Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: If Reilly Leaves....

vCash

Re: If Reilly Leaves....

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    Reilly will be back.
    Ray is done. If not he should be.
    If and it's a big if, Reilly doesn't re-sign with us, go after Strevler.
    Right now Winnipeg has hands down the best QB situation in the West. Not only are they the only club with a starter under contract for 2019 they have somebody in Streveler who is young, did a decent job in injury relief and offers a good change of pace option when O'Shea wants to mix things up for a series. The only way Winnipeg moves him is if they have determined he has zero chance of further developing and see a chance to fleece another team. They used him too often in different situations when Nichols was healthy to make one think they don't like him moving forward.
    Last edited by Hammer24; 01-09-2019 at 03:44 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    I don’t think reilly leaves either gwn !
    I pray you are right.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    I pray you are right.
    We all are buddy!!!

vCash
    Blog Entries

In my honest opinion every day that goes by and every article I read the more I believe Reilly is not gonna sign with our beloved Eskimos and we might as well accept the fact we must move on .Lets start looking at trades for either Franklin or Strevelar and start young and fresh,let's face facts who do we have at the receiver position that makes Mike want to come back,I think Walker follows Reilly to BC or wherever ,I would not give Mike more than 600,000 without crippling the rest of the team.This is one reason I HATED trading Franklin last year ,I always said to keep Franklin and trade Reilly with the simple fact that Franklin is much younger ,talented and loved it in Edmonton plus he would have come wayyyy cheaper and been our long term solution instead of us scrambling once Reilly leaves us this year,but everyone went ballistic at that idea.Mike has maybe 3 good years left in him ,Franklin has a good 10 years in believe.Any way you look at it this must be Rhodes last year as president as he is totally destroying our proud Eskimo tradition and Eskimo Way.
    Last edited by dealerd; 01-31-2019 at 05:43 AM.

vCash

I still think the right decision was to trade Franklin. He wasn't proven and going into a year hosting the Grey Cup, and hoping to be there, we didn't want to go into the season with a somewhat unproven QB. So, I can't fault Brock for moving Franklin out. He got something out of what could have been a player walking away for free.

I do agree with you on how much we pay Reilly. If it is something like $600,000, I'm not sure I'd be ok with that. Now, I don't know what our salary situation is but I have to think giving him that amount wouldn't help us with issues elsewhere.

All that said, we are a better team with Reilly here and if he doesn't re-sign here, that'll be a devastating loss for us.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dealerd View Post
    In my honest opinion every day that goes by and every article I read the more I believe Reilly is not gonna sign with our beloved Eskimos and we might as well accept the fact we must move on .Lets start looking at trades for either Franklin or Strevelar and start young and fresh,let's face facts who do we have at the receiver position that makes Mike want to come back,I think Walker follows Reilly to BC or wherever ,I would not give Mike more than 600,000 without crippling the rest of the team.This is one reason I HATED trading Franklin last year ,I always said to keep Franklin and trade Reilly with the simple fact that Franklin is much younger ,talented and loved it in Edmonton plus he would have come wayyyy cheaper and been our long term solution instead of us scrambling once Reilly leaves us this year,but everyone went ballistic at that idea.Mike has maybe 3 good years left in him ,Franklin has a good 10 years in believe.Any way you look at it this must be Rhodes last year as president as he is totally destroying our proud Eskimo tradition and Eskimo Way.
    I have to admit that I'm feeling the same way. I hear all the talk about the FA QBs out there needing to show solidarity and all that but you can still make your feelings known and you have a feeling of where you stand with them. BLM has stated that if it's not the NFL it's the Stamps so that would make me feel pretty good if I'm a Calgary fan although based on what I'm hearing it sounds like there's a strong chance it will be the NFL so that should make a stamps fan nervous cause Calgary isn't nearly as good with an Arbuckle at the helm. Harris has made statements recently about wanting to be a career Red Black before going quiet probably on the advise of his agent. Jennings and the Lions have made a lot of noise about wanting to go their separate ways so I have a pretty good idea of what's happening there. Reilly on the other hand is a bit of a mystery as far as I'm concerned. At the end of the year he said positive things about being an Eskimo but he didn't make any kind of definitive statements like the other 3 have. I really have the feeling that when FA hits he will get very rich offers from the Esks, Lions, Riders, and possibly Calgary (if it looks like BLM is going to the NFL).

Based on things I've been reading it might end up being the Lions. I think all 4 teams will offer him similar money so what differentiates the teams beyond that? If I were him I'd have a similar level of confidence in all 4 coaching staffs and GMs with maybe Calgary having an edge but they would all be similar in my mind (I know some will disagree with me there but I truly believe that Reilly does not think that Hervey is a genius for example while Brock is an idiot as Brock has done some good things). After that BC has some edges in terms of Geography (as well as being close to family) and is equal to Edmonton in terms of comfort/familiarity since he was a Lion, will possibly have a very close friend in Lulay there who he has probably had some heart to heart talks with over the last couple of months. The only negative I see out there in BC is the apathy of the fans which may turn him off a bit but he would probably believe that he could turn that around. You see more CFL insiders saying it will be BC and where there is smoke there is fire at least that's what I believe. I hope it doesn't happen but I'm starting to think that it will and that truly sucks. Others can tell me to be positive but there hasn't been anything that's been said by others or Reilly that has given me reason to be and that includes the tone/body language I've seen from Brock when anyone has ever asked him about the current negotiations with Mike. He seems quietly frustrated.
    Last edited by adb; 01-31-2019 at 09:56 AM.
    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

The lions have nothing wr wise to offer reilly security wise then we do.. and we lost our guys to the nfl.. I think their best wr is burnham and I’ll wager he will be high sought after come feb as well.. if hey are paying reilly 700k plus to go to bc then that has a knock on effect everywhere on the team.. I believe the likes of manny ( overrated ) won’t be back anyway bc have no more pieces signed than us to lure reilly

Just mho

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jtuck09 View Post
    I still think the right decision was to trade Franklin. He wasn't proven and going into a year hosting the Grey Cup, and hoping to be there, we didn't want to go into the season with a somewhat unproven QB. So, I can't fault Brock for moving Franklin out. He got something out of what could have been a player walking away for free.

I do agree with you on how much we pay Reilly. If it is something like $600,000, I'm not sure I'd be ok with that. Now, I don't know what our salary situation is but I have to think giving him that amount wouldn't help us with issues elsewhere.

All that said, we are a better team with Reilly here and if he doesn't re-sign here, that'll be a devastating loss for us.

I think we all want reilly back and I think we should pay whatever it takes .. but u raise a good point. How much is to much for a guy 34 years old...

I still think we have to match whatever anyone else offers and u assume brock will match all offers..

vCash

As much as I would like to see Reilly signed here for the rest of his career I don't think you break the bank in order to do that. The last couple of years he has taken the team on his back and carried it as far as he can but we need a better supporting cast. Clearly the team needs to upgrade in some areas so we need cap money to sign better players. If quarterbacks like Marcus Crandell and Kerry Joseph were able to win a grey cup with their teams then its not the end of the world if we lose Mike Reilly. The overall team determines the success in the end.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jtuck09 View Post

Agreed on Franklin. I hadn't seen enough that he was ready to replace Reilly and I think you had to see it to make the commitment that would have kept him from free agency.

I'm on the fence right now about Reilly. He's the best QB in the league, but he's also taken his share of hits. For the money, I wonder if it's better to sign a lesser QB and bring in some help defensively and on the O-line with the savings. The Esks lucked out in identifying Reilly after losing Ray, even though they went through some short term pain. I could see something similar happening — particularly with all the moveable parts this off-season — but the football ops staff has to choose wisely. While I'm not as huge a Hervey fan as soon, I have to admit he made a great choice there.

And yes, from a PR perspective alone, if not a football one, they have to go all in on Reilly.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BeaverSports View Post
    Agreed on Franklin. I hadn't seen enough that he was ready to replace Reilly and I think you had to see it to make the commitment that would have kept him from free agency.

I'm on the fence right now about Reilly. He's the best QB in the league, but he's also taken his share of hits. For the money, I wonder if it's better to sign a lesser QB and bring in some help defensively and on the O-line with the savings. The Esks lucked out in identifying Reilly after losing Ray, even though they went through some short term pain. I could see something similar happening — particularly with all the moveable parts this off-season — but the football ops staff has to choose wisely. While I'm not as huge a Hervey fan as soon, I have to admit he made a great choice there.

And yes, from a PR perspective alone, if not a football one, they have to go all in on Reilly.
    This is a weird negotiation for Reilly as he has said he is committed to waiting till the CBA is done to sign up, preaching union solidarity. He has also mentioned that he wants to win (obviously) but should he sign a massive contract he will be taking cap money off the table for other players kind of flying in the face of the previous 2 statements.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

While understanding that your opinion is your opinion, I believe that the situation hasn't changed. It was talked about very openly and frankly that he'd be exploring free agency and that hasn't changed. Unless a person was believing that he was bluffing and was ultimately, going to sign with Edmonton when he got their maximum offer, everything is exactly where it has been at all along... he's not any more or less likely to sign with the Esks.

To me, the concept of bailing on the Reilly chase now is like ditching your true love because she's not ready to get married yet... it may be the right call for some, but when you're talking about something as important as that/this, I think there is a strong case to be made to go all in and do everything you can to make things work. Yes - it might mean we're left at the proverbial alter, but we're going to have a rocky time if Reilly moves on regardless. We can't yet go out and negotiate with Jennings, Harris, etc, so that would leave the trade options that you point to as the only path for a CFL-experienced guy (unless we want to sign Durant)... but the price to trade either one of them would be sky-high right now. Why would Toronto trade a potential starter now without the depth to replace him? If Ray indicates he's coming back and the new coach is high on Bethel-Thompson, maybe Franklin shakes loose, but until then, because you'd be putting Toronto in essentially the same situation that we're in now, you're going to pay through the nose.

