Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Esks cut ties with Paul Jones

vCash

Re: Esks cut ties with Paul Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    I would try to have a Baconator once a year to support Wendy's (for supporting the CFL). One a year was enough of that greasy thing.
    Cholestrol Shlomesterol.
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Agreed that we lost a leader and a face of the franchise. If you went to any off field Eskimo event, he was there, usually playing with the kids. Odell will always be a favorite of mine but on a player for player perspective, Ceresna and Bazzie are an upgrade over having just Odell.
    Fair enough. However, one could argue that it shouldn’t be merely a “player for player” comparison because there are situational aspects that cannot be accounted for in a quantitative manner (ie. purely by numbers).

BC needed the current version of Odell more than Edmonton did. Edmonton had a core group of veteran leaders in place. (Personally, I don’t think any of them hold a candle to the off field leadership of Odell, but you guys don’t care about that, even tho it’s so important from a “team building “ aspect and, no, I don’t mean playing with the kids.)
    BC had JJx2, Manny & Solly....not really guys that inspire or truly lead outside of themselves. Travis - maybe, but he was visibly fatigued by Game 16 & had his iwn demons to contend with when he couldn’t throw strongly enough or far enough.)
    Regardless, on the D - and arguably for the sake of the entire team - they needed Odell for more than the stat line. It’s interesting, because Ed did the same thing in Edmonton, except it was before the obvious metamorphosis, so people don’t consider it the same way. Do you really think that was all/only about sacks & forced fumbles?

(Sidenote: I still contend that if Bazzie or Ceresna were held or double-teamed to the same degree as Odell, their stats would be nowhere close to what they were. Odell would come off the field after every D series pi$$ed as hell because of the holding & double teaming....)
    Last edited by Smartie123; 01-04-2019 at 04:02 PM.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    (Sidenote: I still contend that if Bazzie or Ceresna were held or double-teamed to the same degree as Odell, their stats would be nowhere close to what they were. Odell would come off the field after every D series pi$$ed as hell because of the holding & double teaming....)
    Sort of like Kabongo getting called for holding pretty much every game he played... I remember him getting called for it when he wasn't even on the field for that down! They were so used to just throwing the flag and calling him they didn't notice he wasn't out there...
    Overheard at Spirit of Edmonton.
    Boydo - Jeez Sean I always forget how tall you are...
    Wad - That’s ok Boydo, we remember how short you are! (As Swerve chuckles and nods while drinking his Coors)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    Sort of like Kabongo getting called for holding pretty much every game he played... I remember him getting called for it when he wasn't even on the field for that down! They were so used to just throwing the flag and calling him they didn't notice he wasn't out there...
    Yes!

...and the kicker (pun not intended) is that Odell gets offside penalties in top of it all because of his faster than Usain Bolt pushoff. It’s so frustrating to watch!

vCash

Imagine how Sewell feels..and all the nt’s Feel like laurant, double teamed every down every day every week..

Team game....

Odell shouldn’t come off pissed he should be pleased he’s lettin others eat..

Loved Odell as an eskimo no question.. same as ad, but his final year here his drop off was substantial.it was the right time to let him go from a player prospective... we lost his locker room leadership but we had mike reilly and EVERYONE plays for mike... u can go and ask any of the eskimo players U may know!. let’s see if he’s still got any fire in his belly year 2 for the lions under stubs and his bend but don’t break philosophy.. can see the same results as he had in benes scheme.. but we will see ..
    Last edited by cmbuk; 01-04-2019 at 04:16 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    Having looked at most CFL teams' pricing to compare with my Lions seats I would say the Esks have the LOWEST ticket prices in the league. Looking at the stadium map it appears that nearly 1/3 of CW seats would be in the Bronze group. There might only be 1/3 of the total capacity in the higher range Gold, Platinum and Super Platinum and those are priced inexpensively compared to similar seats in all other markets. My Lions seat is on the 45 which would be in Super Platinum at CW. Cost is $760 for 10 games vs $723 at CW for 11 games. That $760 is also cheaper for a similar location in just about all other CFL markets.
    You're probably right except that a lot of bronze seats have been pulled out of the system with the closed seats. Bronze seats start at row 45 from approximately outside the 35 yard line, but they closed off about half of those seats a couple years ago. Between the 35s, Bronze don't start until about Row 61 which is quite frankly too high as you'll see a lot of empty seats in rows 54-61, then almost all the seats full at row 61 or 62 (where it turns to bronze), this is likely because rows 45-61 in those sections are Gold and double the price. I suspect if they want to increase ticket sales at some point they may need to move the lines a bit for the price points.
    Last edited by bone; 01-04-2019 at 04:24 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Imagine how Sewell feels..and all the nt’s Feel like laurant, double teamed every down every day every week..

Team game....

Loved Odell as an eskimo no question.. same as ad, but his final year here his drop off was substantial.it was the right time to let him go from a player prospective... we lost his locker room leadership but we had mike reilly and EVERYONE plays for mike... u can go and ask any of the eskimo players U may know!. let’s see if he’s still got any fire in his belly year 2 for the lions under stubs and his bend but don’t break philosophy.. can see the same results as he had in benes scheme.. but we will see ..
    I’ll bet you that even Mike missed Odell’s leadership.

vCash

I’ll bet you that even Mike missed Odell’s leadership.
    Your prob right...

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Team game....

Mike was the clear leader on O, Odell was the clear leader on D.
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Fair enough. However, one could argue that it shouldn’t be merely a “player for player” comparison because there are situational aspects that cannot be accounted for in a quantitative manner (ie. purely by numbers).

BC needed the current version of Odell more than Edmonton did. Edmonton had a core group of veteran leaders in place. (Personally, I don’t think any of them hold a candle to the off field leadership of Odell, but you guys don’t care about that, even tho it’s so important from a “team building “ aspect and, no, I don’t mean playing with the kids.)
    BC had JJx2, Manny & Solly....not really guys that inspire or truly lead outside of themselves. Travis - maybe, but he was visibly fatigued by Game 16 & had his iwn demons to contend with when he couldn’t throw strongly enough or far enough.)
    Regardless, on the D - and arguably for the sake of the entire team - they needed Odell for more than the stat line. It’s interesting, because Ed did the same thing in Edmonton, except it was before the obvious metamorphosis, so people don’t consider it the same way. Do you really think that was all/only about sacks & forced fumbles?

Oh I get it, I love Odell as a player and person. Nothing was better than watching him lead the team huddle before the game and hearing, from row 42, "Hey Eskimos how ya'll doin" I'm just stating that this isn't a move that Sunderland should be criticized for as he turned 1 starter into 2 essentially. Before Q accuses me of being a Sunderland lover, I will say that like any GM he has had his share of flops as well, only time will tell.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    Mike was the clear leader on O, Odell was the clear leader on D.
    Yea that’s true.. d guys prob needed there own voice

Wonder who’s that guy now? Almondo? J.C.?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    You're probably right except that a lot of bronze seats have been pulled out of the system with the closed seats. Bronze seats start at row 45 from approximately outside the 35 yard line, but they closed off about half of those seats a couple years ago. Between the 35s, Bronze don't start until about Row 61 which is quite frankly too high as you'll see a lot of empty seats in rows 54-61, then almost all the seats full at row 61 or 62 (where it turns to bronze), this is likely because rows 45-61 in those sections are Gold and double the price. I suspect if they want to increase ticket sales at some point they may need to move the lines a bit for the price points.
    I can only judge by the map. I don't know what areas are actually unavailable. Still based on overall structure I'd wager if you took the Esks overall gate revenue and divided it by total number of tickets sold it would be the lowest $/ticket sold in the CFL. That's not at all a knock but rather the reality with such a large inventory. It makes for a much different pricing structure than a stadium of say 25000 can push. It's a difficult balancing act to make a price structure flow. You can't charge too much for the prime seats or you risk losing fans to relocation to cheaper options. Similarly as much as you want to make cheap seats attractive you can't price them so low as to encourage fans in higher price points to move to them.

vCash

Those two guys seem to be quiet leaders, if anything. Very different from Odell.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Yea that’s true.. d guys prob needed there own voice

From what I understand, JC is the heart of the defence, and was even when Odell was hear (remember, he was injured nearly all of 2017). This is taking nothing away from the leader that Odell was (he was certainly at least the larynx of the defence), but I believe that even he would have deferred to Sherritt. There are few more universally respected than JC.

Almonds is more of a lead by example kind of guy, who will pop a dislocated rib back in, get it taped and play through it. When he does speak, guys listen, but more he's not a rah-rah guy.

What I admire the most about Odell's transformation is that he doesn't feel the NEED to be the guy. He is capable of it, but he's equally able to play a role within a leadership team. There are still some elements of discipline that crop up from time to time, and they can hurt a team or be a distraction at times, but imo, they are well outweighed by the positives.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    ...This is taking nothing away from the leader that Odell was (he was certainly at least the larynx of the defence)...
    GO ESKS GO!

vCash

Lol. Lions OLC and mad scientest Dan Dorazio broke Kabongo's holding habit. Dorazio started having Kabongo go through a bunch of blocking drills with his arms bungy-corded to his body so he couldn't hold. He rarely got flagged for holding while with BC.

vCash

Lol. Lions OLC and mad scientest Dan Dorazio broke Kabongo's holding habit. Dorazio started having Kabongo go through a bunch of blocking drills with his arms bungy-corded to his body so he couldn't hold. He rarely got flagged for holding while with BC.
    Sounds like Eddie Shore when he used to tie his goalie to the net keep him from flopping .

vCash

That’s why dorazio is a legend!

Knows all the old school tricks!

vCash
    Blog Entries

I remember them using oven mitts and boxing gloves for him here...
    Overheard at Spirit of Edmonton.
    Boydo - Jeez Sean I always forget how tall you are...
    Wad - That’s ok Boydo, we remember how short you are! (As Swerve chuckles and nods while drinking his Coors)

vCash

I remember them using oven mitts and boxing gloves for him here...
    Our Highschool Coach taped the hands into fists so the guys could get used to Blocking with the base of the palm.
    Run the Ball up the gut around the horn it does not matter. We run we win what is so difficult to understand.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by danlaurin View Post
    Our Highschool Coach taped the hands into fists so the guys could get used to Blocking with the base of the palm.
    When I was playing O-line in minor football (and this is going way back) all the O-lineman wore these white padded forearm protectors that ran from the elbow to the first knuckle. I remember once one of the officials telling me it was easier to identify holding when lineman wore those because of the contrast in color between their hands and the rest of their arms -they could identify the position of the hands in the heat of the action quicker. After hearing that I started wearing white leather curling gloves to "blend in" to the pads. Never got flagged for holding, ever
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

When I was playing O-line in minor football (and this is going way back) all the O-lineman wore these white padded forearm protectors that ran from the elbow to the first knuckle. I remember once one of the officials telling me it was easier to identify holding when lineman wore those because of the contrast in color between their hands and the rest of their arms -they could identify the position of the hands in the heat of the action quicker. After hearing that I started wearing white leather curling gloves to "blend in" to the pads. Never got flagged for holding, ever
    I had some teammates who wore those things and I just could never get used to them. The referee makes a good point, that would be a dead giveaway — and you had a great solution to the problem.

vCash

Everyone looks for an edge. Carl Brewer got away with holding by cutting the palms out of his hockey gloves. Grabbed a guy with his hands while it looked like the glove fingers were just resting on a player's shoulder.