Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 559

Thread: If Reilly Leaves....

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Campbell River BC
    Posts
    7,280
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    430

    Re: If Reilly Leaves....

    Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    It’s pro football mate.. they can make the throws... and it also comes down to the teaching!

    Of all the guys currently sitting on cfl rosters not starting or not guaranteed
    I think pipkin, jj, franklin, Davis have skillsets I like..

    If I’m stealing anyone else’s starter it would have to be harris..
    Fair enough, I'll trust your opinion as I've never ran an offence. Thanks for the info
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Vancouver Island
    Posts
    4,379
    vCash
    4100
    Rep Power
    290

    Re: If Reilly Leaves....

    Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    Well in football, you can't win without a QB. That just isn't in the CFL, that's every league. The Esks currently have the best QB in the league and Sunderland surrounded him with a crap team. The only reason they won 9 games is because Reilly is that good. Reilly needs a new contract and I get that no CBA plays a hand in that. BUT, they Esks have NOTHING., absolutely nothing behind him. Sunderland went and traded away Franklin last offseason for basically nothing. The main piece back was Woods who spent the whole year on the practice roster. He wasn't even good enough to back up. Now Franklin isn't a finished product but he did spent several years as the back up, did start some games and won some. He's got good tools. So IF Reilly happens to leave, then you at least have something to work with. They dumped him.
    Trade away the 11th overall pick, and a team is recklessly mortgaging the future. Trade for a guy that was the 11th overall pick the prior year (or was it 10th?) and you're trading for basically nothing. Picking O-linemen in the draft is a 50/50 proposition at best it seems, regardless of the round. as Looner pointed out though... we didn't dump him - we traded him to a team, out of the division, not long before he was going to hit free agency. He wasn't re-signing in Edmonton, and it had nothing to do with who the GM or coach was or lacking love for the community - it was 100% about advancing his career, earning a contract that would pay him as a starter if he earned that opportunity and fulfilling the football side of his dreams... playing regularly.

    Reilly would be the first to tell you that he wasn't good enough at times, and that it was a playoff team if he played to his capabilities. That's not just blowing sunshine... that's what he does because he's accountable to himself and to his teammates, and he knows that there were games there for the winning if he'd been up to his normal level. Anyone that knows Mike is not going to deny this. This was likely an 11-7 team that ended up 9-9... Reilly stole them some, and in some others, he didn't play well enough to offset some other deficiencies we had (receivers drops, missed tackles, lack of Def and ST scoring, etc).

    Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    So then what do the Esks do? Do they go get someone else to groom? Hell no, they sign 39 yr old Glenn to back up. So they literally have NOTHING to work with. So how exactly does that instill ANY confidence in me as a fan? To make matters worse, the organization is in shambles right now. So when the CBA happens, what positives do the Esks have to sell Reilly? He's going to get paid no matter where he goes. So if I am Reilly and I see a joke of a Pres still in charge who doesn't take winning seriously. The same GM who didn't surround him with enough talent when you hosted the Cup is in place. Now the organization has dumped both your Canadian scout plus your main talent scout. So what exactly makes a guy like Reilly think the Esks are on the right track to WIN?

    So complain about me all you want but it's a real possibility that Kevin Glenn will be the starter next season. He didn't play much so he will be healthy and he would know the offense. It would be a disaster if that happened but right now, if they lose Reilly, who's out there.
    We signed Glenn BECAUSE we were hosting the cup, and they wanted to resource Reilly with the best support he could get from a backup while playing every snap. While the results didn't work, their rationale for caring more about the impact their backup had on the starter was proven out when Reilly went wire to wire without missing time. They were playing for that season and not prioritizing looking beyond that... in part because they couldn't. They weren't going to retain Franklin, and they weren't going to have the next guy ready to go in a year (with no reps) in case Reilly leaves.

    Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    For the record I detest Kevin Glenn.... but after losing franklin we litterally had 2 choices go get a vet because we’re making a run ( we know how that turned out ) or we risk turning the reins over to Kline in home grey cup year???

    If heaven forbid we lost mike Kevin Glenn had more than enough experience to get us through an extended time frame... can u imagine the outrage from the fan base if we had no plan of action when we’re trying to host the cup at home??

    Franklin wanted to go and start.. I understand this.. he was never gonna get the chance with Reilly and maas loyalty to a starter
    Obv Ray was prob gonna get injured or at worst retire after 18 so he prob felt he was more likely gonna get the chance..
    He got his chance and whilst some think he’s not that guy.. illl take him back tomorrow and wouldn’t even sweat if we lost reilly... I like franklin that much as a Qb.. ( needs the system and the personnel )

    There is no way Glenn returns to Edmonton in 2019 .. makes no sense for us at all right?? As much as we all want reilly back I’m not fretting about qb at all... the system works .. regardless of who’s in... we will be alright..

    Roll on Feb let’s get the cba in place and sign some players
    I'm not so sure on Glenn. I think it likely totally depends on what Reilly does. If he re-signs for 3 years, it may be attractive to continue to have a veteran backup supporting him in the film room, being an extra set up eyes on the sidelines... essentially another coach, but one that can walk among the players. If Reilly leaves, wouldn't that skillset be just as valuable behind a guy like Jennings? People wouldn't necessarily know it from the outside, but Jennings and Lulay were quite tight and really had each other's back over the past few seasons.

    I agree that we don't go into the season with Glenn as the starter, but to my thinking, either we're signing the next one as a guy already in the development process (Jennings, Collaros, etc) or trading for that (Franklin, Streveler, Pipkin, etc), or we've got our QB back under contract and looking to maximize the next few years' window rather than going all-aboard the development train.

    The bottom line is that only one team is going to sign Reilly... and missing out on that could put the Stamps (assuming Bo goes south), Lions, Riders and Esks all in the same boat... scrambling for their 2nd and 3rd choices. We're no worse off than any of them... and if anything, have the advantage of being able to exclusively talk to Reilly between now and mid-Feb. Yes, it will hurt if we miss on Reilly, but we likely move to the backup plan of Jennings. If BC misses on Reilly, what do they do? If BC gets Reilly and Edm gets Jennings, what do the Riders do? None of these teams have tried hard to develop a QB of the future/present last year... and their cupboards are just as bare as ours potentially might be.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    10,715
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    93

    Re: If Reilly Leaves....

    Well I guess we will see what happens then when in just over a month (assuming the CBA is done) Reilly is up on a stage, wearing a Lions jersey Hervey on one side, his buddy Lulay on the other, big smile on his face. Then he gets asked why he signed with the Lions and Reilly goes on to say that at his age, money wasn't everything, he wants to win. So when he looked at the organizations, he wanted to go to an organization who from top to bottom had winning as their #1 goal and given his experience with Hervey, he knows that Hervey wants to win at all cost and will do whatever it takes to do it.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Vancouver Island
    Posts
    4,379
    vCash
    4100
    Rep Power
    290

    Re: If Reilly Leaves....

    Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    Well I guess we will see what happens then when in just over a month (assuming the CBA is done) Reilly is up on a stage, wearing a Lions jersey Hervey on one side, his buddy Lulay on the other, big smile on his face. Then he gets asked why he signed with the Lions and Reilly goes on to say that at his age, money wasn't everything, he wants to win. So when he looked at the organizations, he wanted to go to an organization who from top to bottom had winning as their #1 goal and given his experience with Hervey, he knows that Hervey wants to win at all cost and will do whatever it takes to do it.
    I have a soft spot for the Lions. I like Rick and Ed being in place there, and I grew to really respect Buono over time. I don't find them a hard team to cheer for when they aren't playing the Esks, and my wife is a life-long Lions fan. If Reilly ends up there, I don't believe it's driven mostly by winning.

    Ed is ultra-competitive for sure. And you can bet that Jason Maas and Brock Sunderland are too. I believe that Ed is one of the most talented younger GMs in the league, but he still has the same salary cap as everyone else does, and he has a lot less organizational perks to offer free-agents (facilities, fan-base leading to promotional opportunities, cost of living, etc).

    He will be facing a season with a brand new coaching staff with the exception of two holdovers - Jarious Jackson and Markus Howell. That likely means a great big revamp of schemes, terminology, and trying to re-write the playbook for a new QB regardless of who it is. How long does it typically take for a good, cerebral, veteran QB to be comfortable with a new offence and largely new personnel around him? Half a season? A full season? A second training camp?

    Ed and the coaches will have some interesting decisions with the roster, including some popular but expensive veteran players... a tough spot when you're trying to build and still win now... and potentially something similar to the Esks of the 2005 era, where you have to decide whether to turn a page after the Buono era and get younger and cheaper all at once. Elimimian is under contract and coming off an injury-plagued year (wrist), while Willis and Lemon tie up some significant cap as veterans. Lokombo and Awe are likely due decent hikes if they come back, and Otha Foster is likely drawing a decent veteran cheque. In the secondary, TJ Lee is going to be costly to re-sign, and Orange is another veteran salary. I believe that Peters and Rose are both up for new deals as well and I would think that DyShawn Davis gets some free agency interest if they aren't clearing room for him for a more substantial playing role (and salary). Davon Coleman and Claudell Louis at DT are two of the guys that are pretty locked in values on defence. If Long comes back, he's likely paid as the top kicker in the game, and if not, they're likely looking at two roster spots to do the job.

    On offence, if you're bringing Lulay back - as is your scenario you play out, that's at a healthy veteran contract, not just an incentive-laden one. I think Travis would be key for the transition, with or without Reilly. You've got Figueroa and Olafioye as one of the highest paid pair of Tackles in the league, and decisions to make on veteran free-agent RBs like Sutton, Johnson and Rainey. Arceneaulx, Burnham, Posey and Collins are all free agents, and the first three are likely to demand tier 1/tier 2 receiver money. Currently, on the roster at import receiver under contract, you have Larry Cobb and Ryan Shakeir (both from PR, and Cobb had a stint in Edm last year), as well as Travion Tucker. I'm not saying that they can't sign guys like Burnham, Posey, or even D-Walk or B-Mitch, but it's all going to take cash and cap room.

    For all the grief given about the talent surrounding Reilly on the Esks last year, do you think that the Lions roster was that much better? Enough better than it can survive around $300k in salary dumped to move from Jennings to Reilly alone, not to mention having to find room for raises and filling holes with free agent talent. There's the old Hugh Campbell axiom that for every starter you change out from year to year, it's good for one more loss in the next season. There would have to be a lot of restructuring to afford Reilly, and while it would obviously be worth it, it is very possible, if not even likely, that there would be some early struggles while they get up to speed, build continuity and try to get by with cheaper options at a bunch of positions.

    -----------

    In Edmonton, Reilly would face the return of largely the same offensive scheme (something he's praised a lot previously), with presumably enhanced support from a dedicated play-caller that he has worked with over the past two years. If he returns, he does so to a cap situation where it is already basically built around his salary, and while there would have to be some adjustments (either losing free agents or paying raises... particularly to guys like Bryant Mitchell coming off something closer to a league minimum contract, I don't see a lot of Esks players coming off breakout seasons where they weren't already getting paid (Ceresna would've been one, and Behar likely would need a bump to return as well as Boateng and Duke Williams if they came back).

    The Esks have no more under contract than the Lions do when it comes to receivers... though they do have Gable under contract as well as Shaq Cooper and Jordan Robinson. Like with BC, they would likely be able to sign a good receiving corps if Reilly returns... and could foreseeably have one with a fair bit of continuity from last year if that's what Reilly wants.

    Still waiting on the other shoe to drop on the DC, but I expect that most are optimistic about improvements on ST with Coach Gass in the fold, and it seems like most felt (at least at times) that anything was better than Bene. Outside of Grymes and Boateng, most of our key pieces on that side of the ball are under contract.

    -----------

    It may well be that Mike ultimately buys into Ed's philosophy more. I know for a fact that they are close. I also know that Ed can't talk to Mike right now, while Brock is in regular contact.

    If he makes his decision based on the football ops side of things, would you not think that it would normally see a priority put on the coaching staff - the guys that he works with day-in-and-day-out. What odds would you lay that he has a stronger connection with/deeper buy-in with Claybrooks and Jackson compared to Maas and Maksymic?

    If he ends up in BC, I think it's much less about winning now, and either prioritizing family or buying into a 2-3 year plan that he sees falling well within his window of time. From what I know of Mike, I see him as a guy that doesn't want to win one more Grey Cup, but more so, a guy that wants to win 3 more Grey Cups... and probably wants to feel like he was there to build it rather than parachuting in, with all else being equal.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    15,935
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    148

    Re: If Reilly Leaves....

    Great ****ing post gwn ^

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Campbell River BC
    Posts
    7,280
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    430

    Re: If Reilly Leaves....

    Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Great ****ing post gwn ^
    x2 outstanding as usual GWN
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    4
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: If Reilly Leaves....

    Excellent post, great to read something on this board that isn't full blown "the sky is falling"

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    774
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    62

    Re: If Reilly Leaves....

    Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    Well I guess we will see what happens then when in just over a month (assuming the CBA is done) Reilly is up on a stage, wearing a Lions jersey Hervey on one side, his buddy Lulay on the other, big smile on his face.
    You're absolutely whistling in a hurricane if you think the CBA will be done before May never mind by the time Free Agency hits. Too many big issues to be fought over and they haven't even opened negotiations.
    Last edited by Hammer24; 01-03-2019 at 06:19 PM.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    774
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    62

    Re: If Reilly Leaves....

    Lol GWN. You better have a soft spot for the Lions or you'll be sleeping on the couch.

    I think if it were to get down to EE vs BC for Reilly what would be more important to him than money would be the vision Sunderland and Maas offer and how they plan on achieving it versus the one Hervey and Claybrooks present and their plan to execute it.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Vancouver Island
    Posts
    4,379
    vCash
    4100
    Rep Power
    290

    Re: If Reilly Leaves....

    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    Lol GWN. You better have a soft spot for the Lions or you'll be sleeping on the couch.

    I think if it were to get down to EE vs BC for Reilly what would be more important to him than money would be the vision Sunderland and Maas offer and how they plan on achieving it versus the one Hervey and Claybrooks present and their plan to execute it.
    I've managed to hide it well when it hasn't always been the case. I find lines like, "Wow, he's the second coming of John Henry White!" or "That Jamie Taras is sure one chiseled dude!" tend to disguise true feelings at times.

    Agreed that it is both the vision and the execution.

    Believe that the nod to execution is influenced by continuity, and that is where the Esks should have the edge... same offensive coaching staff, same offensive scheme, same terminology, etc. That continuity only truly pays dividends if Reilly is back... but Edmonton is the only place he can find that.

    If he signs elsewhere, it will be either a) other factors outweigh it, or b) that the trust in the vision is enough to overcome the lack of continuity.

    I believe the coaching staff announcements today, help the case to retain him. He's got a strong relationship with Maksymic, who's been his QB coach and knows the offence well, the addition of Tucker and Gass to the locker room will sit well with him, and there is credibility in bringing in a guy like Lolley, who will have the respect of the room and the veterans.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Campbell River BC
    Posts
    7,280
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    430

    Re: If Reilly Leaves....

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    I've managed to hide it well when it hasn't always been the case. I find lines like, "Wow, he's the second coming of John Henry White!" or "That Jamie Taras is sure one chiseled dude!" tend to disguise true feelings at times.

    Agreed that it is both the vision and the execution.

    Believe that the nod to execution is influenced by continuity, and that is where the Esks should have the edge... same offensive coaching staff, same offensive scheme, same terminology, etc. That continuity only truly pays dividends if Reilly is back... but Edmonton is the only place he can find that.

    If he signs elsewhere, it will be either a) other factors outweigh it, or b) that the trust in the vision is enough to overcome the lack of continuity.

    I believe the coaching staff announcements today, help the case to retain him. He's got a strong relationship with Maksymic, who's been his QB coach and knows the offence well, the addition of Tucker and Gass to the locker room will sit well with him, and there is credibility in bringing in a guy like Lolley, who will have the respect of the room and the veterans.
    Whoever signs Reilly (I'm still thinking its going to be us) will likely make him the highest paid player in the league and will be facing roster challenges because of the percentage of cap spent on him.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    10,715
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    93

    Re: If Reilly Leaves....

    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    You're absolutely whistling in a hurricane if you think the CBA will be done before May never mind by the time Free Agency hits. Too many big issues to be fought over and they haven't even opened negotiations.
    I disagree completely. The CFL is not like the NHL or any other sports league. They can not afford to miss time. The franchises are not strong enough to withstand any kind of delay. I don't see how this doesn't get done.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    5,782
    vCash
    2112
    Rep Power
    81

    Re: If Reilly Leaves....

    Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    I disagree completely. The CFL is not like the NHL or any other sports league. They can not afford to miss time. The franchises are not strong enough to withstand any kind of delay. I don't see how this doesn't get done.
    Except now the players have more of leg to stand on with the AAF and their salaries.

    I'm not as optimistic as you are but you are correct. The CFL can't afford a lockout.

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    11,869
    vCash
    4050
    Rep Power
    728

    Re: If Reilly Leaves....

    Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Whoever signs Reilly (I'm still thinking its going to be us) will likely make him the highest paid player in the league and will be facing roster challenges because of the percentage of cap spent on him.
    True, but that has always been the case with Reilly. We've had to let some good players move on in order to have the best QB in the league these past few seasons. And that is fine. I think you need an elite QB to win it all and you need to pay them accordingly. It's managing the SMS with the rest of your roster that really separates a good GM from a bad GM. Trading a Ricky Ray in the prime of his career because he's "too expensive" tells me all I need to know about a GM's actual skills. If our offer is lower than the Lions, we've made a mistake.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    496
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    34

    Re: If Reilly Leaves....

    League will purposely wait as long as possible to open negotiations as a tactic. Remember that the vast majority of the players in the league (and therefore the voting power), make league minimum. So league will wait for those guys to get desperate for a paycheck, and drive fear that those paychecks may not arrive on time..... and then, at this point, the league will present their offer.
    Is it game day yet?????

  16. #76
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    10,715
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    93

    Re: If Reilly Leaves....

    Quote Originally Posted by Jtuck09 View Post
    Except now the players have more of leg to stand on with the AAF and their salaries.

    I'm not as optimistic as you are but you are correct. The CFL can't afford a lockout.
    Well I look at what the minimum salary is at $54,000 before tax. That's not a hell of a lot to beat the hell out of your body for 6 months then spend the other 6 months healing and training.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

  17. #77
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    5,782
    vCash
    2112
    Rep Power
    81

    Re: If Reilly Leaves....

    Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    Well I look at what the minimum salary is at $54,000 before tax. That's not a hell of a lot to beat the hell out of your body for 6 months then spend the other 6 months healing and training.
    10 games and that same amount of money in the AAF ($54,000) goes a longer way then 18 games of beating your body up.

    It'll be a very contentious negotiation, I just have that feeling. Money and benefits will be a big discussion.

  18. #78
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    15,935
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    148

    Re: If Reilly Leaves....

    Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Whoever signs Reilly (I'm still thinking its going to be us) will likely make him the highest paid player in the league and will be facing roster challenges because of the percentage of cap spent on him.
    Thing is a positive for us as gwn mentioned... were already balancing the books to fit mikes salary.. he’s prob already the highest paid Qb if not top 2, so if we have to scrape another 100k from somewhere else.. where as prob 6 of the other 9 teams prob would completely have to change their roster to accommodate Reilly at 650 +

  19. #79
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Campbell River BC
    Posts
    7,280
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    430

    Re: If Reilly Leaves....

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    True, but that has always been the case with Reilly. We've had to let some good players move on in order to have the best QB in the league these past few seasons. And that is fine. I think you need an elite QB to win it all and you need to pay them accordingly. It's managing the SMS with the rest of your roster that really separates a good GM from a bad GM. Trading a Ricky Ray in the prime of his career because he's "too expensive" tells me all I need to know about a GM's actual skills. If our offer is lower than the Lions, we've made a mistake.
    Absolutely true, If you are skimping out on a guy who has his hands on the ball for 50% of the game, you are saving dollars in the wrong area. My point was that having mike is going to leave us with holes in our lineup that some will point out as a deficiency of our GM, when in theory we should have less money to spend on the rest of our lineup than most teams.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

  20. #80
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    15,935
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    148

    Re: If Reilly Leaves....

    Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Absolutely true, If you are skimping out on a guy who has his hands on the ball for 50% of the game, you are saving dollars in the wrong area. My point was that having mike is going to leave us with holes in our lineup that some will point out as a deficiency of our GM, when in theory we should have less money to spend on the rest of our lineup than most teams.
    Spot on!

    U just can’t pay everyone.. no one can have their cake and eat it.. not even the riders and their 3 rosters

  21. #81
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,272
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    401

    Re: If Reilly Leaves....

    Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Spot on!

    U just can’t pay everyone.. no one can have their cake and eat it.. not even the riders and their 3 rosters
    Wow, Riders down to only three rosters !!!!

  22. #82
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Campbell River BC
    Posts
    7,280
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    430

    Re: If Reilly Leaves....

    Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    Wow, Riders down to only three rosters !!!!
    times are tough
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

  23. #83
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    774
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    62

    Re: If Reilly Leaves....

    Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    I disagree completely. The CFL is not like the NHL or any other sports league. They can not afford to miss time. The franchises are not strong enough to withstand any kind of delay. I don't see how this doesn't get done.
    I didn't say it wouldn't get done. I said it wouldn't get done before May meaning literally the eve of training camp or possibly not until after training camps begin. If you disagree with that then you must have the view that this time around it will be a cakewalk of a negotiation compared to the last 2 CBAs. Recent history backs me up on my assessment.

    In 2014 they didn't lose time as the two sides agreed to continue negotiating going into training camp. They didn't come to a tentative agreement until June 7th roughly a week AFTER training camps opened and 2 days before the first exhibition game was to be played. It wasn't ratified by the players until June 13th.

    The previous CBA in 2010 had the 2 sides tentatively agreeing to terms in May 26th less than 2 weeks before camps opened. It wasn't actually ratified by the players until 2 days before the regular season kicked off. As late as April 26 the CFLPA had sent letters out to its membership advising that a lockout by the CFL remained a very real possibility.

  24. #84
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Vancouver Island
    Posts
    4,379
    vCash
    4100
    Rep Power
    290

    Re: If Reilly Leaves....

    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    I didn't say it wouldn't get done. I said it wouldn't get done before May meaning literally the eve of training camp or possibly not until after training camps begin. If you disagree with that then you must have the view that this time around it will be a cakewalk of a negotiation compared to the last 2 CBAs. Recent history backs me up on my assessment.

    In 2014 they didn't lose time as the two sides agreed to continue negotiating going into training camp. They didn't come to a tentative agreement until June 7th roughly a week AFTER training camps opened and 2 days before the first exhibition game was to be played. It wasn't ratified by the players until June 13th.

    The previous CBA in 2010 had the 2 sides tentatively agreeing to terms in May 26th less than 2 weeks before camps opened. It wasn't actually ratified by the players until 2 days before the regular season kicked off. As late as April 26 the CFLPA had sent letters out to its membership advising that a lockout by the CFL remained a very real possibility.
    I agree that it is highly unlikely to be done by February free agency... virtually impossible given the hurdles they face.

    I do think that this time is different than previous in a few ways, with the stakes higher than ever for both sides. I'm not going to say that I expect it to be done prior to May, but there is a world of reason as to why it needs to be done by then.

    1) CFLPA is more organized and professional than it has ever been. They have different skill sets involved in their leadership - this isn't the typical Ed Molstad and a couple of football players days.

    2) Previously, it's been much more about money/salary, and rosters/ratio - elements that can typically be resolved with compromise and meeting in the middle. This time, it's going to be about, as JTuck alluded to, benefits and health coverage for injured players. That can make a lot of sense when looking at a situation like Hefney, where you're talking about a shoulder/nerve damage from a hit, but can open a whole lot of liability and expense with the aspects of concussions. This is going to be a big mountain to climb.

    3) The number of free agents out there... partly due to the CBA, but also due to the move to shorter contracts and the lack of signing bonuses that the league mandated... is going to put more pressure on the league than ever before. If a player like Reilly holds firm that he's not signing before a new CBA is in place, and numerous others maintain solidarity with that (they share common agent) then there will be some teams that are going to be highly challenged to sell season tickets as a result. Instability, lack of a face of the franchise, etc, could have the member clubs putting more pressure on the league to settle than normal. No one wants, or can afford, a lockout/strike, but I would suggest that now, more than previous, the CFL cannot afford a drawn out negotiation that comes down to the deadline. Just imagine the day before training camp and even 25% of higher-profile free agents remaining unsigned. It would take a lot of solidarity to get there, but given the competitive threats the CFL faces, there is massive incentive to get this done earlier.

    I remain amazed that negotiations didn't start, in earnest, right after the Grey Cup. If this issue is unresolved by mid-April, as would normally be the case, and the free agent solidarity holds up, I think the league will be feeling a tremendous amount of heat.

  25. #85
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Spruce Grove
    Posts
    7,119
    vCash
    6300
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    112

    Re: If Reilly Leaves....

    If it goes on too long you can bet that TSN will get involved as well. When the dolla dolla billz threaten to stop raining down you can be rest assured that the League and CFLPA will get their poop in a group real quick.
    And there was much rejoicing... yaayyy....

  26. #86
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Edmonton Area
    Posts
    44,479
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    149

    Re: If Reilly Leaves....

    yay more pull for TSN..

  27. #87
    Diesel's Avatar
    Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

    Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    You tell me?
    Posts
    38,234
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    191

    Re: If Reilly Leaves....

    The CFLPA's achillies heel has always been that its been largely run and represented by NI players causing a bit of a disconnect between them and their import brethren
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

  28. #88
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    10,715
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    93

    Re: If Reilly Leaves....

    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    The CFLPA's achillies heel has always been that its been largely run and represented by NI players causing a bit of a disconnect between them and their import brethren
    I have always said while I like the Canadian player part of the CFL, I think the Canadian player aspect of the CFL is too much. There just isn't enough supply of Canadian talent vs the demand. A team is only as good as their worst Canadian and the success of a team can literally come down to if they lose a key Canadian to any sort of injury because most teams can't replace them because there isn't enough depth league wide. So the few good Canadians get paid way too much and as Diesel pointed out, the minority has the power over the majority.
    Last edited by Sectionq; 01-07-2019 at 03:37 PM.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

  29. #89
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Campbell River BC
    Posts
    7,280
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    430

    Re: If Reilly Leaves....

    Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    I have always said while I like the Canadian player part of the CFL, I think the Canadian player aspect of the CFL is too much. There just isn't enough supply of Canadian talent vs the demand. A team is only as good as their worst Canadian and the success of a team can literally come down to if they lose a key Canadian to any sort of injury because most teams can't replace them because there isn't enough depth league wide. So the few good Canadians get paid way too much and as Diesel pointed out, the minority has the power of the majority.
    I agree and with another team coming into the league, I really think they need to look at this number.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

  30. #90
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    City Of Champions: Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    2,614
    vCash
    2000
    Rep Power
    23

    Re: If Reilly Leaves....

    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Very good point about this team not even trying to develop a young QB. Glenn and Danny O'Brien? Really? Glenn I can see as a saftey blanket but Obrien was not good and is not young
    I was going to chime in and say I like the tools Zach Kline brings to the table, but I no longer see him on the Eskimo website! Did I miss something?? Was he released...??

    To me it was never about what I accomplished on the football field, it was about the way I played the game.
    -Jerry Rice

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •