Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chris Jones is gone!!!!

vCash

Re: Chris Jones is gone!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    https://youtu.be/I-6RMLiap0w

Check this out from Marsh and Melo (Marshall Ferguson). One of my favorite things I've seen on Twitter in a long time!

I love the line, "When a guy wears the same shirt every day, he likely didn't pack for the long-term.".
    I caught an audio clip from Dunk on Sportsnet last night where he mentioned Jones leaving not being a surprise because (paraphrasing) "he was never comfortable in the under the microscope atmosphere that comes with working for the Riders in Regina". I wonder where I heard that sort of thing before?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    He was already under contract for 2019. He just received an extension to cover 2020. What I don't know when it comes to that sort of thing is do they rip up the old deal and draft a new 2 year deal or do they just draft up a separate deal to cover 2020 and kick in the day the 2019 deal expires? The twitter comment sounds like sour grapes by a Rider fan or someone who carries a grudge against Jones. As a guy who was VP Football Ops as well as GM, HC and DC it's hard to imagine Jones didn't have some form of out clause written into his original deal and any subsequent extensions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    I caught an audio clip from Dunk on Sportsnet last night where he mentioned Jones leaving not being a surprise because (paraphrasing) "he was never comfortable in the under the microscope atmosphere that comes with working for the Riders in Regina". I wonder where I heard that sort of thing before?
    By convention, I'm betting that there isn't a CFL team that would want to stand in a coach's way if an opportunity came up to move to the NFL or a major NCAA role, whether there is an out-clause or not. Presumably, the formal inclusion of that clause, would have been a recognition that it was more likely and to ensure that there was no misunderstanding if it came about, and also to potentially lay out the parameters around the timing, and at what point would the 'out' close for the season, as you can't have your HC leaving in July to take another job. Thinking back more than a few years now, the Esks didn't stand in the way of Rick Campbell leaving as their ST coordinator to become Calgary's DC (and I believe Asst HC). It's obviously quite counter to how the league and clubs handle player contracts.

There will be no shortage of snark on Twitter at the best of times, but the way I felt it was described best in the 30/30 spoof was as "a heel turn". I'd be lying if I didn't feel a little personal satisfaction on him doing this to a team that was involved in luring him to do this to us a few years back. I still shake my head when I read some of the stories today that refer to him reaching an agreement with the Riders organization after winning the Grey Cup with Edmonton in 2015.

It's long been rumoured that he and his staff have liked the back-to-back road trips, staying out of town in between, as a chance to get away from the scrutiny. I don't suppose that there isn't a little fire behind that smoke.

vCash

Brilliant clip!

My personal fave was re-sign vs resign (normally on here that missing hyphen bugs me), but Jarvis Landry converting to DB was a close second ��

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Macavity View Post
    Took a job with the Browns

Riders down a GM, HC and DC. Forget looking attractive to FAs!

And all the fans seem to think LaPo is an option for HC.

Best option for them is Trestman, clearly, but man... Jones ain't exactly class.
    Are any of the current staff under contract? If so then are they in a position to make an external hire for HC on the offensive side of the ball? Who else on staff would they choose to be their DC? I'm thinking it more likely that they promote one of their coordinators to HC while maintaining their current role and hiring a DC or hiring someone from outside to be both their HC and DC. Not sure who is out there that has those credentials. Suddenly I'm not feeling so bad in regards to our ability to attract free agents.
    ôRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    Are any of the current staff under contract? If so then are they in a position to make an external hire for HC on the offensive side of the ball? Who else on staff would they choose to be their DC? I'm thinking it more likely that they promote one of their coordinators to HC while maintaining their current role and hiring a DC or hiring someone from outside to be both their HC and DC. Not sure who is out there that has those credentials. Suddenly I'm not feeling so bad in regards to our ability to attract free agents.
    Benevides name has been tossed around
    #PizStrong

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Yes please!!!
    Sorry everyone for not contributing anything to this board... My bad?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    Yes please!!!
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    Yes please!!!
    Zone!
    In Rod we trust

vCash
    Blog Entries

No disrespect to Bene but I don't see any team giving him a HCing position based on past performance. Heck I don't even think Richie Hall would be an option for them and his defense probably had better numbers than the Esks last year. Perhaps Bene gets the DC position as I can't think of anyone else out there but I think it more likely they promote from within for the HCing spot with either Dickensen (which would be my personal choice) or Macadoo making the most sense. The talk of Lolley getting lured over there to be the head man would really surprise me as I don't believe he has any HCing experience at a high level of football (sure hope I'm right about that as I would hate to lose him). I also don't believe they would have room for a Trestman or LaPolice whose expertise is on the offensive side since they already have that in Macadoo. They certainly are in a pickle as far as I'm concerned which I am perfectly good with.
    Last edited by adb; 01-17-2019 at 10:55 AM.

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

No disrespect to Bene but I don't see any team giving him a HCing position based on past performance. Heck I don't even think Richie Hall would be an option for them and his defense probably had better numbers than the Esks last year. Perhaps Bene gets the DC position as I can't think of anyone else out there but I think it more likely they promote from within for the HCing spot with either Dickensen (which would be my personal choice) or Macadoo making the most sense. The talk of Lolley getting lured over there to be the head man would really surprise me as I don't believe he has any HCing experience at a high level of football (sure hope I'm right about that as I would hate to lose him). I also don't believe they would have room for a Trestman or LaPolice whose expertise is on the offensive side since they already have that in Macadoo. They certainly are in a pickle as far as I'm concerned which I am perfectly good with.
    Glanville would be able to fill both roles as well
    #PizStrong

vCash
    Blog Entries

Glanville would be able to fill both roles as well
    Didn't include him because I thought I had heard that he had personal issues which is why he left the Cats but maybe that's not true. If that is the case and there are no issues with his age in terms of handling both jobs then he would definitely be an option if he was agreeable. I don't think he would accept just the DC position but maybe I'd be wrong about that. Any rumblings out there on what the real reasons were for him not coming back to Hamilton?
    Last edited by adb; 01-17-2019 at 11:23 AM.

vCash

Didn’t Richie Hall change his D schemes last year?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    Didn’t Richie Hall change his D schemes last year?
    There were definitely some differences... or perhaps Adam Bighill made it look like things had changed? He had a huge impact on how that D rolled.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Didn't include him because I thought I had heard that he had personal issues which is why he left the Cats but maybe that's not true. If that is the case and there are no issues with his age in terms of handling both jobs then he would definitely be an option if he was agreeable. I don't think he would accept just the DC position but maybe I'd be wrong about that. Any rumblings out there on what the real reasons were for him not coming back to Hamilton?
    Don't know why he left but I know he's interested in the job,

https://leaderpost.com/sports/footba...joining-riders
    #PizStrong

vCash
    Blog Entries

Well then if I'm the Riders I seriously consider Glanville (maybe Jones left him some of his black attire lying around...might even be about the same size) or Thorpe in the dual role but hopefully they go after Bene
    Last edited by adb; 01-17-2019 at 01:33 PM.

vCash

I think Bene will get other chances in the CFL over time, but I agree that he's not likely the right fit here and now. We've seen good coordinators turn out not to be good head coaches, but when I see a guy like Bene, who'd had a shot as a HC under less-than-ideal circumstances (replacing Wally, when Wally was still around and, in hindsight, perhaps not ready to give it up), and after that still given assistant HC titles, it leads me to believe that there are some of the organizational and leadership traits in him (or at least perceived by others that he has them). Right place and time, I could see him getting a shot, whereas a guy like Stubler, has never really been mentioned for a HC job again, even though he's virtually universally respected for what he is very good at.

Parachuting Bene in as DC would be a weird fit within that system, but I guess it's a possibility - especially with the degree of free agency potentially creating some roster change everywhere.

The Lolley talk, imo, is more based on casting the net but also in looking for who has connections to the staff that is in place (kind of like Chamblin in Toronto). I could see him being considered as a HC and I can see him being considered as a DC, but to bring in a guy to both without having experience (and lets face it, how many times has anyone heard his name mentioned in HC conversations prior to this), is a stretch. Bring him in as HC, and they still have the issue of having to have someone as DC (is Shivers ready?). Bring him in as a DC, and you're trying to get permission to have him make a lateral move - and I don't see that happening.

Glanville makes some sense as at least a 1-year trial basis, and he is likely experienced enough to perform a dual role and has been open about his interest... heck, he's downright campaigning for it.

Trestman was somewhat of an interesting name, as it's hard to find more of a polar opposite coach to Jones by reputation... offence vs defence... clean living vs work-hard-play-hard... but the one commonality is that they both demand all-in from their people and can get a lot of loyalty from them. Given what Trestman was reportedly making in Toronto, and understanding that he's had some circumstances outside of football to deal with, I'd say it's a real long shot.

One name from the past that I haven't heard is George Cortez. Not even sure what he's doing now, but he is borderline in the same situation as Stubler - is he a HC or not. He would also necessitate promoting a DC from within.

I would agree that Dickie is likely the internal candidate that makes the most sense for them, if they go that route, and finding a DC that could work with the existing staff might be the most logical way to go.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    I think Bene will get other chances in the CFL over time, but I agree that he's not likely the right fit here and now. We've seen good coordinators turn out not to be good head coaches, but when I see a guy like Bene, who'd had a shot as a HC under less-than-ideal circumstances (replacing Wally, when Wally was still around and, in hindsight, perhaps not ready to give it up), and after that still given assistant HC titles, it leads me to believe that there are some of the organizational and leadership traits in him (or at least perceived by others that he has them). Right place and time, I could see him getting a shot, whereas a guy like Stubler, has never really been mentioned for a HC job again, even though he's virtually universally respected for what he is very good at.

Parachuting Bene in as DC would be a weird fit within that system, but I guess it's a possibility - especially with the degree of free agency potentially creating some roster change everywhere.

The Lolley talk, imo, is more based on casting the net but also in looking for who has connections to the staff that is in place (kind of like Chamblin in Toronto). I could see him being considered as a HC and I can see him being considered as a DC, but to bring in a guy to both without having experience (and lets face it, how many times has anyone heard his name mentioned in HC conversations prior to this), is a stretch. Bring him in as HC, and they still have the issue of having to have someone as DC (is Shivers ready?). Bring him in as a DC, and you're trying to get permission to have him make a lateral move - and I don't see that happening.

Glanville makes some sense as at least a 1-year trial basis, and he is likely experienced enough to perform a dual role and has been open about his interest... heck, he's downright campaigning for it.

Trestman was somewhat of an interesting name, as it's hard to find more of a polar opposite coach to Jones by reputation... offence vs defence... clean living vs work-hard-play-hard... but the one commonality is that they both demand all-in from their people and can get a lot of loyalty from them. Given what Trestman was reportedly making in Toronto, and understanding that he's had some circumstances outside of football to deal with, I'd say it's a real long shot.

One name from the past that I haven't heard is George Cortez. Not even sure what he's doing now, but he is borderline in the same situation as Stubler - is he a HC or not. He would also necessitate promoting a DC from within.

I would agree that Dickie is likely the internal candidate that makes the most sense for them, if they go that route, and finding a DC that could work with the existing staff might be the most logical way to go.
    What do you think of a guy like Thorpe? Lots of experience who seems to have a similar defensive style to Jones and someone who has been campaigning for a HC spot for some time now. The offensive minds being bandied about such as Trestman, LaPo and so on don't make any sense to me with the salary cap being an issue unless you really think that Shivers is ready to be DC. If you don't believe he's ready then you would need to fit a Trestman or LaPo along with someone like a Benevides and I'm not sure they would be able to salary wise unless they could get them for cheap.
    Last edited by adb; 01-17-2019 at 02:34 PM.

vCash

"No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

What do you think of a guy like Thorpe? Lots of experience who seems to have a similar defensive style to Jones and someone who has been campaigning for a HC spot for some time now. The offensive minds being bandied about such as Trestman, LaPo and so on don't make any sense to me with the salary cap being an issue unless you really think that Shivers is ready to be DC.
    I think Thorpe would be a name that makes a lot of sense. He's a guy that is generally mentioned as one of the current coordinators that is most likely to make the jump to DC, and he likely fits in both the budget and the skill-set if you can attract his interest. Very interesting name!

vCash

Riders will name their GM before a HC or DC. Like building something , you start with the foundation. What is interesting is that the coaching limit is set at 11 & they are at 10 now.
    So the new HC quite possibly will have a dual role or there will be some juggling of coaches done. Shivers is the only coach on the D side with a lot of CFL experience . Scheper has O & D line experience in the CFL and quite likely will take on added responsibility. Makes sense to promote from within and bring in a D coach whether he will be the DC or possibly let Shivers take that role.

vCash

Glanville politely declined comment when asked why he left Hamilton after one season.

vCash

I threw up in my mouth a little
    #PizStrong