Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It's Time for Structural Change within the BoD

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Discussion It's Time for Structural Change within the BoD

This is a thread that is long overdue in a sense. For many years now, we have seen some epic boneheaded decisions being made by people "entrusted" to steer this franchise, and what we've gotten in return has been a series of messes that has resulted in an eroded season ticket base and serious mistrust of the BoD.

The problem truly lies in the people who are responsible for such failures get to quietly slink away into the biz community with little to no accountability. Doug Goss, & Terry Sawin got no heat for spearheading the Uncle Pervie hire, which might have been the most destructive decision to affect the on filed product since the nervous 9 were created.

the curren fiasco we find ourselves in is the result of Jon Moquin, Janice Agrios, and to a lesser extent Brad Sparrow. Moquin & Agrios were the two all in a huff about the live mic thing, regardless of the fact that it was a ratings failure. These 3 were also the Rhodent's biggest allies in buying the Rhodent's stories that were spun to get them to support the dismissal of a GM, which has now led to the departure of a second HoF Franchise QB leaving for no good reason, under Rhodent's watch.

So Rhodent gets to slink away and so do the suits, their damage to this brand, unowned. Nowhere during all this has Sparrow made any public statements as Chair. Does he not owe his customers explanations behind the trend that is established that the BoD is making too many football related decisions with next to zero actual football knowledge?

The EEFC's system of governance is broken. Has been for quite some time. Gone are the days where board members were counted on to backstop financial losses, and therefore had skin in the game to ensure the right decisions were being made. Today the Bod has become an extension of the Edm Chamber of Commerce circle of influence. A perk, a networking plum. I know a current board member, he's a good guy, somewhat successful in his field, but he'd be one of the last people on earth I would ever approach to make a sound decision regarding the game or business of football, or pro sports for that matter. I've run into him a couple of times since Apr 7, 2017, but have yet to bring myself to have THAT conversation with him because my Tourettes would kick in full force. Besides, I already know the narrative that was spun from the board to the biz community. It's their reputations they worry about at the end of the day.

So what needs to change?

That's the crux of this thread I guess. With me the criteria and makeup of the EEFC BoD must include a certain segment of people with a background in pro sports. Right now Tom Richards is the only person who meets that basic standard and he's the first guy since I think Ed Molstad going back a few decades?? If we have a group that is influencing the DNA of this franchise and it's direction, then there must be people who understand what metrics are involved in making key decisions. As it stands, being a connected biz person in this community seems to be the main metric. That needs to change.

This club last lost a lot of trust with it's generational fans. I hear it everywhere and have seen it in the stands. The Bod has been rightly criticized for being out of touch and having no feel for the pulse of their customer, and rightly so. Their direction has been bottom line driven, and all that has done has driven prices into Oiler stratospheres in terms of things like concession prices, and "managed fan experiences"

The so called leadership IMO has little to no clue as to the soul of this club, which is in critical condition. This org doesn't embrace it's history, it's culture, nor does it accept it's opportunities to build on those genuine things. It's a systemic failure because no light is being shone under the crevices of too many bad decisions, allowed to be quietly swept under the rug.

Beyond hiring a new President, who has an enormous job ahead in rebuilding credibility within the brand, this franchise must take a long sober look at how it operates.

It is no longer the flagship franchise, and hasn't been for a while. Step 1 is admitting you have a problem.

Continuing to do the same things you've always done is the definition of insanity. Yet here we are, and too many people have begun to turn their backs on this franchise. Hell I've seriously struggled with why bothering to give a **** anymore when you can't trust the people in charge.

The BoD today finds itself backed in a corner, regardless of weather they admit it or not. There ST base has taken a sizable hit, and now they are forced to move on from a president who was more concerned with selling himself to the community than selling football to people who care about football.

It's time for changes. Seismic changes
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Re: It's Time for Structural Change within the BoD

Current fiasco? Are we in a fiasco?

We had some departures from people that chased money and family. Our GM restocked with some of the best people out there. We are set up to challenge for a Grey Cup this season.

