Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 144

Thread: Esks cut ties with Paul Jones

  1. #1
    Diesel's Avatar
    Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

    Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    You tell me?
    Posts
    38,208
    vCash
    214
    Rep Power
    186

    Hot Esks cut ties with Paul Jones

    Who now signs with the wheaties.

    We are officially a tire fire
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

  2. #2
    Diesel's Avatar
    Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

    Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    You tell me?
    Posts
    38,208
    vCash
    214
    Rep Power
    186

    Re: Esks cut ties with Paul Jones

    Lets look in live at our personnel dept



    - - - Updated - - -

    Just one groped teenaged babysitter from being right back in the sh*thole we started in FFS
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    15,775
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    131

    Re: Esks cut ties with Paul Jones

    I genuinely have no idea what we're doing.

  4. #4
    Diesel's Avatar
    Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

    Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    You tell me?
    Posts
    38,208
    vCash
    214
    Rep Power
    186

    Re: Esks cut ties with Paul Jones

    It would help if our GM had any sort of proper working relationship with our director of PP. SK came calling and he bolted. THAT is a damning indictment of this sh*t show if there ever was one
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,154
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    331

    Re: Esks cut ties with Paul Jones

    So the Riders tie the can to John Murphy because he did not fit , salary wise, into the new Mgt. cap. Yet they can magically bring in a more experienced and likely better replacement and apparently for less money. Going to be interesting how transparent the mgt cap will be.

    We lose Jones, our top USA scout and Ralph, our top Cdn scout . Maybe we scout by Youtube and Street & Smith Football magazine now. Certainly some people are on the way here but we seem to have lost a lot of experience and connections.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Vancouver Island
    Posts
    4,170
    vCash
    27620
    Rep Power
    186

    Re: Esks cut ties with Paul Jones

    This one caught me completely off-guard.

    Hard to understand moving on from one, let alone two, 20-year employees.

    As I've said before, I know that all teams will have to live under the cap (or presume so at least), but it's going to be interesting to see how things play out in terms of how teams structure it.

    With Maas and Sunderland, I have to believe that we're not in the top-half of salary for either the HC or the GM position, and we haven't had an asst-GM on staff or numerous scouts like we have employed in the past.

    Have to think this one, with Paul Jones, is less cap-related and more something else to do with relationships or direction.

    Didn't see it coming at all.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,154
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    331

    Re: Esks cut ties with Paul Jones

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    This one caught me completely off-guard.

    Hard to understand moving on from one, let alone two, 20-year employees.

    As I've said before, I know that all teams will have to live under the cap (or presume so at least), but it's going to be interesting to see how things play out in terms of how teams structure it.

    With Maas and Sunderland, I have to believe that we're not in the top-half of salary for either the HC or the GM position, and we haven't had an asst-GM on staff or numerous scouts like we have employed in the past.

    Have to think this one, with Paul Jones, is less cap-related and more something else to do with relationships or direction.

    Didn't see it coming at all.
    If there is less money for tryout camps then it makes sense to keep someone that has good connections like Jones. With Sunderland supposedly having good NFL contacts maybe we are going to concentrate on cuts from NFL training camps rather than college ball.

    Definitely Sunderland making the team the team his or Rhodes cleaning out the leftovers from past regimes.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB
    Posts
    2,890
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    44

    Re: Esks cut ties with Paul Jones

    Do the Eskimos not think a free agent QB, who's talked about how important winning is, is not watching and seeing what's going on?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Spruce Grove
    Posts
    7,056
    vCash
    100
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    100

    Re: Esks cut ties with Paul Jones

    We don’t need scouts... Players and agents are going to fall all over themselves at the privilege of playing under Rhodent.
    What the f*ck are Len and the board doing?!?!?
    Just a quick shout out to Mr."Winning isn't everything" for pis*ing away not one but TWO HoF QB's. F*ck you Len and good riddance.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    713
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    51

    Re: Esks cut ties with Paul Jones

    Just going out on a shaky limb here. Exactly how much time did Jones spend around the team offices? I was always under the impression he preferred to spend as much time as possible out of his home base in Alabama = as little time as possible in Edmonton. That might not be bad if the person's role is strictly scouting. However with the pressures placed with the new FOPs cap likely meaning smaller staffs and more multi-tasking/delegating of duties is it possible Sunderland felt Jones' role needed to change some, including possibly being based in Edmonton? Organizationally does it make sense to have the two most important guys in Football Ops located about as far away from each other as they can get on the continent?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    406
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    28

    Re: Esks cut ties with Paul Jones

    This oneís interesting. Word is Saskatchewan asked permission and it was granted. Seems odd for a lateral move for a personnel guy who was here 20-plus years.

