Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: If Reilly Leaves....

vCash

Re: If Reilly Leaves....

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    Portions of the fanbase aren't really Eskimo fans as much as Hervey fans.
    On here.... for sure

Joe public.. prob not as hardcore so don’t really care

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    Disappointed MR is leaving but I think the writing was on the wall when the talk began last season. I wish him nothing but the best and hold no ill will for wanting to be closer to young kids and aging parents. He played his heart on in green and gold while solidifying a position that was a disaster in 2012.

Now moving forward...I really think we kept Maas around to try to entice MR and now I am seriously worried about what this team is going to look like from top down this upcoming season. Not to be a negative nancy but BS is going to have to weave some magic to get this team into the playoff this upcoming season...
    Brock no longer has his protection from up above starting Feb 21. JM will be the meat shield the moment things go sideways.
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    Brock no longer has his protection from up above starting Feb 21. JM will be the meat shield the moment things go sideways.
    why do I get the feeling if you saw Brock walking his dog down the street you'd kick his dog ....

vCash

I have no animosity for the guy. He hasn't performed up to the level we had and has failed to bring in talent on a level we were seeing. And he was caught tampering for JM's replacement at the end of last year. JM went so far as to start cleaning out his office. BS got his pee pee smacked at the GM meetings as a result. Doesn't take much to see how this is headed.
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

Quote Originally Posted by Section N View Post
    For those suggesting Ray (and trust me, I love the guy. Favorite Eskimo of all time for me) is the best case scenario as a tandem QB option, give your heads a collective shake. He is not even a shell of his former self. The only way I want to see him back here is as a coach a few years down the road.

All points given, this is a no win situation for the team. You are going to have to overpay for whoever does sign here.

Harris is one-dimensional, and lacks big game prowess (despite the EF last year).

Jennings hasn't proven anything of substance, other than a few good regular season games.

Glenn is old, and didn't take a snap last year. Not the best year of putting in work.

Collaros - oh god no. Can't stay healthy, and makes really bad decisions.

Franklin would be back on the top of the wish list, along with Streevler to back up, or pull tandem duties.
    Jennings had a 5000+ yard season when he was 23, I don't think that's happened since Ricky Ray. I have complete faith in Maas to get JJ's mojo back, and if we're wanting to use the number two spot as a veteran mentor for the new young QB, I'd rather it be Ricky Ray than Kevin Glenn.

I'd be ecstatic if they could get Franklin back but I don't see that happening.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    Ultimately the best result here would be to get Harris, but I don't think he'll come here. Too bad, though. 70% passer. 2TDs for every 1INT.
    Harris doesn't excite me. He puts up great stats but doesn't really strike me a winner.

Kinda like a better version of Kevin Glenn to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    Disappointed MR is leaving but I think the writing was on the wall when the talk began last season. I wish him nothing but the best and hold no ill will for wanting to be closer to young kids and aging parents. He played his heart on in green and gold while solidifying a position that was a disaster in 2012.

Now moving forward...I really think we kept Maas around to try to entice MR and now I am seriously worried about what this team is going to look like from top down this upcoming season. Not to be a negative nancy but BS is going to have to weave some magic to get this team into the playoff this upcoming season...
    This is the best staff Maas has put together in his entire time here, very excited about that. There is a truckload of quality FA's out there and Brocks gonna have money to spend. This is his time to prove his metal because there IS a way out of this mess if he can get a hold of the right guys.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    Jennings had a 5000+ yard season when he was 23, I don't think that's happened since Ricky Ray. I have complete faith in Maas to get JJ's mojo back, and if we're wanting to use the number two spot as a veteran mentor for the new young QB, I'd rather it be Ricky Ray than Kevin Glenn.

I'd be ecstatic if they could get Franklin back but I don't see that happening.

- - - Updated - - -

Harris doesn't excite me. He puts up great stats but doesn't really strike me a winner.

Kinda like a better version of Kevin Glenn to me.
    Harris's stats already have him down as a proven commodity.. I think the same for as Jennings or Franklin tbh once in maas's system they will only improve across the board...

For me losing Reilly isnt scary... Mike is still a premier qb.... , but he will miss Maas more than visa versa

vCash

I loved Cody Bedwetter
    2nd & short = PUNT

I have no animosity for the guy. He hasn't performed up to the level we had and has failed to bring in talent on a level we were seeing. And he was caught tampering for JM's replacement at the end of last year. JM went so far as to start cleaning out his office. BS got his pee pee smacked at the GM meetings as a result. Doesn't take much to see how this is headed.
    That's true but this is only his second full off-season. If he was trading franchise players for magic beans and first round draft picks for kickers who can't kick I'd be wanting him fired but he hasn't. These next nine months should bring a ton of clarity in terms of what his ceiling is as a GM.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    For me losing Reilly isnt scary... Mike is still a premier qb.... , but he will miss Maas more than visa versa
    I agree, too bad we didn't have crystal ball last year. Could have locked up Franklin and traded Reilly for a kings ransom. Hindsight's always 20/20.
    Last edited by ben_the_eskimo; 02-11-2019 at 03:24 PM.

Harris's stats already have him down as a proven commodity.. I think the same for as Jennings or Franklin tbh once in maas's system they will only improve across the board...
    The thing about Harris though is he's gonna want close to the same amount we would have spent on Mike. For me, Reilly is literally the only QB I would want to spend 600k or more on. I would shell it out for him because he's such a special player but barring that, I'd rather go younger/cheaper at QB and spread the savings out across the roster.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    I'll be sad to see Reilly in an orange and white uniform. But the guy is, what? 34 years old? He's still effective, but for how long?

The bigger issue for me is how the EEFC hasn't even bothered to groom a young successor. So they will be forced to go after either Harris or Collaros, and I'm not sold that either is a terrific QB.

So, they've screwed themselves. Again. Seems to be an Edmonton sports team thing.
    You could say that about Calgary too; if they lose BLM, do you see the same kind of backlash hitting the Stampeders? Everyone has been saying they are the model that all teams should aspire to, I thought....
    Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    You could say that about Calgary too; if they lose BLM, do you see the same kind of backlash hitting the Stampeders? Everyone has been saying they are the model that all teams should aspire to, I thought....
    Difference is, Bo has publicly said that if he is coming back to the CFL, it'll be as a Stampeder. Of course that could change once FA opens, but its at least something to hang a hat on.

vCash

The thing about Harris though is he's gonna want close to the same amount we would have spent on Mike. For me, Reilly is literally the only QB I would want to spend 600k or more on. I would shell it out for him because he's such a special player but barring that, I'd rather go younger/cheaper at QB and spread the savings out across the roster.
    I think we can secure Harris for less than we’re paying mike now..

I also believe harris would excel in the system..

That said I believe we could get franklin if we really wanted to pursue it...

I think jj will be the cheapest option.. but cheap doesn’t mean best

- - - Updated - - -

Well said

vCash
    Blog Entries

Was that ever documented anywhere? Was he actually fined? Because if that was the case then I'd agree with you that would be disturbing. All the other moves he has made so far I don't really have a problem with. What was his worst trade O'Dell? It wasn't that bad. Also he hasn't brought in any cheap impressive import talent that are highly outplaying their contract like a Ladler or a Zylstra but I'm willing to give him this year to improve in that area. All the moves he made in regards to the coaching/scouting staffs were related to the SMS at least according to him and I have no reason not to believe him. Now should of the team handled it better in terms of the manner that they let go of their longtime head of Canadian Scouting go? Probably but I don't see that as a hanging offense. You seem to point out a lot of deep character flaws based on things that are going on behind the scenes which I am not privy to. In many ways you make him sound almost as slimy and dishonorable a person as Eric Tillman was when he was here but I'm just not seeing that from the outside looking in.
    Last edited by adb; 02-11-2019 at 04:01 PM.
    ôRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    Was that ever documented anywhere? Was he actually fined? Because if that was the case then I'd agree with you that would be disturbing. All the other moves he has made so far I don't really have a problem with. What was his worst trade O'Dell? It wasn't that bad. Also he hasn't brought in any cheap impressive import talent that are highly outplaying their contract like a Ladler or a Zylstra but I'm willing to give him this year to improve in that area. All the moves he made in regards to the coaching/scouting staffs were related to the SMS at least according to him and I have no reason not to believe him. Now should of the team handled it better in terms of the manner that they let go of their longtime head of Canadian Scouting go? Probably but I don't see that as a hanging offense. You seem to point out a lot of deep character flaws based on things that are going on behind the scenes which I am not privy to. In many ways you make him sound almost as slimy and dishonorable a person as Eric Tillman was when he was here but I'm just not seeing that from the outside looking in.
    Nobody is that slimy.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Difference is, Bo has publicly said that if he is coming back to the CFL, it'll be as a Stampeder. Of course that could change once FA opens, but its at least something to hang a hat on.
    Regardless, the comment was that we had not bothered to groom a successor. Neither has Calgary, unless you're a big Arbuckle booster..? I'm not exactly sold on him as the next big thing, myself. The comparison is still exactly the same. If we lose our #1 guy, there's not much in the pipeline.
    Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

I agree, too bad we didn't have crystal ball last year. Could have locked up Franklin and traded Reilly for a kings ransom. Hindsight's always 20/20.
    Or at least what we have in O'Brien/ Kline. I've been pumping up Maas a lot lately but we have not seen the backup QB in awhile. Now that it seems like the starter is gone, this doesn't help us much.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

vCash

Regardless, the comment was that we had not bothered to groom a successor. Neither has Calgary, unless you're a big Arbuckle booster..? I'm not exactly sold on him as the next big thing, myself. The comparison is still exactly the same. If we lose our #1 guy, there's not much in the pipeline.
    Why is everyone ragging on Arbuckle? I don't now why, but for some reason that seams a bit unfair to me.

vCash

I think it's unrealistic, looking at the past 20 years of the CFL, that a team has to plan for losing a marquee free agent QB to free agency. While it looks like it could very well happen, how many examples are there out there of that happening in the past few decades? Once in a blue moon a marquee starter gets traded, sometimes they test the NFL, more often, they get injured... but the latter two require more of an interim stop-gap approach, rather than a long-term changing of the guard. I cannot recall the last time that a guy believed to be one of the top two players in the league changed teams in free agency. While you always get nervous when your starters' contracts are up, when you have as big, or bigger of a budget than any other team (cap structure and willingness to pay), you just don't expect to lose out.

In today's CFL, most teams plan on a 2-3 year time frame. The Esks, only a few years ago had Reilly, Nichols and Franklin - and there's no denying that Franklin was a guy that they were hoping/planning to groom. How long is he supposed to stay content as a backup? How long until you identify the next guy worth the investment? They put two years into Zac Kline, in the hopes that he was possibly the next one, but it doesn't seem that will shake out. With a contending team with perceived stability at the starting QB position, I can totally understand the justification in planning for the best case scenario instead of insuring against the worst case.

Every once in awhile the worst case crops up.

I don't understand how some people can be in favour of grooming a young QB and opposed to a 27-year old Jennings as an option, where he's got years of CFL development under his belt and proven physical gifts?

Also, if Franklin's making $350,000 - $400,000, as reported by Dunk, QBs coming up to this free agent period, where there are more buyers than QBs available, should be looking at somewhere between Franklin and Reilly. I could easily see the price for Jennings being in the $400-$450k range, and Harris up around $550k-$600k... and I believe teams will pay it.

I think we can secure Harris for less than we’re paying mike now..

I also believe harris would excel in the system..

That said I believe we could get franklin if we really wanted to pursue it...

I think jj will be the cheapest option.. but cheap doesn’t mean best
    I'm sure Harris would be fine in our system but I think he's already at or very near his ceiling and I think Jennings' ceiling may be higher, Franklins too, James would be my first choice actually but I'm not sure how realistic that is.

vCash

I'm sure Harris would be fine in our system but I think he's already at or very near his ceiling and I think Jennings' ceiling may be higher, Franklins too, James would be my first choice actually but I'm not sure how realistic that is.
    Jennings is a better athlete for sure, franklin I’m still a big fan off

I’d say there is less question marks surrounding harris and the pedigree... I can’t remeber numbers but he’s trending upwards.. sure he threw for 5k last year and maybe 4K the year before..

Get him in this system and I think we’re an instant contender..

Obv it’s all about pref .. I’m not against any of em.. tbh! Lol

Jennings is a better athlete for sure, franklin I’m still a big fan off

I’d say there is less question marks surrounding harris and the pedigree... I can’t remeber numbers but he’s trending upwards.. sure he threw for 5k last year and maybe 4K the year before..

Get him in this system and I think we’re an instant contender..

Obv it’s all about pref .. I’m not against any of em.. tbh! Lol
    Yeah, and I'm not either really, there's just something about Harris' game that I've never been a huge fan of. There's no question he's probably the safest option though.

But hey, until there's an official announcement, there's still a small shred of Reilly hope for us to cling to lol.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Would you trade newly signed Canadian Reciever T.Smith to Argos for Franklin?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by dealerd View Post
    Would you trade newly signed Canadian Reciever T.Smith to Argos for Franklin?
    The Argos wouldn't.

Seriously, a guy that is potentially being counted on as the starting QB, and you're talking about trading a Canadian receiver that hasn't played a down of CFL ball after bouncing around NFL practice rosters for 4 years???

Why would the Argos possibly deplete their QB depth by trading Franklin unless they have a big FA QB signing made?

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Or at least what we have in O'Brien/ Kline. I've been pumping up Maas a lot lately but we have not seen the backup QB in awhile. Now that it seems like the starter is gone, this doesn't help us much.
    Didn't Kline retire?
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OK14 View Post
    Didn't Kline retire?
    Yup.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

According to Rishaug it’s going to be $700k x 4. BS offered the same.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Prez View Post
    According to Rishaug it’s going to be $700k x 4. BS offered the same.
    3DownNation reporting the same.

vCash

The problem that was not addressed properly by the gm was when Franklin was a free agent,Mike had 1 year left on his . Needed 1 or the other signed long term at that point. Now we have nothing,A good GM would not let himself be put in that situation.If Mike would not sign long term at that point then you sign Franklin 1 year backup salary then stater salary for whatever length,Mike wants to stay then you trade Franklin.Mike wants to go then you have Franklin ready. And you slap Maas in the side of the head and you say your playing the back up some.

vCash

Who are you talking about as JM’s replacement?

vCash

Grooming the next QB is easier said than done. I used to complain about that in BC on Damon Allen's final 3 or 4 years. Fact was though the guy was always healthy and the Lions were always fighting tooth and nail for a playoff spot, not unlike the Esks last year. More often than not even if a team is fairly safe in a playoff position they are still battling to host a game or earn a bye until the final week or two. If the starter is always healthy then the only time a backup can get development reps is in garbage time if the team is either on the good end or bad end of a blowout. Of course as we all know in the CFL a 21 point lead isn't really safe until it gets down to 5 minutes or less to go.