Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, who becomes backup to Harris?

vCash

Buying So, who becomes backup to Harris?

The Esks went out and got likely the best available option to replace Mike Reilly in Trevor Harris. I’d expect they’re not going to pay a big salary for another year of an aging Kevin Glenn as backup after he didn’t play a down last year either.

So, what are the options? Danny O’Brien? A free agent signing or trade for another established guy? Someone on the negotiation list already? A new recruit? Who do we like?

vCash
    Blog Entries

Re: So, who becomes backup to Harris?

Quote Originally Posted by BeaverSports View Post
    The Esks went out and got likely the best available option to replace Mike Reilly in Trevor Harris. I’d expect they’re not going to pay a big salary for another year of an aging Kevin Glenn as backup after he didn’t play a down last year either.

So, what are the options? Danny O’Brien? A free agent signing or trade for another established guy? Someone on the negotiation list already? A new recruit? Who do we like?
    from what i heard during his press conference yesterday sounds like it will be obrien and someone from their neg list. hopefully harris stays healthy
    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    from what i heard during his press conference yesterday sounds like it will be obrien and someone from their neg list. hopefully harris stays healthy
    Trevor and Danny are friends from Ottawa days, and Danny's had plenty of time in this offence and has been working his butt off this off-season to prove ready for the number two role. Brock was, as you suggest, highly complementary about him and talked about him confidently. Whereas I was feeling the need for a guy like KG if it were Jennings coming, I think Danny will be able to fulfill that role for Trevor well.

3rd string right now would seem to lean toward Briscoe. In his presser the other day, I believe that Brock pointed out that Briscoe beat out Streveler two years running in college for the Walter Payton award. Could be an interesting developmental/short yardage guy as a 3.

Of course, I would expect a few more QBs brought to camp so things may change. I agree that they won't likely break the bank on the position, and their pursuit (or lack thereof) of an experienced guy will speak to their confidence in O'Brien. Remember - they see him day in and day out, whereas most of us see him for 4-5 series a few times a year.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    Trevor and Danny are friends from Ottawa days, and Danny's had plenty of time in this offence and has been working his butt off this off-season to prove ready for the number two role. Brock was, as you suggest, highly complementary about him and talked about him confidently. Whereas I was feeling the need for a guy like KG if it were Jennings coming, I think Danny will be able to fulfill that role for Trevor well.

3rd string right now would seem to lean toward Briscoe. In his presser the other day, I believe that Brock pointed out that Briscoe beat out Streveler two years running in college for the Walter Payton award. Could be an interesting developmental/short yardage guy as a 3.

Of course, I would expect a few more QBs brought to camp so things may change. I agree that they won't likely break the bank on the position, and their pursuit (or lack thereof) of an experienced guy will speak to their confidence in O'Brien. Remember - they see him day in and day out, whereas most of us see him for 4-5 series a few times a year.
    hopefully he shows well in preseason. i haven't been high on him because i haven't seen anything to get excited about in the limited reps he's had and between ottawa and edmonton he's been in the league for quite awhile now

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

I expect Danny O'Brien to be our number 2, but I'm really excited to see Jeremiah Briscoe in pre-season.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

I’d still take a look at bridge

vCash

One thing about Harris is he does seem to get nicked up a little. Not a ton but the Esks are pretty used to Reilly getting absolutely crushed and getting up over and over again. So they might actually need a decent back up for a change. I am not sure O'Brien is that guy. Maybe.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    I’d still take a look at bridge
    I am not sure that Bridge is good enough to play to be honest.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

That’s fair Q..

Honestly I feel the same way about O’Brien

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    That’s fair Q..

Honestly I feel the same way about O’Brien
    I definitely feel the same about O'Brien.

vCash

I don't remember seeing much from O'Brien except the first year of the redblacks I think he did some kind of onside quick kick punt play that went for a td against saskatchewan but thats' all I know of him tbh.
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    One thing about Harris is he does seem to get nicked up a little. Not a ton but the Esks are pretty used to Reilly getting absolutely crushed and getting up over and over again. So they might actually need a decent back up for a change. I am not sure O'Brien is that guy. Maybe.

- - - Updated - - -

I am not sure that Bridge is good enough to play to be honest.
    Harris has been pretty durable, but you're right - he's had a few injuries. Off the top of my head, there was a broken finger that cost him time in 2016 when Burris was still around, and I think a knee in 2017 that cost him a couple games. Played 15 games in 2017 and 17 last year before being a healthy scratch for the last one I think.

Last year, he was playing behind a better O-line than we had I think, and while we should be improved at LT, and hopefully overall in pass protection, putting anyone else into the spot that Mike was in last year would be a recipe for getting them killed it would seem. Trevor's not immobile, but he doesn't have the same threat to run that Reilly does, but I don't have a good enough read on whether he also has a tendency to hold onto the ball as long as Reilly does - sometimes causing the punishment he takes to try and make a play.

I want Bridge to succeed - I really feel that it's time that we had a Canadian QB earn the spotlight - but I'm not sure whether he's been brought along the right way... almost rushed into action that he wasn't prepared for. With O'Brien, none of us have seen enough to make a fully informed opinion, as he's been somewhat sheltered behind other QBs but hopefully has developed the mental side of the game. With Bridge, while ultra-athletic, he's had a bigger sample size to judge him on, and it's come off as sandlot-ish to many. Not to say that folks give up on him, but I'm seeing him more as a package-based QB than on the path to starting. Will be interesting to see how long he's out there before a club takes a chance on him.

vCash

Harris has been pretty durable, but you're right - he's had a few injuries. Off the top of my head, there was a broken finger that cost him time in 2016 when Burris was still around, and I think a knee in 2017 that cost him a couple games. Played 15 games in 2017 and 17 last year before being a healthy scratch for the last one I think.

Last year, he was playing behind a better O-line than we had I think, and while we should be improved at LT, and hopefully overall in pass protection, putting anyone else into the spot that Mike was in last year would be a recipe for getting them killed it would seem. Trevor's not immobile, but he doesn't have the same threat to run that Reilly does, but I don't have a good enough read on whether he also has a tendency to hold onto the ball as long as Reilly does - sometimes causing the punishment he takes to try and make a play.

I want Bridge to succeed - I really feel that it's time that we had a Canadian QB earn the spotlight - but I'm not sure whether he's been brought along the right way... almost rushed into action that he wasn't prepared for. With O'Brien, none of us have seen enough to make a fully informed opinion, as he's been somewhat sheltered behind other QBs but hopefully has developed the mental side of the game. With Bridge, while ultra-athletic, he's had a bigger sample size to judge him on, and it's come off as sandlot-ish to many. Not to say that folks give up on him, but I'm seeing him more as a package-based QB than on the path to starting. Will be interesting to see how long he's out there before a club takes a chance on him.
    At this point I'm comfortable going with O'Brien as the back up as he has spent more than enough time in the system to know it. The pressure of not having the Grey cup in Edmonton this year should alleviate the need for a Kevin Glenn situation. I say run with Obrien and open up the competition for the #3 job which I would like to see a guy like Briscoe sneak into the lineup as.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

O’Brien is here because he knows Jason’s system inside and out.. prob every detail .. from Ottawa to Edmonton and even iirc got released restructured and brought back..

I actually, the more I think about it.. think O’Brien will get the 2 gig this year... he’s gotta know where the ball has to be.. it’s a case of can he get it there’s..

We will see ..

I think you will get your wish with O’Brien at 2 gwn

vCash

My big concern with O'Brien is he's been in the league since 2014 where he started with Ottawa. He spent 3 seasons in Ottawa and the last 2 with the Esks. Maas was the OC in Ottawa for the 2015 season. So O'Brien has had Maas as a coach and been in Maas's system for most of his career and he hasn't been able to elevate much past the 3rd string QB. For the 2018 season, O'Brien would have been going into his 5th pro season and like I said, he played under Maas for most of his career yet the team felt they needed to bring in Glenn to be the back up. So I just wonder if he can be anything more than a 3rd stringer.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

My big concern with O'Brien is he's been in the league since 2014 where he started with Ottawa. He spent 3 seasons in Ottawa and the last 2 with the Esks. Maas was the OC in Ottawa for the 2015 season. So O'Brien has had Maas as a coach and been in Maas's system for most of his career and he hasn't been able to elevate much past the 3rd string QB. For the 2018 season, O'Brien would have been going into his 5th pro season and like I said, he played under Maas for most of his career yet the team felt they needed to bring in Glenn to be the back up. So I just wonder if he can be anything more than a 3rd stringer.
    possible that you are right as I haven't seen enough of him to refute it but I also am not comfortable saying he CAN'T be the #2. This is the put up or shut up year for him in my eyes. He's earned the #2 spot just based on experience, now lets see if he can handle it.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Gotta say I agree. Of the few reps I've seen I wonder if he has the physical tools or the mindset to play QB for an extended period of time in the CFL. I'm sure he is a good teammate and knows the system inside out but maybe he turns out to be a better coach than a QB say like a Ryan Dinwiddie. The esks might just not be in a position to spend very many dollars in the backup QB spot and as a result may be forced to go with O'Brien/rookie neg list player behind Harris. If they had the dollars I'd rather have a Glenn or Bridge (who has shown me more in game action) but it might just not be an option. If O'Brien shows me some ability in upcoming preseason games I'll feel a lot better otherwise fingers crossed that TH stays healthy which a dominant oline and running game would help with.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    possible that you are right as I haven't seen enough of him to refute it but I also am not comfortable saying he CAN'T be the #2. This is the put up or shut up year for him in my eyes. He's earned the #2 spot just based on experience, now lets see if he can handle it.
    I don't agree that you just hand him the back up job strictly because he's been around awhile. I would nice if the guy had some experience and knew the system but you should be giving the guy who gives your team the best chance to win if/when he is in there. I am not saying he can't do the job, all I am saying is I am a bit skeptical just because he's going into year 6 of his pro career and to date, he hasn't elevated. The Esks had an open back up job last year and while people can say "he could have competed for the job in camp", it's not like they signed Glenn after the preseason. Glenn was signed long before camp so realistically it was his job before the first practice. So they clearly didn't think O'Brien was capable of being the #2.

vCash

I don't agree that you just hand him the back up job strictly because he's been around awhile. I would nice if the guy had some experience and knew the system but you should be giving the guy who gives your team the best chance to win if/when he is in there. I am not saying he can't do the job, all I am saying is I am a bit skeptical just because he's going into year 6 of his pro career and to date, he hasn't elevated. The Esks had an open back up job last year and while people can say "he could have competed for the job in camp", it's not like they signed Glenn after the preseason. Glenn was signed long before camp so realistically it was his job before the first practice. So they clearly didn't think O'Brien was capable of being the #2.
    I think you mistook what I said, I wouldn't hand him the job, no one gets that right, I would suggest he's earned the right to be the penciled in #2 but there is still plenty of time and reps before game 1 to decide that. I will say that i would be far more comfortable keeping him around to help Harris and whoever the #3 will be as he's been around the system for a long time and it will help to have some experience.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    I expect Danny O'Brien to be our number 2, but I'm really excited to see Jeremiah Briscoe in pre-season.

Personally, I hope he's good enough in training camp to prove he's number 2. I would start Harris for the home game, let him play until halftime. The road game, I'd start Briscoe and potentially play him the whole game. See if he's ready.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    Gotta say I agree. Of the few reps I've seen I wonder if he has the physical tools or the mindset to play QB for an extended period of time in the CFL. I'm sure he is a good teammate and knows the system inside out but maybe he turns out to be a better coach than a QB say like a Ryan Dinwiddie. The esks might just not be in a position to spend very many dollars in the backup QB spot and as a result may be forced to go with O'Brien/rookie neg list player behind Harris. If they had the dollars I'd rather have a Glenn or Bridge (who has shown me more in game action) but it might just not be an option. If O'Brien shows me some ability in upcoming preseason games I'll feel a lot better otherwise fingers crossed that TH stays healthy which a dominant oline and running game would help with.
    They're valid concerns, but I think that there are two ways one can look at it...

1) He's been around long enough without elevating that he's likely reached his peak and won't elevate.

or

2) He's been around long enough under essentially one coach, Jason Maas, who knows a thing or two about QBing in the CFL, and he sees something worthy of confidence in him to bring him back for another season.

Last year, I wanted to keep him around because of the intangibles, and I didn't see Kline being ready for the next step from the game action he saw in the pre-season. I felt that his role was more about supporting the starter, as I figured Reilly to go wire to wire with Glenn as insurance.

This year, I think you have O'Brien compete and show that he brings what you want from the backup role... that is, what the coaches want from it. That could be a guy that they see developing into a starter, that could be a guy that makes the starter better, that could be a guy that is able to step in if there's an injury, that may be a guy capable of running a package or it could be a combination of them. Maas and Maksymic know a lot about Danny O'Brien. As fans, we know what we see in limited pre-season action, often playing with backups. I certainly would like to see some competition to make him prove he's ready to take on the number two role and not hand it to him.

vCash

They're valid concerns, but I think that there are two ways one can look at it...

1) He's been around long enough without elevating that he's likely reached his peak and won't elevate.

or

2) He's been around long enough under essentially one coach, Jason Maas, who knows a thing or two about QBing in the CFL, and he sees something worthy of confidence in him to bring him back for another season.

Last year, I wanted to keep him around because of the intangibles, and I didn't see Kline being ready for the next step from the game action he saw in the pre-season. I felt that his role was more about supporting the starter, as I figured Reilly to go wire to wire with Glenn as insurance.

This year, I think you have O'Brien compete and show that he brings what you want from the backup role... that is, what the coaches want from it. That could be a guy that they see developing into a starter, that could be a guy that makes the starter better, that could be a guy that is able to step in if there's an injury, that may be a guy capable of running a package or it could be a combination of them. Maas and Maksymic know a lot about Danny O'Brien. As fans, we know what we see in limited pre-season action, often playing with backups. I certainly would like to see some competition to make him prove he's ready to take on the number two role and not hand it to him.
    another thing to consider is that him and Harris are really good friends and when your starter in new to the system (will be similar to what he's been in but always a few differences) it helps to have someone you like to chat with be there for you. There are limitation between coach/player interactions but there aren't between player/player.

vCash

Last year Maas had Reilly in game situations where he should have put in Glenn/Obrien and due to his stubbornness, he didn't. IMHO O'Brien hasn't shown anything to give me confidence that he is our #2 (albeit he has been given an incredibly smaller sample size) and quite frankly there were several times last year where Glenn should have been given a shot to play. Outside of Obrien doing the holding duties on FG Glenn has far more experience in this league and more mobility than his younger counterpart. He would BY FAR be a better #2 at this point than Obrien who has been in the league for several years and as previously been pointed out has had a measure of continuity in instruction but hasn't shown any significant development. Kline and Briscoe as a #3 battle would make more sense with a lower price tag Glenn backing up Harris.

And whoever it was that mentioned Shawn Fleming taking over on the EEFC board............ FRIGGIN' AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    undefined

The Moz'

vCash
    Blog Entries

Kline. Is. RETIRED.

Not an option anymore.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

Unsigned QBs with experience are in short supply right now. There's Ray and Lulay (both of whom are seriously contemplating retirement), Glenn (who should retire), Bridge and Moniz. Slim pickings.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    Unsigned QBs with experience are in short supply right now. There's Ray and Lulay (both of whom are seriously contemplating retirement), Glenn (who should retire), Bridge and Moniz. Slim pickings.
    Montreal does have four QB's with (limited) CFL experience on their roster - Manziel, Pipkin, Matthews, & Adams Jr. I'm sure you could pry one of them loose from the Als if you wanted to go that route.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Montreal does have four QB's with (limited) CFL experience on their roster - Manziel, Pipkin, Matthews, & Adams Jr. I'm sure you could pry one of them loose from the Als if you wanted to go that route.
    And Shiltz.

vCash

Pipkin is guy who if I could I’d take from that group

vCash

Maybe it will be someone from the Esks neg. list. Modejongge's article from December discussed Penn State’s Christian Hackenberg (with the AAF), Utah State’s Jordan Love and Arizona State’s Manny Wilkins from that list, although they'd be more likely in the #3 spot.
    GO ESKS GO!

vCash

As GWN added also Schiltz. Obviously 1 for sure will come loose if they can talk the 5th into a PR spot. Could be 2 of them come available. Question is when? Kavis could be waiting for the QB carousel to stop spinning to try swinging a deal. I don't think a team wanting to bring in one of them as a possible #2 will want to wait until after training camp is over if they can help it. I'd think they'd want to have them at the start of camp.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    As GWN added also Schiltz. Obviously 1 for sure will come loose if they can talk the 5th into a PR spot. Could be 2 of them come available. Question is when? Kavis could be waiting for the QB carousel to stop spinning to try swinging a deal. I don't think a team wanting to bring in one of them as a possible #2 will want to wait until after training camp is over if they can help it. I'd think they'd want to have them at the start of camp.
    Out of those 4 I've seen the most impressive performances out of Pipkin
    In Rod we trust