    Could be he wanted out,could be Len trying to cut costs, could be Sunderland wanting his own people. Bottom line is itís a lot of experience out the door to a rival when it could have been prevented. Is there a coach in the rectangle Edmonton wanted? Could they have got a player or pick?

    Then, thereís the question of how he is replaced. I doubt there are many guys out there with similar resumes. Who does Brock know? Is Murphy coming here or someone else? As mentioned, Iíd bet Reilly keeps a close eye on this.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    2,854
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    64

    Re: Esks cut ties with Paul Jones

    What is the saying - if we didn’t have bad luck/news we wouldn’t have any luck/news.

    Not looking forward to EE 2019. Right now nothing bodes well.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    237
    vCash
    1000
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: Esks cut ties with Paul Jones

    Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    I genuinely have no idea what we're doing.
    I'm starting to totally pissed off with this whole situation what in the heck is going on with our beloved Eskimos ,if this is true he is joining the sliders is that not tampering as well talking to a scout under contract ? Why doesn't the league step in?I live in regina and have heard nothing in regards to Paul Jones joining sliderville

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    15,775
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    131

    Re: Esks cut ties with Paul Jones

    Quote Originally Posted by dealerd View Post
    I'm starting to totally pissed off with this whole situation what in the heck is going on with our beloved Eskimos ,if this is true he is joining the sliders is that not tampering as well talking to a scout under contract ? Why doesn't the league step in?I live in regina and have heard nothing in regards to Paul Jones joining sliderville
    I mean u could flip it and say Paul wasn’t doing his job we’ll enough because all the finds/gems this club has made in the last 5 years have been from hunter and Hervey...

    We all know that’s not technically true... but if you look at it that way Paul won’t be missed


    From my point of view I think jones have brought in enough talent over the years and if the riders are that keen to get him before he’s even read his termination email from Len then it shows u how much others think of him and his eye for talent..


    I still don’t know where we are going with our scouting dept.. I am ok with movin on from people right or wrong if I see a path or a trail of vision.. right now I see nothin.. which is scary..



    Heck I’ll do it... I have intel of a vast amount of players.. brock.. gimme a call buddy

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    Just going out on a shaky limb here. Exactly how much time did Jones spend around the team offices? I was always under the impression he preferred to spend as much time as possible out of his home base in Alabama = as little time as possible in Edmonton. That might not be bad if the person's role is strictly scouting. However with the pressures placed with the new FOPs cap likely meaning smaller staffs and more multi-tasking/delegating of duties is it possible Sunderland felt Jones' role needed to change some, including possibly being based in Edmonton? Organizationally does it make sense to have the two most important guys in Football Ops located about as far away from each other as they can get on the continent?

    It’s not the end of the world to cut ties with people .... just wish there was a plan.. and if there was one.. someone please fill me in

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    5,721
    vCash
    755
    Rep Power
    73

    Re: Esks cut ties with Paul Jones

    Quote Originally Posted by dealerd View Post
    I'm starting to totally pissed off with this whole situation what in the heck is going on with our beloved Eskimos ,if this is true he is joining the sliders is that not tampering as well talking to a scout under contract ? Why doesn't the league step in?I live in regina and have heard nothing in regards to Paul Jones joining sliderville
    You can talk to guys under contract if the team gives them permission too. Some guys even have clauses in their contracts that let them leave if the job they are going for is deemed a step up from what they're doing now.

    If Paul Jones wanted to leave, he is free to leave. He's been here 20 years and some times change is a good thing. He's brought us some good players for sure.

