Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Esks cut ties with Paul Jones

vCash

Re: Esks cut ties with Paul Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    The guy in his Hervey firing presser said "winning is not enough." What else is that supposed too mean? When have you ever heard a pro teams boss say something like that? As f'd up that the Oilers management has done things, they sure as hell aren't telling fans they don't place winning as a high priority. That's stupidity.
    Again, not the actual quote. Here it is for you.
    "Yes we did win a Grey Cup but it's not enough," Rhodes said. "We've got to approach this differently.
    He did not write off winning. It's still one of his primary objectives (possibly his first). Filling the stands, entertaining the fans, working with the league (and it's partners) in a proactive manner, and contributing to the community are also key objectives.

I don't like the guy, but I'm not gonna twist his quotes to suit my agenda.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jtuck09 View Post
    Q gonna Q!

Oh man, never change!
    What the hell are you talking about? I was a loyal, PAYING customer for 25 freaking years man. Every year my seasons tickets went up a little bit. Every year the in house product went down. Maybe you find watching commercials on a giant screen entertaining, I sure as hell don't. But every year it's more and more and more as products and services are shoved down our throats. Don't believe me, ask someone else who goes all the time. So maybe I am alone on this but to have the boss of my team that I loyally cheered for and PAID for for 25 yrs tell me that winning is not enough all while he's reaching into my wallet for more money every year, I find offensive. It's pro sport. WINNING is EVERYTHING!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    "Yes we did win a Grey Cup but it's not enough," Rhodes said. "We've got to approach this differently.
    He did not write off winning. It's still one of his primary objectives (possibly his first). Filling the stands, entertaining the fans, working with the league (and it's partners) in a proactive manner, and contributing to the community are also key objectives.

It's pro sports. WINNING IS EVERYTHING!! Winning Championships is the ONLY goal for a pro sports team. It's not participation sports where just showing up is enough. The Esks each year are typically are one of if not the #1 team in attendance each year. They are typically one of the top if not the top most profitable team in the league every year. There isn't much more you can do other than WIN more often.
    Last edited by Sectionq; 01-04-2019 at 10:14 AM.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

It's pro sports. WINNING IS EVERYTHING!! Winning Championships is the ONLY goal for a pro sports team.
    Wrong. You are thinking like a fan
    Making money is the goal. Winning is a huge contributor to the goal. As are ticket sales, community involvement, working with the league (and it's partners) in a proactive manner, etc.

vCash

That’s the way I read it at the time to.. it’s not just winning but winning the right way.. or whatever way the people on the board deem right..

- - - Updated - - -

Making money is the goal. Winning is a huge contributor to the goal. As are ticket sales, community involvement, working with the league (and it's partners) in a proactive manner, etc.

Well said

vCash

They are one of the most profitable teams in the LEAGUE dude. What's the trend in stadiums in Canada CFL? In that 25K range. Ottawa, Winnipeg, Hamilton. Argos moved to BMO. What do you want to bet that the new stadium for the Atlantic team will be in that 25k range? The Esks average MORE than what those stadiums can hold AND they have higher ticket prices. More much more freaking money can they squeeze from the fan base? For sponsorship, is their ANYTHING that isn't sponsored now? They got the Brick to sponsor the stadium for 10 freaking home games. For a game day, is "Brick Field at Commonwealth Stadium" Every other day it's Commonwealth Stadium. The kick off is sponsored, the scoring zone is sponsored. Every aspect of the bloody game is sponsored in that place. Every stoppage in play is sponsored or some commercial is shown on the big screen. They have a "stretch of the game" sponsored by some Physio place. I know what I am talking about because I went to the majority of the games for 25 straight years. It's extremely difficult to go 5 mins in that place without hearing a sponsor mentioned or seeing a commercial on the screen. You live in Victoria, have you ever been to a game at Commonwealth to see what it's like first hand?
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Last edited by Hugoagogo; 01-04-2019 at 10:35 AM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    That’s the way I read it at the time to.. it’s not just winning but winning the right way.. or whatever way the people on the board deem right..

- - - Updated - - -

Well said
    You like to say I am wrong a lot man and that is fine. There is no disrespect intended what so ever dude with this question. Do you go to a lot of games at Commonwealth? I ask because there are lots of people who either don't live in Edmonton or are close enough to go to games or people who watch the games at home. Unless a person goes to the Esks game regularly, I don't think they can fully understand how much commercials or the sponsors are rammed down your throat as a fan at the game. As soon as you are within ear shot of the stadium as you walk from the train station, you can hear sponsors being blasted at you as you go to get in. Then once you get into the stadium, every TV screen has sponsors or commercials as you wait at the concession. Then once you hit the seats, its constant. You rarely see a replay on that screen, all you see is ads. I know you guys don't like me and that's fine so if you don't believe me, ask someone else. IT is relentless in there.

- - - Updated - - -

How many live games do you go to?

vCash

Are you classifying my level of fan? Are you Kevin Lowe?
    Dude I had season tickets probably before you were born so don't whip out that "I'm a fan" crap" just because you're upset that I've pointed out you were friggin wrong about your statements. You continue to misinterpret what people on this site say, and what representatives of the football club say --- and then you fall back on the "I've been a season ticket holder for 25 years" crap. Congrats, but that doesn't entitle you to make up BS to qualify your argument, nor does it make you a better fan than anyone on this site. So grow up... or go away.
    Last edited by Hugoagogo; 01-04-2019 at 01:28 PM.

vCash

They are one of the most profitable teams in the LEAGUE dude. What's the trend in stadiums in Canada CFL? In that 25K range. Ottawa, Winnipeg, Hamilton. Argos moved to BMO. What do you want to bet that the new stadium for the Atlantic team will be in that 25k range? The Esks average MORE than what those stadiums can hold AND they have higher ticket prices. More much more freaking money can they squeeze from the fan base? For sponsorship, is their ANYTHING that isn't sponsored now? They got the Brick to sponsor the stadium for 10 freaking home games. For a game day, is "Brick Field at Commonwealth Stadium" Every other day it's Commonwealth Stadium. The kick off is sponsored, the scoring zone is sponsored. Every aspect of the bloody game is sponsored in that place. Every stoppage in play is sponsored or some commercial is shown on the big screen. They have a "stretch of the game" sponsored by some Physio place. I know what I am talking about because I went to the majority of the games for 25 straight years. It's extremely difficult to go 5 mins in that place without hearing a sponsor mentioned or seeing a commercial on the screen. You live in Victoria, have you ever been to a game at Commonwealth to see what it's like first hand?
    Oye Q, Just because you've been going to games for 25 years does not make your opinion anymore valuable than hugo's. Do you actually even know his story? The landscape of life has changed drastically and will continue to do so, if a team doesn't adapt, that profit margin you speak of goes away in a hurry. I don't like all of the Ad's either but its a means for survival for a league that has always struggled to do so, so I live with it. Not so long ago it was VERY uncommon to get sub 30k games at commonwealth, now with the emergence of high definition TV as well as other factors we are struggling to maintain an average about that. This isn't just a CFL problem, several other sports are feeling the pinch as well. Like it or not, there is an Ad in our face with pretty much everything we do these days.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

You like to say I am wrong a lot man and that is fine. There is no disrespect intended what so ever dude with this question. Do you go to a lot of games at Commonwealth? I ask because there are lots of people who either don't live in Edmonton or are close enough to go to games or people who watch the games at home. Unless a person goes to the Esks game regularly, I don't think they can fully understand how much commercials or the sponsors are rammed down your throat as a fan at the game. As soon as you are within ear shot of the stadium as you walk from the train station, you can hear sponsors being blasted at you as you go to get in. Then once you get into the stadium, every TV screen has sponsors or commercials as you wait at the concession. Then once you hit the seats, its constant. You rarely see a replay on that screen, all you see is ads. I know you guys don't like me and that's fine so if you don't believe me, ask someone else. IT is relentless in there.

