Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Other Side of the Coin of Free Agency Splashes

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Critique The Other Side of the Coin of Free Agency Splashes

While a lot of EE fans here are happy, excited and in some cases giddy because of the signing made today, one has to look at some of the realities of free agent shopping at the level we did today. Before anyone rolls their eyes or continues with some of the backhanded shots, you can either dismiss this post, (like many did when people said that MR and others would leave), or you can use it as a sober touchstone for what may lie ahead. Your choice.

First, spending on a bunch of free agents is fun for a fan base. All we tend to see is the shiny new pieces that get added, while we are quick to dismiss the losses. That is sports fan human nature.

However when you add over half a dozen FA's you change the dynamic and leadership culture in the room. This may be good, this may be bad, but don't expect a room to gel into cohesion when you have a bunch of guys jockeying for their place, new or familiar, in the room. How does the trio of Ott guys who are used to leading in their own way, mesh with the Eskimo leaders? Do conflicts arise, or does it work out? Remains to be seen

From a broader perspective when you make a large amount of signings, depending on where your team is trending (up or down), you are re-setting the salary structure within your room. My biggest concern is that a first day free agent signing comes at a price premium. To add further, a lot of these deals are one year deals. Great if they under perform (from a cap manager's POV), cos you can easily move on, but it they have good years, then with in 12 months you have elevated the salary structure yet again within your room. We've seen other teams make big FA splashes over the years, only to see it not bear fruit 2 years later and the pieces move on, leaving just as many holes to fill.

That BS felt the need to go out and sign so many, like it or not, is a validation that we simply did not have the horses we once did, and in the past 2 years we have moved away from the method of talent acquisition and development in the way that Calgary has done it for some time. Lasting success comes from finding good young, cheaper talent and developing it. Calgary doesn't rush out and signs a bunch because they don't have to. They believe in their proven ability to find the next guy on their own. This remains a big question mark and the one BS has to answer.

So while we can congratulate BS for taking us off the 3-15 ledge today, if we don't start showing the ability to recruit and find entry deal talent, in the vein of the Whites, Grymes', Walkers, Zylstras, Williams, Laceys, Ladlers, etc.. then you will not sustain any level of success.
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash
    Blog Entries

Re: The Other Side of the Coin of Free Agency Splashes

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    While a lot of EE fans here are happy, excited and in some cases giddy because of the signing made today, one has to look at some of the realities of free agent shopping at the level we did today. Before anyone rolls their eyes or continues with some of the backhanded shots, you can either dismiss this post, (like many did when people said that MR and others would leave), or you can use it as a sober touchstone for what may lie ahead. Your choice.

First, spending on a bunch of free agents is fun for a fan base. All we tend to see is the shiny new pieces that get added, while we are quick to dismiss the losses. That is sports fan human nature.

However when you add over half a dozen FA's you change the dynamic and leadership culture in the room. This may be good, this may be bad, but don't expect a room to gel into cohesion when you have a bunch of guys jockeying for their place, new or familiar, in the room. How does the trio of Ott guys who are used to leading in their own way, mesh with the Eskimo leaders? Do conflicts arise, or does it work out? Remains to be seen

From a broader perspective when you make a large amount of signings, depending on where your team is trending (up or down), you are re-setting the salary structure within your room. My biggest concern is that a first day free agent signing comes at a price premium. To add further, a lot of these deals are one year deals. Great if they under perform (from a cap manager's POV), cos you can easily move on, but it they have good years, then with in 12 months you have elevated the salary structure yet again within your room. We've seen other teams make big FA splashes over the years, only to see it not bear fruit 2 years later and the pieces move on, leaving just as many holes to fill.

That BS felt the need to go out and sign so many, like it or not, is a validation that we simply did not have the horses we once did, and in the past 2 years we have moved away from the method of talent acquisition and development in the way that Calgary has done it for some time. Lasting success comes from finding good young, cheaper talent and developing it. Calgary doesn't rush out and signs a bunch because they don't have to. They believe in their proven ability to find the next guy on their own. This remains a big question mark and the one BS has to answer.

So while we can congratulate BS for taking us off the 3-15 ledge today, if we don't start showing the ability to recruit and find entry deal talent, in the vein of the Whites, Grymes', Walkers, Zylstras, Williams, Laceys, Ladlers, etc.. then you will not sustain any level of success.
    Those statements are fair and I believe that they can be equally applied to Ed out in BC. Also if I heard correctly a number of the contracts mentioned by BS during the press conference were more than 1 year IIRC ( a couple at 2 years and I thought one was 3 years) but I stand to be corrected there. All in all I feel that both GMs did well by their clubs on the day.
    ďRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Agree with this actually. I've always said that long term success is found on your own, not with poaching other players. Now this year may be different than most due to the sheer quantity of players on the market but lets see how he fills the remaining holes on the team, this is what will indicate if we are going to be long term contenders or free agent frenzie winners.

the reality of the situation is that Reilly wasn't coming back and we had cap space to spend, now we need to find some value signings.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

I wasn't happy to hear that he indicated that they basically blew their wad.
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Agreed but in a world of non-guaranteed contracts, that can change post camp. I am optimistic of the team we have on paper right now but lets hope some of the other recent signings push the vets.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Agreed but in a world of non-guaranteed contracts, that can change post camp. I am optimistic of the team we have on paper right now but lets hope some of the other recent signings push the vets.
    It can, but you've already set the salary bar within your room. You can only swing and miss in FA deals so many times before you create a bunch of inflated dollar expectations from guys who are earning their keep
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Some good points but this isn't the 2016 Edmonton Eskimos. A lot of the vets who came through and helped change the culture are gone now. Odell, Watkins, JC, Mike. Only Mondo is still around. We heard last year that the same cohesion was missing from the mix and we are at a point where we need that to reappear.

And on another point....BS was assistant GM on a Redblacks team that went out on free agency day in 2015 and completely reshaped their team from a 2-14 team by going after a bunch of free agents. That team wound up going to the Grey Cup that season and winning it the following season.

As I said...there is a danger involved but you can't note it without noting it has worked in the past. Difference is one of the men behind it working is now our GM...
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on

vCash

Good post. This is always the concern with major Free Agency movement and long term we can't rely on Free Agency to stock the cupboards as it is too expensive.

I think what we have seen over the past two months is the Eskimos finally moving on from the entire Rhodes/Hervey saga. Gone is the leadership core that Hervey built into this roster. Gone is the scouting staff that may have been playing to some agendas from a past leader. Gone is the questionable support coaching staff that Maas ended up with when he had slim pickings after the Jones affair that Maas tried to stick behind because they had at least been close.

I feel today is a major reset of the organization for better or worse. I trusted Hervey's vision more than I do Brock's but the reality is that the last two years were Brock trying to uphold the team built by Hervey. This is now 100% Sunderland's team and he is even free of the shackles of Rhodes.

I'm about as excited about this team as I've been in three years not because I'm convinced they are on the road to the Grey Cup, but I'm excited we can finally close the door on the ghost of the past and what may have been and can now look forward to what will be. If "what will be" ends up not being good enough this year, we'll have a new president that will be tasked with steering us towards a new future.
    Last edited by bone; 02-12-2019 at 03:34 PM.

vCash

You couldn’t give brock 1 day could you? 1 day! Lol

Tbf though you can say the exact same things by replacing edm with bc and Edmonton players with bc players..

I havent seen ed for all the light we shine on him do anything different last year nor this.. I don’t recall a single new gem found by ed on that bc roster it’s more eskimos now than we’re redblacks! Lol ( it’s prob not but u get the idea ) Ed’s doing the same thing as brock..

Credit to both imho ... brock has done us proud today.. this team and fan base could have been dejected and really at all time low..

Instead on the day reilly joins bc.. twitter is BUZZING WITH ESKIMOS NEWS!

Let him have a day diez... just 1

I agree with what your saying with locker room

vCash

He sort of said that but then clarified that they were done with big names and that they would be concentrating on depth players now.
    Is it game day yet?????

vCash

Last edited by Uncle Bobby; 02-12-2019 at 03:46 PM.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    You couldn’t give brock 1 day could you? 1 day! Lol

Tbf though you can say the exact same things by replacing edm with bc and Edmonton players with bc players..

I havent seen ed for all the light we shine on him do anything different last year nor this.. I don’t recall a single new gem found by ed on that bc roster it’s more eskimos now than we’re redblacks! Lol ( it’s prob not but u get the idea ) Ed’s doing the same thing as brock..

Credit to both imho ... brock has done us proud today.. this team and fan base could have been dejected and really at all time low..

Yup...we could have been the RedBlacks.
    ďRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash
    Blog Entries

As for the newbies and leadership in the locker room...well, there aren't a whole ton of leaders left in there aside from Mondo and CMC...so sure the dynamics are going to change but let's face it, the way it was last season seemed like the Esks were a shell of their former self and they needed the shake up. It sucks losing a guy like Mike that leads on the field and off it - but it looks like no matter what we did he wasn't coming back. (Thanks Len...)
    I'm optimistic for the first time in a few seasons and that's a good thing. We still have holes to fill but I trust that Brock and Jason know what they're doing and can get the ship righted now that Rhodes isn't screwing around with things.
    Just a quick shout out to Mr."Winning isn't everything" for pis*ing away not one but TWO HoF QB's. F*ck you Len and good riddance.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    You couldnít give brock 1 day could you? 1 day! Lol

I havent seen ed for all the light we shine on him do anything different last year nor this.. I donít recall a single new gem found by ed on that bc roster itís more eskimos now than weíre redblacks! Lol ( itís prob not but u get the idea ) Edís doing the same thing as brock..

Edm and BC are coming from 2 different directions so you can't interchange them. Ed's plan for today began in July of last year, and who he signed and how he got there was vastly different. I know he spent much of last year completely revamping their neg list, and building scouting profiles with TH, and putting a framework in place, much like he did in year one here.

Brock's had 2 years. This might have been his best day in that whole time. I expect far more than the ability to make it rain. I'm still waiting for Brock's White, McCoil, Lacey, Grymes, Ladler, etc... Haven't seen one yet. I'd be more than happy to be shown a bunch of guys that when I see them in camp I can look at them and say, " those are impact guys", and I keep waiting, thats all
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    As for the newbies and leadership in the locker room...well, there aren't a whole ton of leaders left in there aside from Mondo and CMC...so sure the dynamics are going to change but let's face it, the way it was last season seemed like the Esks were a shell of their former self and they needed the shake up. It sucks losing a guy like Mike that leads on the field and off it - but it looks like no matter what we did he wasn't coming back. (Thanks Len...)
    I'm optimistic for the first time in a few seasons and that's a good thing. We still have holes to fill but I trust that Brock and Jason know what they're doing and can get the ship righted now that Rhodes isn't screwing around with things.
    when you miss the playoffs, big changes should be expected.

- - - Updated - - -

Edm and BC are coming from 2 different directions so you can't interchange them. Ed's plan for today began in July of last year, and who he signed and how he got there was vastly different. I know he spent much of last year completely revamping their neg list, and building scouting profiles with TH, and putting a framework in place, much like he did in year one here.

Brock's had 2 years. This might have been his best day in that whole time. I expect far more than the ability to make it rain. I'm still waiting for Brock's White, McCoil, Lacey, Grymes, Ladler, etc... Haven't seen one yet. I'd be more than happy to be shown a bunch of guys that when I see them in camp I can look at them and say, " those are impact guys", and I keep waiting, thats all
    For discussion purposes only as I actually don't know but who were Ed's big finds last year? I still have hope for Cooper from last year and a few of the guys they signed recently but until I actually see them, I won't declare them "finds"

vCash

Diesel

I think you are spot on, there are a lot of risks moving forward.

For me, question is, if MR was going to leave, (For Hervey or for home) did BS have a lot of options for this year.

Long term they absolutely have to build the best scouting system, you are right that is the key to long term success.

vCash

My approach to today is the same each year when pre camp signings are announced. I stopped getting excited long ago and wait until I actually see them on the field.

- - - Updated - - -

when you miss the playoffs, big changes should be expected.

- - - Updated - - -

For discussion purposes only as I actually don't know but who were Ed's big finds last year? I still have hope for Cooper from last year and a few of the guys they signed recently but until I actually see them, I won't declare them "finds"
    They did bring up some nice pieces with the NFL cuts. As for the start of the year, much of the work was spent purging the type of guys Wally had in the pipeline and finding his type of guys. A direct quote to me in one area was " We got rid of all the midgets in the DB pipeline for starters..."
    - Dan Kepley

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Good post. This is always the concern with major Free Agency movement and long term we can't rely on Free Agency to stock the cupboards as it is too expensive.

I think what we have seen over the past two months is the Eskimos finally moving on from the entire Rhodes/Hervey saga. Gone is the leadership core that Hervey built into this roster. Gone is the scouting staff that may have been playing to some agendas from a past leader. Gone is the questionable support coaching staff that Maas ended up with when he had slim pickings after the Jones affair that Maas tried to stick behind because they had at least been close.

I feel today is a major reset of the organization for better or worse. I trusted Hervey's vision more than I do Brock's but the reality is that the last two years were Brock trying to uphold the team built by Hervey. This is now 100% Sunderland's team and he is even free of the shackles of Rhodes.

I'm about as excited about this team as I've been in three years not because I'm convinced they are on the road to the Grey Cup, but I'm excited we can finally close the door on the ghost of the past and what may have been and can now look forward to what will be. If "what will be" ends up not being good enough this year, we'll have a new president that will be tasked with steering us towards a new future.
    This is a great post!

And I agree with what Diez is saying too, but under the circumstances I can forgive them for going hard in FA. If this kind of FA activity becomes an annual trend then I would be a little nervous though.

vCash

I think Brock is in a "damned if he doesn't; damned if he does" scenario in some eyes. I'm no expert but I feel good about the changes and I'm looking forward to the new season.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

My approach to today is the same each year when pre camp signings are announced. I stopped getting excited long ago and wait until I actually see them on the field.

- - - Updated - - -

They did bring up some nice pieces with the NFL cuts. As for the start of the year, much of the work was spent purging the type of guys Wally had in the pipeline and finding his type of guys. A direct quote to me in one area was " We got rid of all the midgets in the DB pipeline for starters..."
    thanks for the info, will be interesting to see if the new league makes it harder to uncover guys like Zylstra

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    This is a great post!

And I agree with what Diez is saying too, but under the circumstances I can forgive them for going hard in FA. If this kind of FA activity becomes an annual trend then I would be a little nervous though.
    I fully understand BS blowing his wad. He just saw his boss essentially get run out of town, and knows he's on the same ledge now. You can go out on your shield or on your sword, so kudos to him for that. But if this is a strategy for roster building, well we've seen many examples of teams in this league try and fail repeatedly with this strategy. You can't make up for scouting, recruiting, and development in football. At any level
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Sorry Diez I respect the heck out of you but I am a glass half full not half empty guy. I look at the signings and see a stronger team and without Walker or The Duke Harris will probably run a more ball control offense in my opinion Rather than tossing 50-50 balls all game.
    Last edited by danlaurin; 02-12-2019 at 04:11 PM.
    Run the Ball up the gut around the horn it does not matter. We run we win what is so difficult to understand.

vCash

I think brocks strength is for days like to today! I think he’s very good at picking up vet pieces.. I’m not sure he has that same level of finding gems that ed has in his locker.. maybe that will develop maybe we don’t see it ...

Ur right on the aspects of it all but even U said.. this is brocks best day as an eskimo..

Hopefully the gems will come...

vCash

So instead of developing the next Grymes or Reilly for cheap, Hervey went and signed Grymes and Reilly at full value. Got it.

Every team needs to find the pieces to be successful. This is nothing new. IMHO, that is behind the Stamps' success. Someone leaves and they always find another to step right in.

vCash

This team did not win the cup last year, or the year before, or the year before. We missed the playoffs last year. We tried hard to keep our QB. We had no say in guys going to the NFL. It was time to remake the team in many ways and they did just that.

I feel a lot better about this team today than I did yesterday.

vCash

The one thing that bothers me about this is that there are often some really good value deals to be found on day 2 and beyond and it doesn't look like we will be grabbing any but I don't know for sure.

One thing that makes me excited for 2019 is the impact Canadian starters we have. Boateng, Arjen and Smith are ALL ratio busters

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post
    So instead of developing the next Grymes or Reilly for cheap, Hervey went and signed Grymes and Reilly at full value. Got it.

Every team needs to find the pieces to be successful. This is nothing new. IMHO, that is behind the Stamps' success. Someone leaves and they always find another to step right in.
    Ed has done the very same thing brock has done..

Has ed gone and found the next reilly? Or the next grymes or the next so and so.. no he went and signed those same guys!

Just like jones did in sask

Ed’s ability to find players isn’t in question, well not by me.. but in THIS situation ed in bc brock in edm both guys are just stacking up on vets..

Brock might have taken the spotlight off ed today.... and that’s something this fanbase wasn’t expectimg at 10pm last night!

- - - Updated - - -

The one thing that bothers me about this is that there are often some really good value deals to be found on day 2 and beyond and it doesn't look like we will be grabbing any but I don't know for sure.

One thing that makes me excited for 2019 is the impact Canadian starters we have. Boateng, Arjen and Smith are ALL ratio busters

I think we will still get pieces.. I think our big marquee signings are done though

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    This team did not win the cup last year, or the year before, or the year before. We missed the playoffs last year. We tried hard to keep our QB. We had no say in guys going to the NFL. It was time to remake the team in many ways and they did just that.

I feel a lot better about this team today than I did yesterday.
    And as for scouting, that area has been overhauled as well this off season. Hopefully it’s for good rather than bad, but we should have an idea in a few months.

vCash
    Blog Entries

We missed the playoffs last year so maybe some culture change is required.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
    We missed the playoffs last year so maybe some culture change is required.
    Very true!