Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Esks cut ties with Paul Jones

vCash

Re: Esks cut ties with Paul Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    In BC he only gets to play in the warm climate every second game. He has to practice in the cold damp rain every day. No cushy warm fieldhouse
    Tell me about it Even worse up here in Squamish!

Happy New Year's, everyone!
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by writfiler View Post
    Figueroa was only interested in playing in a warm climate, hence him signing in BC.....
    Funny because I was told he was only interested in gettin the most money...

Canít ever knock a man for getting paid.. not in this game

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Tell me about it Even worse up here in Squamish!

Happy New Year's, everyone!
    Lol. I can relate. I spent better part of 25 years on the north end of Vancouver Island. Vancouver is a dry climate compared to there.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by writfiler View Post
    Figueroa was only interested in playing in a warm climate, hence him signing in BC.....
    The word was the Esks didn't even offer Figureoa a contract.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    The word was the Esks didn't even offer Figureoa a contract.
    I have word that he was offered a contract.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    I have word that he was offered a contract.
    Yup I was told he was offered a contract.. But bc offer was way more.... Eskimos couldn't compete after all the other re ups

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post

I don't believe that Bazzie was paid as much as what O'Dell had been making,

Bazzie got $10k more than O'Dell, I can't forget that.
    PLEASE do not feed the trolls!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eskiman View Post
    And he ended the season on a high, while Odell dropped off. Odell ended with 22 tackles and 11 sacks, while Bazzie had 39 tackles and 8 sacks. Almost double the amount of tackles while only giving up 3 sacks.

Sunderland has had his share of losses but if we had held onto Odell and not signed Bazzie our Dline would have been much worse than it was. This was a win in my eyes.

vCash

Bazzie with a more aggressive dc.... he will be a double digit sack machine

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eskiman View Post
    I stand corrected.

I never know just how much stock to put into publicly reported salaries, but I guess it depends on the source as to how credible they are. What you're saying would not be a stretch to believe, though I don't recall hearing it previously.

And he ended the season on a high, while Odell dropped off. Odell ended with 22 tackles and 11 sacks, while Bazzie had 39 tackles and 8 sacks. Almost double the amount of tackles while only giving up 3 sacks.

Sunderland has had his share of losses but if we had held onto Odell and not signed Bazzie our Dline would have been much worse than it was. This was a win in my eyes.
    Understanding that the "trade" was essentially two-for-one... traded for Ceresna (cheap) and signing Bazzie (expensive). Not much drop-off (in some measures) from Cummings/Willis, and could be much better set up for seasons to come as a result.

As with many things, I'm not crazy about how the thing was handled, and while I don't think Willis wanted to leave Edmonton (he's living and working in Edmonton this off-season), the implementation of the DE rotation that saw him a healthy scratch a few times, likely had already wounded the pride a little too much to stay.

vCash

I thought the opposite re: Odell. I thought his play picked up, especially once Lemon was acquired and Louis was promoted from the PR. Prior to that I thought Willis was mostly ineffective and at times virtually invisible except for a few dumb penalties. The one in Ottawa was particularly galling as he decided with BC having forced Ottawa into a punting situation it would be a good time to go traipsing and chirping his way through the REDBLACKS bench

vCash

Willis had 8 tackles and 4 sacks in his first six games last year.
    He had 10 tackles and 5 sacks in the middle six games
    He had 4 tackles and 3 sacks in the finals six games (this included a stretch of three games where he did not have a single tackle or sack)

He was also shut out in the Lions playoff game.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

In the entire last third if the season (at least), if you watch closely (or not so closely), Odell was always getting double-teamed or held or both. Itís easy to say he dropped off based on the stat line, but thatís not the entire story.

The addition of Lemon helped a bit, but only on the pass rush, not against the run. Lemon doesnít run.

The other thing that is not accounted for by stats is that Odell is the OG. Bazzie was not/likely will never be the leader he is in (& out) of the room. It takes a special person to keep his teammates in line off the field, too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Willis had 8 tackles and 4 sacks in his first six games last year.
    He had 10 tackles and 5 sacks in the middle six games
    He had 4 tackles and 3 sacks in the finals six games (this included a stretch of three games where he did not have a single tackle or sack)

He was also shut out in the Lions playoff game.
    EVERYONE (on the Lions) was shut out in their playoff game.
    ....and thank you for supporting my point about the last 6 games or so

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    I thought the opposite re: Odell. I thought his play picked up, especially once Lemon was acquired and Louis was promoted from the PR. Prior to that I thought Willis was mostly ineffective and at times virtually invisible except for a few dumb penalties. The one in Ottawa was particularly galling as he decided with BC having forced Ottawa into a punting situation it would be a good time to go traipsing and chirping his way through the REDBLACKS bench
    The Lions were winning down the stretch (grumble, grumble) and I would bet that colours the perspectives a little too. The mistakes aren't so memorable when you're walking out with the W.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    The Lions were winning down the stretch (grumble, grumble) and I would bet that colours the perspectives a little too. The mistakes aren't so memorable when you're walking out with the W.
    Not really. I was not happy with his play at all in the early going of the season. The penalty in Ottawa really stung because I was sitting up in the stands watching the idiot commit it. Call it the Odell Willis hat-trick. 1 tackle, 1 sack and 1 Objectionable Conduct penalty to give the ball back to Ottawa to continue their drive.