    I'll wait and see what shakes out from all these moves but right now, Brock and Lyin' Lenny don't leave me with much confidence.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    237
    vCash
    1000
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: Esks cut ties with Paul Jones

    Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    I mean u could flip it and say Paul wasn’t doing his job we’ll enough because all the finds/gems this club has made in the last 5 years have been from hunter and Hervey...

    We all know that’s not technically true... but if you look at it that way Paul won’t be missed


    From my point of view I think jones have brought in enough talent over the years and if the riders are that keen to get him before he’s even read his termination email from Len then it shows u how much others think of him and his eye for talent..


    I still don’t know where we are going with our scouting dept.. I am ok with movin on from people right or wrong if I see a path or a trail of vision.. right now I see nothin.. which is scary..



    Heck I’ll do it... I have intel of a vast amount of players.. brock.. gimme a call buddy

    - - - Updated - - -

    When can we cut ties with Rhodes and bring in Fleming and give him full control on the ESKIMO WAY?


    It’s not the end of the world to cut ties with people .... just wish there was a plan.. and if there was one.. someone please fill me in
    - - - Updated - - -

    [QUOTE=dealerd;857725][/QU

    - - - Updated - - -

    When can we cut ties with Rhodes and bring in Fleming and give him full control on the ESKIMO WAY?

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Vancouver Island
    Posts
    4,170
    vCash
    27620
    Rep Power
    186

    Re: Esks cut ties with Paul Jones

    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    Just going out on a shaky limb here. Exactly how much time did Jones spend around the team offices? I was always under the impression he preferred to spend as much time as possible out of his home base in Alabama = as little time as possible in Edmonton. That might not be bad if the person's role is strictly scouting. However with the pressures placed with the new FOPs cap likely meaning smaller staffs and more multi-tasking/delegating of duties is it possible Sunderland felt Jones' role needed to change some, including possibly being based in Edmonton? Organizationally does it make sense to have the two most important guys in Football Ops located about as far away from each other as they can get on the continent?
    In Edmonton, Jones had operated, at times, as the de facto Asst GM... but I'm guessing that with the title officially in place, there is either more prestige or more pay. Hard to argue there is more control with a Chris Jones organization and another Asst GM in place as well, but Paul Jones is more than enough familiar with what he's getting into, having been one of the people instrumental in bring Chris Jones to the CFL in the first place.

    I don't know if Edmonton balked at giving him the title. I don't know if it played a role in the decision. It does make some sense, if we were/are looking to add an Asst GM, that we'd perhaps want someone in Edmonton to handle contracts, admin, etc, whereas with the Riders, it would seem logical that O'Day fills that aspect of the role and could potentially free up Paul Jones to operate at more of a geographic distance.

    I still want to see what the cake looks like when it's fully baked and the Football Ops cap/budget is spent. While this caught me by surprise, I'm generally not a believer that these things catch those inside the organization by surprise, and I suspect that there are plans in place that will come clearer in the next few months. For those questioning whether Reilly is watching this unfold, of course he is... but he's not following it on Twitter, he's in touch with Maas and Sunderland, and he's plugged into the direction and plans.

    It is troubling to lose Hervey, Hunter, Ralph and Jones in a fairly short period of time - that represents a lot of collective talent, experience and success at recruitment of CFL players. I think we'd be nuts to not be somewhat concerned, but virtually everyone in pro sports wants to work with their own guys when their own job is contingent upon their success. At this point, so long as Sunderland is the GM, he's entitled to do that, and I'm going to be waiting anxiously at to what that plan looks like, who those guys are, and what results will they be able to bring.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,321
    vCash
    100
    Rep Power
    128

    Re: Esks cut ties with Paul Jones

    Tire fires at least bring warmth I have 0 warmth for this organization right now.
    In Rod we trust

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Edmonton Area
    Posts
    44,395
    vCash
    1500
    Rep Power
    136

    Re: Esks cut ties with Paul Jones

    I doubt any of these moves are being made by Sunderland. I believe this is Rhodent's moves, and Sunderland is merely a pawn who wont raise a stink to what Rhodent is doing. Riders asked to speak to Jones and we allowed it- happens all the time in sports. What I think is interesting is he (Jones) was quick to bolt... eye opener to the **** storm thats happening here. What im dissapointed in is the fact we aren't saying anything about those we've let walk. Bad PR and a **** you to those people.

    Personally I think Rhodes is slashing the football ops payroll so he has more of the pie to spend on his garbage.. Things will never change BoD is beyond useless and will never do what is right ( fire Rhodes).


    Maybe its time for the Esks to drop the "community" owned theme.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    7,794
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    89

    Re: Esks cut ties with Paul Jones

    The Esks oline, DB and LB corps have needed an upgrade for the last few years. The Americans we brought in just didn't cut it. If that was on Paul Jones, glad to see him gone.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Edmonton Area
    Posts
    44,395
    vCash
    1500
    Rep Power
    136

    Re: Esks cut ties with Paul Jones

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post
    The Esks oline, DB and LB corps have needed an upgrade for the last few years. The Americans we brought in just didn't cut it. If that was on Paul Jones, glad to see him gone.
    I'm not terribly upset Jones is gone - more upset and how the Esks are going about it.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    15,775
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    131

    Re: Esks cut ties with Paul Jones

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post
    The Esks oline, DB and LB corps have needed an upgrade for the last few years. The Americans we brought in just didn't cut it. If that was on Paul Jones, glad to see him gone.
    Solid point for sure... Paul has certainly had his fair share of hits and misses over the years . As I said I don’t mind moving on from people.. jut wished we had the plan in the public ( as gwn stated I’m sure there is a plan ) cos we look just plain stupid atm..

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    I'm not terribly upset Jones is gone - more upset and how the Esks are going about it.

    I can agree with this tbh!

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,376
    vCash
    1928
    Rep Power
    108

    Re: Esks cut ties with Paul Jones

    #tirefire

    Paul Jones willingly left the EE to work with CJ. That says a lot. He even put up with the ET era. The leprechaun is looking more & more like a garden gnome.

    For those of you that think PJ didn’t contribute all that much, basically anyone from the southeast +/- Texas was thanks to him.

    Crazy that Justin Dunk put it out there before the EE did. They have no manners....or respect.
    Last edited by Smartie123; 12-28-2018 at 10:07 AM.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    15,775
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    131

    Re: Esks cut ties with Paul Jones

    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    #tirefire

    Paul Jones willingly left the EE to work with CJ. That says a lot. He even put up with the ET era. The leprechaun is looking more & more like a garden gnome.

    For those of you that think PJ didn’t contribute all that much, basically anyone from the southeast +/- Texas was thanks to him.

    Crazy that Justin Dunk put it out there before the EE did. They have no manners....or respect.
    Jones leave or was he fired/not renewed?

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Edmonton Area
    Posts
    44,395
    vCash
    1500
    Rep Power
    136

    Re: Esks cut ties with Paul Jones

    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    #tirefire



    Crazy that Justin Dunk put it out there before the EE did. They have no manners....or respect.

    doesn't surprise me with Rhodes at the helm

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    713
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    51

    Re: Esks cut ties with Paul Jones

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    In Edmonton, Jones had operated, at times, as the de facto Asst GM... but I'm guessing that with the title officially in place, there is either more prestige or more pay. Hard to argue there is more control with a Chris Jones organization and another Asst GM in place as well, but Paul Jones is more than enough familiar with what he's getting into, having been one of the people instrumental in bring Chris Jones to the CFL in the first place.

    I don't know if Edmonton balked at giving him the title. I don't know if it played a role in the decision. It does make some sense, if we were/are looking to add an Asst GM, that we'd perhaps want someone in Edmonton to handle contracts, admin, etc, whereas with the Riders, it would seem logical that O'Day fills that aspect of the role and could potentially free up Paul Jones to operate at more of a geographic distance.

    I still want to see what the cake looks like when it's fully baked and the Football Ops cap/budget is spent. While this caught me by surprise, I'm generally not a believer that these things catch those inside the organization by surprise, and I suspect that there are plans in place that will come clearer in the next few months. For those questioning whether Reilly is watching this unfold, of course he is... but he's not following it on Twitter, he's in touch with Maas and Sunderland, and he's plugged into the direction and plans.

