Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ryan Rishaug: Mike Reilly Signs With BC Lions, 4 Year Deal

vCash

Re: Ryan Rishaug: Mike Reilly Signs With BC Lions, 4 Year Deal

Mixed feelings on Reilly leaving. On one hand he was part of the leadership group that brought us a cup but on the other hand hes bailing on the team and the offence that gave him the chance and the stats to cash in like he has.

On one hand I cant blame him for wanting to be closer to home but on the other him delaying this decision helped to cost us Franklin.

On one hand I cant blame him for following Herverys vision but on the other Brock hasnt been Tillman bad.

Tomorrow brings change, my level of excitement will range from Harris to collaros. Wants are Jennings, Harris or Franklin and to a lesser extent Bo (feel dirty for saying it). My stay aways, as far as starters go are Collaros, Bridge and Glenn.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

Wow, so much sour grapes.

During the season, the smart thing to do is to say CBA. Can you imagine the past few days happening during the season?!??

He’s not a traitor, or the enemy. If it’s location & proximity to family, how can you fault him for that?

I think he made a smart move. Close to family, winning and smart GM, chance to build a legacy in Vancouver. Good for him.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie123 View Post

During the season, the smart thing to do is to say CBA. Can you imagine the past few days happening during the season?!??

He’s not a traitor, or the enemy. If it’s location & proximity to family, how can you fault him for that?

I think he made a smart move. Close to family, winning and smart GM, chance to build a legacy in Vancouver. Good for him.
    Just crying in my beer smartie, sucks losing a guy like Mike
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by esks123 View Post
    Maas is a good OC, but I think he has proven quite clearly that he is a mediocre head coach at best. Once we hire a new president and (likely) miss the playoffs this year I bet both BS and Maas will be gone. I don't see how one survives and not the other. BS hitched his wagon to Maas this year by not easily firing him after the 2018 season.
    Given some of the smoke on here, one wonders if Sunderland chose to keep Maas or was ordered to from above.

As much as I have real doubts about Maas as a head coach — preparation, discipline, and play calling — I do like the changes made this off-season to the coaching staff and one would imagine guys like Gass and Tucker were his own connections. I'm not certain if there's history with Lolley there, though. It'll be interesting to see if everyone is on the same page as they attempt to build a football club moving forward.

It sucks to lose Mike Reilly, to have some good talent go to the NFL - particularly in the receiving corps, and to lose a leader like Sherritt but I'm really not prepared to think the sky is falling right now. There have been some promising American signings — including two receivers and some DBs already — Smith will be a great ratio breaker, and there's serviceable defensive guys already signed ready to play a much more aggressive scheme. There's also a hefty amount of cap space available right now.

If Sunderland grabbed someone like Harris or Jennings and maybe added to the OL — though I don't think it was terrible when Draheim was healthy, I'm not too worried on offence. They could utilize Gable more and they might be more deferential to him with Reilly gone. Change isn't a bad thing and they increasingly struggled to get the job done last year or they would have been a playoff team.

On the defensive side of the ball, I like the line — and even moreso if Ceresna is training camp fodder. Jones and Reed will be fine in the middle. I'd like to see some impact DBs added, though. That said, there's going to be some cap to address needs.

Also, the special teams should be improved under Gass and the Esks may finally, finally have a return man in Martese Jackson. That's such a huge and underrated part of the Canadian game.

Let's see what tomorrow brings.

vCash

Treat it like a game day thread. We’re still emotional about it so likely less rational for the next day or two until we move on.

Opus is offline Then start asking the right ******* questions.

Super Moderator

vCash

This hurts....a lot.

Those of you who feel betrayed, give your heads a shake. If you think this was an easy decision for him to make, then you were likely never a fan of Mike beyond what he did on the field.

I can't begin to express the disappointment I feel right now. Not in Mike, but rather this organization that allowed this to happen. It began much earlier than this offeseason though. It began when they allowed the moron Rhodes to remove Swerve.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.

vCash

Almost matching the gloating.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Opus View Post
    This hurts....a lot.

Those of you who feel betrayed, give your heads a shake. If you think this was an easy decision for him to make, then you were likely never a fan of Mike beyond what he did on the field.

I can't begin to express the disappointment I feel right now. Not in Mike, but rather this organization that allowed this to happen. It began much earlier than this offeseason though. It began when they allowed the moron Rhodes to remove Swerve.
    Bolded for truth.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks1975 View Post
    Almost matching the gloating.
    Please explain. I don’t understand what you mean.

If you want gloating, that’s nothing!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post
    I'm not blaming him for chasing the money. Good for him. But he had no intention of signing here since the beginning of last season. The whole let's wait and see was a con.

Move to a good team? The Lions tied us for last in the west in 2018. The only reason why they edged us out is because the Esks crapped the bed down the stretch in large part to poor play by Reilly!
    He played with one foot out the door all season............

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by esks123 View Post
    This one hurts. It is so rare that a QB at the top of his game is lost for nothing in free agency. I appreciate what he did for the Esks, but in a sense, do feel betrayed.
    He is the enemy now though and honestly after this, I dont feel ready to cheer for him anymore than our other ex QBs- Nichols or Masoli. He could have had a legacy here if he had won another cup. Ray sits ahead of him now in my books.

We are sitting on a land mine of cap space now though. If we don't sign a **** ton of high end free agents and a decent QB (BLM, Harris) or to a lesser extent Jennings or trade for Franklin the crowds will drop to below 20 thousand. The Esks can't throw an expired QB like Collaros, Lulay, or Glenn out as starter in week one and expect people to show up to games, can they?
    Dissapointed he didn’t sign with us but I’ll always like Mike Reilly.

This was all Rhodes and the Hervey attachment.
    Last edited by Nanookster; 02-11-2019 at 10:22 PM.
    Placing the Alberta Flag on the Calgary Flames uniform is akin to putting lipstick on a Pig
    Pizmo Loves Nanookster

vCash

Hate to see Mike go, but BC signing him to that deal is not much different to a Milan Lucic signing. His best days are behind him.

We missed the playoffs with this guy. Too many second half collapses when he couldn't move the ball.
    2nd & short = PUNT

vCash

It sucks, but I’m doing my best to focus on the positives:

AJ Friggen Gass is back!
    Jason Tucker is back
    Maas will have a new QB to groom
    Mondo is still around
    BS signed Tevan Smith (unexpected)
    Bene is gone and Lolley (a guy I liked during the Jones era) is now running the D
    Lenny is gone (and hopefully replaced with Wad)

If you want gloating, that’s nothing!
    Why would you want to gloat about this? You claim to be an Eskimo fan do you not?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    Why would you want to gloat about this? You claim to be an Eskimo fan do you not?
    Haven’t claimed that in quite some time.

This board has always been a good read no matter who you support. Lately people aren’t so cool if you have a different opinion, but it’s all good.
    Last edited by Smartie123; 02-11-2019 at 10:55 PM.

vCash

Appalling to see even the most even keel posters suddenly turn on Reilly and say hes on the decline(could be true but) cause it suits the narrative and makes you feel better I guess.

It is what it is. If you've loved the guy as a person, athlete, this transaction shouldn't change and suddenly sour that. It wasn't on bad terms how he left (least not with the fans and community)

Maybe it was, but it was behind the scenes, hidden, kept inside, we'll never know cause that's what Reilly does, he kept it all professional.

vCash

So if free agency is starting on Feb 12 at 10AM MST how is this announced today???? Did we trade his rights to BC?

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shootler View Post
    Hate to see Mike go, but BC signing him to that deal is not much different to a Milan Lucic signing. His best days are behind him.

We missed the playoffs with this guy. Too many second half collapses when he couldn't move the ball.
    At the risk of sounding like a Riders fan, this is my gut feeling too.

I definitely wish Mike the best; I hope his post-30 career is more Ricky Ray than Kerry Joseph. But at the same time, I think about the second-half nosedives of 2017 and 2018, where our offense went more cold than an Edmonton winter. If it was any other quarterback at the helm, the vibe on this site would be a lot more different.

(Of course, who knows how much of the blame on offense is coaching?)
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

I don’t feel betrayed but I have never nor will I ever cheer for a player on another team. I’m an Eskimo fan, not a fan of any specific player. He is the opposition now.

The failure of this organization was not losing him to BC to be closer to his family. The failure was making it to only 1 Grey Cup game in 6 years of having one of the best QBs in franchise history.

vCash

Best of luck mike reilly.. thanks for everything!

vCash

Mike was everything this franchise could ask for - a tough as nails competitor, a great leader, a consulate teammate, and a solid citizen.

He earned the right to be a free agent by honouring his contract, and he earns the right to play where he wants to and do what's best for his family and career, however he weighs those two out.

When he arrived in Edmonton, he was a promising backup QB fighting for a starting job, unmarried and without kids. He grew as a player and he grew as a person - and he left an indelible Mark on each of us that got to know him.

I felt, and I still feel, that if this was only a football decision, Edmonton was the better fit. He had the prospect of some continuity, a scheme that was built around him, a cap structured for him, and almost a sure ticket up on the wall someday.

I don't have kids. I can only imagine the draw of being around them more in their first few years, and the proximity to Seattle offers that, even if it's maybe an extra 4 days every few weeks. I agree with those that say this move doesn't happen without a trust in Ed, but I have heard directly from Mike that he has a similar trust in Jason. This was a convergence of an architect he trusts and a chance to be close to his young family.

He and Emily made a conscious choice to have their kids delivered in Edmonton. The city has become special to them and a part of their history. What he's felt about Edmonton doesn't go away just because he has another opportunity that he's earned the right to pursue.

I'm sad that Mike won't be the QB of the Esks. I will not stop being a fan of Mike Reilly as a football player, as a man, and as a someone I am proud to call a friend. I will still cheer for Edmonton first 365 days a year, but just as I do for Matt Nichols or James Franklin, I will cheer on their personal success, and root for them against most of the teams in the league.

#13 - BONE - #TapTap - Best of luck on this next chapter and growing football back to a strong CFL franchise on and off the field.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    Mike was everything this franchise could ask for - a tough as nails competitor, a great leader, a consulate teammate, and a solid citizen.

He earned the right to be a free agent by honouring his contract, and he earns the right to play where he wants to and do what's best for his family and career, however he weighs those two out.

When he arrived in Edmonton, he was a promising backup QB fighting for a starting job, unmarried and without kids. He grew as a player and he grew as a person - and he left an indelible Mark on each of us that got to know him.

I felt, and I still feel, that if this was only a football decision, Edmonton was the better fit. He had the prospect of some continuity, a scheme that was built around him, a cap structured for him, and almost a sure ticket up on the wall someday.

I don't have kids. I can only imagine the draw of being around them more in their first few years, and the proximity to Seattle offers that, even if it's maybe an extra 4 days every few weeks. I agree with those that say this move doesn't happen without a trust in Ed, but I have heard directly from Mike that he has a similar trust in Jason. This was a convergence of an architect he trusts and a chance to be close to his young family.

He and Emily made a conscious choice to have their kids delivered in Edmonton. The city has become special to them and a part of their history. What he's felt about Edmonton doesn't go away just because he has another opportunity that he's earned the right to pursue.

I'm sad that Mike won't be the QB of the Esks. I will not stop being a fan of Mike Reilly as a football player, as a man, and as a someone I am proud to call a friend. I will still cheer for Edmonton first 365 days a year, but just as I do for Matt Nichols or James Franklin, I will cheer on their personal success, and root for them against most of the teams in the league.

#13 - BONE - #TapTap - Best of luck on this next chapter and growing football back to a strong CFL franchise on and off the field.
    Great post GWN.

What I want to know, Mike, is what are you going to do with your custom Gold Hummer with the Green rims? That thing won’t work in YVR?!

Seriously though, Mike was the leader and catalyst to the Cup win in 2015. We’ll always have that.

Sucks to see you go, but we’ll come after you in June.

Haven’t claimed that in quite some time.

This board has always been a good read no matter who you support. Lately people aren’t so cool if you have a different opinion, but it’s all good.
    Since about April 7th, 2017 I’m guessing...

vCash

To be clear, none of my frustrations go to Mike Reilly. Reilly has worked his ass off and sacrificed more than any other Eskimo player in the last 6 years. If he chooses he wants to go somewhere else, he's entitled to that. I certainly think he could have handled his "pre-agency" (year before he becomes a free agent) much better, but it is what it is. Side note: Maybe not do that "Edmonton" commercial if you're not thinking about being an Eskimo long term?

I blame the Eskimos management staff, board of directors and Len Rhodes. There's no way Mike Reilly chooses to go there and leave his situation in Edmonton with Jason Maas if he doesn't trust the people he's working with. If those people aren't in BC and are in Edmonton, I wouldn't have created this thread yesterday evening. He'd be re-signed probably well in advance. For that, I blame Len Rhodes. For hiring Len Rhodes, I blame the Board of Directors.

Where my criticism of Sunderland goes is not trading Mike Reilly. I get that sounds ridiculous but his job as a GM is to have a pulse on Mike's thinking. If he offered him record extensions last off-season before they traded Franklin and Reilly said, "No, I want to test free agency," then you have to look to trade him. You cannot let a guy like that walk out the door for nothing. And the rumours about Mike Reilly following Ed Hervey to BC has been out there ever since Hervey joined the Lions as GM.

Now, the only thing the Eskimos are left with is cap space. And that is an organizational FAILURE.

vCash

I had a feeling that this would happen.

As an Esk's fan I am really sad to see him leave but I understand his motivations for doing so.

Thank-you Mike for all the memories. You are and always will be one hell of a competitor!
    " To alcohol, the cause of and solution to all life's problems"

-Homer Simpson

vCash

I knew it was coming but doesn't change that I am pissed. Call me "negative" but this is an epic fail on the organization. This to me is like the Ricky Ray trade all over again. You have a franchise player, arguably the best in the league. He's EVERYTHING an organization would want in your leader and now he's gone and it is 100% on the organization. For those that are using "he just wanted to be closer to home" BS angle to try to justify the Esks screwing this up to make themselves feel better, that's not true. All you had to do is listen to Gregor yesterday who's BUDDIES with Reilly talk about it in his show. Gregor said the main reason Reilly is not an Esks is because of the organization. He went to play with HERVEY because he trusts him and believes in him because he wants to WIN and he doesn't believe in what the Esks have in charge here. I don't blame him.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Good luck in BC Mike, just not against us

Not going to say much except that this happens with all organizations and we as an organization will move on and be a good team.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Until it's up on the Lions website - I'm not believing it. We still have time to offer more dollars...
    Just a quick shout out to Mr."Winning isn't everything" for pis*ing away not one but TWO HoF QB's. F*ck you Len and good riddance.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maas_12 View Post
    Appalling to see even the most even keel posters suddenly turn on Reilly and say hes on the decline(could be true but) cause it suits the narrative and makes you feel better I guess.

It is what it is. If you've loved the guy as a person, athlete, this transaction shouldn't change and suddenly sour that. It wasn't on bad terms how he left (least not with the fans and community)

Maybe it was, but it was behind the scenes, hidden, kept inside, we'll never know cause that's what Reilly does, he kept it all professional.
    I will always appreciate MR for what he gave to the EEFC. He was a warrior and left everything on the field for us and bleed green and gold for 6 years. As far as him giving the organization the heads up that he likely would be leaving a year in advance so they could have moved him out of here and kept Franklin why would he have done that? In that scenario if you are the esks would you be trading him to a rival in the west in a GC year or are you trading him out east where he can do the least harm. In that scenario he is even further away from his family. I can't blame him for not doing that. I also cannot begrudge him his right to leave. He contractually had earned the right to do so. Am I disappointed that he was not like a Ricky Ray who probably would have retired an Eskimo. Yup but I do not begrudge him the right to do so. That being said while I wish him the best of luck on an individual basis I hope the BC Lions as a football team suck along with every other team in the west outside of my beloved Esks and that we do everything in our power within the rules to knock the snot out of the Leos each and every time we play them. Game on.
    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Damn you Mike, I hope you lose every game while wearing orange!!!!..... not that I'm bitter or anything like that
    Is it game day yet?????

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    Gregor said the main reason Reilly is not an Esks is because of the organization. He went to play with HERVEY because he trusts him and believes in him because he wants to WIN and he doesn't believe in what the Esks have in charge here. I don't blame him.
    Agreed. The whole explanation about Reilly signing with BC to be closer to his family is just conjecture fans tell themselves to ease the pain. There are no quotes from Reilly saying that's the reason he went to free agency. We saw photos of Reilly and his family together during the season all the time -- that's part of what half a million dollars per year gets you. Being arguably the league's marquee player with a GM who traded for you and built your Grey Cup winning team and brought in Chris Jones and supplied you with all star receivers might have been enough to keep him in the city. But Rhodes' unceremoniously punting Hervey to the curb no doubt did leave a bad taste in Reilly's mouth. His impetus for not staying is way more believably the result of wanting to win and surrounding himself with people he believes in and trusts. Going from the apex of Hervey/Jones to the learning-on-the-job tandem of Sunderland/Maas had to have been disheartening.
    Last edited by Pitfall Harry; 02-12-2019 at 09:33 AM.