I believe it was Week 4 when they were trailing the Bombers 17-0 late in the 3rd that Hervey was down on the sidelines during the game and pulled Odell aside for a little one-sided chat. The rumoured gist of the conversation was that Ed didn't bring him to BC just to cash his cheques and he might want to start earning his salary. It did seem to work as Odell went from invisible to picking up 2 sacks in the final 8-1/2 minutes and the Lions pulled off the comeback putting them at 2-2 on the season.

Prior to Lemon coming over they had 9 sacks in 5 games. When Louis was inserted into the lineup they had 13 in 7 games. They would chalk up 32 in the final 11 games.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    In the entire last third if the season (at least), if you watch closely (or not so closely), Odell was always getting double-teamed or held or both. It’s easy to say he dropped off based on the stat line, but that’s not the entire story.

The addition of Lemon helped a bit, but only on the pass rush, not against the run. Lemon doesn’t run.

The other thing that is not accounted for by stats is that Odell is the OG. Bazzie was not/likely will never be the leader he is in (& out) of the room. It takes a special person to keep his teammates in line off the field, too.

- - - Updated - - -

EVERYONE (on the Lions) was shut out in their playoff game.
    ....and thank you for supporting my point about the last 6 games or so
    Agreed that we lost a leader and a face of the franchise. If you went to any off field Eskimo event, he was there, usually playing with the kids. Odell will always be a favorite of mine but on a player for player perspective, Ceresna and Bazzie are an upgrade over having just Odell.

vCash

Also can't forget the age difference. Odell is on the downside of his career and we essentially got 2 D Lineman on the upswing of their careers for him. The production was nearly the same this year, and I'm willing to bet it will be better in short order. Odell had intangibles for sure and proved he can still play at a high level, but the changes on the D Line in 2018 were good moves IMO.

A year too early, is always better than a year too late.
    Is it game day yet?????

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TeqEEla View Post
    Also can't forget the age difference. Odell is on the downside of his career and we essentially got 2 D Lineman on the upswing of their careers for him. The production was nearly the same this year, and I'm willing to bet it will be better in short order. Odell had intangibles for sure and proved he can still play at a high level, but the changes on the D Line in 2018 were good moves IMO.

Agree..

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TeqEEla View Post

Well, one of those 2 DLs has already signed in the NFL so it likely just Odell vs. Bazzie for this season. May still be a net gain, but remains to be seen.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Well, one of those 2 DLs has already signed in the NFL so it likely just Odell vs. Bazzie for this season. May still be a net gain, but remains to be seen.
    not entirely true as we had Ceresna for 2018 and I'm sure if he shakes loose, he'll be coming back to us.

vCash

not entirely true as we had Ceresna for 2018 and I'm sure if he shakes loose, he'll be coming back to us.
    I agree the net gain for 2018 was good, not sure for 2019 now though with Cherry likely gone. As for him coming back.... I sure hope so.

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Thought this was interesting

I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

I know this doesn't fit with the narrative around here, but that's a pretty standard business practice in 2019

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by icezilla View Post
    I know this doesn't fit with the narrative around here, but that's a pretty standard business practice in 2019
    Agreed, you have to keep an eye on your image

vCash

Not to mention, when someone is dumping your insider info on social media... you damn well should be monitoring and acting on that.
    Is it game day yet?????

vCash

Agreed, you have to keep an eye on your image
    How about the President of a Professional sports team not tell his entire fan base that winning doesn't mean anything to him to keep your image up? If you as an organization are always trying to get better and doing everything you can to win, even in years you don't win it all, your image with the fans will be pretty good. If you as an organization tell your fans they don't think winning is that important, actively place an emphasis on gimmicks and being a concert promoter for B rated bands all while raising ticket prices on a yearly basis like the Esks do, then YES, you maybe have to monitor your "image" on social media.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    Thought this was interesting

Not really at all actually.

I've known a few people who've been let go from jobs because of what they've said on social media.

This is no different.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    How about the President of a Professional sports team not tell his entire fan base that winning doesn't mean anything to him to keep your image up?
    He didn't say that.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Q gonna Q!

Oh man, never change!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    He didn't say that.
    The guy in his Hervey firing presser said "winning is not enough." What else is that supposed too mean? When have you ever heard a pro teams boss say something like that? As f'd up that the Oilers management has done things, they sure as hell aren't telling fans they don't place winning as a high priority. That's stupidity.