Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: If Reilly Leaves....

vCash

Re: If Reilly Leaves....

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post

Looks like we may have the answer.
    One thing I had kicked around in my mind a few weeks was wondering with all these pending FA QBs if a team felt they stood little chance for re-signing their guy would they trade negotiating rights for their pending FA QB in exchange for the negotiating rights of the other team's pending FA QB? That of course would be assuming they saw that other guy as somebody they would legitimately be interested in. In other words if Sunderland did give Reilly permission to talk to BC or BC permission to talk to Reilly would they only agree to do so if BC granted permission for him to talk to Jennings? I realize there is little to no comparison between the two but if Edmonton felt they will be losing Reilly would it not make sense to try getting a leg up on the rest of the market by getting to talk to and sign a potential replacement before they become an FA?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    One thing I had kicked around in my mind a few weeks was wondering with all these pending FA QBs if a team felt they stood little chance for re-signing their guy would they trade negotiating rights for their pending FA QB in exchange for the negotiating rights of the other team's pending FA QB? That of course would be assuming they saw that other guy as somebody they would legitimately be interested in. In other words if Sunderland did give Reilly permission to talk to BC or BC permission to talk to Reilly would they only agree to do so if BC granted permission for him to talk to Jennings? I realize there is little to no comparison between the two but if Edmonton felt they will be losing Reilly would it not make sense to try getting a leg up on the rest of the market by getting to talk to and sign a potential replacement before they become an FA?
    I have a feeling something like this did in fact go down and that we just don't know the full story.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    My hunch is that it would be more of a case of hoping to get clarity where Mike stands with the biggest competing bidder. If we're going to lose him after Feb 12, may as well know what we're up against to have a chance to match/beat the offer and retain him prior to FA, or to know our fate is cast and be prepared to move on come Feb 12.

If there is a trade, I believe it would be a draft pick coming to Edmonton to allow BC to get the deal done prior to other teams coming in and bidding it up further (if possible).

Given that Brock has a relationship with Trevor Harris from Ottawa days, if Reilly is moving on and Harris is getting to free agency, I'm not sure that the Esks would be targeting Jennings prior to exploring that one completely.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    My hunch is that it would be more of a case of hoping to get clarity where Mike stands with the biggest competing bidder. If we're going to lose him after Feb 12, may as well know what we're up against to have a chance to match/beat the offer and retain him prior to FA, or to know our fate is cast and be prepared to move on come Feb 12.

If there is a trade, I believe it would be a draft pick coming to Edmonton to allow BC to get the deal done prior to other teams coming in and bidding it up further (if possible).

Given that Brock has a relationship with Trevor Harris from Ottawa days, if Reilly is moving on and Harris is getting to free agency, I'm not sure that the Esks would be targeting Jennings prior to exploring that one completely.
    Harris would be a QUALITY get if we have get anyone .. Harris would be just about perfect

vCash

Yeah, Harris with Maas as a coach would be a soft landing for sure. But it's Reilly I want.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Harris would be a QUALITY get if we have get anyone .. Harris would be just about perfect
    You watched the GC, right?
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

I was just using Jennings as an example. In theory the same sort of scenario could play out between other teams or other QBs. Somebody in Lionbackers was kicking around the trade idea of BC acquiring Reilly's rights. My speculation on that is that if Sunderland was kicking around moving the rights pre-FA that it would be in his best interests to shop him around to other teams who would be equally interested. Would he go elsewhere like Saskatchewan or Toronto? I don't know but it seems like when a team acquires a players rights in that situation 9 times out of 10 the player signs there and those teams might be able to offer more. Realistically if a team goes out to get a player's rights in that scenario they already have a good idea what they need to offer to get a contract signed. The one flaw I see on BC giving something up is they don't have much to offer right now what with 3/4 of their starters from last year sitting as pending FAs and Hervey having no 2019 draft picks until half way through the 3rd round. EE would have to wait for a 2020 draft pick for anything decent or perhaps considered something like Elimimian and a 3rd. I have a feeling SolE would be a cap casualty if BC gets Reilly and the Esks seem to have a rather large hole at MLB with Sherritt's retirement.

vCash

vCash

Harris is too inconsistent for my liking. If Mike leaves I'd rather go hard after Bo because he's been just as good as Reilly.

