Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rhodes not to seek another term

vCash

Re: Rhodes not to seek another term

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    I'm holding off celebrating till I see who they replace him with. This is a good start but will the BOG make a second smart move in a row? I'm not holding my breath
    Where do I apply?
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

If Sean Fleming is interested, Sean Fleming should get the job. Period. Let's restore the roots of this culture back to football and build everything around that.

vCash

I'm holding off celebrating till I see who they replace him with. This is a good start but will the BOG make a second smart move in a row? I'm not holding my breath
    I don't think you can get much worse than Rhodes. All the guy has to do is not tell the fan base that winning isn't important and he will be already better than Rhodes.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    Where do I apply?
    Couldn't do any worse that what we've had. Just a heads up though, there may be Ketchup related questions in the interview, so bone up on that.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    Should have happened as soon as the Grey Cup was over with. I think it would have had an impact on Reilly.
    If his departure truly was a mutual agreement to cut ties a year early then the timing totally makes sense. If there was a signature part of Rhodes' tenure it would have been working to get the 2018 Grey Cup awarded to Edmonton, something that happened after he was extended in 2015, and overseeing what was a very successful event. For a team President the Grey Cup doesn't end at the final whistle. It ends when the number crunching and post mortem have been completed which likely was quite recently. As such right about now would be the best time for Rhodes to go be it on his initiative, the club's or mutual. The Grey Cup has been put to bed, the 2018 fiscal year has ended and there is plenty of time for the BOD to do their thing to get a new President in place and up to speed before the AGM in early May.

vCash

Well I am glad this is finally over and done with. His decision to fire Swerve is something that set this franchise back...especially with the scouting he took with him to BC. I don't think any of it has much to do with Reilly....Reilly wants to be closer to his family which with two young kids I can't really be too hard on him for.

Moving forward...we really need to get this franchise back on the correct path and this decision is huge. I really hope we get Fleming but whoever it is....needs to improve both product and game day presentation.
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on

vCash

Couldn't do any worse that what we've had.
    I think people said that when Danny Maciocia got fired as GM
    It could always be worse
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    I don't think you can get much worse than Rhodes. All the guy has to do is not tell the fan base that winning isn't important and he will be already better than Rhodes.
    On this assumption, I say send DDS an application.
    WALTER IS MY HERO!!

vCash

I am painfully listen to Len Rhodes diplomatically talk about how he feels he left the franchise in a better state than when he first came in...he sure skirted around all the negatives.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    I am painfully listen to Len Rhodes diplomatically talk about how he feels he left the franchise in a better state than when he first came in...he sure skirted around all the negatives.

Listening to it as well. Just a spin-master...

Jumping in the lifeboat as the ship is sinking.

vCash

I think people said that when Danny Maciocia got fired as GM
    It could always be worse
    Kinda like my golf game. As bad as my round might be I know I've had a worse round in the past and some day in the future will have an even worse round than I'm playing that day...………..then I crack a beer to make it all better.

vCash

I had no idea that the Eskimos had hired a firm to find them their president when they found Len....that's ridiculous on so many levels.

vCash

This may seem like a crazy idea, but is it too late to hire Ed as President and GM? Considering it would be a promotion is he allowed to leave BC for a situation like this? could it be done in one day to stop Reilly from signing in BC?

He could then find his own marketing person to do whatever it was Len thought he did to sell tickets, etc (other than winning, that is)

i know this seems far fetched but this is the CFL, that had 8 teams, with 2 named the Riders, that once drafted a player that was dead, and let the Gliebermans own a team twice!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    I had no idea that the Eskimos had hired a firm to find them their president when they found Len....that's ridiculous on so many levels.
    IMO they went to use a firm to find a president because they had Rider Envy and wanted to boost the Esks as a brand - just it came at the expense of a football minded person as president which is/was/will be always more important.

vCash

Riiiiiightttt!! I am sure most pro teams want their season ticket base and over attendance to go down over the time a certain Pres is in charge.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Couldn't do any worse that what we've had.
    Oilers fans said we couldn't do worse than Lowe. Then we got Tambo.

Oilers fans said we couldn't do worse than Tambo. Then we got MacT.

Oilers fans said we couldn't do worse than MacT. Then we got Chia.

As an Edmonton sports fan, I've come to learn that we can ALWAYS do worse.

vCash

Nice daydream, matt
    Last edited by Fixer; 02-11-2019 at 12:52 PM.

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

The first order of biz for the board to understand is how seriously the level of trust has eroded with what's left of their paying fans, let alone the casual ones. If they hire someone that the fan base cannot believe in, they will continue to see an erosion of paying fans. They chose the path of maximizing and creating revenue streams, while missing the boat that many of those endeavors was hemorrhaging trust. When you no longer trust a brand, you are screwed. The BOD has done very little since Hugh left it up to them, to earn much trust at all.
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

Probably not... but one could hope.

vCash

i really think the new president should be a strong member of the alumni. Fleming would probably be all of our consensus number one picks, but even Blake Dermott or somebody else locally who bleeds green and gold, with a competitive spirit, and some common sense. The team makes enough money (or used to, anyway), that they could likely hire one or two marketing people to do whatever it is Len thinks he did, to assist the football person they bring in. That new president can get to know Brock and see how he does. The scouting staff Brock brought in seems to have a good resume so hopefully he can bring in some talent. So far, as we have noted here, he has yet to bring in a single good import, other than mediocre Ottawa re treads. Like I said above, why not hire Ed to be both, and poach him on the eve of Free agency like Saskatchewan poached our entire coaching staff on the eve of the grey cup with the same premise as Jones - getting a promotion...well President/Gm is definitely a promotion if we offer it to Ed right Fing now.

Quote Originally Posted by mattdunigan View Post
    i really think the new president should be a strong member of the alumni. Fleming would probably be all of our consensus number one picks, but even Blake Dermott or somebody else locally who bleeds green and gold, with a competitive spirit, and some common sense. The team makes enough money (or used to, anyway), that they could likely hire one or two marketing people to do whatever it is Len thinks he did, to assist the football person they bring in. That new president can get to know Brock and see how he does. The scouting staff Brock brought in seems to have a good resume so hopefully he can bring in some talent. So far, as we have noted here, he has yet to bring in a single good import, other than mediocre Ottawa re treads. Like I said above, why not hire Ed to be both, and poach him on the eve of Free agency like Saskatchewan poached our entire coaching staff on the eve of the grey cup with the same premise as Jones - getting a promotion...well President/Gm is definitely a promotion if we offer it to Ed right Fing now.
    Only the riders could get away with a move like that.

vCash

After the board allowed Len to do what he did to Ed, I wouldn't hold my breath on him ever coming back to Edmonton. Why would you?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    The first order of biz for the board to understand is how seriously the level of trust has eroded with what's left of their paying fans, let alone the casual ones. If they hire someone that the fan base cannot believe in, they will continue to see an erosion of paying fans. They chose the path of maximizing and creating revenue streams, while missing the boat that many of those endeavors was hemorrhaging trust. When you no longer trust a brand, you are screwed. The BOD has done very little since Hugh left it up to them, to earn much trust at all.
    Would you say it has to be Eskimo man so to speak? Maybe wad maybe someone else.. I am spitballing

Rebuild the brand
    Fans will return
    Diehards will be happy

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    I am spitballing
    So is Wad

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Would you say it has to be Eskimo man so to speak? Maybe wad maybe someone else.. I am spitballing

Rebuild the brand
    Fans will return
    Diehards will be happy
    I'd be happy with Wad but I have no idea how interested or qualified he is.

vCash

He’s qualified. Interested? Not so sure.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Prez View Post
    He'd be taking a pay cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Prez View Post
    I've heard that he is but I don't know what kind of business hes in and whether hes successful at it or not and if his skills would transfer over to being a president of a football team.

He may be perfectly qualified for the job, I just don't have enough info in this situation.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    I've heard that he is but I don't know what kind of business hes in and whether hes successful at it or not and if his skills would transfer over to being a president of a football team.

He may be perfectly qualified for the job, I just don't have enough info in this situation.
    Rhodes worked for Reebok. Based on how he talked early on, I don't even know if he watched a football game before. He wasn't qualified to be the Esks pres yet he has been it since 2011.

vCash

I'm so happy the grin on my face is starting to hurt YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ESKIMOS