Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Rhodes not to seek another term

vCash

Re: Rhodes not to seek another term

Quote Originally Posted by SandManFan View Post
    We should hire a marketing guru as our next club president. That should really help our revenue streams
    Would be nice if he had a firm grasp on the condiment industry
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by popo View Post
    https://d3ham790trbkqy.cloudfront.ne...ual-Report.pdf

Winnipeg report for comparison. I think the only other publically available one.
    Have to do a bit of analysis to make some numbers comparable. Overall they far outperform us in revenue - gates, sponsorship, concession.
    Tough to break out a direct comparison on some elements, as the Bombers' statements don't break things down the same way or in as much depth, but it certainly reads that they have more revenue streams (other events at the stadium, through a stadium management deal), more premium seat/suite revenues and likely more concessions/merchandising revenues as well. Football operations expenses seemed very similar, with the EEFC spending about $200k more. Bombers Administration, Marketing and Game-day expenses were about $650,000 higher on the season compared to the EEFC. Corporate sponsorship in Edmonton was $5.8 million, and in Winnipeg was $5.68 million (17% of $33.4 million), so pretty close to the same.

Not a stretch to think that the Riders are doing similar, if not better financially - due to new stadium and associated revenues, but also higher merchandising. Calgary likely has their head above water, but with lesser profits than the community owned teams. Past that, Hamilton and Ottawa are likely in decent shape, BC probably struggling but with potential, leaving Montreal and Toronto as the financial hot-spots - where at least Toronto is on reasonably solid ownership footing now.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Would be nice if he had a firm grasp on the condiment industry
    You're giving him the benefit of heinzite
    WALTER IS MY HERO!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pizmo View Post
    You're giving him the benefit of heinzite
    not one of your best shots Piz , but I do relish your posts

vCash

Tim Hortons. A Saturday morning in Ottawa.
    Just had a morning coffee.
    And a flash ... of shear brilliance, GENIUS.
    Eskimos still looking for a President I believe.
    But why?
    Appoint a CEO, call him/her that, and above him - a King!!!
    Yes - the Eskimos becomes a constitutional monarchy.
    Each year, one deserving fan, is crowned - King, or Queen, of the Edmonton Eskimos!!!
    Wow. Imagine it.
    Think if it. The novelty, the worldwide publicity, the marketing/ revenue potential. The happy fans.
    It’s absolute genius.
    Am I glad I gave up decaf....

Quote Originally Posted by Moon1 View Post
    Tim Hortons. A Saturday morning in Ottawa.
    Just had a morning coffee.
    And a flash ... of shear brilliance, GENIUS.
    Eskimos still looking for a President I believe.
    But why?
    Appoint a CEO, call him/her that, and above him - a King!!!
    Yes - the Eskimos becomes a constitutional monarchy.
    Each year, one deserving fan, is crowned - King, or Queen, of the Edmonton Eskimos!!!
    Wow. Imagine it.
    Think if it. The novelty, the worldwide publicity, the marketing/ revenue potential. The happy fans.
    It’s absolute genius.
    Am I glad I gave up decaf....
    I'd sign up to be King of the Eskimos for a year lol.

vCash

For what it's worth, a very adamant poster on another forum presented an out-of-leftfield candidate to be the Esks' new team President & CEO. Edmonton native Victor Cui who currently owns the very successful (in Asia) ONE Championship MME organization is interested in the job and will apparently be in Edmonton for the game on Friday.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GREYx14 View Post
    For what it's worth, a very adamant poster on another forum presented an out-of-leftfield candidate to be the Esks' new team President & CEO. Edmonton native Victor Cui who currently owns the very successful (in Asia) ONE Championship MME organization is interested in the job and will apparently be in Edmonton for the game on Friday.
    So mixed martial arts halftime shows?
    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    So mixed martial arts halftime shows?
    Potentially more entertaining than the parade of geriatric rappers we've had lately.

vCash

With the attraction of MMA, UFC, etc. that would not be a bad idea for half-time shows. That could potentially bring out some new fans.

Quote Originally Posted by GREYx14 View Post
    Bruce Leeroy approves.

vCash

id say im very tapped into the MMA world... and let me tell you...its a very ruthless and volatile place (he coming from fight promotion where lies and whatnot are their game)...dont think that'd be a fit for the city of champions

although to be fair, i dont know a ton about this guy specifically, just that the fight game is well...yeah

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Maas_12 View Post
    id say im very tapped into the MMA world... and let me tell you...its a very ruthless and volatile place (he coming from fight promotion where lies and whatnot are their game)...dont think that'd be a fit for the city of champions

although to be fair, i dont know a ton about this guy specifically, just that the fight game is well...yeah
    ugh. Are "we" indeed looking at candidates with zero pro football experience.

vCash

I really would hope they learned their lesson with Rhodes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eskie54 View Post
    I really would hope they learned their lesson with Rhodes.
    Depends on what the lesson was though.

Was it that he was an outsider to Edmonton?

Was it that he was an outsider to Canadian Football?

Was it that he was an outsider to Pro Football as a whole?

Was it that he never well enough understood the fan base wants different things than the business community at large (where he seemed more accepted)?

Was it that he didn't understand/believe in the importance of tradition to the fan base?

I think there are plenty of lessons to learn from the whole Rhodes tenure... some of them positive and many of them not, but I hope that one of the lessons is not that there is no way to have success with hiring someone from outside of football circles if they have experience, skills and a cultural fit for the organization.

vCash

If this is their guy, I still think this is different than Rhodes. Victor grew up in Edmonton and must have been a fan if he was cheering them along from Singapour during their last grey cup. I can't even remember where Rhodes was from, granted he embraced the city and appears to be sticking around, but it's different than a native Edmontonian.

He has experience in big events in Edmonton being part of Edmonton 2001 and worked with Lelacheur so likely got a little exposure to how the Esks were run at the time.

His greatest success recently has been with promoting an actual sport and has built a $1B dollar franchise as a result, he also was involved with ESPN and PGA at one point, whereas Rhodes struggled selling hockey equipment to canadians and sold ketchup.

My biggest concerns with someone like this is that I think his previous successes are already bigger than what he'd be looking to achieve with the Eskimos, and he's been gone for almost two decades so he may be a bit out of touch with the current environment in Edmonton. But that in itself may be a good thing as the Edmonton sports environment over the last 10-15 years has been pretty toxic.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    If this is their guy, I still think this is different than Rhodes. Victor grew up in Edmonton and must have been a fan if he was cheering them along from Singapour during their last grey cup. I can't even remember where Rhodes was from, granted he embraced the city and appears to be sticking around, but it's different than a native Edmontonian.

He has experience in big events in Edmonton being part of Edmonton 2001 and worked with Lelacheur so likely got a little exposure to how the Esks were run at the time.

His greatest success recently has been with promoting an actual sport and has built a $1B dollar franchise as a result, he also was involved with ESPN and PGA at one point, whereas Rhodes struggled selling hockey equipment to canadians and sold ketchup.
    My biggest concerns with someone like this is that I think his previous successes are already bigger than what he'd be looking to achieve with the Eskimos, and he's been gone for almost two decades so he may be a bit out of touch with the current environment in Edmonton. But that in itself may be a good thing as the Edmonton sports environment over the last 10-15 years has been pretty toxic.
    Agreed. My first question after I read about Cui and checked into the success & legitimacy of ONE Championship was asking why he wouldn't just buy the Eskimos instead of joining them as an employee.

vCash

They aren't for sale, maybe.

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    They aren't for sale, maybe.
    Katz has sniffed around more than once *shudders*
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    Katz has sniffed around more than once *shudders*
    Oh god, please no.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by diesel View Post
    katz has sniffed around more than once *shudders*
    oh hell no!!

vCash

How much are they worth?

How much would it cost to buy them?

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    How much are they worth?

How much would it cost to buy them?
    As long as they're making money and not horrendously in debt I don't believe they would ever be for sale at any price. Their monetary worth has nothing to do with it. It's a community owned team. In order to be sold you have to be owned by somebody. Who exactly are the Edmonton Eskimos owned by? If they were to be sold to a Katz where would the money even go to? Would every property owner in the city of Edmonton get $3.55 off their taxes? Would they split the proceeds among the season ticket holders? Would it go directly into the city coffers? They're not setup to be purchased unless they go straight into the toilet financially and they need to be sold off in order to pay as many outstanding debts as possible in an attempt to continue to operate.
    Last edited by adb; 06-22-2019 at 08:27 AM.

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

As long as they're making money and not horrendously in debt I don't believe they would ever be for sale at any price. Their financial worth has nothing to do with it. It's a community owned team. If they were to be sold to a Katz where would the money even go to? Would every property owner in the city of Edmonton get $3.55 off their taxes? Would they split the proceeds among the season ticket holders? Would it go directly into the city coffers? They're not setup to be purchased unless they go straight into the toilet financially and they need to be sold off to pay as many outstanding debts as possible.
    You are confusing community owned with municipal. The City of Edmonton, ergo the taxpayers, do not own the Esks.

The EEFC is owned by shareholders. Who those shareholders are is not made public. The shares are not offered to members of the public.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post
    You are confusing community owned with municipal. The City of Edmonton, ergo the taxpayers, do not own the Esks.

The EEFC is owned by shareholders. Who those shareholders are is not made public. The shares are not offered to members of the public.
    So under that definition they are not a community owned team they are a privately owned team (since the shares are not publicly exchanged and are not offered to members of the community for sale) and as such they should stop using that moniker in the press when they are being described. It would be interesting to understand the history behind this. All I know which admittedly is not a lot is that the nervous nine were involved early in their history. Are they (and their descendants) the owners? Have they taken on additional shareholders over the years to deal with past financial challenges? Do the shareholders pay taxes or receive dividends? You would think there would have to be a way to find out such things. You cannot simply operate in total anonymity in today's financial day and age. If someone wants to sue the Edmonton Eskimos beyond the worth of their current balance sheet who gets named in the law suit as the owners? Doesn't make sense to me that there has never been an occasion in the past where the shareholders would be exposed to the world. If Katz has made overtures to buy the club wouldn't it be the Board's responsibility to take the offer to the shareholders for a vote? You would think such instances would have seen the light of day somehow. Again I have no background in the financial arena at all so I may be totally off base in the comments I've made but I just find it hard to believe that a business can be operated publicly with all sorts of financial exchanges being made with no way of finding out who owns it but maybe you can.
    Last edited by adb; 06-22-2019 at 09:30 AM.

vCash

So under that definition they are not a community owned team they are a privately owned team (since the shares are not publicly exchanged) and as such they should stop using that moniker in the press when they are being described. It would be interesting to understand the history behind this. All I know which admittedly is not a lot is that the nervous nine were involved early in their history. Are they (and their descendants) the owners? Have they taken on additional shareholders over the years to deal with past financial challenges? Do the shareholders pay taxes or receive dividends? You would think there would have to be a way to find out such things. You cannot simply operate in total anonymity in today's financial day and age. If someone wants to sue the Edmonton Eskimos beyond their current balance sheet who gets named in the law suit as the owners? Doesn't make sense to me that there has never been an occasion in the past where the shareholders would be exposed to the world. If Katz has made overtures in the past wouldn't it be the Board's responsibility to take the offer to the shareholders for a vote? You would think such instances would have seen the light of day somehow.
    I believe they say "community owned" because the shareholders are presumably members of the local community. But who knows? If you can find out who are the actual shareholders, please share. Would be a great investigative journalism piece.

If you want to sue the EEFC, you go after the corporation not the shareholders. And if they are not public, they can operate in anonymity.

vCash
    Blog Entries

I believe they say "community owned" because the shareholders are presumably members of the local community. But who knows? If you can find out who are the actual shareholders, please share. Would be a great investigative journalism piece.

If you want to sue the EEFC, you go after the corporation not the shareholders. And if they are not public, they can operate in anonymity.
    I have no idea but as a fan would certainly like to know. Interesting discussion.

vCash

I have no idea but as a fan would certainly like to know. Interesting discussion.
    Sounds like a job for one of our intrepid reporters, Terry or Gerry!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by writfiler View Post
    Sounds like a job for one of our intrepid reporters, Terry or Gerry!
    I'm guessing they already have a pretty good idea. There are also some on this site (or were) that know some shareholders. It just seems like an unwritten rule to not divulge that information.

Why the secrecy? Maybe they don't want their business or personal lives to be targets for dissatisfaction with the franchise? "You allowed Tillman and Rhodes to be hired? You idiot. I'm not supporting your business now."

vCash

I'm guessing they already have a pretty good idea. There are also some on this site (or were) that know some shareholders. It just seems like an unwritten rule to not divulge that information.

Why the secrecy? Maybe they don't want their business or personal lives to be targets for dissatisfaction with the franchise? "You allowed Tillman and Rhodes to be hired? You idiot. I'm not supporting your business now."
    But it wasn’t shareholders that let those things happen. It was members of the board of directors. Different positions/roles.

The board of directors’ names & affiliations are public info btw.