Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rhodes not to seek another term

Inquiring Mind is offline We're looking for dick to floor. Let's call that D2F

2009 & 2014 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Re: Rhodes not to seek another term

Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

vCash

Gregor is pumping Wad's tires right now on his show. His choice for the new Prez.

Inquiring Mind is offline We're looking for dick to floor. Let's call that D2F

2009 & 2014 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Section N View Post
    Gregor is pumping Wad's tires right now on his show. His choice for the new Prez.
    It would take something like that before they ever saw my money again. God, what a s*** show this franchise has became
    Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    Rhodes worked for Reebok. Based on how he talked early on, I don't even know if he watched a football game before. He wasn't qualified to be the Esks pres yet he has been it since 2011.
    I'm a fan of Wad, I'd be happy if he was hired, my point is I want this president to be a home-run, and for that to happen, the criteria has to be more than just ex-Esk. If a guy checks all the important boxes AND happens to be and former Eskimo, that's great.

Sounds like Sean is that guy.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    I've heard that he is but I don't know what kind of business hes in and whether hes successful at it or not and if his skills would transfer over to being a president of a football team.

He may be perfectly qualified for the job, I just don't have enough info in this situation.
    Senior VP for Price Waterhouse
    https://www.pwc.com/ca/en/contacts/s/sean-fleming.html
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Sean has more than a decade of experience advising local and national stakeholders of financially troubled companies.

Sounds like the perfect hire to me.

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Would you say it has to be Eskimo man so to speak? Maybe wad maybe someone else.. I am spitballing

Rebuild the brand
    Fans will return
    Diehards will be happy
    It doesn't have to be per se, but when you have someone in your backyard that checks all the boxes on the biz side and with a full understanding of how the football opps side needs to work, especially in this market, if you go elsewhere, the guy better be miles beyond. I care little about marketing in terms of the role. Marketing guys are as abundant as import RB's

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Section N View Post
    #Wad4Prez

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    I'd be happy with Wad but I have no idea how interested or qualified he is.
    I would say there is likely interest. Will some members of the BOD swallow their pride and admit failure in the previous hire? That is the question
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    I would say there is likely interest. Will some members of the BOD swallow their pride and admit failure in the previous hire? That is the question
    Only one board member was even present the last time a president was hired. Not a lot of pride to swallow when you can say it was virtually a completely different board that time.
    Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

Ah thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    Wad4Prez
    If it does end up being Wad I would be very comfortable with his evaluation of Brock, whatever that ended up being.

vCash

I think in this era if a club had to choose between somebody with only a business/marketing background or only a football background the former would be the better option. Somebody with a mix of the two would be ideal for sure but such candidates are quite rare. Fleming for sure has that rare combination and would be that ideal hire.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    Only one board member was even present the last time a president was hired. Not a lot of pride to swallow when you can say it was virtually a completely different board that time.
    That's how you would expect these boards to roll.

Good riddance to Rhodes. I think I will pick up one of the two tickets I dropped for this year.

vCash

We'll probably hire Jefferey Orrige.

vCash

Will WAD even want the gig??? Likely pays less than what he is making now.
    Is it game day yet?????

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Don’t even!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    Sean isn't likely the same candidate as he was then too. Have to think that over the past 8 years, he's continued to develop experience and skills. Perhaps more ready this time around from a Board perspective.

The type of business experience he's had would absolutely be useful, but in some cases, not directly related to the role of President and CEO of the EEFC. His worth with restructuring, refinancing and business planning is great, but he'll have to be able to apply that as well as managing a variety of people and roles within the organization, setting and maintaining culture - one of the most challenging things to actually do, and continuing to find revenue streams and sponsorship in an age of declining attendance.

I'm not arguing against him - but I am conscious that business experience, just like football experience, is not a single skill set. I would want him vetted, just like any other candidate, to hear his vision and his plan for how he's going to implement it.

Definitely has to be considered for the role if interested.

From a football ops side of things, I don't want a CEO/President that is not going to empower his people or that thinks that his own football experience allows him to know better than they. If we were to have brought in a person to try and oversee Ed on the football ops side of things, I don't think it would have worked. You obviously, have to have someone capable of evaluation, and being able to hear out a plan and see if it makes sense, but I don't want a meddler - particularly if it isn't someone like a Hugh Campbell that had the GM experience to credibly lend advice or input.

vCash

#RodBlack4President!
    In Rod we trust

vCash

I think the one thing that sunk Wad the first time around was being truthful in his opinion to the BoD regarding the Pervie hire. Never mind that he was 100% correct.

The BoD last time chose a marketing guy with some biz acumen in hockey and ketchup. Marketing guys are a dime a dozen. From day 1 Rhodent was not seen as legitimate by some, and grew into that observation to finally be seen by all.

In terms of Wad as Prez, I think there aren't many looking for a savior, but who are looking to believe that the person in charge has the best interests of the team at heart, because he understands it's importance, it's history, and what it should mean to it's customers and the city. SF doesn't need this gig, already has a level of fame, and in all likelihood might be taking a step back in terms of the professional arch he's on. But if he took the job, I think many would believe in his abilities. And I think many would trust that he wouldn't make an epic clusterf*ck of things that the BoD has brought to us too many times in the far too recent past to present.

I think he's smart enough to understand what he lacks, but he has immediate cred that many are still stinging from losing in the way this org treated it's previous GM
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

In his line of work, he'll have seen that good intentions, goodwill and having the best interests at heart are not always enough. There needs to be the capabilities to be what the role demands of you, to lead people different from you, and to make some tough decisions.

That said, I agree with what you're saying Dies - there are times when situations call for different things. This may well be a case where there is more importance on credibility and character from a fanbase perspective than direct experience in running a large organization.

You've moved the dial a little more for me on the idea, and I was already in favour of strong consideration.

Will be interesting to see whether there is a quicker hire or an exhaustive approach.

vCash

I would wager a guess that his biz acumen, in dealing with insolvencies and takeovers, jilted shareholders and creditors, requires a rather deft hand in working out solutions to complicated problems, where all parties involved are usually not rowing in the same direction. For the marketing end of things in areas that he lacks, you can hire those people.

IMO, he'd be the guy I'd trust most to steer this ship off the course it's headed for, which is the rocks. There is a lot of mistrust and venom out there right now for senior management. They can't afford another **** up
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Very glad that Rhodes is gone, though I wish it had happened two years ago! Not that it was ever going to happen then, but I wish it had...

vCash

Pleasant surprise sure helps alleviate the February blahs.

First a promising “new” Defensive coach, and now a new Prez.

Things looking up in Eskieville.

Let’s hope that the new Prez is deep with football smarts.

vCash

I never had an issue with Rhodes as a person but he made some big errors that you just can't have.

The #1 one and hopefully the next guy will not make is that you have to be blunt and truthful to the fans about why you are making the decisions you are making. If it means rubbing the fans or other people the wrong way so be it.

His answers for why he fired Tillman 'No particular reason' and his waltzing around the real reasons Hervey was fired just meant that you could no longer trust his words.

Don't bull **** me is my #1 rule. Your decision i may not like and may not agree with but tell me like it is. He failed to do that on many occasions.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Just like every other Esks firing/removal...a day late and a dollar short.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

If nothing else,

- Rhodes; and
    + Flemming

Will probably help lure back some season ticket holders who cancelled recently.

vCash

Good riddance.
    " To alcohol, the cause of and solution to all life's problems"

-Homer Simpson

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    You shut your DIRTY MOUTH MISTER!!!!!
    Just a quick shout out to Mr."Winning isn't everything" for pis*ing away not one but TWO HoF QB's. F*ck you Len and good riddance.

vCash

Yes to far beer fish.. to far!

vCash
    Blog Entries

I'll apply again but if I get it I hope the admins here can delete my posts!!!
    Just a quick shout out to Mr."Winning isn't everything" for pis*ing away not one but TWO HoF QB's. F*ck you Len and good riddance.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    I'll apply again but if I get it I hope the admins here can delete my posts!!!
    Our rates are very reasonable....
    Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

Sean Fleming is 48 years old. Hiring him could bring 20 years of stability to the organization. I think this needs to happen.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi