Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Eskimos 2019 Free Agency

vCash
    Blog Entries

Re: Eskimos 2019 Free Agency

Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    If SirV and Bond can make some real chemistry, that is going to be a load to try and get around on the left side or through that B gap. MOD is no slouch at RG, and I thought Beard did admirably at C, improving on a decent performance in 2017 to be good in the middle of that line. RT will be interesting as I think that Draheim can be solid and if we can relegate Kelly to backup, that is one of the best overall lines we've seen over the past few years. I look forward to camp in a few months, if we can get that CBA nailed down between now and then.....
    Am looking forward to an effective run game behind that big oline
    Last edited by adb; 03-05-2019 at 11:42 AM.
    ôRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    I don't think continuity is a word to describe the Stamps this off-season. I'm not saying that they can't plug some of the holes, but they have lost Alex Singleton (NFL), Micah Johnson (FA), Spencer Wilson (FA), Ja'Gared Davis (FA), Ciante Evans (AAF), Davaris Daniels (FA), Marken Michel (NFL), Jameer Thurman (NFL), James Vaughters (NFL), Deron Mayo (retired), Tunde Adeleke (FA), Lemar Durant (FA), Patrick Levels (FA), and Maleki Harris.

By my count, they've only signed 2-3 current CFL free agents, so are either slow-playing things or looking to replace with guys new to the league. At least 9-10 of those listed were starters.

I can agree that the Stamps get the benefit of the doubt as GC champs, but when you also factor in losing Claybrooks as their DC, I don't think that they can be considered nearly the same team that ended the 2018 season. That said, I expect that they'll be running largely the same schemes, with the new DC being an internal hire.

---------

The Bombers get marks for the highest continuity in the west imo - same QB and backup, same coaching staff, and should be relatively in sync early on in the season while other teams are adjusting.

A few key losses on the OL, which was the strength of their team last year, but still anchored nicely by one of the best LTs in the game in Stanley Bryant, and a solid RT in Hardrick. Likely relying on Couture at Centre and Gray to step in at RG, with Neufeld at LG. Aside from Chung and Goossen, their biggest losses were likely Santos-Knox, Loffler and Fogg, with Loffler being the toughest to replace at near the same level. Holding them to the same standard as other teams though, they also lost Kienan Lafrance (FA), Ryan Lankford (FA), and Ian Wild (released), and still unsigned are Drake Nevis, Tristan Okpalaufo, Freddy Plesius and Weston Dressler.

With Harris turning 32 before the season, it's a valid question whether he'll be able to stand up to the workhorse role, and I don't see Flanders listed on their roster anymore, but Wpg has had an effective run game, and I don't expect that to change drastically. If there is a question on offence, besides how they fill the OL losses, it's likely at the receiving position, where Darvin Adams, Nic Demski, Drew Wolitarsky and Kenbrell Thomkins likely start, with Rashaun Simonise and Daniel Peterman platoon in a second NI spot, unless one of the newcomers step up. Defensively, D-line has solid anchors in Jeffcoat and Jefferson with Roh inside, and LB corps built around Bighill and Briggs should be good. Secondary has some veterans, and with an O'Shea team, you know that STs will be in the upper half of the league.

----------

The Esks cannot claim continuity, but I think most are happy with the changes to the coaching staff with bringing in Lolley, Tucker, Gass and Fields.

Hard to believe that there's a way to lose the top QB in the league and two of the top five receivers, a heart and soul MLB and your best DB... and still possibly feel good about your roster going into the season. With the way the pipeline has looked at WR the past few years, rolling out Ellingson, Daniels, Collins, Stafford, Smith and Adjei wouldn't have been a predictable outcome, but it's got an interesting level of proven play and depth, with guys like Elliott, Parker, Shaw, Shuler and Gibson competing along with some newcomers. Run game, with Gable, Robinson and Cooper looks good and has some depth, and the O-Line gets upgraded with the addition of SvR. If you have to lose Reilly, hard to imagine a better guy to step in than Harris, especially with his go-to receiver and a long connection with Maas. LB corps is upgraded in both talent and depth, D-line should remain solid due to retaining Boateng, Sewell and Bazzie, and while there are some questions in the secondary, you've got Orange and Hightower as veterans, a starting caliber Canadian in Colquhoun, and some guys like Taylor, Hunter, Glass, Onyeka, Beaulieu and Hoover that have a year or more of investment in them at the CFL level and hopefully make the next step forward.

Should take a little time to gel, but with bits of continuity (either guys used to playing together elsewhere - Dean/Unamba/Lolley or Harris/Ellingson/Maas) and a largely intact O-line and backfield, I don't think we should stumble too much out of the gate with - vs Mtl, vs BC, @Wpg, Bye, @BC, @Mtl and vs Tor as our first third of the season.

----------

The Lions may end up improving the most in the end due to the acquisition of Reilly... and Grymes was a great get for them too - but as for "picking us clean", it's a stretch when the only two others were Chris Edwards and Josh Woodman. While Sutton may be a beast, he signed in Toronto, not BC. They pick up Duron Carter, John White, Sukh Chungh, Lemar Durant, Maleki Harris, and Josh Stanford. Of the signings, Reilly is obviously key, and Grymes and Chungh are capable of playing at, or near, an all-star level. Perhaps they even have a lottery ticket in Duron Carter that pays off if they can get through to him and keep him on track, but they haven't exactly upgraded other positions with experienced talent for the most part. Ed is a proven commodity at finding talent, and he'll be put to the test to replace Micah Awe (FA), Manny Arceneaux (FA), Ricky Collins (FA), Cody Fajardo (FA), Maxx Forde (FA), Otha Foster (still available as a FA), Jonathon Jennings (FA), Travis Lulay (Retired), Jeremiah Johnson (FA), Shawn Lemon (FA), Bo Lokombo (FA), Ty Long (NFL), Ivan McLennan (FA), Jovan Olafioye (still a FA), Anthony Orange (FA), Anthony Parker (FA), Devier Posey (FA), Chris Rainey (FA), Winston Rose (FA), Tyrell Sutton (FA), Anthony Thompson (still a FA) and Cory Watson (FA). They also have to make decisions on Solomon Elimimian and potentially David Foucault who are under contract, but rumoured to be on the trading block.

If it's simply getting the best player at the most important position, they win free agency. That said, they're gambling heavily on a resurgent John White, with Brandon Rutley and Wayne Moore the only other CFL-experienced RBs on the roster currently. If the season opened tomorrow, Reilly would be throwing to Burnham, Carter, Shaq Johnson, Lemar Durant and one of Larry Cobb, Shakeir Ryan, Shaq Hill or another new comer. Cobb and Hill were both Esk cuts in the past two years. If they do move (or release) Solomon Elimimian, that leaves the likely starting LB corps as Jordan Herdman in the middle, Chris Edwards at SAM and Maleki Harris at WIL - I know that some have proposed that they no longer need Solomon, but that was at a time when it would have seemed that Awe and Foster might've been in the plans. The kicking game is fully likely to take a step back with the departure of Long, but if they can get two Canadians to do the job of one import, at 90% of his level, they'll likely be okay. Almost completely new coaching staff - big roster turnover - going to have their work cut out for them to hit the ground running.

---------

The Riders.

Downgrade in coaching staff.

No dramatic improvements on offence - running game was already decent so while Powell is an upgrade, it's not the real issue - Arceneaux could help, but unlikely to be ready before mid-season. QB position hasn't been addressed or improved. O-line looks capable but unspectacular.

D-line is solid despite the loss of Jefferson and Antigha, with AC Leonard and Micah Johnson coming in, but LBs don't jump out as a position of strength. Secondary is likely the strength of the team with Butler, Gainey, Marshall, Edem and Purifoy. I'm not convinced that Dickenson and Shivers can immediately step in for Jones without a backslide.
    This is how I see it as well, great post GWN!

vCash

If SirV and Bond can make some real chemistry, that is going to be a load to try and get around on the left side or through that B gap. MOD is no slouch at RG, and I thought Beard did admirably at C, improving on a decent performance in 2017 to be good in the middle of that line. RT will be interesting as I think that Draheim can be solid and if we can relegate Kelly to backup, that is one of the best overall lines we've seen over the past few years. I look forward to camp in a few months, if we can get that CBA nailed down between now and then.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    GREAT post GWN!!!! For those of us starving for some CFL talk, this is a much needed and well thought out post. One thing I would add to the Edmonton side is Harris's comfort level with his blind side tackle. He knows what he's getting there and should be able to concentrate on his assignment without worrying about getting pasted to the turf. The Oline we are putting on the field will arguably be the best one we've had in awhile. I'm expecting our D to get stronger as the year goes but to come out of the gate a little slow.

As far as BC goes, while they are stronger and will have more consistency at the QB position, they will NEED to find a few value contracts or they will have some significant roster holes. This is where my internal battle came with resigning Reilly, the more money he gets, the less options you have for the rest of your roster.
    I believe that Derek Taylor's stats showed SvR to have only 9 pressures allowed in each of the past two seasons, and IIRC, only 2 sacks. From the discussion with he and Derek Dennis on the Inside the Locker Room Podcast, they talked about the role that having a very good LG plays in making that LT position better, and I presume that the reverse is true as well... that a top-tier LT will improve the LG as well. Now, I love me some MOD, but imo he's an all-star contender at RG, and likely a below average LT in this league (presuming that Bryant, Rogers, Dennis and Figueroa are the top LTs, that leaves one more spot before you're into below average). Having SvR and Bond playing together should be a case of the end result being bigger than the sum of the parts, in that I believe they can elevate each other's play as a unit. If Harris only has to worry about pressure coming from the left side once a game, and with a pass blocker like Gable, it should be a big step up from last year. Hopefully, having MOD back to RG will solidify things there, be it next to Draheim or Kelly or someone new stepping in. I have to say, I'm a little surprised that Olafioye is still unsigned, even if it's at a steeper price than some younger guys.

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    I wonder if as a result of the AAF that we finally see a significant dent in that Hufnagel pipeline and for that matter all of the team's new recruits. That in conjunction with the unusually large number of available free agents may have made it the right time to be a significant player in the FA market. It might end up significantly hurting teams like the Stamps and Redbalcks while helping clubs like the Lions and Esks. Should be an interesting upcoming season to say the least.
    We've heard the warnings from Football Ops guys that it's been tougher recruiting this off-season with the competition closer to home... and not just the AAF, but a 1+1 minimum rookie contract would also rule out the XFL inaugural season for guys signing in the CFL. Guys I've talked to were tempted by the immediacy of the AAF money if they could get a spot around week 3, but at this point, with the negative press about some of the financial issues, combined with having to now pro-rate away half of that first season $70k USD salary, I think anyone that was going the AAF route has already done it. That is still a lot of bodies out of the pool though, and I think you're absolutely right that it should affect the US recruiting for all teams.

Calgary has, typically, filled holes from within, so it's going to be interesting to see how many backups and PR guys they have that will be elevated to starting roles and how they'll fare. Losing starters, facing ratio changes and losing their DC are all challenges, on top of having every team out there trying to knock them off the top of the mountain. I will admit, I've got to admire them sticking to their plan in the face of those changes/losses when they're hosting the GC this year.

vCash

I have to say, I'm a little surprised that Olafioye is still unsigned, even if it's at a steeper price than some younger guys.
    Olafioye was a CFL All Star at tackle for 5-6 straight seasons. If the voters had been only voted for one LT and one RT for the west, it's possible that he might've won again, however they took Dennis and Bryant, who both play the LT spot.

An OL of SirV | Bond | Beard | MOD | Olafioye would be formidable indeed. Jovan is 31 I believe, so still should have some good years left before he starts to drift a bit.
    Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

I will admit, I've got to admire them sticking to their plan in the face of those changes/losses when they're hosting the GC this year.
    Can you imagine the venom we would have seen around here if we had done what Calgary is doing? They had a lot of roster question marks, at least for us that don't know but you can guarantee that Huff has a plan.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

That's the difference, isn't it? Unlike any other team (including ours), the Stamps have shown repeatedly that they can pick themselves off the player shortage mat.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

We have signed the following players:

���� DL James Hearns
    ���� OL Tyler Howell

Dan do your thing
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post

���� DL James Hearns
    ���� OL Tyler Howell

Dan do your thing
    holy bejesus... Howell is a 6'8" 330 pound LT. Probably make a nice backup at that position if he picks up on the CFL game well.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    holy bejesus... Howell is a 6'8" 330 pound LT. Probably make a nice backup at that position if he picks up on the CFL game well.
    his new nickname shall be runt!
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    If he picks up the game well, move him to RT and have the biggest OL in the history of the CFL. David Beard at 6'5", 300lbs would look miniscule surrounded by Rogers, Bond, O'Donnell and Howell. It would take guys an hour to get around those boys, if they can all move their feet and have the brains to plug the gaps.
    Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post

���� DL James Hearns
    ���� OL Tyler Howell

Dan do your thing

http://draftanalyst.com/tyler-howell

Tyler Howell

Tackle

School: Missouri | Conference: SEC

HEIGHT/WEIGHT: 6-8.5 / 335 | 40: 5.38 | DRAFT YR:2018

Rankings

Grade

Projected Round

FA

Bio:

Junior college transfer who started at left tackle in both of his seasons at Missouri.

Pos:

Massive tackle prospect best in a small area. Quick and possesses excellent length. Patient, keeps his feet moving and stays square in pass protection. Strong at the point of attack and fights with his hands throughout the action.

Neg:

Gets narrow based in his setup and isn’t a natural leverage blocker. Lacks overall balance and struggles to adjust.

Analysis:

Howell possesses next-level size but is strictly a right tackle prospect who must improve his fundamentals. Size alone will get him consideration for a practice squad.

================================================== ================================================== =============

http://www.draftcountdown.com/player/tyler-howell/

From the video he is mobile could really transition well.
    Last edited by danlaurin; 03-18-2019 at 06:52 PM.
    Run the Ball up the gut around the horn it does not matter. We run we win what is so difficult to understand.

vCash
    Blog Entries

ESKIMOS INK INTERNATIONAL DL BROOKS Today what's everybody's thought

vCash

If he picks up the game well, move him to RT and have the biggest OL in the history of the CFL. David Beard at 6'5", 300lbs would look miniscule surrounded by Rogers, Bond, O'Donnell and Howell. It would take guys an hour to get around those boys, if they can all move their feet and have the brains to plug the gaps.
    My gawd.... with an oline like that we had damn well be planning to run the rock!!!!
    undefined

The Moz'