

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    I agree that Ed had a lot to do with it but if your discounting being able to see his wife and kids more, you are wrong. The long and short of it (and we both agree on this one) is that if board had chosen Hervey over Rhodes, we would still have Reilly but they didn't so I will throw my faith behind the team that has been assembled as it is fully Brocks now. 2019 is going to be an interesting one around here.

- - - Updated - - -
    X2!
    Last edited by adb; 02-13-2019 at 01:37 PM.
    ôRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    X2!
    Whilst I agree..... as a father of 2.... I missed my kids first words.. missed my kids first steps as well.. well the wobbly hang on to the sofa first steps...

Why

Because I was at work providing for em..

I get why people think that but there are millions of fathers the world over who miss tons of stuff because they have to work..

I’m not mad at Mike at for his choices in any of this.. I’m not even mad at bc..

Mikes a warrior always will be....

But I’m excited about our future with the players and coaches we have

My dude always used to say
    Only thing constant is change.....

Which isn't a given without Maas... He never put up those kind of numbers ever in his career prior to working with Jason.

We're paying Harris about the same this year as we did Reilly last year so with the cap increase that means we're actually restructuring the way we spread our money out across the team because a smaller percentage is going towards the QB.

Also, I know Mike went to BC because of his belief in Hervey, but in turn Harris came here because of his belief in Brock, so for these players it's really just come down to who they're most comfortable with and have the most experience with.

- - - Updated - - -

So your cutting reilly now?

Lol I’m kidding...

If you think reilly is gonna play great at 38 ur mistaken

And I’ll state again maas’s system is proven... jj has proven nothing absolutely zero! Could be the biggest bust in cfl history if he can’t operate in Jackson’s system.. Jennings couldn’t ..

I’m half jesting but for our sake im hoping reilly and the lions suck balls! ( just like every other western team! )

But seriously don’t rave and drool over someone who isn’t here anymore and wanted to be somewhere else!! his own father tweeted earlier today.. longer trip ... so u believe whatever u feel! I Believe in the new era eskimos!
    I get what you're saying but I'm guessing Jackson will run something similar to what he ran here with McAdoo so Mike should be pretty familiar with it, and Jarious knows Mike pretty well. That being said I don't think it's going to be as effective as ours was here with Reilly and Maas.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    Which isn't a given without Maas... He never put up those kind of numbers ever in his career prior to working with Jason.

We're paying Harris about the same this year as we did Reilly last year so with the cap increase that means we're actually restructuring the way we spread our money out across the team because a smaller percentage is going towards the QB.

Also, I know Mike went to BC because of his belief in Hervey, but in turn Harris came here because of his belief in Brock, so for these players it's really just come down to who they're most comfortable with and have the most experience with.

- - - Updated - - -

I get what you're saying but I'm guessing Jackson will run something similar to what he ran here with McAdoo so Mike should be pretty familiar with it, and Jarious knows Mike pretty well. That being said I don't think it's going to be as effective as ours was here with Reilly and Maas.

I'm not ****ting on jj... I even said he would be a great fit here under Maas as OC but he went to bc

They are all the same stuff concept wise.... I think ( Jackson would be stupid not to ) Reilly will sit down and draw up his favourite concepts and jj will add em...

Gotta keep Mike happy

Let's be real.. Mikes still gonna be Mike.... He's a talented qb.... But I trust in Jason and his system and I'm gonna go on record and say Harris has more yards than Reilly in 2019

vCash

I'm not ****ting on jj... I even said he would be a great fit here under Maas as OC but he went to bc

They are all the same stuff concept wise.... I think ( Jackson would be stupid not to ) Reilly will sit down and draw up his favourite concepts and jj will add em...

Gotta keep Mike happy

Let's be real.. Mikes still gonna be Mike.... He's a talented qb.... But I trust in Jason and his system and I'm gonna go on record and say Harris has more yards than Reilly in 2019
    Love your passion and I hope you are right.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Love your passion and I hope you are right.
    Me to......

And it's just my opinion.. I'm not forcing what isn't on anyone.. I just want our team to win!
    I think we're in a pretty good place....

vCash

Me to......

And it's just my opinion.. I'm not forcing what isn't on anyone.. I just want our team to win!
    I think we're in a pretty good place....
    I agree actually, the parts seem to be in place and with the strongest coaching staff we've had since Jones left, at least in my opinion.