Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Prez View Post
    Botang
    Smith
    MOD
    Colquhoun
    Beard
    CMC/Adjei/Behar

Who's Canadian #7 going to be?
    I'm wondering this myself. We might be getting ahead of ourselves anointing Smith as ratio breaking starter. High pedigree, and I'm hopeful, but let's temper expectations.

Other potential starter?
    -they released Neil King, so maybe a rookie to start at safety?
    -by signing Knox, it either means a 3-4 Defense and Konar starts. Or that they plan to pay Konar starting money to be a backup.
    -possibly they bring in a Canadian DT or have high hopes for Evan Gill.

vCash

Re: The Other Side of the Coin of Free Agency Splashes

Quote Originally Posted by popo View Post
    I'm wondering this myself. We might be getting ahead of ourselves anointing Smith as ratio breaking starter. High pedigree, and I'm hopeful, but let's temper expectations.

Other potential starter?
    -by signing Knox, it either means a 3-4 Defense and Konar starts. Or that they plan to pay Konar starting money to be a backup.
    My guess is 3 Canadians upfront on the OL. You have MoD and Beard counted but my guess is Rogers plays LT, Bond LG with Beard at C or RG MoD at RT. I think we've got 5 other Canadian OL on the roster to fill that RG spot.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    On one hand, I will give a hat tip to Brock (there Looner, I did it). The Esks had a ton of holes and Brock came out swinging. I am still not happy that Reilly is no longer an Esks. Much like the Ray trade, when you lose a player like Reilly was, it hurts the team, the City and the organization and will hurt for a long time. You don't fully replace him. But Brock was able to bring in Harris who was the best available option because Mitchell wasn't leaving Calgary. So cudos to him. But I do share some of Diesel's concerns. How are these guy going to fit together. I do have concerns about leadership. They lost a TON of Eskimo leadership and I think that matters. I do have concerns about having to go out in free agency and pick players from other teams vs finding your own guys. When you are signing guys away from other teams, the price is higher. There is always the concern that did the previous team get the best of that player for cheaper than what the Esks will get because like it or not lots of times you are paying for what the player did previous vs what he will do going forward. I really do hope all these guys work out because on paper, the team looks stronger. I think they lost a little at the QB position but Reilly is the best in the league in my opinion so that is going to happen. But I think they shored up other areas to hopefully compensate. So overall, I think Brock did pretty good.

What I do wonder about though is where these guys will fit in and more specifically the Canadian ratio. They went out and signed the best left tackle in the league who is American which makes me really happy. They strangely resigned Kelly plus they have Draheim. I have Draheim over Kelly by a lot so I am guessing Rogers on the left, Draheim on the right, not sure where Kelly fits. Hopefully cut to save some money. But then they signed Bond to play guard, another American. So that means they will have 3 Americans on the Oline, eliminating a Canadian spot. Then they go out and sign Dean to replace Sherritt. Good signing. Uamba is listed as an LB and really good so I assume he takes the place of Edwards at the SLB. Good signing. Then they go and sign Knox who is a really good WIL. All of these guys are Americans. So since you brought in Knox who is a WIL, you just eliminated Konar's spot who's Canadian. MY guess is they will get rid of him because you have to clear up salary and being a Canadian starter, he probably makes a lot.

So they eliminated a Canadian Oline spot by resigning Bond plus having 2 American tackles. They just eliminated a Canadian linebacker spot. They signed Smith so I assume he will be given a starting receiver spot. I guess they could start another Canadian at receiver but I think they need to shore up that because Behar isn't signed and they have Adjei who I am sorry, he's a back up. So I am just curious where the Canadians will go.
    Great post and I share some of your concerns but am much more settled today than I was a few weeks ago.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Thanks for the info hammer, I think you'll start to see more finds in the years coming.
    Sure hope so. When a team commits such a large percentage of their cap to two players as BC did with Reilly and Chungh the key to overall success depends entirely on the ability to get significant contributions and value out of young players working on entry level type deals. It's certainly that way in the NHL now. Tie up a bunch of cap in 3 or 4 players and you're dead in the water if young kids on entry level deals don't play significant roles. I'm sure most Oiler fans are coming to appreciate that.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    Sure hope so. When a team commits such a large percentage of their cap to two players as BC did with Reilly and Chungh the key to overall success depends entirely on the ability to get significant contributions and value out of young players working on entry level type deals. It's certainly that way in the NHL now. Tie up a bunch of cap in 3 or 4 players and you're dead in the water if young kids on entry level deals don't play significant roles. I'm sure most Oiler fans are coming to appreciate that.
    I have a lot of faith in your GM to do just that, ours....... I'm in wait and see mode as we are in the same boat as our cap is spent with still a few holes in the team, namely the secondary.

vCash

I have a lot of faith in your GM to do just that, ours....... I'm in wait and see mode as we are in the same boat as our cap is spent with still a few holes in the team, namely the secondary.
    Still waiting for eds first find in bc

It's now year 2!

We're in wait and see mode on our gm who is buying assets already groomed.. Ed did the same thing last year and is doing more of the same this..

It feels to me like Jones ( who i thought was a fantastic finder of talent ) who just went and got all the pieces he had found at Edmonton and took em to sask..

Brocks doing the same.. Eds doing the same

Except Reilly and grymes and White are 4 years older now...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Still waiting for eds first find in bc

It's now year 2!

We're in wait and see mode on our gm who is buying assets already groomed.. Ed did the same thing last year and is doing more of the same this..

It feels to me like Jones ( who i thought was a fantastic finder of talent ) who just went and got all the pieces he had found at Edmonton and took em to sask..

Brocks doing the same.. Eds doing the same

Except Reilly and grymes and White are 4 years older now...
    I think that's fairly typical as you go with what you know

vCash

I think that's fairly typical as you go with what you know
    It is but Brock gets slammed for it....

I'm not doubting ed.. That team in 14-15 was top notch.... One of the best assembled Eskimos teams since 2003...
    But at this moment ed and Brock are following similar paths

But eds cult will cut Brock down every turn

However u want to build a winner.. Just build it right!

vCash

It is but Brock gets slammed for it....

I'm not doubting ed.. That team in 14-15 was top notch.... One of the best assembled Eskimos teams since 2003...
    But at this moment ed and Brock are following similar paths

But eds cult will cut Brock down every turn

However u want to build a winner.. Just build it right!
    Agreed, forcing some, like me and you, to stick up for him. Eds cult says they are just telling the truth while we have our heads in the sand but I would suggest the agenda is blinding on that side. I can see some errors in Brocks ways (although I can't think of many at this point) but I can also think of several great moves hes made. The next step in me getting behind him is if he finds a few value rookie deals and I have to say that Briscoe may be one of those.

vCash

Agreed, forcing some, like me and you, to stick up for him. Eds cult says they are just telling the truth while we have our heads in the sand but I would suggest the agenda is blinding on that side. I can see some errors in Brocks ways (although I can't think of many at this point) but I can also think of several great moves hes made. The next step in me getting behind him is if he finds a few value rookie deals and I have to say that Briscoe may be one of those.
    Agree 100 per cent

Btw.. That ed cult comment is not mine.. Someone posted it on here and I thought it was funny!

vCash

Just wondering if anyone has seen any info regarding if we have held some money back for any players we released to get NFL tryouts. Ceresna, Mitchell and Williams. Ed always said when here that he held a bit back in case someone came free. Hopefully Sunderland kept some in a drawer somewhere even though good ones usually come north til around Labour Day. I can see Williams and Bryant wanting to hook up with Mike in BC but they might be kinda tight on the budget also.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has seen any info regarding if we have held some money back for any players we released to get NFL tryouts. Ceresna, Mitchell and Williams. Ed always said when here that he held a bit back in case someone came free. Hopefully Sunderland kept some in a drawer somewhere even though good ones usually come north til around Labour Day. I can see Williams and Bryant wanting to hook up with Mike in BC but they might be kinda tight on the budget also.
    I hope he saved some money as well but I doubt we'll ever find out as it doesn't serve us well to show our cards, cap wise, until we HAVE to.

vCash

Tbf when walker came back... We found the money...

Who else came back now??? And we found the money....

U would have to think if zylstra or Mitchell or williams don't stick... Brock will find the money

vCash

Tbf when walker came back... We found the money...

Who else came back now??? And we found the money....

U would have to think if zylstra or Mitchell or williams don't stick... Brock will find the money
    Lordy, I must be having a senior moment, how could I forget Z.

The thing that bothers me is some were constantly trying to make it a Brock vs Ed thing as if it's impossible to like both. It's not like Brock was the one who unceremoniously kicked Ed to the curb, he was just the guy coming in to try and pick up the pieces.

I've said this before but I don't think you'll find a single member on this board that wanted Ed Hervey gone.

I guess some just can't operate without drawing that line in the sand and shoehorning everyone into one category or the other.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd love to see Ceresna back, and given the high praise he had for Brock and Jason I have no doubt he will be back if he shakes lose down there.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    The thing that bothers me is some were constantly trying to make it a Brock vs Ed thing as if it's impossible to like both. It's not like Brock was the one who unceremoniously kicked Ed to the curb, he was just the guy coming in to try and pick up the pieces.

I've said this before but I don't think you'll find a single member on this board that wanted Ed Hervey gone.

I guess some just can't operate without drawing that line in the sand and shoehorning everyone into one category or the other.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd love to see Ceresna back, and given the high praise he had for Brock and Jason I have no doubt he will be back if he shakes lose down there.

Very well said!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Prez View Post
    Botang
    Smith
    MOD
    Colquhoun
    Beard
    CMC/Adjei/Behar

Who's Canadian #7 going to be?
    My guess is that they will have a Canadian at safety. Onyeka or the French kid they drafted last year.
    Is it game day yet?????

vCash

No specific knowledge, but much may depend on how the cap comes out in the new CBA. As was pointed out, for certain guys, you find a way to afford them, if they're interested in coming back. Duke, Zylstra or Mitchell would all be welcome additions, but I'm not counting on seeing any of them any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    Jake loved playing next to Almondo. Trevor Harris said that Jake had called him, vouching for the organization, the city and the facilities - said it swayed him that a guy no longer with the club and focused on new things would feel strongly enough to go out of his way to do that. They overlapped one year in Ottawa when Jake was a rookie.

He's likely a fit if he shakes loose.

Quote Originally Posted by TeqEEla View Post
    My guess is that they will have a Canadian at safety. Onyeka or the French kid they drafted last year.
    Jordan Beaulieu.

They've got a few years development into Hoover as well. Just because he didn't excel in his first trial by fire doesn't mean we should give up on him.

Cutting Neil King, when Woodman was a free agent, suggests that they may feel that they have some solution in house - it becomes more crucial that it is a Canadian position now with the ratio flexibility needed for the OL and LBs.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    I fully understand BS blowing his wad. He just saw his boss essentially get run out of town, and knows he's on the same ledge now. You can go out on your shield or on your sword, so kudos to him for that. But if this is a strategy for roster building, well we've seen many examples of teams in this league try and fail repeatedly with this strategy. You can't make up for scouting, recruiting, and development in football. At any level
    Every good general manager uses every tool at his disposal for roster building. Free agency is one tool. I can't imagine anyone was expecting Sunderland to replace the likes of Reilly, Walker, Grymes, Sherritt, Mitchell, etc. with young players on cheap contracts instead of skilled vets. Am I right?

Yesterday, he used the cap room he had to bring in pieces that could help his team. Looking around the CFL, most teams had close to 40 per cent of their guys headed to free agency, so I don't think it's necessarily taking a risk. Some of those guys lost, though they may have come into the CFL in Edmonton were re-signed — in a couple cases after being away for NFL looks — so it's not like they were constants before either. Things change and I think few are getting by with their own talent on entry deals.

And I really don’t think Hervey was doing anything Sunderland wasn’t doing in his first year. Every GM changes his negotiating list and sets up his own scouting system. The guy had one full off-season only and didn’t have his own people until now. Let’s see how it goes. I’ve seen quite a few American signings already. Some underestimate Jones’ own pipeline and influence on Hervey’s one Cup too.

You do have to have a system of finding and retaining young guys. I think Sunderland has done well to keep pieces like Boateng around so far and I do believe Ceresna will come back. He’s building a group. I think the fact that guys he and Lolley have history with jumped here speaks volumes too. It might even suggest Sunderland was the true architect in Ottawa. And they will be able to fit in affordable young players. If they have to, they cut salary. That’s how the CFL system works, sadly. If you find better, you can make a business decision.

Both are good GMs and both deserve credit. It seems like people want to fault Sunderland for recognizing his team had holes - some of his making, some not - and using his budget to fill them, while heaping praise on others for doing the same. Let’s let it go and move on.
    Last edited by BeaverSports; 02-13-2019 at 08:36 PM.

As a long time ESKS fan (without 8 million posts), The ESKS way back when, NEVER rebuilt a team, they RE-LOADED, and BROCK did exactly that

vCash

Seems funny. Brock goes out and signs players to fill in gaps from Sherritt retiring, losing players to the NFL and the Reilly defection and gets heat from some saying he isn't building the roster from within.

If he does nothing, then those same posters would complain he sat on his hands and didn't replace them. Can't win it seems.

The Esks appear to be a better team today than last week. Credit to Brock for that. But we won't know until the final roster is set and the season is done.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BeaverSports View Post
    Every good general manager uses every tool at his disposal for roster building. Free agency is one tool. I can't imagine anyone was expecting Sunderland to replace the likes of Reilly, Walker, Grymes, Sherritt, Mitchell, etc. with young players on cheap contracts instead of skilled vets. Am I right?

Yesterday, he used the cap room he had to bring in pieces that could help his team. Looking around the CFL, most teams had close to 40 per cent of their guys headed to free agency, so I don't think it's necessarily taking a risk. Some of those guys lost, though they may have come into the CFL in Edmonton were re-signed — in a couple cases after being away for NFL looks — so it's not like they were constants before either. Things change and I think few are getting by with their own talent on entry deals.

And I really don’t think Hervey was doing anything Sunderland wasn’t doing in his first year. Every GM changes his negotiating list and sets up his own scouting system. The guy had one full off-season only and didn’t have his own people until now. Let’s see how it goes. I’ve seen quite a few American signings already. Some underestimate Jones’ own pipeline and influence on Hervey’s one Cup too.

You do have to have a system of finding and retaining young guys. I think Sunderland has done well to keep pieces like Boateng around so far and I do believe Ceresna will come back. He’s building a group. I think the fact that guys he and Lolley have history with jumped here speaks volumes too. It might even suggest Sunderland was the true architect in Ottawa. And they will be able to fit in affordable young players. If they have to, they cut salary. That’s how the CFL system works, sadly. If you find better, you can make a business decision.

Both are good GMs and both deserve credit. It seems like people want to fault Sunderland for recognizing his team had holes - some of his making, some not - and using his budget to fill them, while heaping praise on others for doing the same. Let’s let it go and move on.

Damn good post fella!

vCash

As a casual unsophisticated Esks fan, going the “sign all the big names on FA Day #1” route is more appealing to my need for instant gratification than going the “develop within and hope for the best” route.

I know going the Stamps’ route is probably better long term, but I think that also requires scouts and other personnel who are good at recruiting and developing players, and Edmonton just doesn’t have that at the moment. They had a bit of that when EH, CJ, and PJ were here, but they’re all gone.

So, I personally prefer that BS go out and sign a bunch of vets who I have seen play pretty well at the CFL level than to try to go out and recruit and risk getting a bunch of players who end up being terrible.

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
    We missed the playoffs last year so maybe some culture change is required.
    I would argue the culture was changed already on Apr 7 2017
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    I would argue the culture was changed already on Apr 7 2017
    True, but perhaps over the past two years while Brock tried to hold the team together thinking they were close two cultures were emerging that weren't in sync. Now I'd argue this is 100% Brock's guys.

vCash

Good post and valid points by all...

Our team next season will need a few value contracts to be successful and players to step up in key positions. With the money spent we need a few 'cheap' players to either take a step forward or new recruit to grab a position and take off with it. I could see this at the position of DB, S and WR. THis will be the next test for BS to show his worth.

I'm not overly concerned with the amount of new faces on the team that we added in first 48 hrs of FA. Cant argue that losing Reilly and Sherritt will be a hit in the leadership group. That being said, after last season and missing the playoffs and many times a team that was frustrating to watch, change in my mind was needed.

This part of the offseason I give BS a thumbs up. His next step will be to find the next Ladler, Zylstra, grymes etc....

So far, so good in my mind.

My 3 cents

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by popo View Post

Other potential starter?
    My guess is Umamba will be moved to HB. Out LB trio will be Knox-Dean-Konar.

7 Nationals: 2OL - Beard/O'Donnell, 1 WR - Smith, 1 WR/FB, 1DE - Boetang, 1 LB - Konar, 1CB - Colquhoun.

That's my best guess. I think we go with 3 Internationals on OL to protect Harris. They don't resign Bond if he not being looked at to be a starter at the Guard position. Im sure Bond not the cheapest at he a former all-star that I felt played very well last season. I expect with a full training camp he will only get better. The thought of Bond and Rodgers side-by-side in intriguing.

With my scenario we can go International at safety and give the young draft picks from last season another year of seasoning. Safety has been a weak spot on our D for many years. I hope we upgrade this position with a big, long, mean and fast S. This is a position i feel that BS needs to find cheap and bring someone from the States that has pro football experience that can really bring the hammer from that position. CB - Colquhoun and Orange HB - Umamba and Hightower and S - ???

My 3 cents....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP12 View Post
    My guess is Umamba will be moved to HB. Out LB trio will be Knox-Dean-Konar.

7 Nationals: 2OL - Beard/O'Donnell, 1 WR - Smith, 1 WR/FB, 1DE - Boetang, 1 LB - Konar, 1CB - Colquhoun.

That's my best guess. I think we go with 3 Internationals on OL to protect Harris. They don't resign Bond if he not being looked at to be a starter at the Guard position. Im sure Bond not the cheapest at he a former all-star that I felt played very well last season. I expect with a full training camp he will only get better. The thought of Bond and Rodgers side-by-side in intriguing.

With my scenario we can go International at safety and give the young draft picks from last season another year of seasoning. Safety has been a weak spot on our D for many years. I hope we upgrade this position with a big, long, mean and fast S. This is a position i feel that BS needs to find cheap and bring someone from the States that has pro football experience that can really bring the hammer from that position. CB - Colquhoun and Orange HB - Umamba and Hightower and S - ???

My 3 cents....
    In his presser he mentioned that we have 6 guys that are capable of playing safety and I know a couple of them were american (Hunter and........)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    My guess is 3 Canadians upfront on the OL. You have MoD and Beard counted but my guess is Rogers plays LT, Bond LG with Beard at C or RG MoD at RT. I think we've got 5 other Canadian OL on the roster to fill that RG spot.
    Yes I realize I kept Kelly/ Draheim out of the starting lineup. I don't think either are starters. I hope we keep them for competition in camp, and unless they make huge strides, shake them loose.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Yes I realize I kept Kelly/ Draheim out of the starting lineup. I don't think either are starters. I hope we keep them for competition in camp, and unless they make huge strides, shake them loose.
    Yes and let's hope they can keep them out of the starting lineup as well.
    In Rod we trust