Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Eskimos 2019 Free Agency

vCash

Re: Eskimos 2019 Free Agency

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Looks to be a violent tackler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_ELJA-GcuY

filling in special teams?
    Something tells me AJ would love to have this guy on special teams.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    BREAKING: We have signed ���� LB DJ Calhoun

http://www.draftscout.com/ratings/ds...018&genpos=ILB

Dates: 03/14/18
    Height: 5111
    Weight: 242
    40 Yrd Dash: 4.88
    20 Yrd Dash: 2.83
    10 Yrd Dash: 1.71
    225 Lb. Bench Reps: 20
    Vertical Jump: 27 1/2
    Broad Jump: 09'03"
    20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.66
    3-Cone Drill: 7.63

12/06/17 - 2017 ALL-PAC-12 FOOTBALL HONORABLE MENTION (COACHES): DJ Calhoun, Sr.,...D.J. Calhoun earned All-Conference honors for the second time in his career and first time since his freshman season. He was fourth in the Pac-12 in averaging 5.1 solo tackles per game and seventh with 7.8 tackles per game following the regular season. Calhoun is one of just nine inside linebackers in the country this season to miss two or fewer tackles on the year on 830 total snaps this season. He has missed one tackle on a running play and one tackle on a passing play, good for a 49.5 tackle efficiency rating from Pro Football Focus that ranks third among all inside linebabackers. The remarkable turnaround comes after Calhoun was eighth in the FBS among all inside linebackers for most missed tackles last season with 18. - Arizona State Football

Run the Ball up the gut around the horn it does not matter. We run we win what is so difficult to understand.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Something tells me AJ would love to have this guy on special teams.
    it wasn't against some div 3 team either it was against Cal I believe
    In Rod we trust

vCash

This kid is 22 years old; lots of miles left to go if he can stick.
    Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    Impossible. Ed didn't find him...
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

Just wondering why he got cut from the AAF
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Just wondering why he got cut from the AAF
    Trying to find news on the AAF is something even google can't resolve, but based on this story I found, he doesn't appear to have gone to camp. The story mentions all the players with Arizona connections of the 75 going to camp and Calhoun is not listed. DJ was one of the AAF's initial signings way back in the fall (see second link), so perhaps he was released or asked for his release early on. Then again, perhaps he was selected but never actually signed a contract.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...ow/2477443002/
    http://www.statepress.com/article/20...ootball-league

vCash

Trying to find news on the AAF is something even google can't resolve, but based on this story I found, he doesn't appear to have gone to camp. The story mentions all the players with Arizona connections of the 75 going to camp and Calhoun is not listed. DJ was one of the AAF's initial signings way back in the fall (see second link), so perhaps he was released or asked for his release early on. Then again, perhaps he was selected but never actually signed a contract.

Maybe he realized that the league was a broke ass league lol
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Ya I went though the same process. I have to say that camp this year is going to be REAL fun.

vCash

vCash

Well, some CFL QB experience added at camp, but I've not seen much to convince me that Kilgore is a guy who is gonna make the roster. I don't think he even played anywhere last season.
    Marshall appears to have an even bigger gap on his resume... sorry my bad - wrong name popped up on the google. Looks like a regular ST player for Ottawa the last number of years.
    Last edited by Hugoagogo; 02-22-2019 at 02:14 PM.

vCash

Well, some CFL QB experience added at camp, but I've not seen much to convince me that Kilgore is a guy who is gonna make the roster. I don't think he even played anywhere last season.
    Marshall appears to have an even bigger gap on his resume... sorry my bad - wrong name popped up on the google. Looks like a regular ST player for Ottawa the last number of years.
    Kilgore a QB rating of 44.04 and 2 TD's to 10 ints. while subbing for an injured Ricky Ray in 2016. 55.3 % completion though. I might pass on putting him on my fantasy team. I guess we need camp arms , Sunderland must see something in him.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    Kilgore a QB rating of 44.04 and 2 TD's to 10 ints. while subbing for an injured Ricky Ray in 2016. 55.3 % completion though. I might pass on putting him on my fantasy team. I guess we need camp arms , Sunderland must see something in him.
    this is a head scratcher for me but I guess we are going to need more arms for camp.

vCash

Wonder if it might be a Jason Maas request on Kilgore. While he didn’t coach him with the Argos (leaving for Ottawa the same year), he could have very likely been involved in scouting him leading up to his signing.

Quote Originally Posted by BeaverSports View Post
    Wonder if it might be a Jason Maas request on Kilgore. While he didn’t coach him with the Argos (leaving for Ottawa the same year), he could have very likely been involved in scouting him leading up to his signing.
    Very true, there’s obviously something in his game that Maas feels he can work with. That said, pretty sure this is just an extra arm for camp.

vCash
    Blog Entries

I'm sure it's no worse than when we brought in Thomas Demarco for a camp a few years ago.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

Quote Originally Posted by OK14 View Post
    I'm sure it's no worse than when we brought in Thomas Demarco for a camp a few years ago.
    Last year it was Brett Smith, these 4th QB signings happen ever off-season.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Section N View Post

http://www.draftscout.com/ratings/ds...2014&genpos=QB

Name: Logan Kilgore
    College: Middle Tennessee Number: 10
    Height: 6-2 Weight: 213
    Position: QB Pos2:
    Class/Draft Year: rSr/2014
    40 Low: 4.79 40 Time: 4.89 40 High: 5.00

05/13/14 - New Orleans Saints announce 2014 rookie free agent class: Logan Kilgore – Quarterback, Middle Tennessee State State (6-3, 206): The California native transferred to Middle Tennessee State from Bakersfield College in 2010 and served as the Blue Raiders’ starter for three of his four seasons. He finished his career completing 692-of-1,135 passes (61.0 percent) for 7,849 yards with 53 touchdowns, starting all 39 contests he appeared in. As a senior in 2013, he started all 13 games and completed 216-of-355 passes for 2,507 yards and 16 touchdowns. - New Orleans Saints

12/30/13 - PLAYERS TO WATCH: Year One in Conference USA was more of the same for the Blue Raiders (8-4, 6-2) and coach Rick Stockstill. QB Logan Kilgore was the senior leader the Blue Raiders knew he would be, and he should be a big reason why any team would hate to draw MT in a bowl matchup. MT also won its final four games. - The Sports Xchange

12/01/13 - Logan Kilgore threw for 325 yards, completing 19 of 27 passes, and two touchdowns as Middle Tennessee overwhelmed the University of Texas at El Paso 48-17 Saturday. Kilgore, who completed 15 of 21 passes for 226 yards in the first half, struck quickly, hitting Marcus Henry on a 21-yard scoring pass at 10:56 in the first quarter. Jeremiah Bryson, who rushed for 120 yards on 15 carries, scored from the 10 at the beginning of the second quarter to give Middle Tennessee (8-4, 6-2 Conference USA) a 24-0 lead.
    The Blue Raiders led 34-7 at the half. Middle Tennessee amassed 629 total yards while limiting UTEP (2-10, 1-7) to 299. This was the fifth consecutive win of the season for Middle Tennessee. They now have back-to-back seasons of eight or more victories. Nathan Jeffery led the Miners, rushing for 140 yards on 20 carries. - AP Sports

11/10/13 - Shane Tucker rushed for 95 yards and two touchdowns, including a 48-yard breakaway sprint, to help drive Middle Tennessee to a 48-0 rout over Florida International on Saturday. The Blue Raiders (6-4, 4-2 Conference USA) hit hard and fast, reaching the end zone in their first two possessions and piling up all of their points in the first three quarters.
    Logan Kilgore passed for 269 yards and a touchdown, and rushed for a second. Corey Carmichael had 65 yards on 13 carries, including a TD punched in from the 1-yard line. Florida International (1-8, 1-4) had four turnovers, which the Blue Raiders converted into 17 points, including a 51-yard interception return by Kevin Byard. The Golden Panthers were held to just 91 yards rushing and 233 total yards, while Middle Tennessee racked up 556 total yards. - AP Sports

10/28/13 - WEEK 9 CONFERENCE USA OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Middle Tennessee senior QB Logan Kilgore was instrumental in orchestrating Middle Tennessee's 51-49 last-second victory over Marshall. The Rocklin, Calif., product led the Blue Raiders down the field 79 yards in the final 2:29 of the game and completed a nine-yard touchdown to Tavarres Jefferson to give MT the win with no time remaining. Kilgore completed 22 passes for 277 yards and four touchdowns. The 200-yard game was the 18th of his career, tying Clint Marks and Wes Counts for the all-time school-record. - C-USA football

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2014/0...gan-kilgore-2/

The New Orleans Saints made a splash in the undrafted free agent market following the 2014 NFL Draft to add a little competition at each position. One player to keep an eye on when training camp gets underway in late July is QB Logan Kilgore.

A product of Middle Tennessee State, Kilgore was a three-year starter with the Blue Raiders. As a sophomore in 2011, he completed 214 of 365 passes for 2,231 yards, 18 touchdowns and 12 interceptions. He continued his strong performance in the Sun Belt conference in 2012, totaling 2,571 yards, 16 scores with only six turnovers.

After the Blue Raiders made the switch to Conference USA play for Kilgore’s senior year, he went on to pass for 2,507 yards, finding the end zone 16 times. During those three years as a starter and three games played as a freshman, Kilgore racked up 7,849 yards and 53 touchdowns through the air with a career passer rating of 128.1.

He is an accurate quarterback who is best in the short game, but is not a strong pocket passer. He finds his receivers and delivers catchable balls, but his physical skills do not match to that of an ideal NFL quarterback.

Kilgore will be battling with Luke McCown and Ryan Griffin for the backup role to Drew Brees, but his odds of making the 53-man roster are slim to none. I believe Coach Sean Payton simply brought him in to get the best out of McCown and Griffin — that will truly be one of the great training camp battles to watch this summer.

Logan Kilgore is an outstanding leader, and proved it in college, but he is nothing more than a practice squad quarterback at the next level. He will need a miracle performance to even be considered for a job in the Big Easy.

Run the Ball up the gut around the horn it does not matter. We run we win what is so difficult to understand.

vCash

I believe going into this season Marshall was the last remaining original REDBLACK from their expansion draft. I believe he did suit up for every game they've played.

vCash
    Blog Entries

How does everybody predict the West after Free Agency ? Who finishes where 1-5 ?
    I think our Esks will be battling the Bombers for First with Bc,Sask and stumps fighting it out for 3-5

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by dealerd View Post
    How does everybody predict the West after Free Agency ? Who finishes where 1-5 ?
    I think our Esks will be battling the Bombers for First with Bc,Sask and stumps fighting it out for 3-5
    Stamps get benefit of the doubt as they still kept many of their key players, and they always seem to plug holes internally with ease, so they are still the favorites. Blue Bombers have a step up on the rest of the pack because of continuity. Esks/BC close with a decent chance to overtake Stamps or Bombers if chemistry clicks early. Sask is back of the pack.

vCash

Way too early, but I can't resist. Stamps get my #1 pick until proved otherwise, especially with stability at QB. I'll pick everyone else in a very tight race for second. Harris is going to work out on the field, although you can't underestimate what Reilly's loss means for the intangibles. That's why the Lions keep pace. The Bombers will be OK with their stability, but won't reach the next level. The greenwhites eventually fall to the bottom, but not until near the end of the season.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Way too early, but I can't resist. Stamps get my #1 pick until proved otherwise, especially with stability at QB. I'll pick everyone else in a very tight race for second. Harris is going to work out on the field, although you can't underestimate what Reilly's loss means for the intangibles. That's why the Lions keep pace. The Bombers will be OK with their stability, but won't reach the next level. The greenwhites eventually fall to the bottom, but not until near the end of the season.
    Stamps - kept their QB and damn near all continuity.... Huffs scouts ALWAYS have a good player to plug a hole.
    Lions - Mike is A LEADER. They got much better on defense (thanks to picking us clean) and Sutton is an absolute beast to try to stop.
    Eskimos - Offense should be okay,,, not great but okay. Defense will be in shambles with a new system and so many new faces in place.
    Gophers - well because..... they're a bunch of a$$hats of course! Questions at QB/oline and their defense just will not be the same without Jones.
    undefined

The Moz'

vCash

Stamps - The NFL didn't want Boweevil, so we are stuck with him.
    Esks. Harris career best numbers, the return of the aggressive ball hawking D
    BC - Reilly does well, but does not duplicate the numbers he had under Maas
    Winnipeg - Nichols goes down and Schriver shines - with a few growing pains.
    Sask. Collaros. 'Nuff said.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by eskimoses View Post
    Stamps - kept their QB and damn near all continuity.... Huffs scouts ALWAYS have a good player to plug a hole.
    Lions - Mike is A LEADER. They got much better on defense (thanks to picking us clean) and Sutton is an absolute beast to try to stop.
    Eskimos - Offense should be okay,,, not great but okay. Defense will be in shambles with a new system and so many new faces in place.
    Gophers - well because..... they're a bunch of a$$hats of course! Questions at QB/oline and their defense just will not be the same without Jones.
    I don't think continuity is a word to describe the Stamps this off-season. I'm not saying that they can't plug some of the holes, but they have lost Alex Singleton (NFL), Micah Johnson (FA), Spencer Wilson (FA), Ja'Gared Davis (FA), Ciante Evans (AAF), Davaris Daniels (FA), Marken Michel (NFL), Jameer Thurman (NFL), James Vaughters (NFL), Deron Mayo (retired), Tunde Adeleke (FA), Lemar Durant (FA), Patrick Levels (FA), and Maleki Harris.

By my count, they've only signed 2-3 current CFL free agents, so are either slow-playing things or looking to replace with guys new to the league. At least 9-10 of those listed were starters.

I can agree that the Stamps get the benefit of the doubt as GC champs, but when you also factor in losing Claybrooks as their DC, I don't think that they can be considered nearly the same team that ended the 2018 season. That said, I expect that they'll be running largely the same schemes, with the new DC being an internal hire.

---------

The Bombers get marks for the highest continuity in the west imo - same QB and backup, same coaching staff, and should be relatively in sync early on in the season while other teams are adjusting.

A few key losses on the OL, which was the strength of their team last year, but still anchored nicely by one of the best LTs in the game in Stanley Bryant, and a solid RT in Hardrick. Likely relying on Couture at Centre and Gray to step in at RG, with Neufeld at LG. Aside from Chung and Goossen, their biggest losses were likely Santos-Knox, Loffler and Fogg, with Loffler being the toughest to replace at near the same level. Holding them to the same standard as other teams though, they also lost Kienan Lafrance (FA), Ryan Lankford (FA), and Ian Wild (released), and still unsigned are Drake Nevis, Tristan Okpalaufo, Freddy Plesius and Weston Dressler.

With Harris turning 32 before the season, it's a valid question whether he'll be able to stand up to the workhorse role, and I don't see Flanders listed on their roster anymore, but Wpg has had an effective run game, and I don't expect that to change drastically. If there is a question on offence, besides how they fill the OL losses, it's likely at the receiving position, where Darvin Adams, Nic Demski, Drew Wolitarsky and Kenbrell Thomkins likely start, with Rashaun Simonise and Daniel Peterman platoon in a second NI spot, unless one of the newcomers step up. Defensively, D-line has solid anchors in Jeffcoat and Jefferson with Roh inside, and LB corps built around Bighill and Briggs should be good. Secondary has some veterans, and with an O'Shea team, you know that STs will be in the upper half of the league.

----------

The Esks cannot claim continuity, but I think most are happy with the changes to the coaching staff with bringing in Lolley, Tucker, Gass and Fields.

Hard to believe that there's a way to lose the top QB in the league and two of the top five receivers, a heart and soul MLB and your best DB... and still possibly feel good about your roster going into the season. With the way the pipeline has looked at WR the past few years, rolling out Ellingson, Daniels, Collins, Stafford, Smith and Adjei wouldn't have been a predictable outcome, but it's got an interesting level of proven play and depth, with guys like Elliott, Parker, Shaw, Shuler and Gibson competing along with some newcomers. Run game, with Gable, Robinson and Cooper looks good and has some depth, and the O-Line gets upgraded with the addition of SvR. If you have to lose Reilly, hard to imagine a better guy to step in than Harris, especially with his go-to receiver and a long connection with Maas. LB corps is upgraded in both talent and depth, D-line should remain solid due to retaining Boateng, Sewell and Bazzie, and while there are some questions in the secondary, you've got Orange and Hightower as veterans, a starting caliber Canadian in Colquhoun, and some guys like Taylor, Hunter, Glass, Onyeka, Beaulieu and Hoover that have a year or more of investment in them at the CFL level and hopefully make the next step forward.

Should take a little time to gel, but with bits of continuity (either guys used to playing together elsewhere - Dean/Unamba/Lolley or Harris/Ellingson/Maas) and a largely intact O-line and backfield, I don't think we should stumble too much out of the gate with - vs Mtl, vs BC, @Wpg, Bye, @BC, @Mtl and vs Tor as our first third of the season.

----------

The Lions may end up improving the most in the end due to the acquisition of Reilly... and Grymes was a great get for them too - but as for "picking us clean", it's a stretch when the only two others were Chris Edwards and Josh Woodman. While Sutton may be a beast, he signed in Toronto, not BC. They pick up Duron Carter, John White, Sukh Chungh, Lemar Durant, Maleki Harris, and Josh Stanford. Of the signings, Reilly is obviously key, and Grymes and Chungh are capable of playing at, or near, an all-star level. Perhaps they even have a lottery ticket in Duron Carter that pays off if they can get through to him and keep him on track, but they haven't exactly upgraded other positions with experienced talent for the most part. Ed is a proven commodity at finding talent, and he'll be put to the test to replace Micah Awe (FA), Manny Arceneaux (FA), Ricky Collins (FA), Cody Fajardo (FA), Maxx Forde (FA), Otha Foster (still available as a FA), Jonathon Jennings (FA), Travis Lulay (Retired), Jeremiah Johnson (FA), Shawn Lemon (FA), Bo Lokombo (FA), Ty Long (NFL), Ivan McLennan (FA), Jovan Olafioye (still a FA), Anthony Orange (FA), Anthony Parker (FA), Devier Posey (FA), Chris Rainey (FA), Winston Rose (FA), Tyrell Sutton (FA), Anthony Thompson (still a FA) and Cory Watson (FA). They also have to make decisions on Solomon Elimimian and potentially David Foucault who are under contract, but rumoured to be on the trading block.

If it's simply getting the best player at the most important position, they win free agency. That said, they're gambling heavily on a resurgent John White, with Brandon Rutley and Wayne Moore the only other CFL-experienced RBs on the roster currently. If the season opened tomorrow, Reilly would be throwing to Burnham, Carter, Shaq Johnson, Lemar Durant and one of Larry Cobb, Shakeir Ryan, Shaq Hill or another new comer. Cobb and Hill were both Esk cuts in the past two years. If they do move (or release) Solomon Elimimian, that leaves the likely starting LB corps as Jordan Herdman in the middle, Chris Edwards at SAM and Maleki Harris at WIL - I know that some have proposed that they no longer need Solomon, but that was at a time when it would have seemed that Awe and Foster might've been in the plans. The kicking game is fully likely to take a step back with the departure of Long, but if they can get two Canadians to do the job of one import, at 90% of his level, they'll likely be okay. Almost completely new coaching staff - big roster turnover - going to have their work cut out for them to hit the ground running.

---------

The Riders.

Downgrade in coaching staff.

No dramatic improvements on offence - running game was already decent so while Powell is an upgrade, it's not the real issue - Arceneaux could help, but unlikely to be ready before mid-season. QB position hasn't been addressed or improved. O-line looks capable but unspectacular.

D-line is solid despite the loss of Jefferson and Antigha, with AC Leonard and Micah Johnson coming in, but LBs don't jump out as a position of strength. Secondary is likely the strength of the team with Butler, Gainey, Marshall, Edem and Purifoy. I'm not convinced that Dickenson and Shivers can immediately step in for Jones without a backslide.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    I don't think continuity is a word to describe the Stamps this off-season. I'm not saying that they can't plug some of the holes, but they have lost Alex Singleton (NFL), Micah Johnson (FA), Spencer Wilson (FA), Ja'Gared Davis (FA), Ciante Evans (AAF), Davaris Daniels (FA), Marken Michel (NFL), Jameer Thurman (NFL), James Vaughters (NFL), Deron Mayo (retired), Tunde Adeleke (FA), Lemar Durant (FA), Patrick Levels (FA), and Maleki Harris.

By my count, they've only signed 2-3 current CFL free agents, so are either slow-playing things or looking to replace with guys new to the league. At least 9-10 of those listed were starters.

I can agree that the Stamps get the benefit of the doubt as GC champs, but when you also factor in losing Claybrooks as their DC, I don't think that they can be considered nearly the same team that ended the 2018 season. That said, I expect that they'll be running largely the same schemes, with the new DC being an internal hire.

---------

The Bombers get marks for the highest continuity in the west imo - same QB and backup, same coaching staff, and should be relatively in sync early on in the season while other teams are adjusting.

A few key losses on the OL, which was the strength of their team last year, but still anchored nicely by one of the best LTs in the game in Stanley Bryant, and a solid RT in Hardrick. Likely relying on Couture at Centre and Gray to step in at RG, with Neufeld at LG. Aside from Chung and Goossen, their biggest losses were likely Santos-Knox, Loffler and Fogg, with Loffler being the toughest to replace at near the same level. Holding them to the same standard as other teams though, they also lost Kienan Lafrance (FA), Ryan Lankford (FA), and Ian Wild (released), and still unsigned are Drake Nevis, Tristan Okpalaufo, Freddy Plesius and Weston Dressler.

With Harris turning 32 before the season, it's a valid question whether he'll be able to stand up to the workhorse role, and I don't see Flanders listed on their roster anymore, but Wpg has had an effective run game, and I don't expect that to change drastically. If there is a question on offence, besides how they fill the OL losses, it's likely at the receiving position, where Darvin Adams, Nic Demski, Drew Wolitarsky and Kenbrell Thomkins likely start, with Rashaun Simonise and Daniel Peterman platoon in a second NI spot, unless one of the newcomers step up. Defensively, D-line has solid anchors in Jeffcoat and Jefferson with Roh inside, and LB corps built around Bighill and Briggs should be good. Secondary has some veterans, and with an O'Shea team, you know that STs will be in the upper half of the league.

----------

The Esks cannot claim continuity, but I think most are happy with the changes to the coaching staff with bringing in Lolley, Tucker, Gass and Fields.

Hard to believe that there's a way to lose the top QB in the league and two of the top five receivers, a heart and soul MLB and your best DB... and still possibly feel good about your roster going into the season. With the way the pipeline has looked at WR the past few years, rolling out Ellingson, Daniels, Collins, Stafford, Smith and Adjei wouldn't have been a predictable outcome, but it's got an interesting level of proven play and depth, with guys like Elliott, Parker, Shaw, Shuler and Gibson competing along with some newcomers. Run game, with Gable, Robinson and Cooper looks good and has some depth, and the O-Line gets upgraded with the addition of SvR. If you have to lose Reilly, hard to imagine a better guy to step in than Harris, especially with his go-to receiver and a long connection with Maas. LB corps is upgraded in both talent and depth, D-line should remain solid due to retaining Boateng, Sewell and Bazzie, and while there are some questions in the secondary, you've got Orange and Hightower as veterans, a starting caliber Canadian in Colquhoun, and some guys like Taylor, Hunter, Glass, Onyeka, Beaulieu and Hoover that have a year or more of investment in them at the CFL level and hopefully make the next step forward.

Should take a little time to gel, but with bits of continuity (either guys used to playing together elsewhere - Dean/Unamba/Lolley or Harris/Ellingson/Maas) and a largely intact O-line and backfield, I don't think we should stumble too much out of the gate with - vs Mtl, vs BC, @Wpg, Bye, @BC, @Mtl and vs Tor as our first third of the season.

----------

The Lions may end up improving the most in the end due to the acquisition of Reilly... and Grymes was a great get for them too - but as for "picking us clean", it's a stretch when the only two others were Chris Edwards and Josh Woodman. While Sutton may be a beast, he signed in Toronto, not BC. They pick up Duron Carter, John White, Sukh Chungh, Lemar Durant, Maleki Harris, and Josh Stanford. Of the signings, Reilly is obviously key, and Grymes and Chungh are capable of playing at, or near, an all-star level. Perhaps they even have a lottery ticket in Duron Carter that pays off if they can get through to him and keep him on track, but they haven't exactly upgraded other positions with experienced talent for the most part. Ed is a proven commodity at finding talent, and he'll be put to the test to replace Micah Awe (FA), Manny Arceneaux (FA), Ricky Collins (FA), Cody Fajardo (FA), Maxx Forde (FA), Otha Foster (still available as a FA), Jonathon Jennings (FA), Travis Lulay (Retired), Jeremiah Johnson (FA), Shawn Lemon (FA), Bo Lokombo (FA), Ty Long (NFL), Ivan McLennan (FA), Jovan Olafioye (still a FA), Anthony Orange (FA), Anthony Parker (FA), Devier Posey (FA), Chris Rainey (FA), Winston Rose (FA), Tyrell Sutton (FA), Anthony Thompson (still a FA) and Cory Watson (FA). They also have to make decisions on Solomon Elimimian and potentially David Foucault who are under contract, but rumoured to be on the trading block.

If it's simply getting the best player at the most important position, they win free agency. That said, they're gambling heavily on a resurgent John White, with Brandon Rutley and Wayne Moore the only other CFL-experienced RBs on the roster currently. If the season opened tomorrow, Reilly would be throwing to Burnham, Carter, Shaq Johnson, Lemar Durant and one of Larry Cobb, Shakeir Ryan, Shaq Hill or another new comer. Cobb and Hill were both Esk cuts in the past two years. If they do move (or release) Solomon Elimimian, that leaves the likely starting LB corps as Jordan Herdman in the middle, Chris Edwards at SAM and Maleki Harris at WIL - I know that some have proposed that they no longer need Solomon, but that was at a time when it would have seemed that Awe and Foster might've been in the plans. The kicking game is fully likely to take a step back with the departure of Long, but if they can get two Canadians to do the job of one import, at 90% of his level, they'll likely be okay. Almost completely new coaching staff - big roster turnover - going to have their work cut out for them to hit the ground running.

---------

The Riders.

Downgrade in coaching staff.

No dramatic improvements on offence - running game was already decent so while Powell is an upgrade, it's not the real issue - Arceneaux could help, but unlikely to be ready before mid-season. QB position hasn't been addressed or improved. O-line looks capable but unspectacular.

D-line is solid despite the loss of Jefferson and Antigha, with AC Leonard and Micah Johnson coming in, but LBs don't jump out as a position of strength. Secondary is likely the strength of the team with Butler, Gainey, Marshall, Edem and Purifoy. I'm not convinced that Dickenson and Shivers can immediately step in for Jones without a backslide.
    GREAT post GWN!!!! For those of us starving for some CFL talk, this is a much needed and well thought out post. One thing I would add to the Edmonton side is Harris's comfort level with his blind side tackle. He knows what he's getting there and should be able to concentrate on his assignment without worrying about getting pasted to the turf. The Oline we are putting on the field will arguably be the best one we've had in awhile. I'm expecting our D to get stronger as the year goes but to come out of the gate a little slow.

As far as BC goes, while they are stronger and will have more consistency at the QB position, they will NEED to find a few value contracts or they will have some significant roster holes. This is where my internal battle came with resigning Reilly, the more money he gets, the less options you have for the rest of your roster.

vCash

If SirV and Bond can make some real chemistry, that is going to be a load to try and get around on the left side or through that B gap. MOD is no slouch at RG, and I thought Beard did admirably at C, improving on a decent performance in 2017 to be good in the middle of that line. RT will be interesting as I think that Draheim can be solid and if we can relegate Kelly to backup, that is one of the best overall lines we've seen over the past few years. I look forward to camp in a few months, if we can get that CBA nailed down between now and then.....
    Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Might as well join in on the fun:

1) Stamps... Nothing new to see here. Even with their personnel losses, the Hufnagel Pipeline will continue to churn out a whole bunch of studs in the making. Stamps end up repeating as Champs (reverse jinx).

2) Esks... The loss of Reilly is counterbalanced by a rejuvenated and restructured defense under Lolley. The rookies in the secondary need some time to unlearn the bad habits from Bene, but by Week 5, everything is business as usual. The Esks make it to the WF, but lose on a quarterback fumble after Harris is victimized by an uncalled helmet-to-helmet hit.

3) Lions... The Lions start strong, but Reilly's second-half woes from '17 and '18 resurface, keeping the Lions from truly going the distance. They make it to the WSF in Commonwealth and lose by a FG.

4) Bombers... Nichols falters early in the season, and ultimately loses the starters' job to Streveler by Week 5. The Bombers make the crossover solely on virtue of the Roughriders being a miserable failure.

5) Riders... Owen makes his long-awaited return to Regina for much of the first half. A strong secondary keeps the Riders in most of their games, but a combination of Collaros, a poor offseason, and coaching disarray add up to a last-place finish.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OK14 View Post
    Might as well join in on the fun:

1) Stamps... Nothing new to see here. Even with their personnel losses, the Hufnagel Pipeline will continue to churn out a whole bunch of studs in the making. Stamps end up repeating as Champs (reverse jinx).

2) Esks... The loss of Reilly is counterbalanced by a rejuvenated and restructured defense under Lolley. The rookies in the secondary need some time to unlearn the bad habits from Bene, but by Week 5, everything is business as usual. The Esks make it to the WF, but lose on a quarterback fumble after Harris is victimized by an uncalled helmet-to-helmet hit.

3) Lions... The Lions start strong, but Reilly's second-half woes from '17 and '18 resurface, keeping the Lions from truly going the distance. They make it to the WSF in Commonwealth and lose by a FG.

4) Bombers... Nichols falters early in the season, and ultimately loses the starters' job to Streveler by Week 5. The Bombers make the crossover solely on virtue of the Roughriders being a miserable failure.

5) Riders... Owen makes his long-awaited return to Regina for much of the first half. A strong secondary keeps the Riders in most of their games, but a combination of Collaros, a poor offseason, and coaching disarray add up to a last-place finish.
    I wonder if as a result of the AAF that we finally see a significant dent in that Hufnagel pipeline and for that matter all of the team's new recruits. That in conjunction with the unusually large number of available free agents may have made it the right time to be a significant player in the FA market. It might end up significantly hurting teams like the Stamps and Redblacks while helping clubs like the Lions and Esks. Should be an interesting upcoming season to say the least.
    Last edited by adb; 03-07-2019 at 08:51 AM.
    ôRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

If SirV and Bond can make some real chemistry, that is going to be a load to try and get around on the left side or through that B gap. MOD is no slouch at RG, and I thought Beard did admirably at C, improving on a decent performance in 2017 to be good in the middle of that line. RT will be interesting as I think that Draheim can be solid and if we can relegate Kelly to backup, that is one of the best overall lines we've seen over the past few years. I look forward to camp in a few months, if we can get that CBA nailed down between now and then.....
    This is the attitude we need!

Totally agree