Trading Reilly, when at the top of his game, just wasn't a viable option for a team that was, otherwise, not aging badly or facing a re-build. When you consider how rare it is for a guy the caliber of Reilly to get to free agency and leave a team, I can fully understand that the Esks' management would not have felt the need to prepare for this situation. By the time it came into focus, it would have been too late to prevent. I don't believe that Mike has only 3 good years left. While nothing is certain in this world or this game, he could play for 3 or he could play for 6. As much of a fan of James Franklin as I am (player and person), he hasn't had a full season as a starter, so ascribing him 10 more years to bring to a team is a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    I have to admit that I'm feeling the same way. I hear all the talk about the FA QBs out there needing to show solidarity and all that but you can still make your feelings known and you have a feeling of where you stand with them. BLM has stated that if it's not the NFL it's the Stamps so that would make me feel pretty good if I'm a Calgary fan although based on what I'm hearing it sounds like there's a strong chance it will be the NFL so that should make a stamps fan nervous cause Calgary isn't nearly as good with an Arbuckle at the helm. Harris has made statements recently about wanting to be a career Red Black before going quiet probably on the advise of his agent. Jennings and the Lions have made a lot of noise about wanting to go their separate ways so I have a pretty good idea of what's happening there. Reilly on the other hand is a bit of a mystery as far as I'm concerned. At the end of the year he said positive things about being an Eskimo but he didn't make any kind of definitive statements like the other 3 have. I really have the feeling that when FA hits he will get very rich offers from the Esks, Lions, Riders, and possibly Calgary (if it looks like BLM is going to the NFL).

Based on things I've been reading it might end up being the Lions. I think all 4 teams will offer him similar money so what differentiates the teams beyond that? If I were him I'd have a similar level of confidence in all 4 coaching staffs and GMs with maybe Calgary having an edge but they would all be similar in my mind (I know some will disagree with me there but I truly believe that Reilly does not think that Hervey is a genius for example while Brock is an idiot as Brock has done some good things). After that BC has some edges in terms of Geography (as well as being close to family) and is equal to Edmonton in terms of comfort/familiarity since he was a Lion, will possibly have a very close friend in Lulay there who he has probably had some heart to heart talks with over the last couple of months. The only negative I see out there in BC is the apathy of the fans which may turn him off a bit but he would probably believe that he could turn that around. You see more CFL insiders saying it will be BC and where there is smoke there is fire at least that's what I believe. I hope it doesn't happen but I'm starting to think that it will and that truly sucks. Others can tell me to be positive but there hasn't been anything that's been said by others or Reilly that has given me reason to be and that includes the tone/body language I've seen from Brock when anyone has ever asked him about the current negotiations with Mike. He seems quietly frustrated.
    Bo wants to be in Calgary if he's in the CFL, because that's where he makes his year-round home with his wife and child. I fully respect that his football and family priorities may fully align in that regard.

Mike has decided that he wants to evaluate all the options before committing to what will likely be the team he spends the rest of his career with. His circumstances have changed since he last faced this kind of situation, and it's fair to be able to assess what is going to be best for Mike Reilly the family man and Mike Reilly the QB. I know that he absolutely loves representing the city of Edmonton and the Esks, and prior to having two daughters born, that might have been enough to get an extension done, but he now has to assess everything in a more complete way.

The "insiders" don't know more than we do on this topic, as Mike has been vacationing with his family and other clubs have been prevented from contacting him or his agent. From the outside looking in, there are ties to Seattle that might cause some pull to the Vancouver area like you point out, and that, combined with his relationship with Ed (yes, they are tight), will cause pundits to connect the dots and espouse an opinion. I can virtually guarantee you that he hasn't spoken with them and indicated preferences - it wouldn't serve him any purpose to do so and would potentially weaken his negotiating position. It is fully in his interest to have as many bidders as he can keep in the game, and then apply the criteria he comes up with to make his decision. How heavily that criteria weighs Emily driving up the highway with the two kids every second weekend for home games compared to monthly plane trips with two toddlers or how much winning now and continuity play into things are anyone's guess... outside of immediate family, and a few confidants, I'm guessing that there isn't anyone else that knows.

As for negatives about the BC situation. Tax and cost of living are quite different than Edmonton. Facilities are not nearly on the same level - and this is a guy that puts in most of his waking time at the facility. If he's even met Coach Claybrooks, it's more likely to have been shaking hands after a game, than talking about offensive philosophy, and while he's worked with Jarious Jackson previously, there is virtually an entirely new coaching staff, and presumably new schemes and large player turnover - all kinds of discontinuity that generally takes some time to sort out before things start clicking. The longer the CBA goes, if he sticks to the commitment to wait, it means less and less time with the playbook, where an existing scheme and coaching staff/relationships play in Edmonton's favour. Mike has never shied away from the "face of the franchise" role, and while he could be that in Vancouver too, there is likely a difference... for better and for worse, in not being up there in terms of popularity and recognition with McDavid.

I'm not saying be positive. I'm not saying be pessimistic. I'm just cautioning reading too much into things said by pundits and media. A recent ThreeDownNation piece talked about the lost weapons in Edmonton's receiving corps, without mentioning that every team is essentially in the same boat that way. Whoever signs Mike will likely have no trouble attracting a high-powered group of receivers to come play with him - after all, he's helped get three guys to the NFL in the past two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    This is a weird negotiation for Reilly as he has said he is committed to waiting till the CBA is done to sign up, preaching union solidarity. He has also mentioned that he wants to win (obviously) but should he sign a massive contract he will be taking cap money off the table for other players kind of flying in the face of the previous 2 statements.
    In a cap environment, it's always a natural conflict of personal financial interest and team-based goals. Think back to Fleming giving up some of his salary to allow the Esks to retain Hervey, back in the day, when he had reportedly come to terms with Ottawa. There will be a balance, ultimately, between family, finance and football wherever he lands.

vCash
    Blog Entries

All I'm going to say on this one is until he actually signs with someone else - he's coming back here. Not saying that's horse's mouth truth but damned close.
    Just a quick shout out to Mr."Winning isn't everything" for pis*ing away not one but TWO HoF QB's. F*ck you Len and good riddance.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    While understanding that your opinion is your opinion, I believe that the situation hasn't changed. It was talked about very openly and frankly that he'd be exploring free agency and that hasn't changed. Unless a person was believing that he was bluffing and was ultimately, going to sign with Edmonton when he got their maximum offer, everything is exactly where it has been at all along... he's not any more or less likely to sign with the Esks.

To me, the concept of bailing on the Reilly chase now is like ditching your true love because she's not ready to get married yet... it may be the right call for some, but when you're talking about something as important as that/this, I think there is a strong case to be made to go all in and do everything you can to make things work. Yes - it might mean we're left at the proverbial alter, but we're going to have a rocky time if Reilly moves on regardless. We can't yet go out and negotiate with Jennings, Harris, etc, so that would leave the trade options that you point to as the only path for a CFL-experienced guy (unless we want to sign Durant)... but the price to trade either one of them would be sky-high right now. Why would Toronto trade a potential starter now without the depth to replace him? If Ray indicates he's coming back and the new coach is high on Bethel-Thompson, maybe Franklin shakes loose, but until then, because you'd be putting Toronto in essentially the same situation that we're in now, you're going to pay through the nose.

Trading Reilly, when at the top of his game, just wasn't a viable option for a team that was, otherwise, not aging badly or facing a re-build. When you consider how rare it is for a guy the caliber of Reilly to get to free agency and leave a team, I can fully understand that the Esks' management would not have felt the need to prepare for this situation. By the time it came into focus, it would have been too late to prevent. I don't believe that Mike has only 3 good years left. While nothing is certain in this world or this game, he could play for 3 or he could play for 6. As much of a fan of James Franklin as I am (player and person), he hasn't had a full season as a starter, so ascribing him 10 more years to bring to a team is a stretch.

Bo wants to be in Calgary if he's in the CFL, because that's where he makes his year-round home with his wife and child. I fully respect that his football and family priorities may fully align in that regard.

Mike has decided that he wants to evaluate all the options before committing to what will likely be the team he spends the rest of his career with. His circumstances have changed since he last faced this kind of situation, and it's fair to be able to assess what is going to be best for Mike Reilly the family man and Mike Reilly the QB. I know that he absolutely loves representing the city of Edmonton and the Esks, and prior to having two daughters born, that might have been enough to get an extension done, but he now has to assess everything in a more complete way.

The "insiders" don't know more than we do on this topic, as Mike has been vacationing with his family and other clubs have been prevented from contacting him or his agent. From the outside looking in, there are ties to Seattle that might cause some pull to the Vancouver area like you point out, and that, combined with his relationship with Ed (yes, they are tight), will cause pundits to connect the dots and espouse an opinion. I can virtually guarantee you that he hasn't spoken with them and indicated preferences - it wouldn't serve him any purpose to do so and would potentially weaken his negotiating position. It is fully in his interest to have as many bidders as he can keep in the game, and then apply the criteria he comes up with to make his decision. How heavily that criteria weighs Emily driving up the highway with the two kids every second weekend for home games compared to monthly plane trips with two toddlers or how much winning now and continuity play into things are anyone's guess... outside of immediate family, and a few confidants, I'm guessing that there isn't anyone else that knows.

As for negatives about the BC situation. Tax and cost of living are quite different than Edmonton. Facilities are not nearly on the same level - and this is a guy that puts in most of his waking time at the facility. If he's even met Coach Claybrooks, it's more likely to have been shaking hands after a game, than talking about offensive philosophy, and while he's worked with Jarious Jackson previously, there is virtually an entirely new coaching staff, and presumably new schemes and large player turnover - all kinds of discontinuity that generally takes some time to sort out before things start clicking. The longer the CBA goes, if he sticks to the commitment to wait, it means less and less time with the playbook, where an existing scheme and coaching staff/relationships play in Edmonton's favour. Mike has never shied away from the "face of the franchise" role, and while he could be that in Vancouver too, there is likely a difference... for better and for worse, in not being up there in terms of popularity and recognition with McDavid.

I'm not saying be positive. I'm not saying be pessimistic. I'm just cautioning reading too much into things said by pundits and media. A recent ThreeDownNation piece talked about the lost weapons in Edmonton's receiving corps, without mentioning that every team is essentially in the same boat that way. Whoever signs Mike will likely have no trouble attracting a high-powered group of receivers to come play with him - after all, he's helped get three guys to the NFL in the past two years.

In a cap environment, it's always a natural conflict of personal financial interest and team-based goals. Think back to Fleming giving up some of his salary to allow the Esks to retain Hervey, back in the day, when he had reportedly come to terms with Ottawa. There will be a balance, ultimately, between family, finance and football wherever he lands.
    At the end of the day if he isn't signed by FA I look elsewhere as we can't afford to start the season without a proven QB and at 34 I would not break the bank

vCash

At the end of the day if he isn't signed by FA I look elsewhere as we can't afford to start the season without a proven QB and at 34 I would not break the bank
    We would lose all credible claims to be able to say that we're fully committed to him and willing to let him explore his options.

If other QBs start signing en mass when free agency starts, that may change the level of pressure, but to act to close off our best option before we have to seems illogical to me.

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

MR's stated goal is he wants to win championships. The money will boil down to very similar offers. MR knows the BC GM has a team on the rise and is capable of building a championship team in a very short time. Does what he's seen of BS give him the same confidence? I don't see how
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Anyone who thinks that Hervey hasn't spoken to Reilly given their relationship and the fact that Hervey is a few hours up the highway is very naive in my opinion. I am not trying to be disrespectful or insulting. GM's talk to free agents all the time. How else do you explain when free agency opens, contracts are miraculously agreed upon, signed and filed minutes in if they haven't talked before. I don't know who Reilly's agent is but I doubt Reilly is his only client. No one is going to convince me that Hervey or other GM's don't call up an agent for player X who is technically their property until free agency happens so they are allowed and then in passing just happen to ask about player Y who isn't their property. I have done the drive from Vancouver to Seattle. There is a pretty big outlet mall just outside of Seattle.

Mike: Hey Swerve, what are you doing here?
    Hervey: Hey Mike, just doing a little shopping, you know I like my clothes, got to stay fresh.
    Mike: I hear you man.
    Hervey: Hey Mike, what are you doing right now, want to go for a beer?
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    MR's stated goal is he wants to win championships. The money will boil down to very similar offers. MR knows the BC GM has a team on the rise and is capable of building a championship team in a very short time. Does what he's seen of BS give him the same confidence? I don't see how
    I have belief in Ed as a GM. I think he's proven the ability to identify coaching talent and given them the leash to do their own thing. I think he's proven the ability to develop and implement a scouting system - at least under the old football ops rules - and the talent evaluation/identification is up there with anyone.

I do have to question that he's got a team on the rise, and I'm not sure that I see him building a championship team in a very short time. You might be absolutely right, but I have some doubts.

1) Chris Jones, another good football mind by most any measure, took a fully intact staff with him and had full operational control and an immense budget behind the scenes, and it took him almost a full two seasons to get a respectable team, and another year to be closing in as a contender.

2) I have a lot of respect for Claybrooks, but this is a brand-new staff with little continuity, and some coaches with next to no coaching experience. Surely, there will be some learning curves as they bring in new schemes and systems - that lack of continuity could certainly lead to a slower start for the Claybrooks era.

3) The roster is fundamentally unknown. They'll have decisions to make on whether to continue with veterans like Lulay, Elimimian and Arceneaux, that have been big impacts on the culture of the organization through the past number of years. They'll have decisions to make on free agents like Awe, Burnham, Posey, Orange and Lee, who are likely to draw significant interest and possibly raises. They'll have decisions to make on Lemon, Foster and Sutton, guys likely making veteran money and unlikely to take big pay-cuts.

They have the opportunity to re-invent much of the roster and culture... but in some ways, that's closer to expansion team than contender... albeit with two very good tackles (on both sides of the ball). If they can land Reilly, it obviously positions them better, but we're talking chicken and egg - what is the case you use, other than showing somewhat of a blank canvas, to use the roster to convince him that you're close to winning and he's the missing piece?

----------------

In Edmonton, there are many of the same things around the roster being unknown, but you've got a coaching staff with relative continuity, an offensive scheme that Mike is known to like and be comfortable with and a cap situation built around a top-tier QB salary. The longer the process goes to make the decision, doesn't that make that continuity all the more important to success in 2019? I'm not saying that these are things that Brock has done to give him confidence (though, I will credit him for not making Maas walk the plank), and everyone's hands are tied with free agency and the CBA's potential impact on that, but Brock has had the opportunity to inform and involve Mike in the decisions at every step of the way over the past few months.

Anyone who thinks that Hervey hasn't spoken to Reilly given their relationship and the fact that Hervey is a few hours up the highway is very naive in my opinion. I am not trying to be disrespectful or insulting. GM's talk to free agents all the time. How else do you explain when free agency opens, contracts are miraculously agreed upon, signed and filed minutes in if they haven't talked before. I don't know who Reilly's agent is but I doubt Reilly is his only client. No one is going to convince me that Hervey or other GM's don't call up an agent for player X who is technically their property until free agency happens so they are allowed and then in passing just happen to ask about player Y who isn't their property. I have done the drive from Vancouver to Seattle. There is a pretty big outlet mall just outside of Seattle.

Mike: Hey Swerve, what are you doing here?
    Hervey: Hey Mike, just doing a little shopping, you know I like my clothes, got to stay fresh.
    Mike: I hear you man.
    Hervey: Hey Mike, what are you doing right now, want to go for a beer?
    There are absolutely back-channel communications, but like Diesel says, all the financial stuff is likely to be similar when it comes to Mike.

I don't believe that GMs or Coaches would risk it to meet directly with another team's free agent for the amount of time that it would take to communicate vision and strategy to the degree necessary to convince someone too make a life decision. I find those are rarely best made at Outlet Malls.

Knowing full well that Mike is going to free agency, Ed knows that he'll have his chance to talk to him at that point. There is no urgency in the situation to cause him to go outside the rules. As others have pointed out in the past, Hervey does not exactly get the benefit of the doubt treatment from the league on such matters.

vCash

He has a greater chance of doing that in BC than Ricky in Toronto, hugely because of who he is personality-wise. Also, the turnout for the “goodbye Wally” game showed me that there are a lot of people BC can win back (& win over) with more (current) on-field success.

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    The lions have nothing wr wise to offer reilly security wise then we do.. and we lost our guys to the nfl.. I think their best wr is burnham and I’ll wager he will be high sought after come feb as well.. if hey are paying reilly 700k plus to go to bc then that has a knock on effect everywhere on the team.. I believe the likes of manny ( overrated ) won’t be back anyway bc have no more pieces signed than us to lure reilly

Just mho
    I think there’s a Mike Reilly effect similar to a Connor McDavid effect (at least how it would be if the Oilers weren’t so bad/badly mismanaged). If I was a free agent receiver, I’d be watching closely where MR went because I would want to go there & I might even consider a lower salary if it meant I could win a Grey Cup (that part might take another season as the coaching staff needs to gel there).

1) Chris Jones, another good football mind by most any measure, took a fully intact staff with him and had full operational control and an immense budget behind the scenes, and it took him almost a full two seasons to get a respectable team, and another year to be closing in as a contender.
    A good defensive x’s and o’s mind, but not really for personnel - or else he wouldn’t have to have 3 rosters & take the “throw it against the wall & see what sticks” approach....and also maybe/probably some success at the expense of the rules when he’s got final say (which he didn’t in Edmonton).
    Last edited by Smartie123; 02-01-2019 at 12:46 AM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eskie54 View Post
    As much as I would like to see Reilly signed here for the rest of his career I don't think you break the bank in order to do that. The last couple of years he has taken the team on his back and carried it as far as he can but we need a better supporting cast. Clearly the team needs to upgrade in some areas so we need cap money to sign better players. If quarterbacks like Marcus Crandell and Kerry Joseph were able to win a grey cup with their teams then its not the end of the world if we lose Mike Reilly. The overall team determines the success in the end.
    An elite QB is vital to Grey Cup success in this league. Kerry Joseph won a cup only because he was the only QB uninjured that season. He won against a bunch of backups. If you have to go back 15-20 years to find another example, that only emphasizes the fact that the "Tillman" strategy of transferring resources away from the QB position into the rest of the team doesn't work. IMHO, of course.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash
    Blog Entries

So if the Als had made the right decision and hired Hervey when he was available you are saying that MR would be heading out east now because his number one goal is to win championships? I'm thinking Geography (aka family considerations) has a lot to do with it and IMO will be the number one factor (which is why I think he'll be in BC) as long as there is the strong potential to win which I believe he has with either the Lions or the Esks (and truth be told the Stamps and Riders as well since all the teams in the west have had decent to great win/loss records over the last few seasons). I do think he has a lot of confidence in the combination of BS and JM so I don't believe that will be the deciding factor resulting in us losing him. Based on your line of reasoning he should wait to see what BLM does and if he goes to the NFL promptly sign with Hufnagel and the Stamps once free agency hits.
    Last edited by adb; 02-01-2019 at 11:06 AM.

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    He has a greater chance of doing that in BC than Ricky in Toronto, hugely because of who he is personality-wise. Also, the turnout for the “goodbye Wally” game showed me that there are a lot of people BC can win back (& win over) with more (current) on-field success.
    I'm glad to hear that the "goodbye Wally" game attracted a large crowd. I'm always concerned about the health of the league in general and the fact that they were able to attract a large crowd at least points to the possibility of turning things around.

vCash

I have belief in Ed as a GM. I think he's proven the ability to identify coaching talent and given them the leash to do their own thing. I think he's proven the ability to develop and implement a scouting system - at least under the old football ops rules - and the talent evaluation/identification is up there with anyone.

I do have to question that he's got a team on the rise, and I'm not sure that I see him building a championship team in a very short time. You might be absolutely right, but I have some doubts.

2) I have a lot of respect for Claybrooks, but this is a brand-new staff with little continuity, and some coaches with next to no coaching experience. Surely, there will be some learning curves as they bring in new schemes and systems - that lack of continuity could certainly lead to a slower start for the Claybrooks era.

3) The roster is fundamentally unknown. They'll have decisions to make on whether to continue with veterans like Lulay, Elimimian and Arceneaux, that have been big impacts on the culture of the organization through the past number of years. They'll have decisions to make on free agents like Awe, Burnham, Posey, Orange and Lee, who are likely to draw significant interest and possibly raises. They'll have decisions to make on Lemon, Foster and Sutton, guys likely making veteran money and unlikely to take big pay-cuts.

They have the opportunity to re-invent much of the roster and culture... but in some ways, that's closer to expansion team than contender... albeit with two very good tackles (on both sides of the ball). If they can land Reilly, it obviously positions them better, but we're talking chicken and egg - what is the case you use, other than showing somewhat of a blank canvas, to use the roster to convince him that you're close to winning and he's the missing piece?

----------------

In Edmonton, there are many of the same things around the roster being unknown, but you've got a coaching staff with relative continuity, an offensive scheme that Mike is known to like and be comfortable with and a cap situation built around a top-tier QB salary. The longer the process goes to make the decision, doesn't that make that continuity all the more important to success in 2019? I'm not saying that these are things that Brock has done to give him confidence (though, I will credit him for not making Maas walk the plank), and everyone's hands are tied with free agency and the CBA's potential impact on that, but Brock has had the opportunity to inform and involve Mike in the decisions at every step of the way over the past few months.

There are absolutely back-channel communications, but like Diesel says, all the financial stuff is likely to be similar when it comes to Mike.

I don't believe that GMs or Coaches would risk it to meet directly with another team's free agent for the amount of time that it would take to communicate vision and strategy to the degree necessary to convince someone too make a life decision. I find those are rarely best made at Outlet Malls.

Knowing full well that Mike is going to free agency, Ed knows that he'll have his chance to talk to him at that point. There is no urgency in the situation to cause him to go outside the rules. As others have pointed out in the past, Hervey does not exactly get the benefit of the doubt treatment from the league on such matters.
    I was using the Outlet Mall as a bit of a joke, relax man. My point is, I have a hard time believing that GM's in pursuit of free agent players, never talk to them before free agency, never email, never text, never happen to just see them by "accident" on a scouting trip or never tell their signed players to go and recruit them when they are working out with each other. They all just follow the "no tampering" rules to the the letter, wait patiently in their office and when free agency opens, they miraculously know exactly what the player wants in salary, bonuses, contract length and whatever other clauses the player wants in the contract, the documents are all made up, reviewed by both sides, get signed and filed to the league in a matter of 5 mins when free agency opens. Unless I am mistaken, I don't think the CFL has the little courting period that the NHL has. I believe no team is allowed to talk to ANY player that is technically still under contract until free agency opens. So all the stuff needed to sign a free agent player to a new team must just happen by magic because they wouldn't dare talk to these guy before because it's against the rules. RIIIIIIIGHT!!!
    Last edited by Sectionq; 02-01-2019 at 09:46 AM.

vCash

I'm glad to hear that the "goodbye Wally" game attracted a large crowd. I'm always concerned about the health of the league in general and the fact that they were able to attract a large crowd at least points to the possibility of turning things around.
    Such a beautiful stadium and a large population to draw from; I really hope the Lions can get things going. I honestly think it will help when they get a new owner.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

----------------

MR has experienced first hand both what EH can do with a roster in a short window from nothing, and what BS has done, inheriting a championship calibre roster and seeing it regress at a steady rate. When it comes to trust, the EE are at a big disadvantage
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

MR has experienced first hand both what EH can do with a roster in a short window from nothing, and what BS has done, inheriting a championship calibre roster and seeing it regress at a steady rate. When it comes to trust, the EE are at a big disadvantage
    Mr best statistical period is under Jason maas..

Qbs don’t play for gms they play for their brothers on the field and coaches they trust in..

If brock plays this right he can’t lose!

Why would mike wanna play anywhere else if he wants to win right away? Way to many folx on here so far up bc arses now because ed is there..
    sure ed is great but bc are a long ways off a winner imho..

U get the feeling that people would be happy if mike left the eskimos to go to bc..

We’re better then bc.. in every aspect from staff to coaches to players .. I believe ed is the better gm but we win every other catagory.. don’t @ me for believing in US!

vCash

I was using the Outlet Mall as a bit of a joke, relax man. My point is, I have a hard time believing that GM's in pursuit of free agent players, never talk to them before free agency, never email, never text, never happen to just see them by "accident" on a scouting trip or never tell their signed players to go and recruit them when they are working out with each other. They all just follow the "no tampering" rules to the the letter, wait patiently in their office and when free agency opens, they miraculously know exactly what the player wants in salary, bonuses, contract length and whatever other clauses the player wants in the contract, the documents are all made up, reviewed by both sides, get signed and filed to the league in a matter of 5 mins when free agency opens. Unless I am mistaken, I don't think the CFL has the little courting period that the NHL has. I believe no team is allowed to talk to ANY player that is technically still under contract until free agency opens. So all the stuff needed to sign a free agent player to a new team must just happen by magic because they wouldn't dare talk to these guy before because it's against the rules. RIIIIIIIGHT!!!
    They don’t, but they should.

vCash

Yeah, I know it would benefit both the player and the football organizations. Fortunately we are a small league where you can get a good grasp on players from other teams, but I agree with you.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

I agree they should.. would speed up the process as well for everyone!

Ed's a proven commodity there's no doubt about that, and I'd love it if he was still here. Granted I don't have much inside perspective on how Brock operates but I don't think he's made any horrendous errors from what I can see. There have been some moves that didn't pan out but every GM is gonna fall victim to that throughout their careers unless they have a crystal ball on hand which none do as far as I know. The key to me though is not whether a move is 'bad' or 'good' because that is pretty subjective and requires the benefit of hindsight most of the time, and usually us fans don't have all the info as to why these moves are made either which makes it even tougher to judge accurately, so what I look for is rationality, and as far as I can see Brock has yet to make a move that could be deemed totally irrational, its not like he's trading HOF QB's for magic beans, or secretly acquiring lame duck kickers in the middle of the night. I haven't loved everything's he's done, didn't like seeing Odell leave town but I could see the logic in it, and getting Ceresna was nice.

I also heard that Maas essentially hired Brock, or was pushing hard for him to get the job at the very least so if that's true then I take comfort in the fact that Jason trusts this guys abilities, and Mike Reilly himself was tweeting some positive things about his opinion of Jason and Brock last off-season.

I dunno, maybe you know something I don't but like I said, from what I've seen so far there hasn't been many signs that he's gonna totally flame out as a GM but time will tell. This year is huge for him in my view, just trying to let the guy sink or swim on his own merit regardless of my dislike for his boss because ultimately I'm still a fan of the Eskimos and want to see them succeed.
    Last edited by ben_the_eskimo; 02-01-2019 at 02:44 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    Ed's a proven commodity there's no doubt about that, and I'd love it if he was still here. Granted I don't have much inside perspective on how Brock operates but I don't think he's made any horrendous errors from what I can see. There have been some moves that didn't pan out but every GM is gonna fall victim to that throughout their careers unless they have a crystal ball on hand which none do as far as I know. The key to me though is not whether a move is 'bad' or 'good' because that is pretty subjective and requires the benefit of hindsight most of the time, and usually us fans don't have all the info as to why these moves are made either which makes it even tougher to judge accurately, so what I look for is rationality, and as far as I can see Brock has yet to make a move that could be deemed totally irrational, its not like he's trading HOF QB's for magic beans, or secretly acquiring lame duck kickers in the middle of the night. I haven't loved everything's he's done, didn't like seeing Odell leave town but I could see the logic in it, and getting Ceresna was nice.

I also heard that Maas essentially hired Brock, or was pushing hard for him to get the job at the very least so if that's true then I take comfort in the fact that Jason trusts this guys abilities, and Mike Reilly himself was tweeting some positive things about his opinion of Jason and Brock last off-season.

I dunno, maybe you know something I don't but like I said, from what I've seen so far there hasn't been many signs that he's gonna totally flame out as a GM but time will tell. This year is huge for him in my view, just trying to let the guy sink or swim on his own merit regardless of my dislike for his boss because ultimately I'm still a fan of the Eskimos and want to see them succeed.
    Every GM, outside of Huff, has their share of wins and losses. I judge based on their ability to consistently put a winning team on the field and their ability to uncover some hidden gems. Hervey proved his metal in those categories but was not perfect by any means (Simoni, Masoli and Wojt for Rockhill and Kanya) year 3 for Brock will be a telling year for me and I'm excited to see how its gonna turn out.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!