- - - Updated - - -

Love u Q!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Oye Q, Just because you've been going to games for 25 years does not make your opinion anymore valuable than hugo's. Do you actually even know his story? The landscape of life has changed drastically and will continue to do so, if a team doesn't adapt, that profit margin you speak of goes away in a hurry. I don't like all of the Ad's either but its a means for survival for a league that has always struggled to do so, so I live with it. Not so long ago it was VERY uncommon to get sub 30k games at commonwealth, now with the emergence of high definition TV as well as other factors we are struggling to maintain an average about that. This isn't just a CFL problem, several other sports are feeling the pinch as well. Like it or not, there is an Ad in our face with pretty much everything we do these days.
    About attendance, though, we've seen these dips before. We're not actually even at the worst in history. Late 80s they barely cracked 30K, before a temporary bump in 90-91, then dropped again going to about 29K in 92, 30K in 93, 29K again in 94, 31K in 95, 29K in 96, then they got serious about improving the team and dropped prices which led to increases for most of the next decade topping out around 40K from 2003-2005. In that era I remember a lot of cheap introductory season ticket prices for new season ticket holders. I remember a lot of Friday games. I remember the College Corner promotion really driving the Friday night games into being a place to be for people in their 20s. Finally, the economy rebounding in the late 90s early 2000s also helped.

Since then the team really hasn't done much other than increase prices, degenerate the game day experience, make it harder for the 20-somethings to have fun at a game and bombard us with advertisements. Couple this with disorder behind the scenes and generally poor team results leading to gradual decrease. Last year was the fifth lowest in Commonwealth history, not the worst. Granted the competition for dollars is more now, but the population is much bigger as well. I believe they can have a bit of a resurgence if they go about it the right way. It starts with the quality of the team coupled with a better game day experience. Though I hate Rhodes, I can admit some of the attempted promotions last year were a good start, but there needs to be much more and the ultimate answer does not lie with half time shows.
    Last edited by bone; 01-04-2019 at 11:15 AM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Since then the team really hasn't done much other than increase prices, degenerate the game day experience, make it harder for the 20-somethings to have fun at a game and bombard us with advertisements. Couple this with disorder behind the scenes and generally poor team results leading to gradual decrease. Last year was the fifth lowest in Commonwealth history. Granted the competition for dollars is more now, but the population is much bigger as well. I believe they can have a bit of a resurgence if they go about it the right way. It starts with the quality of the team coupled with a better game day experience. Though I hate Rhodes, I can admit some of the attempted promotions last year were a good start, but there needs to be much more and the ultimate answer does not lie with half time shows.
    I think CW is too big. Not just in capacity, but overall size. I certainly can understand why the Winnipeg's and Regina's have opted for just over 30k intimate stadiums where the fans are right on top of the action. It really helps add to the event. I think we would be better off with the upper deck closed completely, but there are too many logistical issues with that right now, and I know a lot of ST holders that really like their seats up there.

vCash

I think CW is too big. Not just in capacity, but overall size. I certainly can understand why the Winnipeg's and Regina's have opted for just over 30k intimate stadiums where the fans are right on top of the action. It really helps add to the event. I think we would be better off with the upper deck closed completely, but there are too many logistical issues with that right now, and I know a lot of ST holders that really like their seats up there.
    Agree, it's too big, but closing the entire top isn't the solution. Edmonton has proven that we can handle a 35-40K stadium over the long term as the historical average is over 36K and is still close to 34K if you exclude the first ten years where attendance was ridiculously high.

I understand closing the corners even though I lost my seats and I'm still bitter about it, but still think the better option was just closing off the top rows. The corners probably closed off around 10,000 seats. If you are going to close 10,000 seats shouldn't they be the ones near the top. I'm assuming each row near the top accounts for close to 1000 seats so close rows 70-84 and get people lower in the the upper bowl. Furthermore I doubt that it would have uprooted any season ticket holders. Finally the added benefit would be hiding those awful roughrider coloured seats.
    Last edited by bone; 01-04-2019 at 11:42 AM.

vCash

think the better option was just closing off the top rows.
    I like that idea. I think it would be easier to move ST holders in upper seats to the lower part of the upper deck versus displacing them altogether. It would also allow for maximum # seats in the centre of the field. I think the only logistical issue might be in the "tarping off" of those areas. You would see major water run-off into the top of the actual seating areas during rain storms.

vCash

About attendance, though, we've seen these dips before. We're not actually even at the worst in history. Late 80s they barely cracked 30K, before a temporary bump in 90-91, then dropped again going to about 29K in 92, 30K in 93, 29K again in 94, 31K in 95, 29K in 96, then they got serious about improving the team and dropped prices which led to increases for most of the next decade topping out around 40K from 2003-2005. In that era I remember a lot of cheap introductory season ticket prices for new season ticket holders. I remember a lot of Friday games. I remember the College Corner promotion really driving the Friday night games into being a place to be for people in their 20s. Finally, the economy rebounding in the late 90s early 2000s also helped.

Since then the team really hasn't done much other than increase prices, degenerate the game day experience, make it harder for the 20-somethings to have fun at a game and bombard us with advertisements. Couple this with disorder behind the scenes and generally poor team results leading to gradual decrease. Last year was the fifth lowest in Commonwealth history, not the worst. Granted the competition for dollars is more now, but the population is much bigger as well. I believe they can have a bit of a resurgence if they go about it the right way. It starts with the quality of the team coupled with a better game day experience. Though I hate Rhodes, I can admit some of the attempted promotions last year were a good start, but there needs to be much more and the ultimate answer does not lie with half time shows.
    thanks for the info Bone, I hadn't realized that. As far as the game day experience, I agree that it needs a revamp, I went to a Lions game this year and found that the atmosphere was much better and it was all due to the music they played and I'm pretty sure they were pumping in crowd noise but I may be wrong on that as I haven't seen a whole bunch of indoor games.

vCash

I like that idea. I think it would be easier to move ST holders in upper seats to the lower part of the upper deck versus displacing them altogether. It would also allow for maximum # seats in the centre of the field. I think the only logistical issue might be in the "tarping off" of those areas. You would see major water run-off into the top of the actual seating areas during rain storms.
    Possibly, but I believe the current tarps are porous, so I imagine there is a solution that wouldn't cause troubles for people in seats.

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jtuck09 View Post
    Not really at all actually.

I've known a few people who've been let go from jobs because of what they've said on social media.

This is no different.
    What I found interesting was the thread that was attached to. The one that was dismissed here , but now is seemingly prophetic

- - - Updated - - -

Did he say anything about the opposite of winning? Cos that's what he has now
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Possibly, but I believe the current tarps are porous, so I imagine there is a solution that wouldn't cause troubles for people in seats.
    Cool. It would be nice to see tarps with a huge "Edmonton" on one side and "Eskimos" on the other stretching the length of the upper decks. It would probably look a lot better in aerial shots as well.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    What I found interesting was the thread that was attached to. The one that was dismissed here , but now is seemingly prophetic

- - - Updated - - -

Did he say anything about the opposite of winning? Cos that's what he has now
    We've gone from having a lousy game day experience where ads are shoved down your throat (on that point I will agree with Q) but winning games to get that taste out of your mouth to not winning games and having a lousy game day experience. Either way fish rots from the head down so we need to cut the head off
    In Rod we trust

vCash

NO disrespect intended but it's a little different watching at home with my own beer, my own food, being out of the elements and getting all the close up replays I want vs paying $50+ for a ticket to be in the stands having to buy $9 beers, $7 burgers, $4 waters and getting Christenson Developments commercials rammed down my throat over and over again instead of being able to see replays of a close play. When I pay to go to a game I like to know that the team is trying to win every game they can for me as a paying customer and trying to give me the best possible entertainment value for my money vs trying to squeeze another dollar from me every chance they get which is the case now. You don't get to see that sitting at home watching the game in HD.

vCash

NO disrespect intended but it's a little different watching at home with my own beer, my own food, being out of the elements and getting all the close up replays I want vs paying $50+ for a ticket to be in the stands having to buy $9 beers, $7 burgers, $4 waters and getting Christenson Developments commercials rammed down my throat over and over again instead of being able to see replays of a close play. When I pay to go to a game I like to know that the team is trying to win every game they can for me as a paying customer and trying to give me the best possible entertainment value for my money vs trying to squeeze another dollar from me every chance they get which is the case now. You don't get to see that sitting at home watching the game in HD.
    the guy who doesn't have good enough credit to buy a truck (the truck loans commercial not me) would disagree with you. TSN paid big dollars to have the TV rights and I'm sure they are commanding big dollars for commercials just like that.

For what its worth, I agree that the game day experience needs a revamp but AD's are a necessary evil in today's sporting landscape, now the amount of them is up for debate, for sure, as it looks like they are going way overboard but I havent poured through the financials so I can't say for certain.

Along that line, when someone says the game is at Rogers arena I never seem to know where it is as they seemed to have naming rights to a bunch of stadiums

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by icezilla View Post
    I know this doesn't fit with the narrative around here, but that's a pretty standard business practice in 2019
    It is possible that the instruction was to monitor social media for negativity towards a number of relevant aspects - Team, Ticketing, Merchandising, Coaching, Game Day Experience, as well as himself and Sunderland. I would agree that this is prudent, and particularly when there is misinformation that gets repeated so often that it influences others (ie. 'They don't want to win' or 'the spending on half-time shows takes away from what they spend on players').

With that said, if the request was accurately conveyed, and it seems like it was directed more to monitor personal reputation, while relevant within a larger picture, it does bring up some organizational memories of a departed GM that seemed to get obsessive about what people were saying about him rather than the team/organization.

I would suggest that it's open to interpretation as to intent and what the actual instructions were, as they're obviously being reported third-hand, but I agree with the initial post on the topic that it is interesting. Is it paranoia if they're really out to get you?

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    We've gone from having a lousy game day experience where ads are shoved down your throat (on that point I will agree with Q) but winning games to get that taste out of your mouth to not winning games and having a lousy game day experience. Either way fish rots from the head down so we need to cut the head off
    I don't disagree with changes at the top - I am in favour of that, though for perhaps other reasons than some.

Costs continue to rise for clubs, and while I get that advertising can be annoying, especially when it feels shoved down your throat, I've never been able to wrap my head around the disdain for sponsors. I remember how annoying a certain Alarm Force ad that would play everyone half hour on the Ched morning show 10 years ago was... so I get it in that sense, but sponsors stepping up for the Eskimos, a product that I support, is something I applaud, not discourage. I am more likely to boycott a bar that won't put the CFL game on (with sound) than because they sponsor CFL/Esks.

Ultimately, I agree that winning is the most important thing in pro sports, but I also agree that it is not enough. Take a year off from going to Monday Morning Magic, and we see that community involvement matters. Shut down locker room access to reporters, and again - to some (not just Terry Jones), it matters. For me, it was having maintained season tickets for 26 consecutive years (and running... despite not living in Edm for the past 10) and not getting an invitation from the Esks organization to a celebration that they used to run annually for 25 year anniversaries. We have historically taken pride in terms like "The Eskimo Way" and "Flagship Franchise"... things that pointed to the importance of winning AND how you act.

My biggest frustration is that there was the talk about winning not being enough, very understandably open to interpretation as a reason for moving on from Ed Hervey, but I find that the Eskimo organization has continued to disappoint me on the areas that should have been handled under the "not enough" side of things. If they had genuinely improved on those, I'd still be upset by the backslide on the football ops results, but right now, it feels like, under current leadership, the organization itself has backslid too.

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

It boils down to this:

Rhodent is simply not believable. When he says something, you simply cannot take it at face value

When guys like Kimball, Campbell, Hervey, Lancsater, etc etc etc, said something, you believed them. You may not have always liked what they said but you believed them.

When you can't trust the guy at the rudder, you can't trust you will get to your desired destination.

When the captain of the ship would rather schmooze at the captains dinner than keeping the boat off the rocks, you have big problems.

Rhodent has zero credibility with me and many.

During GC week he actually tried to take credit for coming to the rescue over an incident that was reported in the paper a while back over someone defacing former Esks Craig Ellis' garage, when in fact the people behind the neighborly effort to clean the defacing off his garage (Elly was in the US at the time) was the ownership group of Northern Chicken, who's biz was nearby.

When I heard that on NYE, I was beyond disgusted, knowing both CE and the person at Northern Chicken who made it happen
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

the guy who doesn't have good enough credit to buy a truck (the truck loans commercial not me) would disagree with you. TSN paid big dollars to have the TV rights and I'm sure they are commanding big dollars for commercials just like that.
    No kidding. I remember a few years ago being sick of a Baconator even though I had never had a Baconator.

I'm been to games in other stadiums. The game day experience at Commonwealth is pretty much what you'll find elsewhere. Quite honestly, all the advertising usually I tune out. But if you are so focused on being annoyed with it, I guess it would consume you and be quite distracting.

vCash

It boils down to this:

Rhodent is simply not believable. When he says something, you simply cannot take it at face value

When guys like Kimball, Campbell, Hervey, Lancsater, etc etc etc, said something, you believed them. You may not have always liked what they said but you believed them.

When you can't trust the guy at the rudder, you can't trust you will get to your desired destination.

When the captain of the ship would rather schmooze at the captains dinner than keeping the boat off the rocks, you have big problems.

During GC week he actually tried to take credit for coming to the rescue over an incident that was reported in the paper a while back over someone defacing former Esks Craig Ellis' garage, when in fact the people behind the neighborly effort to clean the defacing off his garage (Elly was in the US at the time) was the ownership group of Northern Chicken, who's biz was nearby.

When I heard that on NYE, I was beyond disgusted, knowing both CE and the person at Northern Chicken who made it happen
    And that's the problem. I understand all the recent moves in light of the fracture between Rhodes and Hervey and his supporters, but the reality is that I trusted Hervey's group more to be custodians of the Eskimo way.

For all I know, five years from now we may be the model franchise with Rhodes at the helm, but I'm much more skeptical of that coming to light than I would have been with Wad and Hervey leading this group.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post
    No kidding. I remember a few years ago being sick of a Baconator even though I had never had a Baconator.
    I would try to have a Baconator once a year to support Wendy's (for supporting the CFL). One a year was enough of that greasy thing.

vCash

For what its worth, I agree that the game day experience needs a revamp but AD's are a necessary evil in today's sporting landscape, now the amount of them is up for debate, for sure, as it looks like they are going way overboard but I havent poured through the financials so I can't say for certain.

Along that line, when someone says the game is at Rogers arena I never seem to know where it is as they seemed to have naming rights to a bunch of stadiums
    Hey!! It was an awesome truck!

vCash

They could probably tarp off the upper deck corner sections and top 10-15 rows or so to give intimacy. At some point it could be the CW management that forces the issue although CW is much different than BC Place what with all concessions on the same level. I talked to a lady during BC's training camp a few years ago. It was right after the Lions closed off the upper bowl. When I talked to her she was working for Rocky Mountaineer but had been working with Pavco and BC Place previously. She told me it was actually the stadium that requested the Lions to close the upper bowl. I'm guessing the reasoning was cost/benefit as BCP still had to provide all necessary security, concessions, washrooms, cleanup and other services for what was becoming a fairly small group of attendees. The Lions weren't close to filling the lower bowl as it was so they ceded to the request. At some point that season I asked my ticket rep about the move while I was talking to him about relocating my own seat. He told me that when they closed the upper bowl they only had to displace 150 ST holders many of whom would definitely consider those first few rows of the upper bowl the best seats in the stadium. CW and EE could possibly take out a seat map to see where the ST holders sit and easily figure out where the best opportunities are to tarp things off with minimal impact to their ST holders.

vCash

It boils down to this:

Hervey, specifically, at times seems like a guy that can't win.

He gets cast as standoffish and distrustful... and I can understand that from my dealings with him, not being anywhere near his inner circle. When he does speak truth... which I believe to be whenever he opens his mouth publicly... there are many that can't handle the bluntness/directness of his truth. He says what he perceives to be true with Jonathon Jennings and gets criticized for picking a fight or managing a player through the press. He points out that he believes that there was some pettiness on both sides of the Torey Hunter thing, and people can't believe that he'd be defending his guy. For as long as he's been up in Canada, let's just say that he's going to be perceived as having more of a chip on his shoulder than someone like Jim Popp or Kyle Walters.

Lancaster was a guy that could be firey and lay down boundaries when needed (so I've heard), but he, like some of the others, had a way of speaking truth that was more "folksy" or less controversial. It didn't have the edge of "I don't give a damn", and while there is something incredibly refreshing about being direct and cutting through the political correctness and spin, it is also likely to continue to distract from the message at times.

The point is taken though... and I agree that the credibility has been damaged, likely beyond repair, for a wide swath of the fan base. I have seen no credibly effective damage control from the club or the man.

vCash

The Esks average MORE than what those stadiums can hold AND they have higher ticket prices.
    Having looked at most CFL teams' pricing to compare with my Lions seats I would say the Esks have the LOWEST ticket prices in the league. Looking at the stadium map it appears that nearly 1/3 of CW seats would be in the Bronze group. There might only be 1/3 of the total capacity in the higher range Gold, Platinum and Super Platinum and those are priced inexpensively compared to similar seats in all other markets. My Lions seat is on the 45 which would be in Super Platinum at CW. Cost is $760 for 10 games vs $723 at CW for 11 games. That $760 is also cheaper for a similar location in just about all other CFL markets.