Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: If Reilly Leaves....

vCash

Re: If Reilly Leaves....

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    BC would not have traded anything, Reilly becomes a free agent in a few days and wants to go to BC. There is no need to trade anything.

I will maintain while BC is winning grey cups these next few years that Reilly wouldn’t have left if our organization showed it cared about winning.
    I could still see a trade for the simple reason it would allow Sunderland to show they got something for Reilly as opposed to letting him walk for nothing. Even if BC knew they would get Reilly's signature on Tuesday they could still cobble together a package of pieces that while amounting to no loss on their end could have value to the Esks. Jennings obviously is not in BC's plans but could be high on Edmonton's FA shopping list if they were to lose Reilly. If so getting his negotiating rights prior to free agency would have value as I think they could quickly sign him. I could be wrong but I think Elimimian who is under contract would likely be an SMS casualty. Tack on another piece like a later draft pick or perhaps a neg list player and you might have something that effectively costs BC nothing while getting the
    Eskimos something for Reilly as opposed to nothing. Question is would Hervey be that charitable?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    I could still see a trade for the simple reason it would allow Sunderland to show they got something for Reilly as opposed to letting him walk for nothing. Even if BC knew they would get Reilly's signature on Tuesday they could still cobble together a package of pieces that while amounting to no loss on their end could have value to the Esks.
    If you were the BC Lions, I don't see much motivation in this. A good will gesture I guess. I think the only way Brock gets something back is if there was some agreement tied into allowing the Lions to speak to Mike beforehand. It would be nice, but my hopes aren't high.
    Last edited by Hugoagogo; 02-10-2019 at 12:17 PM.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Hervey may want Jennings to hit free agency for the hope that his price increases with teams bidding for his services. Very similar what BS did publically saying that MR camp could write their own cheque to resign with the EE. I’m sure that will play into what MR signs for with B.C....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    If you were the BC Lions, I don't see much motivation in this. A good will gesture I guess. I think the only way Brock gets something back is if there was some agreement tied into allowing the Lions to speak to Mike beforehand. It would be nice, but my hopes aren't high.
    Definitely no motivation for BC to do it other than officially getting his rights and officially signing him prior to free agency eliminates any possibility of something going sideways. That in turn could allow them to take care of other plans with their own pending FAs before they hit the market, plans that have been waiting until the QB situation was resolved. As for any agreements I guess it depends on who Brock gave permission to. Did he give the teams permission to talk to Reilly's camp or did he give permission for Reilly's camp to talk to the teams? If the latter, which is how Dunk and Naylor reported it, then it would be difficult to have any such agreement.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BeaverSports View Post
    A straight Jennings for Reilly benefits both in that both get an early opportunity at an asset. Maybe Hervey had some guys he’d have to dump cap wise anyway that he’d flip to get some exclusivity or certainty.
    There’s absolutely no reason for BC to do this. Someone is making stuff up for click bait....it’s laughable. Why would you trade away assets if you could outright sign someone? CFL doesn’t have guaranteed contracts, so you cut whoever is expendable.

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP12 View Post
    My bad...was thinking TJ LEE from B.C....
    Got it. He’s decent & besties with Grymes ....but even more undersized than Yell (that was for pizmo)...

Quote Originally Posted by pizmo View Post
    What a sexist remark! Are you never satisfied and how would you know???
    Hahahahahaha
    Last edited by Smartie123; 02-10-2019 at 02:29 PM.

vCash

I still for the life of me cannot see any attraction for Jennings. He's awful. I'll be monumentally disappointed if he is the answer.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I still for the life of me cannot see any attraction for Jennings. He's awful. I'll be monumentally disappointed if he is the answer.
    I have to agree. I feel like the Esks would be better off gambling on an unknown than going with Jennings.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post
    I have to agree. I feel like the Esks would be better off gambling on an unknown than going with Jennings.
    Taking Jennings is a gamble, but at least you've seen what he could do at one point. He dropped off but could revive surely...

I'd rather someone with CFL experience than total green.
    The guys got an arm. With Maas offence, boom.

P.S. Hell no to Collaros.

Or pry a stupid Reed to give up Pipkin.
    That guys got gumption

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    THIS!
    I’d try pry Franklin out of TO or go after Harris. In fact I’d take Lulay over Jennings personally.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

vCash

after we get a #1, who is going to be #2?

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post

I will maintain while BC is winning grey cups these next few years that Reilly wouldn’t have left if our organization showed it cared about winning.
    Man I hate Rhodent.

vCash

Might be unpopular here.....but I have a feeling that Jennings could rejuvenate his career with the he EE and regain that form from 2 yrs ago. Wasn’t too long ago many including myself thought Jennings could become a star for many years. He still young and with a change of scenery and established offence could relish.

I was at the game in late July BC @EDM and EE won in a shoot out and Jennings went toe to toe with Reilly and I think had more passing yards. He impressed me that night.... now that being said he could be an absolute bust again this season. Colloras scares me. BLM most likely back in Cal. Harris most likely back in OTT and Tor May hold onto Franklin... so I feel Jennings May be the one with some experience.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    Man I hate Rhodent.
    Yeah, I'm not a fan of the board either...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    THIS!
    I’d try pry Franklin out of TO or go after Harris. In fact I’d take Lulay over Jennings personally.
    TO won't be moving Franklin unless they have someone to replace him. Turftoe's post #382 in this thread indicated the Argos have tried to extend him so obviously they have no intention of moving away from him at this point. That he apparently rebuffed that also is not surprising depending on the offer. He could well be gambling that having a good year this year will positively impact his market value when he approaches free agency next offseason. He certainly stands a good chance to improve on last year if Ray doesn't return and he can go to camp pencilled in as the Argo starter with all the reps and focus that affords. I honestly cannot see the Argos gambling on Ray again unless it's to be backup/mentor for Franklin. If he were willing to do that in Toronto he could very well be willing to do the same thing in Edmonton behind somebody like Jennings.

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    Man I hate Rhodent.
    Yup, this whole mess is his fault.

vCash

honestly I just wish this was over... so we can move on... Esks have survived losing other great QBs and we will again... just hope its not like the Tom Mueke, Vargas, lebetter days,....

vCash

TO won't be moving Franklin unless they have someone to replace him. Turftoe's post #382 in this thread indicated the Argos have tried to extend him so obviously they have no intention of moving away from him at this point. That he apparently rebuffed that also is not surprising depending on the offer. He could well be gambling that having a good year this year will positively impact his market value when he approaches free agency next offseason. He certainly stands a good chance to improve on last year if Ray doesn't return and he can go to camp pencilled in as the Argo starter with all the reps and focus that affords. I honestly cannot see the Argos gambling on Ray again unless it's to be backup/mentor for Franklin. If he were willing to do that in Toronto he could very well be willing to do the same thing in Edmonton behind somebody like Jennings.
    Part of the speculation with Franklin was that he'd be more tradable with an extension, IF the Argos were to make a play for one of the FA QBs.

If the report is accurate, and that Franklin is set to make $350k in hard money with another $50k in incentives, and he's hesitant to re-up... is it really likely that Jennings comes in lower than that in a bidding war with presumably more buyers than QBs.

I agree that he's tradable only if the Argos sign a FA they want more.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    Part of the speculation with Franklin was that he'd be more tradable with an extension, IF the Argos were to make a play for one of the FA QBs.

If the report is accurate, and that Franklin is set to make $350k in hard money with another $50k in incentives, and he's hesitant to re-up... is it really likely that Jennings comes in lower than that in a bidding war with presumably more buyers than QBs.

I agree that he's tradable only if the Argos sign a FA they want more.
    Hard to say. If that's what he was set to get maybe Popp was wanting to extend as a restructuring exercise possibly bringing it down a bit in exchange for extra years. I guess tradeability would be a matter of opinion. Is he more tradeable with an extension negotiated by the Argos or would a prospective trading partner rather get him first and work on an extension on their terms?

Another thing I'm curious about is IF Reilly signs for $700K be it in Edmonton or BC what will that do to the market values of all QBs. Have to think Mitchell would expect something similar. I would think Harris' market value and price would also go up as would that of any other pending FA QB such as Jennings, Collaros, Bridge etc.

vCash

Yes a number of people have said TO won’t ship him out, but he’s essentially paid as a starter who doesn’t start. I think posters here forget Bethel-Thompson finished the year for the Argos. Plus they have Ray in play still there. There is a chance Franklin goes into camp as a 3rd string an but posters here think we can’t get him?
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

vCash

If Reilly goes, Harris is the big fish. Franklin as a starter is an unknown, but possibly with a tremendous upside. Nicholls and Reilly had to get their starts somewhere. I could handle Franklin if Reilly bolts.

vCash

Yes a number of people have said TO won’t ship him out, but he’s essentially paid as a starter who doesn’t start. I think posters here forget Bethel-Thompson finished the year for the Argos.
    If I recall correctly, Franklin started the last four games of the season for the Argos. Bethel Thompson did see 2nd half reps in the final game against Ottawa.
    Of course all of this doesn't represent much with a new head coach and new OC for 2019.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

I can see TO letting Bethel-Thompson go, but not Franklin. Bethel-Thompson's ceiling isn't nearly as high as Franklin's.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Yes a number of people have said TO won’t ship him out, but he’s essentially paid as a starter who doesn’t start. I think posters here forget Bethel-Thompson finished the year for the Argos. Plus they have Ray in play still there. There is a chance Franklin goes into camp as a 3rd string an but posters here think we can’t get him?
    Bethel-Thompson got his first action last year when he took over from Franklin getting the start on August 2nd. He started 8 in a row before giving way to Franklin part way through that 8th game. Franklin started the final 4 games. The only action Bethel-Thompson saw after losing the starting job back to Franklin was when they split the final game of the season which was the plan before the game started.
    Last edited by Hammer24; 02-10-2019 at 07:13 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    I can see TO letting Bethel-Thompson go, but not Franklin. Bethel-Thompson's ceiling isn't nearly as high as Franklin's.
    Bethel-Thompson was Trestman's favorite between the two.

vCash

What happened to McLeod Bethel-Thompson?

Hard to say. If that's what he was set to get maybe Popp was wanting to extend as a restructuring exercise possibly bringing it down a bit in exchange for extra years. I guess tradeability would be a matter of opinion. Is he more tradeable with an extension negotiated by the Argos or would a prospective trading partner rather get him first and work on an extension on their terms?

Another thing I'm curious about is IF Reilly signs for $700K be it in Edmonton or BC what will that do to the market values of all QBs. Have to think Mitchell would expect something similar. I would think Harris' market value and price would also go up as would that of any other pending FA QB such as Jennings, Collaros, Bridge etc.

Just because Edmonton reportedly offered in the 700K range does not mean BC did.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    Just because Edmonton reportedly offered in the 700K range does not mean BC did.
    So you’re saying Reilly dislikes Edmonton so much that he’ll not only leave but he’ll take less money to play in Vancouver?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    So you’re saying Reilly dislikes Edmonton so much that he’ll not only leave but he’ll take less money to play in Vancouver?
    I read on twitter bc had offered 800k

That’s insane money

vCash

What happened to McLeod Bethel-Thompson?
    He's still in Toronto......for now. A big pocket passer who doesn't use his legs much doesn't seem to be a good fit in a Chapdelaine offense. I think the starting job is Franklins to lose unless the Argos land somebody in free agency they think is an upgrade. If Harris is still available Tuesday I expect they will go hard after him. I have no idea if they think of Jennings as an upgrade on Franklin.

Rumour from yesterday had it that Braley has approved a $700K offer. You missed the point of the question which was what impact would it have on market values of other QBs IF Reilly signs for $700K. Doesn't really matter where he would sign, just how much he would sign for.

vCash

My guess is that the Esks will end up with a tandem QB situation featuring a veteran & a youngster. Best case: Ricky Ray/Jonathon Jennings. Worst case: Kevin Glenn/Brandon Bridge.

vCash

I expect the Eskimos will try to offer big money to Trevor Harris, spend time trying to get him, not get him in the end, and not end up with a QB at all.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens