Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: If Reilly Leaves....

vCash

Re: If Reilly Leaves....

I’m really thinking it’s time for plan b. Hopefully they can get that!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    On the bright side, maybe Reilly leaving will be the final nail in Rhodes coffin, doubt he goes to BC if Ed wasn't there.

- - - Updated - - -

That's what the headline said but Gerrys article doesn't really provide any new info or insights.

https://edmontonsun.com/sports/footb...ould-be-missed
    Nor does the initial Ed Willes article in Vancouver. Seattle/Hervey/Big offer... other than that, his best evidence to draw a 99% certainty is "The Lions need to make a splash".

It may well play out that he signs in BC, but other than the story breaking about the Esks granting permission, I haven't seen any credible journalism on the subject, but rather just speculation based on elements that we've essentially known for months. It feels like some are just repeating the conclusions of others.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    I see your location is listed as Vancouver Island so are you secretly a Lions fan? I say that because the only reason in my mind anyone would suggest signing a 40 yr old football player is because they don't cheer for that team and want them to do foolish moves to make them worse. Kevin Glenn will be 40 freaking years old in June man. I am really glad Kevin Glenn is a respected teammate. He did it. He got that last elusive jersey. He's got all 9. Way to go. He had a real solid career. Guys like Looner can laugh at me and call me Mr. Negative all they want, I am cool with that. But if an organization is serious about winning football games, you don't put 45 yr old retired receivers on your neg list nor do you sign sign 40 yr old football players.
    How old was Burris when he won the Grey Cup?

You obviously believe that football is only a physical game and has no mental component where experience and knowledge factor in. You also show a lack of understanding about the roles of backup QB, locker room chemistry and dynamics and film study.

The Esks invested in Glenn last year to make Reilly a better prepared QB in a Grey Cup host year. He was believed to be a benefit to one of the top QBs in the league working in an offense that he'd been in for three years, and you think he wouldn't help a brand new QB coming in to a complex and unfamiliar offence.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    Nor does the initial Ed Willes article in Vancouver. Seattle/Hervey/Big offer... other than that, his best evidence to draw a 99% certainty is "The Lions need to make a splash".

It may well play out that he signs in BC, but other than the story breaking about the Esks granting permission, I haven't seen any credible journalism on the subject, but rather just speculation based on elements that we've essentially known for months. It feels like some are just repeating the conclusions of others.
    In a tweet Willis says 99% then adds the caveat if it doesn't happen remember the 1%. Whatever happens for the sake of both clubs and their fans who are getting ulcers over this it would be nice if we knew Reilly's final answer before Tuesday.

vCash

700k for one player. Does that make sense in the CFL? Is that a wise move?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    It looks like the Eskimos have asked Dave Campbell to help them prepare the masses for MRís exit. It certainly seems that way on Twitter.

My perspective:
    The ďitís all about location, we win in all other regards including $$$ offersĒ narrative really shows an oversimplification of all the factors at play, but most people will take it at face value.

The integrity of the entire EE organization has eroded away. If Mike leaves, maybe that has something to do with it???
    If Reilly leaves, he leaves. Iím sure heíll set his own narrative for why. Weíll see how both teams build from there and that will tell a story. You have to recruit really well when your QB eats what he will make.

Maybe itís organization integrity - and Rhodes would be wise to listen to his fan base and let football people operate - but there could be other factors besides location. The offence could have won and executed and didnít. I donít think it was all on the O-line as opposed to play calling and I still donít buy that the players were as pleased with coaching as let on.

Team dynamics evolve and change. It would have been interesting in hindsight to see how the Hervey regime dealt with the aging roster, the need to rebuild the secondary, and Maasí loyalty to Benevides had they been here. Unfortunately, theyíre not, so there will always be those who picture the grass being much greener that way.

Sunderland is here and weíre dealing in reality. I believe he was legitimate in the offers heís talked about making to Reilly and Iím sure he also knows that while he had to make them PR wise, that those offers would make it tougher to afford the veterans they need. While Reilly is the best at what he does, the flexibility can be a plus. Itís now on him and the people he finally has been able to put in place to sink or swim.

vCash

The bigger question is how the league's best player was ever permitted to become a free agent in the first place. The media tried to spin it that all the top QBs were waiting to see what the salaries would be like under the new CBA, but face it, no UFA QB is going to wait until the month before the season starts to sign with a team. This was mishandled from the start, but no surprise. Franchise players in this league are usually locked up before they enter their free agency year. If Edmonton was a winning team with a shot at the Grey Cup on an annual basis, then staying with the Esks might be more attractive. If Mitchell doesn't sign as an nth-stringer in the NFL, you think he'd sign anywhere other than Calgary as a UFA?

As a fan, I don't want a player who doesn't want to be here, so for me it really comes down to why the organization wasn't attractive to Reilly at this point in his career. If he leaves, I place the blame elsewhere. My bigger concern is who Sunderland brings in. The last time we let a franchise QB go we were force fed Steven Jyles. Tillman tried to convince us he was an actual starter, and we all knew the season was over before it even began. I don't want to hear Rhodes trying to whoop up the fan base with Kevin Glenn as the starter.
    Last edited by Pitfall Harry; 02-09-2019 at 11:06 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post
    700k for one player. Does that make sense in the CFL? Is that a wise move?
    Part of me says that's too much. But then in the case of Reilly that's $150K more than he was making at the start of his current contract. If the cap goes up only the normal $50K then the cap will have gone up $200K since then. So a bit of such a salary increase is absorbed in cap increases. Then there's the unknown of the cap after the CBA. So while on the surface it doesn't seem to make any sense I think it makes more sense than it appears to at first blush.......if that makes any sense.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfall Harry View Post
    The bigger question is how the league's best player was ever permitted to become a free agent in the first place. T.
    If he wants to leave to be closer to him family how can u fault the esks on that. I don't like rodent either but blaming the esks for letting him b a free agent and go. Closer to home is bullspit

- - - Updated - - -

Jed Roberts is saying Reilly to bc is done. Traded for Jennings and couple other players is guess. Before Free agency so they can sign him.

Again if Reilly wants to leave because family and I believe that is the reason I can't be mad at him. Just hope he isn't as effective in their offence like he was in maas'

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    If he wants to leave to be closer to him family how can u fault the esks on that. I don't like rodent either but blaming the esks for letting him b a free agent and go.
    That argument would be more persuasive if he hadn't already renewed with the Esks once before. But the prospect of playing under Jones and Hervey is a lot more appetizing than playing under a HC and GM who are learning on the job.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfall Harry View Post
    That argument would be more persuasive if he hadn't already renewed with the Esks once before. But the prospect of playing under Jones and Hervey is a lot more appetizing than playing under a HC and GM who are learning on the job.
    He didn't have two young daughters when he renewed last time.

Interesting that you'd characterize Maas as 'learning on the job' and not mention BC's rookie head coach in that sentence.

vCash

I have faith in the Maas system to be productive with someone else at qb. The fact that the next qb will probably be half the price of mike helps too. Donít get me wrong, I want Mike here but I have faith the team can forward relatively well without him.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    I have faith in the Maas system to be productive with someone else at qb. The fact that the next qb will probably be half the price of mike helps too. Don’t get me wrong, I want Mike here but I have faith the team can forward relatively well without him.
    Very well ****ing said... I’m saying the same thing.. we’re gonna be alright.. either way!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Very well ****ing said... I’m saying the same thing.. we’re gonna be alright.. either way!
    I second this.....

Very curious to see who we target in FA with 350 000-400 000 that WIL be saved at the QB position. Many top tier FA available at all positions. This all works if we able to get Jennings signed. I guess he will be at the 350 000 range. I know many think Walker will follow Reilly to BC. If I was BS I would overpay to keep him. He will make what ever QB we have look much better. With loss of Mitchell and Williams I think Walker should be top priority. If Walker does go to BC he should be leaving money in the table. Esks should not get outbid...

Also love to get DB Yell from B.C. all star DB. I’d like to see him and Grymes together at HB...

vCash
    Blog Entries

Edmonton sun and Vancouver Sun reporting that Reilly has played his last game as an Eskimo and will sign with BC Lions on Tuesday morning , if this is indeed true I wanna say TY to Mike for telling everybody that he will wait for the new CBA before signing .Who is your number one Qb now in Free Agency if Mike is gone ?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by dealerd View Post
    Edmonton sun and Vancouver Sun reporting that Reilly has played his last game as an Eskimo and will sign with BC Lions on Tuesday morning , if this is indeed true I wanna say TY to Mike for telling everybody that he will wait for the new CBA before signing .Who is your number one Qb now in Free Agency if Mike is gone ?
    Harris is the best fa... outside of bo who wont be leaving calgary

vCash

Itíll be interesting to see if there was a trade completed. Iíve heard for Jennings and other players with some on other boards suggesting Elimimian among them. Guess weíll see in 2-3 days.

It would appear Jennings is a target, but Iíd think and hope Sunderland kicks the tires on Harris, too.

vCash

BC would not have traded anything, Reilly becomes a free agent in a few days and wants to go to BC. There is no need to trade anything.

I will maintain while BC is winning grey cups these next few years that Reilly wouldn’t have left if our organization showed it cared about winning.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    I fully believe being closer to his family is his number one priority. I know there will be people that will use esks management as the reason he might leave. Help with the Rhodents suck, Brock is an idiot agenda. Brock is forever screwed as an Esks GM because he will never get a fair shake because the dip**** fired Hervey.

We also need to consider Maas' and Reilly's connection. Reilly took off under Maas' system - who is to say he'll do the same should he be in BC ?

Its been reported is a mere 30mins travel.. not 2 hrs.
    Depending on where he lives thereís a plane leaves every 1/2 from downtown Vancouver harbour to Seattle very easy commute.
    Edmonton Eskimos.
    Western Division 1st place: 23ó1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2002, 2003, and 2015
    Western Division Champions: 23ó1952, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1960, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1986, 1987, 1990, 1993, 1996, 2002, 2003, 2005 and 2015
    Grey Cup championships: 14ó1954, 1955, 1956, 1975, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1987, 1993, 2003, 2005 and 2015

vCash

BLM may get more money then Reilly in FA if he decided on returning to the CFL. Harris i don't think is much less then Reilly in all do respect. If Reilly get $700 000, i could see BLM at the 750 000 and Harris at the 600 000 range. I still think Jennings is a target. I cannot see him getting close to those three established QB in terms of money. I agree that Jennings is a bit of a hit/miss FA. Can he return to form that we saw a few years ago or does his progression contine in a downward trend? I think the money saved with Jennings would greatly improve our team in bringing in quality FA that immediately help the team. An addition of an allsatr DB and LB would greatly improve our team and lessen the blow of losing MR.

My fear is we lose out on Jennings, BLM signs with CAL and Harris back to OTT. We then left with Collaros.... Jennings > Collaros IMHO. Only other option is work a trade with TOR for Franklin. Since we granted MR permission to talk to other teams, wonder if BC allow Jennings to talk to us?

My 3 cents...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    BC would not have traded anything, Reilly becomes a free agent in a few days and wants to go to BC. There is no need to trade anything.

I will maintain while BC is winning grey cups these next few years that Reilly wouldn’t have left if our organization showed it cared about winning.
    There’s quite a bit of smoke about the trade scenario, even Jed Roberts apparently floated that. May not be current assets as much as free agent or neg list rights.

vCash

3 DownNation saying this morning that the Argos tried to extend Franklin's contract , but were rebuffed. He still has the 2019 season remaining with them then is a FA. Always liked him here, but he never had much to work with last year in Toronto. I imagine they'd want to rape and pillage us if we were serious about trading for him.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP12 View Post
    I second this.....

Very curious to see who we target in FA with 350 000-400 000 that WIL be saved at the QB position. Many top tier FA available at all positions. This all works if we able to get Jennings signed. I guess he will be at the 350 000 range. I know many think Walker will follow Reilly to BC. If I was BS I would overpay to keep him. He will make what ever QB we have look much better. With loss of Mitchell and Williams I think Walker should be top priority. If Walker does go to BC he should be leaving money in the table. Esks should not get outbid...

Also love to get DB Yell from B.C. all star DB. I’d like to see him and Grymes together at HB...
    Yell was not re-signed by BC last off-season & is an Argo. Yes, he’s a free agent, but to me, he is undersized

Quote Originally Posted by BeaverSports View Post
    It’ll be interesting to see if there was a trade completed. I’ve heard for Jennings and other players with some on other boards suggesting Elimimian among them. Guess we’ll see in 2-3 days.

It would appear Jennings is a target, but I’d think and hope Sunderland kicks the tires on Harris, too.

I don’t understand how a trade would benefit BC. If all the smoke comes to fruition, Mike is signing there of his own free will. Jennings is a free agent & it’s clear he & the Lions are parting ways. A trade benefits Edmonton only, no?
    Last edited by Smartie123; 02-10-2019 at 09:52 AM.

vCash

THIS.

vCash

Look earlier in this thread... the Edmonton Sun is simply quoting the Vancouver article which is an opinion piece with no new information.

It might be true...maybe they know something they can't report. But I don't see any new information in the Vancouver article.

My guess is that the Edmonton Sun misinterpreted the first sentence of the Vancouver article as news reporting rather than as prediction.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Yell was not re-signed by BC last off-season & is an Argo. Yes, heís a free agent, but to me, he is undersized

I donít understand how a trade would benefit BC. If all the smoke comes to fruition, Mike is signing there of his own free will. Jennings is a free agent & itís clear he & the Lions are parting ways. A trade benefits Edmonton only, no?
    A straight Jennings for Reilly benefits both in that both get an early opportunity at an asset. Maybe Hervey had some guys heíd have to dump cap wise anyway that heíd flip to get some exclusivity or certainty.

vCash

Even more QB's could be part of the 2019 pivot carousel...James Franklin turned down a contract extension according to Justin Dunk. Franklin will make 400k this year. Do the Argos go with a guy who will be a free agent next year, or do they try and lock in another big name QB, and then move Franklin?
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

My bad...was thinking TJ LEE from B.C....

vCash

Yell was not re-signed by BC last off-season & is an Argo. Yes, he’s a free agent, but to me, he is undersized

I don’t understand how a trade would benefit BC. If all the smoke comes to fruition, Mike is signing there of his own free will. Jennings is a free agent & it’s clear he & the Lions are parting ways. A trade benefits Edmonton only, no?
    What a sexist remark! Are you never satisfied and how would you know???
    WALTER IS MY HERO!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pizmo View Post
    What a sexist remark! Are you never satisfied and how would you know???
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie