Thread: Mike Reilly Appreciation Thread

vCash

Attention Mike Reilly Appreciation Thread

Major reason we were in Grey Cup in 2015, and MVP winning that game.
    League’s MOP 2017.
    Guts, heart and glory.
    The face of the franchise.
    One of the truly great Eskimos.
    Difficult to see him leave.

All the best, Mike, and THANK YOU!!!
    We’ll always be cheering for you.
    Last edited by Moon1; 02-13-2019 at 02:01 PM.

vCash

Re: Mike Reilly Appreciation Thread

Can't beat the OP. Thanks Mike
    WALTER IS MY HERO!!

vCash
    Blog Entries

Thank you, Mike.

So sorry we didn't get you more than one championship.

All the best in BC.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

Good luck to Mike in BC. Just don't play well against us, ok?

You will be missed here for sure.

vCash

I won't forget 2015, that's for sure. I live in Winnipeg, the Grey Cup was here, and I got to experience that live with my older brother who encouraged me to be an Eskimos fan growing up. And considering the amount of drug issues he has now, I look at that day as one of our last great moments together. So personally, that Championship means a lot as a fan to me and he was the leader on that team.

With that said, his talents were extremely mismanaged here the last 3 years. However, this team had a ton of talent in 2017 and he showed up small in a lot of significant moments, especially in that WCF against Calgary & down the stretch of this last season. He's got no one else to blame but himself for not winning here the last couple years. Of course, he's not the lone reason. Len Rhodes set this franchise back years but even through all that, there was a chance to steal an extra Grey Cup win in one of the last 2 seasons.

He certainly could have handled the last year or so better and been more transparent with the Eskimos in my opinion. But again, I don't blame him for leaving. The direction of this franchise at the top is in question. In BC, he has trust in the people above him. That means something.

All the best to him and his wonderful family.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by EsksTMac View Post
    I won't forget 2015, that's for sure. I live in Winnipeg, the Grey Cup was here, and I got to experience that live with my older brother who encouraged me to be an Eskimos fan growing up. And considering the amount of drug issues he has now, I look at that day as one of our last great moments together. So personally, that Championship means a lot as a fan to me and he was the leader on that team.

With that said, his talents were extremely mismanaged here the last 3 years. However, this team had a ton of talent in 2017 and he showed up small in a lot of significant moments, especially in that WCF against Calgary & down the stretch of this last season. He's got no one else to blame but himself for not winning here the last couple years. Of course, he's not the lone reason. Len Rhodes set this franchise back years but even through all that, there was a chance to steal an extra Grey Cup win in one of the last 2 seasons.

He certainly could have handled the last year or so better and been more transparent with the Eskimos in my opinion. But again, I don't blame him for leaving. The direction of this franchise at the top is in question. In BC, he has trust in the people above him. That means something.

thanks for sharing your story EsksTMac, I lost a brother at a young age (he was 34) due partly to his substance abuse issues, he taught me to appreciate what you have and never take it for granted.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

Mike was the man. I bought his jersey and wore it proudly to every game. Thanks for the 2015 Grey Cup, it was a great celebration. I wish there were more with Mike at the helm.

But time to move on. And seeing the contract he got from BC, I am relieved as hell that the EEFC didn't get him signed for a similar contract. That contract will not look good in years 3 & 4.

Thanks for the memories Mike !!
    ----------------------
    "When you're playing good football, it's good football and if you don't have good football, then you're not really playing good football" - John Madden

vCash

Thanks for everything mike!

A true eskimo

Once an eskimo ........

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by EsksTMac View Post

I'm sorry about your brother TMac, I had two adopted children that went down that drug road it's tough it really is. If you ever need someone to talk to that understands it don't hesitate to reach out.
    In Rod we trust

vCash
    Blog Entries

Once an Eskimo... Should have had better results here but hands were tied from above so...
    Glad you got a ring here but sorry to say, hope you don't get any in BC. (only because that means we didn't win...)
    Just a quick shout out to Mr."Winning isn't everything" for pis*ing away not one but TWO HoF QB's. F*ck you Len and good riddance.

vCash
    Blog Entries

I will always appreciate MR for what he gave to the EEFC. He was a warrior and left everything on the field for us and bleed green and gold for 6 years. AFAIC one of the finest leaders to have ever worn our colors.

That being said while I wish him the best of luck on an individual basis I hope the BC Lions as a football team suck along with every other team in the west outside of my beloved Esks and that we do everything in our power within the rules to knock the snot out of the Leos each and every time we play them. Game on.
    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

Steve Vale is offline Wear some golf shoes, otherwise we'll never get out of this place alive.
    Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
    vCash

Thanks Mike for everything. All the best with the Leos, just not on gamedays versus the Green and Gold.
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

vCash

Thanks Mike, you are true competitor. Best of luck in BC.
    " To alcohol, the cause of and solution to all life's problems"

-Homer Simpson

vCash

Best of luck to you Mike, I hope the move works for you and thanks for the years you gave us hope.
    Edmonton Eskimos.
    Western Division 1st place: 23—1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2002, 2003, and 2015
    Western Division Champions: 23—1952, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1960, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1986, 1987, 1990, 1993, 1996, 2002, 2003, 2005 and 2015
    Grey Cup championships: 14—1954, 1955, 1956, 1975, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1987, 1993, 2003, 2005 and 2015

vCash

Dear Mike Reilly:

Get bent.

That is all.

kidding.. best of luck in BC - I'm sure there will be a fair amount of Esks fans cheering for you - just not against us.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    Dear Mike Reilly:

Get bent.

That is all.

kidding.. best of luck in BC - I'm sure there will be a fair amount of Esks fans cheering for you - just not against us.
    I will be cheering for him against calgary and sask, that's about it.

Sad to see him go as he is one of my all time favorites but he chose to leave so he's the enemy now. I cheer for the Eskimos not any one individual player.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

Thanks Mike for everything.Your the type of man you tell your kid to grow up like. Very few
    in professional sports you can say that about. I even like your hats.

Opus is offline Then start asking the right ******* questions.

Super Moderator

vCash

Thanks for everything Mike.

The words of appreciation should come very easy, but in truth they are falling short for me. I guess it is because of the indelible mark you made since you arrived. Starting out as a reckless runner, with a devil may care attitude; you cemented your nickname of the warrior. As you matured as a primary pivot, you rounded into the complete CFL quarterback. Where you excelled on the field, you also defined class off of it. You made us forget the pain of losing a future HoFer to a madmans ego.

It sucks to hear the comments and the adverts of you signing back in BC. I realise its necessary to play to the crowd there, but at the same time I can't help but think about an opportunity missed. I get that you believe in Ed to build a winner. I do as well...and it plays to your loyalty, and the loyalty that Rhodes threw away to salve his own fragile ego. You may win another title with the team Ed has assembled, but a spot on the wall here as a legend for all time as an Eskimo is now perhaps unlikely.....and that's a shame.

I will always be grateful for your time here. Everything you and your father did for me and my boys will never be forgotten. I wish you and all of your family the best of fortune. You will always have a home here.

You too Pat.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Opus View Post
    Thanks for everything Mike.

The words of appreciation should come very easy, but in truth they are falling short for me. I guess it is because of the indelible mark you made since you arrived. Starting out as a reckless runner, with a devil may care attitude; you cemented your nickname of the warrior. As you matured as a primary pivot, you rounded into the complete CFL quarterback. Where you excelled on the field, you also defined class off of it. You made us forget the pain of losing a future HoFer to a madmans ego.

It sucks to hear the comments and the adverts of you signing back in BC. I realise its necessary to play to the crowd there, but at the same time I can't help but think about an opportunity missed. I get that you believe in Ed to build a winner. I do as well...and it plays to your loyalty, and the loyalty that Rhodes threw away to salve his own fragile ego. You may win another title with the team Ed has assembled, but a spot on the wall here as a legend for all time as an Eskimo is now perhaps unlikely.....and that's a shame.

I will always be grateful for your time here. Everything you and your father did for me and my boys will never be forgotten. I wish you and all of your family the best of fortune. You will always have a home here.

You too Pat.
    Actually once he calls it a career IMO based on what he has accomplished he should go on the wall and so should guys like Damon Allen and Matt Dunnigan as far as I'm concerned.
    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

Opus is offline Then start asking the right ******* questions.

Super Moderator

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    Actually once he calls it a career IMO based on what he has accomplished he should go on the wall and so should guys like Damon Allen and Matt Dunnigan as far as I'm concerned.
    Its their exclusions to this point that makes me doubt the possibility.

Whether they should or not is a good topic for debate, but up to now it hasn't been the case.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.