Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: If Reilly Leaves....

vCash

Re: If Reilly Leaves....

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    You missed the point of the question which was what impact would it have on market values of other QBs IF Reilly signs for $700K.
    Does it really impact market values of other QBs? Possibly.

At the end of the day, GMs have to manage their teams within a salary cap. I suspect some will choose not to spend 700K on one player.

If other teams are not willing to spend over 550K on a QB, then BLM and other QBs don't have a choice.

It's a juggling act for sure. Reilly is said to have had the highest salary last year at $500K. I wonder if that hamstrung the Esks and prevented them from signing some of the big FAs?

vCash

I'll be sad to see Reilly in an orange and white uniform. But the guy is, what? 34 years old? He's still effective, but for how long?

The bigger issue for me is how the EEFC hasn't even bothered to groom a young successor. So they will be forced to go after either Harris or Collaros, and I'm not sold that either is a terrific QB.

So, they've screwed themselves. Again. Seems to be an Edmonton sports team thing.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

We thought we were done when Ray left yet we found a replacement. I am hopeful we can locate our next Reilly but I realize that our eye for talent is diluted with both Jones and Hervey gone.

vCash

Thatís my concern also.... also lose out on other FA trying to get Harris for 1st 48 hrs of FA.

My other concern is Jennings goes to SASK and we end up with Collaros once dust settles.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    How old was Burris when he won the Grey Cup?

You obviously believe that football is only a physical game and has no mental component where experience and knowledge factor in. You also show a lack of understanding about the roles of backup QB, locker room chemistry and dynamics and film study.

The Esks invested in Glenn last year to make Reilly a better prepared QB in a Grey Cup host year. He was believed to be a benefit to one of the top QBs in the league working in an offense that he'd been in for three years, and you think he wouldn't help a brand new QB coming in to a complex and unfamiliar offence.
    He's a going to be 40 yr old, journeyman QB who didn't take a single snap last year in a game past preseason. I am sorry man, I don't see any value in having a guy like that on your team. He seems to be a good guy, he's had a decent career, I am not pissing on the guy one bit, I am looking at the future of the team. Having a guy at his age, taking snaps from other QB's to me does not make ANY sense. It looks like the Esks are going to lose their franchise QB in Reilly. IMO they need to be giving snaps to guys who can potentially do the job moving forward. Could Glenn maybe be a back up for 1 more season? Sure, maybe he can. If you are a championship caliber team and you want an extra vet guy around, then maybe I could see it for 1 season. But Kevin Glenn will be 40 in June, his career is coming to an end, that's just the way it goes for pro athletes once you get to your 40's and the Esks are not a championship caliber team. I am not trying to be "Mr. Negative" like some people think I am, I am being real here. It looks like Reilly is gone, so they will have a brand new starter. We don't have a clue who it is. Regardless of who it is, it will take time for that starter to get to know the offense and get to know a brand new team and receivers. If it happens to be brand new starter to the CFL or a back up you are hoping can make the jump, there will probably be some growing pains. Taking away from the pure ability of being a QB, the Esks are going to have a MASSIVE hole leadership wise when Reilly is gone. Then they have lost their entire receiving core. Williams is gone, Mitchell is gone, Walker has basically said he's following Reilly. So bank on him being gone. 2 our of 3 of those guys are considered elite level receivers. All gone. They lost Sherritt to retirement who was there defensive captain and one of their main leaders. So in a span of a month, they will lost both of their main leaders and captains in Reilly and Sherritt. That is a difficult thing for a team to lose and it takes time to replace.

I hope I am 100% wrong and the Esks surprise the hell out of me but right now, I am seeing a down year for the Esks as they start over. So IMO, like I said, giving a 40 yr old snaps when chances are you are rebuilding, makes zero sense to me.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    I'll be sad to see Reilly in an orange and white uniform. But the guy is, what? 34 years old? He's still effective, but for how long?

The bigger issue for me is how the EEFC hasn't even bothered to groom a young successor. So they will be forced to go after either Harris or Collaros, and I'm not sold that either is a terrific QB.

So, they've screwed themselves. Again. Seems to be an Edmonton sports team thing.
    That's on Maas, too. Reilly played pretty much every snap last year. He never came out of any games the last few seasons. So a guy like Zach Kline didn't have a chance to develop here. Can't totally blame BS or EH as well when he was here. That's on Reilly wanting to play and the coaching staff letting him.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jtuck09 View Post
    That's on Maas, too. Reilly played pretty much every snap last year. He never came out of any games the last few seasons. So a guy like Zach Kline didn't have a chance to develop here. Can't totally blame BS or EH as well when he was here. That's on Reilly wanting to play and the coaching staff letting him.
    They had a up and coming successor, his name was Franklin. He got traded for not a lot last offseason.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    He's a going to be 40 yr old, journeyman QB who didn't take a single snap last year in a game past preseason. I am sorry man, I don't see any value in having a guy like that on your team. He seems to be a good guy, he's had a decent career, I am not pissing on the guy one bit, I am looking at the future of the team. Having a guy at his age, taking snaps from other QB's to me does not make ANY sense. It looks like the Esks are going to lose their franchise QB in Reilly. IMO they need to be giving snaps to guys who can potentially do the job moving forward. Could Glenn maybe be a back up for 1 more season? Sure, maybe he can. If you are a championship caliber team and you want an extra vet guy around, then maybe I could see it for 1 season. But Kevin Glenn will be 40 in June, his career is coming to an end, that's just the way it goes for pro athletes once you get to your 40's and the Esks are not a championship caliber team. I am not trying to be "Mr. Negative" like some people think I am, I am being real here. It looks like Reilly is gone, so they will have a brand new starter. We don't have a clue who it is. Regardless of who it is, it will take time for that starter to get to know the offense and get to know a brand new team and receivers. If it happens to be brand new starter to the CFL or a back up you are hoping can make the jump, there will probably be some growing pains. Taking away from the pure ability of being a QB, the Esks are going to have a MASSIVE hole leadership wise when Reilly is gone. Then they have lost their entire receiving core. Williams is gone, Mitchell is gone, Walker has basically said he's following Reilly. So bank on him being gone. 2 our of 3 of those guys are considered elite level receivers. All gone. They lost Sherritt to retirement who was there defensive captain and one of their main leaders. So in a span of a month, they will lost both of their main leaders and captains in Reilly and Sherritt. That is a difficult thing for a team to lose and it takes time to replace.

I hope I am 100% wrong and the Esks surprise the hell out of me but right now, I am seeing a down year for the Esks as they start over. So IMO, like I said, giving a 40 yr old snaps when chances are you are rebuilding, makes zero sense to me.
    Good points. I agree with most. However, I think the Maas O system is one of the best in the league. Its essentially been plug in and get an NFL shot at WR, and hes won with Reilly, Hank, Franklin at QB. I think we'll be ok regardless of who comes in.

I'm glad we've driven the price up at least for BC.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

vCash

They had a up and coming successor, his name was Franklin. He got traded for not a lot last offseason.
    Because he was soon to be a free agent and stated that he was leaving anyway...

So last year you would have ditched Reilly for Franklin (to keep Franklin happy as the starter?)
    14 and counting!

vCash

For those suggesting Ray (and trust me, I love the guy. Favorite Eskimo of all time for me) is the best case scenario as a tandem QB option, give your heads a collective shake. He is not even a shell of his former self. The only way I want to see him back here is as a coach a few years down the road.

All points given, this is a no win situation for the team. You are going to have to overpay for whoever does sign here.

Harris is one-dimensional, and lacks big game prowess (despite the EF last year).

Jennings hasn't proven anything of substance, other than a few good regular season games.

Glenn is old, and didn't take a snap last year. Not the best year of putting in work.

Collaros - oh god no. Can't stay healthy, and makes really bad decisions.

Franklin would be back on the top of the wish list, along with Streevler to back up, or pull tandem duties.

vCash

Rhodes is apparently done. That's a step in the positive direction!!

Maybe Reilly told the board he wasn't coming back due to him and the Board finally saw the light.

vCash

vCash

What a fiasco following the 2015 Grey Cup win. Letting Jones walk because they couldn't fire Hervey after just winning a cup, then firing Hervey a year later, then letting your franchise QB become a UFA, then possibly losing Reilly to Hervey... then quitting. I can't even imagine who the BofD will replace Rhodes with. Danny Hooper? Mike Sobel?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by chirp View Post
    Because he was soon to be a free agent and stated that he was leaving anyway...

So last year you would have ditched Reilly for Franklin (to keep Franklin happy as the starter?)
    Just to play devil's advocate here:

How did we finish last year WITH Mike Reilly? Now we lose him anyway and don't have Franklin.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

Just to play devil's advocate here:

How did we finish last year WITH Mike Reilly? Now we lose him anyway and don't have Franklin.
    easy to say now but can you imagine making that move in a year where you are hosting the grey cup? That would have been insane.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

Rhodes is apparently done. That's a step in the positive direction!!

Maybe Reilly told the board he wasn't coming back due to him and the Board finally saw the light.
    that'd be awesome

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    easy to say now but can you imagine making that move in a year where you are hosting the grey cup? That would have been insane.
    For sure. Damned both ways.

vCash
    Blog Entries

I definately wanted to keep Franklin and trade Reilly

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfall Harry View Post
    What a fiasco following the 2015 Grey Cup win. Letting Jones walk because they couldn't fire Hervey after just winning a cup, then firing Hervey a year later, then letting your franchise QB become a UFA, then possibly losing Reilly to Hervey... then quitting. I can't even imagine who the BofD will replace Rhodes with. Danny Hooper? Mike Sobel?
    To be fair, they didnít just let Jones walk. He was given a huge promotion by the Sliders & he took itóalong with the entire coaching staff as well. They werenít going to fire Hervey in order to retain Jones & promote him to GM....

vCash

Ultimately the best result here would be to get Harris, but I don't think he'll come here. Too bad, though. 70% passer. 2TDs for every 1INT.

vCash

Ultimately the best result here would be to get Harris, but I don't think he'll come here. Too bad, though. 70% passer. 2TDs for every 1INT.
    I wouldn't say never, he has ties to Sunderland

vCash

If we lose reilly Harris HAS to be target no1

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    I wouldn't say never, he has ties to Sunderland

Sure does..
    Edmonton westblacks?

J/k!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by dealerd View Post
    I definately wanted to keep Franklin and trade Reilly
    Thank you for not being the Esks' GM.
    14 and counting!

vCash

With a new president coming and the potential for other changes with that type of hire, I am in the "don't overspend on a FA QB" and ride out the season.
    14 and counting!

vCash

With a new president coming and the potential for other changes with that type of hire, I am in the "don't overspend on a FA QB" and ride out the season.
    Not to worry, Kevin Glenn as the starting QB won't be pricey.

vCash

In a league without guaranteed contracts, there is no need to take this approach, might as well put the best team you can on the field.

vCash

I guess but I don't want to dump a large sum just to attract a QB that this isn't his first choice. For example, if we overpay for Harris as a bandaid and have to spend more than Ottawa or Toronto.
    14 and counting!

vCash

Disappointed MR is leaving but I think the writing was on the wall when the talk began last season. I wish him nothing but the best and hold no ill will for wanting to be closer to young kids and aging parents. He played his heart on in green and gold while solidifying a position that was a disaster in 2012.

Now moving forward...I really think we kept Maas around to try to entice MR and now I am seriously worried about what this team is going to look like from top down this upcoming season. Not to be a negative nancy but BS is going to have to weave some magic to get this team into the playoff this upcoming season...
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    Disappointed MR is leaving but I think the writing was on the wall when the talk began last season. I wish him nothing but the best and hold no ill will for wanting to be closer to young kids and aging parents. He played his heart on in green and gold while solidifying a position that was a disaster in 2012.

Now moving forward...I really think we kept Maas around to try to entice MR and now I am seriously worried about what this team is going to look like from top down this upcoming season. Not to be a negative nancy but BS is going to have to weave some magic to get this team into the playoff this upcoming season...
    Maas knows Offence!! We will still be better than bc.. u can book that!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    What more can the Eskimos do? Should the fan base turn on Mike Reilly because he decides to move closer to home? Prob not.. Should the fan base turn on the top brass for doing everything they can to keep him here??? Prob not...

It's as though portions of our own fanbase can't wait to gloat if we lose Reilly....... it baffles me...
    Portions of the fanbase aren't really Eskimo fans as much as Hervey fans.