That all being said, I don't think Bo is leaving Calgary, if he chooses to stay in the CFL.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    You watched the Eastern final?

You can't pick and choose games to measure a player's level. If Reilly ends up out of our picture, who do you think would be better (and possible)?
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    You watched the Eastern final?

You can't pick and choose games to measure a player's level. If Reilly ends up out of our picture, who do you think would be better (and possible)?
    He has it.. it goes with his usual BS is garbage/ Hervey is god rhetoric

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    I like harris’ body of work so far in his cfl career.. I believe being in Jason’s system will enhance him as well!

U think there is a better Qb available than harris.... have at it dude..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Yeah, Harris with Maas as a coach would be a soft landing for sure. But it's Reilly I want.

Agreed...

And I still firmly believe mike remains an eskimo

Of course with that 700k tag there is a worry we could be really crippled in other areas as well.. but I want mike to stay!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    I like harris’ body of work so far in his cfl career.. I believe being in Jason’s system will enhance him as well!

U think there is a better Qb available than harris.... have at it dude..

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed...

And I still firmly believe mike remains an eskimo

Of course with that 700k tag there is a worry we could be really crippled in other areas as well.. but I want mike to stay!
    Supposedly Reilly was already making over 500K. My guess is the cap will go up once the CBA is done. So if the cap does go up, what's the difference?
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash
    Blog Entries

They're talking about limiting bonus structure and up front monies with this CBA so that's where a lot of the guys are holding out to see if they're able to get more. Cap will be going up as it does every year but if they're changing how much someone can make with incentives etc. it makes a difference. If it comes down to dolla dolla billz then we better not lose Mike.

- - - Updated - - -

And for the record I'd rather puke coat hangers than have Bobo on my team... Without his o-line and non-holding calls he'd be picking rubber crumb out of his ears the entire off season!
    Just a quick shout out to Mr."Winning isn't everything" for pis*ing away not one but TWO HoF QB's. F*ck you Len and good riddance.

vCash

People give me a hard time in here for apparently being overly negative, apparently not knowing what I am talking about and just going off on a random tangent.

I come in here and actually read multiple people making the justification on why it would be a good idea to bring back a 40 yr old Kevin Glenn. I literally have no words.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post

And for the record I'd rather puke coat hangers than have Bobo on my team... Without his o-line and non-holding calls he'd be picking rubber crumb out of his ears the entire off season!

Sounds like a definitive statement.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    People give me a hard time in here for apparently being overly negative, apparently not knowing what I am talking about and just going off on a random tangent.

I come in here and actually read multiple people making the justification on why it would be a good idea to bring back a 40 yr old Kevin Glenn. I literally have no words.
    You should reread your posts with a note pad and put a tick for every post that is positive and one for everyone that is negative........ pro tip = Leave lots of room in the negative column

Its all good Q, some people are just negative by nature and there is no right or wrong way to live so just keep on the same path.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

Mike's a smart guy. I have a hard time believing this is about money. Mike has to know that the more he wants financially for himself will be less spent around him on other talent on the team.

How much confidence does he have in the direction of this team? That's the biggest question to me. If he does have confidence that he can win and win at a high level with Edmonton, it's worth it to sacrifice time away from his family. He's made this work in Edmonton with his family since 2012. If he thinks it's close, there's no way he sacrifices.

If he does choose BC, I hope he makes the intentions known early and I hope this is what that window is for. If he chooses BC, he needs to make that clear early on. "Mike Reilly intends to sign a free agent deal with the BC Lions once CBA negotiations are complete," should be something released that him and his agent release. That way, he can focus on the details of the contract when the CBA is done and the Eskimos can move on to other business.

Gut feeling is not good on this.

vCash
    Blog Entries

If mike leaves I'm still wanting to explore trade options with Franklin whom I loved in Edmonton or I look at Strevlar in trade with Bombers ,than Harris and than Jennings

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    They're talking about limiting bonus structure and up front monies with this CBA so that's where a lot of the guys are holding out to see if they're able to get more. Cap will be going up as it does every year but if they're changing how much someone can make with incentives etc. it makes a difference. If it comes down to dolla dolla billz then we better not lose Mike.

- - - Updated - - -

WTH man? What's wrong with Bryce Bobo? I mean he just signed with us he hasn't played a down yet and you're already all over him....plus he's a WR not a QB.....eesh

- - - Updated - - -

Senior's discounts....think about it
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by EsksTMac View Post

Gut feeling is not good on this.
    I’ve swung to this side too. For the record I think Franklin > Harris and much cheaper. I’m not sure Bo can survive like Franklin and Reilly behind our OL. Another thing is Franklin will be much cheaper.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    I’ve swung to this side too. For the record I think Franklin > Harris and much cheaper. I’m not sure Bo can survive like Franklin and Reilly behind our OL. Another thing is Franklin will be much cheaper.
    Problem with that theory is it's highly unlikely that Franklin can be had unless the Argos strike it big on one of the top 3 FA QBs. Even if they went 2nd tier with Collaros or Jennings because they think they are upgrades on Franklin it would be wise of them to retain him. QB depth is gold in the CFL.

vCash

Not as a starter, but as a veteran that knows the system and could help whoever else they're bringing in to pick things up. He's respected around the league as a teammate.

Each of the 3 (or 4) QBs on a team play a role, and it's not all the same role generally.

-------

With Harris, he's coming from the Elizondo system, which is a similar style of offense to Maas, and I think that he worked directly with Maas in Toronto, so there is some relationship there too. There is a healthy admiration for Brock there.

vCash

As soon as JC Sherritt retired That confirmed to me Reilly wasn’t coming back.

He was one guy saying Reilly was coming back to play another year with him.
    Placing the Alberta Flag on the Calgary Flames uniform is akin to putting lipstick on a Pig
    Pizmo Loves Nanookster

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Nanookster View Post
    As soon as JC Sherritt retired That confirmed to me Reilly wasn’t coming back.

He was one guy saying Reilly was coming back to play another year with him.
    ya. no.. those aren't related.

vCash

It looks like the Eskimos have asked Dave Campbell to help them prepare the masses for MR’s exit. It certainly seems that way on Twitter.

My perspective:
    The “it’s all about location, we win in all other regards including $$$ offers” narrative really shows an oversimplification of all the factors at play, but most people will take it at face value.

The integrity of the entire EE organization has eroded away. If Mike leaves, maybe that has something to do with it???

If Mike was serious about wanting to test FA, and he should have been given the position he’s in, then it’s to the Esks advantage to essentially let FA start early for him.

vCash

I agree with you on this one Q...

I wouldn't waste the cap space on Glenn

vCash
    Blog Entries

Not as a starter, but as a veteran that knows the system and could help whoever else they're bringing in to pick things up. He's respected around the league as a teammate.

Each of the 3 (or 4) QBs on a team play a role, and it's not all the same role generally.

-------

With Harris, he's coming from the Elizondo system, which is a similar style of offense to Maas, and I think that he worked directly with Maas in Toronto, so there is some relationship there too. There is a healthy admiration for Brock there.
    And if he was needed (due to injury or otherwise) would be able to go in there and give the team a chance to win on a short term basis.
    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    It looks like the Eskimos have asked Dave Campbell to help them prepare the masses for MR’s exit. It certainly seems that way on Twitter.

My perspective:
    The “it’s all about location, we win in all other regards including $$$ offers” narrative really shows an oversimplification of all the factors at play, but most people will take it at face value.

The integrity of the entire EE organization has eroded away. If Mike leaves, maybe that has something to do with it???
    What more can the Eskimos do? Should the fan base turn on Mike Reilly because he decides to move closer to home? Prob not.. Should the fan base turn on the top brass for doing everything they can to keep him here??? Prob not...

It's as though portions of our own fanbase can't wait to gloat if we lose Reilly....... it baffles me...