Ed is gone. He isn't coming back. I think people need to accept this. Or maybe buy an orange jersey.

vCash

Well said Diesel and for what its worth, I agree.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post

We had some departures from people that chased money and family. Our GM restocked with some of the best people out there. We are set up to challenge for a Grey Cup this season.

Ed is gone. He isn't coming back. I think people need to accept this. Or maybe buy an orange jersey.
    I don't read this as an Anti Brock/pro Hervey post. Diesel is merely pointing out that the board needs to own their part in the rollercoaster ride we've been on for some years now. As much as we go back and forth on the Brock/ Hervey debate I don't think there are many, if any, in here that can say the board has been doing a good job. Essentially they are the ones that hired Tillman, they are the ones that hired Rhodes and they are the ones that kept Rhodes over Hervey. Their track record isn't stellar and its pretty clear they can be swayed by a wordsmith.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash
    Blog Entries

While I totally agree with you Diez...we all know it's never going to happen. Getting the fat cats to admit they're not doing a good job and getting rid of them is going to be next to impossible without a monstrous mass exodus of season ticket holders. (way more than we've already lost) I'm really hoping they get it right this time when they hire their next president...and that the alienation of fans, players and alumni stops and is addressed properly. You know as well as I do the problems in the office, staff and in-fighting that's been going on over the last couple years and you're right - without any kind of repercussions there's no reason for the BoD to do anything different. They get to pad their Linkedin account and that's about all they care about. Not one of them has any kind of vested interest in the team, and again, as long as the team still makes money they can sit around their big table and pat each other on the back for a job well done. I'd love to ask each of them how many games they attended in their tenure on the board. How they could justify the ticket prices rising consistently when the on-field product has faltered. How they could explain the decision to turf Swerve or even hire Rhodent for that matter. (Don't even get me started on Tillman *patooie*)
    Just a quick shout out to Mr."Winning isn't everything" for pis*ing away not one but TWO HoF QB's. F*ck you Len and good riddance.

vCash

Isn't this what most BoD's are like? People who don't necessarily have experience with the boards they are on?

Well I agree with the BoD being part of the issue, how many sports people are a)interested in being on this board b)working in a position at their companies that has some power?

It's easier said than done Diesel. I don't imagine a lot of sports guys are interested or have the knowledge or connections that some of these people currently on the board do.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jtuck09 View Post
    Isn't this what most BoD's are like? People who don't necessarily have experience with the boards they are on?

Well I agree with the BoD being part of the issue, how many sports people are a)interested in being on this board b)working in a position at their companies that has some power?

It's easier said than done Diesel. I don't imagine a lot of sports guys are interested or have the knowledge or connections that some of these people currently on the board do.
    This is inherently the problem though... How does a guy...an everyday Joe Footballfan...that would genuinely have the team's performance and interests at heart get onto the Board? They can't. It's donkey punches that have no interest (or at least seems to not) in the game or the team but have managed to get far in their respective field that use the nepotism of the Chamber of Commerce or EDE to get to the table. If you're just padding your resume - f*ck off and find another board or charitable organization to put your time into. I'm not going to be on some board for revitalizing healthcare because I don't know anything about it...don't have any experience with it and would look like a fish out of water trying to solve problems arising. Granted I'm not president of my company but I've been in the same industry for decades and have been on boards before that pertained to my field. Because I had an interest in the field and the effects the board could have on my and my co-workers jobs I actually cared about the decisions we made for the greater good.
    Just a quick shout out to Mr."Winning isn't everything" for pis*ing away not one but TWO HoF QB's. F*ck you Len and good riddance.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post

Believe what you like. The current ST situation is very troubling for the BoD.
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

I disagree, there are at least a dozen people in this chat room that I would nominate and trust in that role as well, I'm sure there are more alumni that would be interested.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    While I totally agree with you Diez...we all know it's never going to happen. Getting the fat cats to admit they're not doing a good job and getting rid of them is going to be next to impossible without a monstrous mass exodus of season ticket holders. (way more than we've already lost) I'm really hoping they get it right this time when they hire their next president...and that the alienation of fans, players and alumni stops and is addressed properly. You know as well as I do the problems in the office, staff and in-fighting that's been going on over the last couple years and you're right - without any kind of repercussions there's no reason for the BoD to do anything different. They get to pad their Linkedin account and that's about all they care about. Not one of them has any kind of vested interest in the team, and again, as long as the team still makes money they can sit around their big table and pat each other on the back for a job well done. I'd love to ask each of them how many games they attended in their tenure on the board. How they could justify the ticket prices rising consistently when the on-field product has faltered. How they could explain the decision to turf Swerve or even hire Rhodent for that matter. (Don't even get me started on Tillman *patooie*)
    Sometimes the worst thing as a fan is to have access to how things work within your team when there has been a shiny veneer covering up a lot of dysfunction
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Well said Diesel and for what its worth, I agree.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't read this as an Anti Brock/pro Hervey post. Diesel is merely pointing out that the board needs to own their part in the rollercoaster ride we've been on for some years now. As much as we go back and forth on the Brock/ Hervey debate I don't think there are many, if any, in here that can say the board has been doing a good job. Essentially they are the ones that hired Tillman, they are the ones that hired Rhodes and they are the ones that kept Rhodes over Hervey. Their track record isn't stellar and its pretty clear they can be swayed by a wordsmith.
    It's deeper than that. It's the decisions that have pushed prices into NHL brackets, it's been decisions like having Disney tell you how to market, then abandon your own rich history in the process. The history that your customers actually embrace. It's as something as ridiculous as NOT using an Eskimo born, bred, and daily used mantra such a BONE to create a backbone of your brand association, to give your fans an opportunity to buy in to something bigger than they are.

The best & most iconic franchises in sport do this. Yankees, Habs, Ferarri, ManU, Cowboys, and I could go on. This group can't even find the stones to celebrate it's own name fercrissakes
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Go Esks Go???

"No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

I disagree, there are at least a dozen people in this chat room that I would nominate and trust in that role as well, I'm sure there are more alumni that would be interested.
    You missed my point totally.

Those people in this chat room wouldn't even be considered. They aren't in a position in their companies (probably) to make any kind of dent into getting in. Boards aren't made up of guys from football chat boards.

Alumni may be a different story but if these guys are high up in their companies, some may not have the time commitment to want to be a part of this board(on other boards, busy with work commitments, etc.)

vCash

I'm not a shareholder and I don't know much about the structure of the corporation and what powers the shareholders actually have. For what it's worth, I do believe the you're right that the diehard fans have likely been alienated as part of a move Rhodes described in last year's report to those shareholders as "we identified the need to place more focus on attracting new fans, with special emphasis on targeting the young adult demographic." Sometimes if you're not careful, your marketing can gut your core audience. I'd like to read more about the board's five-year plan Route 2021 to see what makes sense there and what doesn't. I'll also be curious to see the 2018 report and how the Grey Cup year and a full year since the management change impacted things.

If this 2017 report isn't cooked, there's evidence to support both arguments here. In Rhodes' defence, for 2017, gate and sponsorship revenues were both up. So, too, was player and coach expense (partly due to injuries) and scouting expense was up. From that perspective, he did what he promised he would do. On the other hand, even with those expenses rising by almost $1 million, there was a two-per-cent shift in spend away from football expenses (from 52 to 48 per cent), which might been reflected as a larger percentage without the injuries. About a half-million more was spent on administration and they spent nearly double on marketing and community relations (not sure which the halftime events fall under as there's not a dedicated line item.) That shift to non-football expenses is a stark, decided gamble and it's probably dependent on point-of-view whether it has been productive. It certainly wasn't a case of doing things as have always been done.

I don't really see the fiasco bit right now. If we're talking about football operations, as tough as it is to not make the playoffs in a Grey Cup year, you also had a team that was battling for second place until the dying points of the season that had a lot of one-score losses with a fairly young coach at the helm. A lot of people have alluded to a divided room, too, and there's a lot of talk about cultural change from those remaining and those coming in. Football operations, to me, isn't a fiasco. There was a housecleaning and there's an influx of new talent. Most casual fans I've heard from appear genuinely excited about the team being built right now and I'd bet there are more ticket renewals now than people thought about even a week ago. The organization is strong.

You're right that a board of directors for a football club, or any sports organization, needs people that understand the sport. Shareholders should demand that and work to vote people in who have that background. It's also true, however, that you can get too many people who want a say in football operations among those who have legitimate football backgrounds. You need a good cross-section of people who understand how to market to different demographics, who have legal or financial training, who know what is needed to deal with the city and province, who have ties to other community groups, and of course, who just have sound, demonstrated business acumen.

The fans spoke about Rhodes and I'd imagine the board listened to that rebuke. I'd guess the next person will have a more balanced approach and perhaps be more of a traditionalist.

And not to defend the man, because I think he missed the mark on a lot, but despite most CFL football people not liking the mics, they were the only team where there was controversy. Hervey is a strong personality, too, and if he doesn't have control, you might have some had personality battles with anyone and, perhaps more stark if the guy in the president's seat was a "football guy." It was a bad move firing him and the timing couldn't have been worse, but I wonder if he's going to be the type of guy who has a shelf life anywhere he goes.

I would think if the shareholders see too big a problem with the bottom line and/or the team's image in the community, there's a mechanism for them to create that overhaul among directors that you're asking for — but I also wonder how many people are willing and interested to be involved. Also, whether those who step forward wouldn't have their own agendas driving them when they get there. My guess is that groundswell never happens. That said, I predict this board looks at the negative reaction to Rhodes' direction, examines the analytics they're no doubt collecting, and changes course to hire a president whose blueprint more closely reflects what is needed at this time.

(Edit: Paying two general managers could have been a big part of the reason for the administrative increase and the percentage shift as well, so maybe not as drastic as indicated in the shifting money from football to non-football expense idea.)
    Last edited by BeaverSports; 02-16-2019 at 07:53 AM.

vCash

I think we need a couple more football minded people on the board for sure.. I think it would help immensely

vCash

You missed my point totally.

Those people in this chat room wouldn't even be considered. They aren't in a position in their companies (probably) to make any kind of dent into getting in. Boards aren't made up of guys from football chat boards.

Alumni may be a different story but if these guys are high up in their companies, some may not have the time commitment to want to be a part of this board(on other boards, busy with work commitments, etc.)
    You are correct but why? What makes the people on the existing board more qualified than a number of the people in here? I would suggest the moves they have made have proven that what they are doing isn't working. I think it would pay dividends to have someone that bleeds green and gold on the board, someone that knows the history and is connected...... someone like 56parkies

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    It's deeper than that. It's the decisions that have pushed prices into NHL brackets, it's been decisions like having Disney tell you how to market, then abandon your own rich history in the process. The history that your customers actually embrace. It's as something as ridiculous as NOT using an Eskimo born, bred, and daily used mantra such a BONE to create a backbone of your brand association, to give your fans an opportunity to buy in to something bigger than they are.

The best & most iconic franchises in sport do this. Yankees, Habs, Ferarri, ManU, Cowboys, and I could go on. This group can't even find the stones to celebrate it's own name fercrissakes
    Agreed, we could embrace the BONE/ Evil empire moniker and build a long lasting brand from there, instead we try different things every year (13th man flag, that god awful siren)

vCash

While I agree with the gist of what Diesel is saying here, a couple of things should be pointed out: BoD chair Brad Sparrow did appear (by phone from Mexico) on Reid Wilkins' show Monday night in response to Len Rhodes' departure. I won't bother to post a link because Sparrow said absolutely nothing of substance. He made it obvious that he and Rhodes heard the outcry in reaction to the Hervey firing but made it equally clear that he felt the team president had done the right thing.

As troubling as that is, Rhodes did in fact walk away from a job that he coveted. That, to me, is a positive early step that hopefully signals the start of an overall change at the club's executive level. The type of individual (football person please!) that the BoD hires as the new team president should serve as another indicator. True fans of the Eskimos should be watching carefully how this unfolds while being prepared to be vocal if needed.
    Last edited by GREYx14; 02-15-2019 at 11:30 AM.

vCash

1st need to hire a president that has some football knowledge and an understanding of the Eskimos and preferably not a ketchup salesman. The board should have this figured out by now!

vCash

A lot of good points made here...

One thing I don't really see....is how this gets fixed. Or if the everyday fan even has a chance to do anything.
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on

vCash

As I understand it the EEFC BoD is a non-profit board. The only non-profit board I've sat on was a public library board where, in the role of chairman, I received a fair bit of support and training in how NPB's should operate. A NPB's responsibility is to set a strategic direction for the organization (in the library board's case this was a 5 year plan of service) and hire and manage a leader (president/CEO/director/etc.). After that the operation of the organization and the implementation of the board's strategic plan is the leader's responsibility. If the Esks' BoD is doing this then they're being blamed for a lot of stuff that isn't their responsibility. If they're sticking their noses into operations then they're breaking the rules I learned in Board Governance 101, they're not doing their job, and they should be replaced.

The only skin a board member has in the game is their interest in the organization, for which they should be passionate, but they don't need to have any particular expertise in the subject, as they hire the expert to lead the organization. Their role, other than governance, is to to assist the selected leader with advice, as requested, so they should be selected to the board based on their passion for the organization and their ability to provide other expertise, financial, marketing, HR, etc. to the creation of the strategic plan and assessment of the organization's progress towards the goals described in the plan.
    GO ESKS GO!

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stamphater View Post
    A lot of good points made here...

One thing I don't really see....is how this gets fixed. Or if the everyday fan even has a chance to do anything.
    Outside of boycotting, social media, and protest letters, I think we're stuck.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

You are correct but why? What makes the people on the existing board more qualified than a number of the people in here? I would suggest the moves they have made have proven that what they are doing isn't working. I think it would pay dividends to have someone that bleeds green and gold on the board, someone that knows the history and is connected...... someone like 56parkies

- - - Updated - - -
    I didn't say they weren't qualified. I said they wouldn't be considered based off them being off of a football chat board.
    Should they be considered? Yes, they should. Think outside the box and actually get some football people on the board of a football club. It's a novel concept
    But boards, usually, like to people from businesses in place. I doubt that'll change with this board any time soon.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Shaker11 View Post
    1st need to hire a president that has some football knowledge and an understanding of the Eskimos and preferably not a ketchup salesman. The board should have this figured out by now!
    That's the key. If that mistake wasn't made the last time around, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Hire someone good, stay out of his face and let him do his job. I really don't want the board micro-managing what goes on in football ops either.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

I didn't say they weren't qualified. I said they wouldn't be considered based off them being off of a football chat board.
    Should they be considered? Yes, they should. Think outside the box and actually get some football people on the board of a football club. It's a novel concept
    But boards, usually, like to people from businesses in place. I doubt that'll change with this board any time soon.
    Agreed, the board should be filled with people from all walks of life.

vCash

Agreed, the board should be filled with people from all walks of life.
    Glad we finally agree!

vCash

A truly excellent post Diesel. You see the big picture, and cut to the core of the issue - as usual.

Since Hugh Campbell left, the Esks have been in big trouble. Period.

The BOD, whoever they were and are, have never managed to fill that gigantic void.

Somehow (maybe a lucky fluke) we managed to right things with the hiring of Hervey and Jones, and the acquisition of Reilly, but that was soon mismanaged away.

We are, I feel, back at the drawing board. No disrespect meant to the free agent players that were just acquired from Ottawa - or anyone else who has signed.

We are in a rebuilding year. Again.

The BOD must have some bright minds, even if they aren't sports or football minds. Certainly they see the need to let into their ranks additional folks who have pro football experience and smarts? Its a "no brainer". Take advantage of the incredible expertise that still exists.

Thanks again, Diesel.
    Last edited by Moon1; 02-15-2019 at 07:42 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GREYx14 View Post
    While I agree with the gist of what Diesel is saying here, a couple of things should be pointed out: BoD chair Brad Sparrow did appear (by phone from Mexico) on Reid Wilkins' show Monday night in response to Len Rhodes' departure. I won't bother to post a link because Sparrow said absolutely nothing of substance. He made it obvious that he and Rhodes heard the outcry in reaction to the Hervey firing but made it equally clear that he felt the team president had done the right thing.

As troubling as that is, Rhodes did in fact walk away from a job that he coveted. That, to me, is a positive early step that hopefully signals the start of an overall change at the club's executive level. The type of individual (football person please!) that the BoD hires as the new team president should serve as another indicator. True fans of the Eskimos should be watching carefully how this unfolds while being prepared to be vocal if needed.
    I believe that Sparrow did say something of substance because you said it in the next sentence. To paraphrase what Sparrow said was that the board would rather stick with someone running the football club that doesn't know anything about football as long as he knows how to sell more advertising space.

Sad.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Moon1 View Post
    A truly excellent post Diesel. You see the big picture, and cut to the core of the issue - as usual.

The BOD, whoever they were and are, have never managed to fill that gigantic void.

Somehow (maybe a lucky fluke) we managed to right things with the hiring of Hervey and Jones, and the acquisition of Reilly, but that was soon mismanaged away.

We are, I feel, back at the drawing board. No disrespect meant to the fee agent players that were just acquired from Ottawa. (On that, our GM was himself "obtained" from Ottawa. He got his coach from there, and now his QB. This is not particularly innovative, imaginative nor sustainable. And its not like the Redblacks are the Steelers. Not at all inspiring).

We are in a rebuilding year. Again.

The BOD must have some bright minds, even if they aren't sports or football minds. Certainly they see the need to let into their ranks additional folks who have pro football experience and smarts? Its a "no brainer". Take advantage of the incredible expertise that still exists.

Thanks again, Diesel.
    This GM did not get his coach from Ottawa.

Every CFL team is in a rebuilding year, every year. That is how the CBA is set up.

vCash
    Blog Entries

The problem is the Board IS sticking their noses into the ops of the club. They directly influenced Rhodes on many things and even were the ones that for some reason or another thought it was a fantastic idea to hire Tillman (patooie) and Rhodent in the first place!

vCash

- - - Updated - - -

This GM did not get his coach from Ottawa.

Every CFL team is in a rebuilding year, every year. That is how the CBA is set up.[/QUOTE]

My apologies. You are correct. EH obtained Maas from Ottawa.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    Believe what you like. The current ST situation is very troubling for the BoD.
    As it should.

People misunderstand what the BOD's role is. They provide general direction and oversight. They don't get into the day-to-day operations. They put the best people in place to run the on and off field product.

ST numbers gives you an indication of how well you are doing at winning, pricing, brand management, and overall entertainment value. You don't need to necessarily be a sports person to understand or interpret those. The current BOD saw the trend and made some moves. Is it enough? Maybe. Maybe not.

Attendance in the CFL is down. I think this is the trend that is even more concerning.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Moon1 View Post

Really? Just because we have never won 5 in a row again? Wow. Talk about clinging to the past.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    The problem is the Board IS sticking their noses into the ops of the club. They directly influenced Rhodes on many things and even were the ones that for some reason or another thought it was a fantastic idea to hire Tillman (patooie) and Rhodent in the first place!
    The President's job is to carry out the wishes of the BOD.

Yes, the BOD were "even" the ones to sign off on Tillman and Rhodes. Again, their job.

I'm not defending their decisions, especially the Tillman one, but you imply they they are stepping outside their role. They were not.