Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Rhodes not to seek another term

Re: Rhodes not to seek another term

It’s absolutely embarrassing that this is the guy tasked with reporting on the Eskimos.

vCash

Moddejonge is 17 days too early with this. He must have meant to have it published on APRIL FOOLS day.

vCash

Was Moddejonge being serious? What qualifications does Reed have to be a Pres of a team? The Pres of a football team IMO needs to have some experience football wise but also have some business experience. Reed was ZERO business experience and on the football side, he's lousy. He was at best a mediocre coach and has been a lousy GM. SO how on earth would Moddejonge think Kavis is a good idea? Rhodes was a lousy football Pres in that he had ZERO football experience but at least he had business and marketing experience so he could do some of the job to some degree.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    Was Moddejonge being serious? What qualifications does Reed have to be a Pres of a team? The Pres of a football team IMO needs to have some experience football wise but also have some business experience. Reed was ZERO business experience and on the football side, he's lousy. He was at best a mediocre coach and has been a lousy GM. SO how on earth would Moddejonge think Kavis is a good idea? Rhodes was a lousy football Pres in that he had ZERO football experience but at least he had business and marketing experience so he could do some of the job to some degree.
    I'd be so disgusted if they hired Kavis as our president ,he can't even be a good coach or GM let alone run our Eskimos franchise as president I hope this is just an April fools joke

vCash

Was Moddejonge being serious?
    Maybe, maybe not. What Moddejonge was being was a lousy columnist as opposed to his regular role as a fair-to-mediocre beat reporter. It's not the first time that I've strongly disagreed with one of his opinions. The latest one re. Kavis Reed is particularly idiotic. I think it has zero chance of actually happening.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Well, this was kind of interesting! My LinkedIn account just notified me that the Eskimos have posted their Presidency Position ( link here ).

The position was posted 7 days ago and has 63 applicants. As a common fan with no insider access , it's kind of interesting to see directly what the job involves and what the club is looking for in a president.

FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS

Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:

*Empower management to field a competitive football team that is in contention to win the Grey Cup. (This was top on the list of deliverables. Is winning everything again?)

*Foster a compelling entertainment proposition that is fun, safe and affordable.

*Develop and execute a business model that ensures long term sustainability and preserves the values and traditions of Edmonton Eskimos Football Club.

*Maintain stability within the organization both on and off the field.
    In light of the previous president, this section was...interesting...

Ideal Personal Profile

A senior leader that embodies the “Eskimo Way”:

* A stable, selfless, high emotional intelligence leader who will prioritise the team and staff over any personal agendas;

* A humble but confident, self-sufficient leader with unquestioned personal and professional integrity; and

* Direct and assertive when handling conflict management, both internally and externally (i.e. media, employees, or team).
    There's a lot to read, but those were some of the more intriguing requirements.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pizmo View Post
    This is a joke, right? Right?
    Sadly, I don’t think he was joking.

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    It’s absolutely embarrassing that this is the guy tasked with reporting on the Eskimos.
    That’s been apparent for quite some time.

Was Moddejonge being serious?
    There are 2 possibilities:

1. Yes, he was being serious. The ET & Kavis era was a goldmine for him. Direct access & scoops served on a platter (sometimes with a bonus meal at Red Robin included haha) without needing to learn an actual thing about football schemes or player personnel issues, or authentically establishing credibility. If Kavis becomes prez, Mod’s life would be good.

2. He was asked to provide an opinion piece Ó ka Terry Jones. This is unlikely, however, as he is the beat reporter. (Typically I would also say he doesn’t know enough, but TJ has shown us that you can be in that role without truly knowing all that much.)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post
    Sadly, I don’t think he was joking.

That’s been apparent for quite some time.

There are 2 possibilities:

1. Yes, he was being serious. The ET & Kavis era was a goldmine for him. Direct access & scoops served on a platter (sometimes with a bonus meal at Red Robin included haha) without needing to learn an actual thing about football schemes or player personnel issues, or authentically establishing credibility. If Kavis becomes prez, Mod’s life would be good.

2. He was asked to provide an opinion piece Ó ka Terry Jones. This is unlikely, however, as he is the beat reporter. (Typically I would also say he doesn’t know enough, but TJ has shown us that you can be in that role without truly knowing all that much.)
    One thing that ha bothered me about most that cover the Eskies is that they show up at the end of the training camp sessions and lob soft ball questions that produce canned results. I would far rather read a training camp report from GWN than anything Jones puts out there.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OK14 View Post
    Well, this was kind of interesting! My LinkedIn account just notified me that the Eskimos have posted their Presidency Position ( link here ).

The position was posted 7 days ago and has 63 applicants. As a common fan with no insider access , it's kind of interesting to see directly what the job involves and what the club is looking for in a president.

In light of the previous president, this section was...interesting...

There's a lot to read, but those were some of the more intriguing requirements.
    Very interesting indeed. I certainly like the way the first year deliverables read. The personal profile is very interesting as I don't think an organization would ever write things that way unless it was specifically an issue in the past and seems to support some of the assertions we've heard about how Rhodes conducted himself.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Very interesting indeed. I certainly like the way the first year deliverables read. The personal profile is very interesting as I don't think an organization would ever write things that way unless it was specifically an issue in the past and seems to support some of the assertions we've heard about how Rhodes conducted himself.
    People can read into what they want, but it isn't unusually for organizations to articulate the leadership style they're looking for. It is, in part, an aspirational statement from the Board as to the ideal candidate, but it is also something they can hold up as a measuring stick for any serious candidate.

And if winning was, in fact, everything... it would have been a one point section on the deliverables.

vCash
    Blog Entries

^Well, the very first deliverable does speak to "empowering management to be competitive", which was exactly one of the main deliverables that Rhodes flubbed in his tenure. Putting that at the top of the list is a real statement IMO.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

^Well, the very first deliverable does speak to "empowering management to be competitive", which was exactly one of the main deliverables that Rhodes flubbed in his tenure. Putting that at the top of the list is a real statement IMO.
    As much as I wanted Rhodes gone (mainly for letting Hervey go) I don't believe, for a minute, that he didn't "empower management to be competitive." We spent to the cap every year and I don't believe he had his fingers in the football ops budget at all. Of course I could be totally wrong as this is strictly my opinion and is NOT based on any kind of fact.
    #PizStrong

vCash
    Blog Entries

^ Wasn't he taking money out of football ops to fund the concerts?

vCash

Can't say for sure as I haven't dove into the financials but I know we spent to the cap every year.
    #PizStrong

vCash

thats what was hinted at.

vCash
    Blog Entries

3 Down Nation Podcast discussing Moddejonge article at about the 24 minute mark. See link below.

https://soundcloud.com/3downnation/r...-signs-combine
    ôRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    3 Down Nation Podcast discussing Moddejonge article at about the 24 minute mark. See link below.

https://soundcloud.com/3downnation/r...-signs-combine
    Thanks for the link. Dunk's & Edwards' reaction to Moddejonge's horse**** article, while understandable given the context of their discussion re. the Als' situation, only serves to piss me off at Modd even more.

vCash

NO.

No matter how often people repeat that, it isn't true.

Marketing and promotion budgets were completely separate from football ops budgets.

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    NO.

No matter how often people repeat that, it isn't true.

Marketing and promotion budgets were completely separate from football ops budgets.
    Money wan't being taken out of budgets once established. That is correct. But under previous leadership, budgeting requests that were deemed vital to on-field competitiveness were denied, and budgets for certain [sarcasm on/] well loved [sarcasm off/] marketing ideas received an increase. Semantics
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    Money wan't being taken out of budgets once established. That is correct. But under previous leadership, budgeting requests that were deemed vital to on-field competitiveness were denied, and budgets for certain [sarcasm on/] well loved [sarcasm off/] marketing ideas received an increase. Semantics
    My understanding is that the football ops budget was on par with or higher than every other team other than Sask, where Jones had closer to a blank cheque at times.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Hey fellow Eskies any more talk of hiring our new president ,What's taking so long ? Is their any talk in Edmonton about who the front runners are fo team president? I hope and pray that the BOD aren't stupid enough to hire Kavis as I would absolutely vomit .Can anybody give me some good news?
    Any talk about if we are interested in Jon Ryan as our punter or are we happy with Hugh O'Neil

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by dealerd View Post
    Hey fellow Eskies any more talk of hiring our new president ,What's taking so long ? Is their any talk in Edmonton about who the front runners are fo team president? I hope and pray that the BOD aren't stupid enough to hire Kavis as I would absolutely vomit .Can anybody give me some good news?
    Any talk about if we are interested in Jon Ryan as our punter or are we happy with Hugh O'Neil
    I believe Keith Gretzky is the frontrunner for every available position in the Edmonton sporting community.
    Seriously though, I'm glad they are taking their time with the selection. Let's get it right.
    Re: Jon Ryan - in my opinion we are better off with Hugh considering he can also double as a place kicker. He's not as "money" as Whyte, but I like having kickers that can handle the dual role in an emergency.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

I am happy with Hugh O'Neill.
    Great punter, local guy, and as Hugo pointed out, can place kick in a pinch.

vCash

Bumping this thread... anybody hear whispers out of the Igloo at all? Getting pretty close to the season here, and no prez to be seen.

vCash

I saw yesterday that they won't be naming one at the annual general meeting.

Other than that, pretty quiet out there.

vCash

The EEFC's Annual Report from their AGM today is out and online - 3DownNation has a link in their story - https://3downnation.com/2019/05/07/e...e-2018-season/.

Of note - a preliminary scan does not see mention of Len Rhodes that I can find - neither in attribution of a successful Grey Cup that he was a part of, or in the financial success that the EEFC had in 2018 with him at the helm. I'm not left thinking that it is an oversight, but more so, whether it was an intentional omission due to tensions somewhere in the organization or just turning the page. Just curious, and no information one way or the others to create an assertion.

Ultimately, turned a profit of $2.8 million, with about half of that from Operating profits and half from non-operating profits (net of positive Grey Cup revenues, combined with a lousy year for the stabilization fund in the markets and some depreciation expenses on their assets).

In the report, it advises that Duane Vienneau has been named "Chief Grey Cup & Events Officer" for the CFL, and will now lead all Grey Cup planning and execution in future years across Canada. Hadn't seen this reported previously.

Mentions that they are expecting the search for the next President and CEO to be completed in the coming weeks.

Good, but non-specific report on the steps taken, and ongoing, about the name - consultation, stakeholder engagement, travel for meetings, outreach, etc. Will be including the Inuit community, both locally and in the north, in their community engagement program starting this year.

Gate revenues down 1% ($89,000) - blamed mainly on weather-related issues. Merchandise revenues down 8.5% - blamed on Grey Cup merch sales eating into it (could also be end of Adidas and knowing new provider coming). Concessions and Game Day revenues down 1.3%. Sponsorship up 9.3%, and now accounts for 23.1% of total revenues - second only to gate receipts at 38.3%, and higher than TV/CFL distributions at 17.4%.

Donated $845,000 to amateur football through 50/50 program - total of $4.5 million since 2012.

$8.55 million spent on players and coaches compensation. This is down $290,000 from 2017 - largely, presumably due to less long-term injuries (2017 was year of the Achilles). Under the $5.2 million salary cap, but did not say by how much.

$1.35 million spent on scouting and football administration. This is up $145,000 from 2017.

Telling that the Post-Season game in 2017 caused $30,000 in revenues and $237,000 in expenses.

Still $13 million in the stabilization fund - an absolute dream for most CFL clubs - even despite a rough year for investments. With the markets bouncing back through the first quarter of 2019, it's likely that most of 2018 losses in that fund have been regained.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Maybe the Esks could buy the Lions...
    Sorry everyone for not contributing anything to this board... My bad?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    Maybe the Esks could buy the Lions...
    They lose enough money on their investments...

vCash

https://d3ham790trbkqy.cloudfront.ne...ual-Report.pdf

Winnipeg report for comparison. I think the only other publically available one.
    Have to do a bit of analysis to make some numbers comparable. Overall they far outperform us in revenue - gates, sponsorship, concession.

vCash

We should hire a marketing guru as our next club president. That should really help our revenue streams
    "Because this Eskimo experience is not made for just anyone" - KP