    It is troubling to lose Hervey, Hunter, Ralph and Jones in a fairly short period of time - that represents a lot of collective talent, experience and success at recruitment of CFL players. I think we'd be nuts to not be somewhat concerned, but virtually everyone in pro sports wants to work with their own guys when their own job is contingent upon their success. At this point, so long as Sunderland is the GM, he's entitled to do that, and I'm going to be waiting anxiously at to what that plan looks like, who those guys are, and what results will they be able to bring.
    I was wondering it the rumour he will join the Riders under the title AGM is just a sneaky way to offer more money under the auspices of more responsibility thus shaping it as a move up. Certainly with O'Day in place as AGM and being fulltime in Regina one would think he'd be taking a lot of contract negotiations and other GM type functions off Chris Jones' plate. A second AGM would seem redundant especially in light of the FOPs cap. Perhaps the AGM title is just a means of paying more money to hold the same role he had with Edmonton.

    Re: Hunter I'm wondering if he isn't already half way back to Edmonton. In the CFL Offseason thread someone noted Torrey Hunter's name is no longer listed on the Lions' website. I wasn't aware so double-checked. Apparently one can Google Torrey Hunter and come up with a Lions bio that is written referencing him entering his 2nd year aka 2019. However it is indeed accurate that he is not amongst the names listed under their Football Ops staff. It lists Hervey, McAvoy, Simon and Okeke. Unless their webmaster just made a mistake and accidentally deleted Hunter it would appear that he might be gone or at least a return is not yet finalized.
    Last edited by Hammer24; 12-28-2018 at 10:46 AM.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Campbell River BC
    Posts
    6,957
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    316

    Re: Esks cut ties with Paul Jones

    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    I was wondering it the rumour he will join the Riders under the title AGM is just a sneaky way to offer more money under the auspices of more responsibility thus shaping it as a move up. Certainly with O'Day in place as AGM and being fulltime in Regina one would think he'd be taking a lot of contract negotiations and other GM type functions off Chris Jones' plate. A second AGM would seem redundant especially in light of the FOPs cap. Perhaps the AGM title is just a means of paying more money to hold the same role he had with Edmonton.

    Re: Hunter I'm wondering if he isn't already half way back to Edmonton. In the CFL Offseason thread someone noted Torrey Hunter's name is no longer listed on the Lions' website. I wasn't aware so double-checked. Apparently one can Google Torrey Hunter and come up with a Lions bio that is written referencing him entering his 2nd year aka 2019. However it is indeed accurate that he is not amongst the names listed under their Football Ops staff. It lists Hervey, McAvoy, Simon and Okeke. Unless their webmaster just made a mistake and accidentally deleted Hunter it would appear that he might be gone or at least a return is not yet finalized.
    I would be VERY surprised if Hervey lets Hunter go. They were joined at the hip when I ran into them in Ottawa.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,376
    vCash
    1928
    Rep Power
    108

    Re: Esks cut ties with Paul Jones

    Hunter is staying with BC.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    713
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    51

    Re: Esks cut ties with Paul Jones

    Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    I would be VERY surprised if Hervey lets Hunter go. They were joined at the hip when I ran into them in Ottawa.
    One would think but in the meantime the Lions website seems right up to date. Buono and all the other coaches who aren't returning have been removed from the org chart. All the new coaching hires have been added to the org chart. And Hunter's name is strangely absent. Turftoe noted that back on the same day the Lions named their new coaching staff. 10 days later he's still MIA on the org chart.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    15,775
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    131

    Re: Esks cut ties with Paul Jones

    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    Hunter is staying with BC.
    Let’s be honest hunter isn’t the be all and end all in terms of scouts. He’s good no doubt and I like his in the flesh on the day approach... but jones was the master at that imho and prob still is.. that guy can identify an athlete that will fit his scheme.. however

    I terms of scouted talent I’d say Calgary have had a long period of success even through turnover of players if I was anyone from a other org.. I’d be fleecing Calgary then sask ( Qb aside ) before Edmonton or bc


    I’m going to take the wait and see approach on what we’re doing because the other way doesn’t read to good for us.. lol

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •