Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trevor Harris Called Me!!!!!

vCash
    Blog Entries

Ask Trevor Harris Called Me!!!!!

Did anyone else get the phone call yesterday from the Esks with the recorded message from Trevor Harris? Saying how excited he was to be an Eskimo and blah blah blah. Then another voice telling me if I refer someone for season seats...something something. Honestly I erased the message as soon as they started yammering about season seats.
    Just a quick shout out to Mr."Winning isn't everything" for pis*ing away not one but TWO HoF QB's. F*ck you Len and good riddance.

vCash

Re: Trevor Harris Called Me!!!!!

what did he call you ?

vCash

Yes, Trevor Harris also called me last night, and he was still very excited about becoming an Eskimo though he seemed to ignore any questions I asked and just kept talking
    Is it game day yet?????

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TeqEEla View Post
    Yes, Trevor Harris also called me last night, and he was still very excited about becoming an Eskimo though he seemed to ignore any questions I asked and just kept talking
    Never interrupt a QB's cadence
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Unfortunately the terms of my court order prohibit me from making or receiving calls from or to anyone in the organization.
    Last edited by widowmaker; 02-26-2019 at 03:23 PM.
    " To alcohol, the cause of and solution to all life's problems"

-Homer Simpson

vCash

He called me on the 15th.

vCash

They're pulling out all the stops to get people in the building.

If only they would have been managed properly the last 2-3 years..

vCash

To get ticket sales going, 1970s Toronto Toros of the World Hockey Association had then player Frank Mahovlich going door to door. Try to top that.

For season ticket renewals, maybe the Esks ought to send around O'Donnell…. Whose gonna say no
    Last edited by Moon1; 02-27-2019 at 05:54 AM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Moon1 View Post
    To get ticket sales going, 1970s Toronto Toros of the World Hockey Association had then player Frank Mahovlich going door to door. Try to top that.

For season ticket renewals, maybe the Esks ought to send around O'Donnell…. Whose gonna say no
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Moon1 View Post

lol or Mondo. Buy some tickets! Yes sir how many? 6? No 12! Yes sir!
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Last year was such a colossal failure that it is going to take time for fans to regain their trust in the organization.

Losing Rhodes was a start but there’s a long way to go.

vCash
    Blog Entries

The main thing they need to do is make football the main thing. Don't sell washed-up rappers, slogans, dumb contests, and other cheesy gimmicks (looking at you, siren). Sell football!

Take those tarps off the upper deck and open up the nosebleeds for $15 each.

Put the firetruck back where it belongs.

Lose the ear-splitting halftime shows that kill conversation and make people want to run to the concourse.

Put in a DJ that will play "Don't Stop Believing" in its entirety...WITHOUT cluttering it up with a hip-hop track.

Use an intro song that incites goosebumps, not eyerolls.

Make the Esks great again!

(End rant)
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OK14 View Post
    The main thing they need to do is make football the main thing. Don't sell washed-up rappers, slogans, dumb contests, and other cheesy gimmicks (looking at you, siren). Sell football!

Lose the ear-splitting halftime shows that kill conversation and make people want to run to the concourse.

Put in a DJ that will play "Don't Stop Believing" in its entirety...WITHOUT cluttering it up with a hip-hop track.

(End rant)

I agree with much of what you say especially in regards to opening up the nosebleeds and charging a low price for them. Maybe on a trial basis they could just open up one of those sections to see how it goes and add additional ones if needed. It wouldn't impact my buying decision of attending as many games as possible in the family section as it would be worth it for me to pay the higher ticket price for a closer vantage point which is my personal preference although I do know some people who prefer to sit high up. A fuller stadium leads to a better game day atmosphere (and looks better on TV...I'm looking at you AAF). Also by providing low price alternatives you probably get a larger number of younger fans introduced to the game. You'll also make more in concessions. Once you've done that then you have to improve the in game experience and the product on the field to get them coming back. If I'm not mistaken BC is doing something along those lines in terms of inexpensive tickets for the upcoming season although it just might be limited to kids IIRC.
    Last edited by adb; 02-27-2019 at 02:42 PM.
    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    I agree with much of what you say especially in regards to opening up the nosebleeds and charging a low price for them. Maybe on a trial basis they could just open up one of those sections to see how it goes and add additional ones if needed. It wouldn't impact my buying decision of attending as many games as possible in the family section as it would be worth it for me to pay the higher ticket price for a closer vantage point which is my personal preference although I do know some people who prefer to sit high up. A fuller stadium leads to a better game day atmosphere (and looks better on TV...I'm looking at you AAF). Also by providing low price alternatives you probably get a larger number of younger fans introduced to the game. You'll also make more in concessions. Once you've done that then you have to improve the in game experience and the product on the field to get them coming back. If I'm not mistaken BC is doing something along those lines in terms of inexpensive tickets for the upcoming season although it just might be limited to kids IIRC.
    Like this?

https://www.esks.com/kids-season-seats/

Or do you mean per game. I do believe kids tickets were also half price (or close to it) last year for individual games.

I'd also love to see College Corner come back where it is a specific part of the building. Led to some security issues, but during its prime it certainly was a part of getting attendance numbers up. Though I don't have the dates to back it up, it feels like attendance declines coincided with when they split up College Corner seats.
    Last edited by bone; 02-27-2019 at 02:50 PM.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Like this?

https://www.esks.com/kids-season-seats/

Or do you mean per game. I do believe kids tickets were also half price (or close to it) last year for individual games.

I'd also love to see College Corner come back where it is a specific part of the building. Led to some security issues, but during its prime it certainly was a part of getting attendance numbers up. Though I don't have the dates to back it up, it feels like attendance declines coincided with when they split up College Corner seats.
    That's a good program although I see the value of a section for young people like a College Corner as you say.
    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    It makes for an interesting business case.

Logic says that they would likely attract some new fans that are currently priced out of the market. There are challenges around it though...

1) It's hard to avoid setting the value of the game experience in that ticket-buyers' mind. If using the $15 price (or whatever it may be) to attract them, it is somewhat probable that they establish in their mind that it's a $15 value. If the goal is to ultimately transition those fans to a regular paying fan, it can be difficult.

2) How do you handle the guy that is sitting across the aisle from the $15 seat without reducing the cost of his ticket? Obviously, there are already elements like this in the stadium, where prices go down by being one row higher or one section over, but the jump down to $15 could cannibalize or tick off some of your current ticket base.

3) The budget conscious ticket buyer - that is lured by this sort of thing, but not existing programs - is probably less likely to spend much on merchandise or over-priced concessions regularly. I'm not sure it's the fan that you could count on getting in the door and having them spend.

I'm more in favour of programs like the Sobeys Section, or the Boston Pizza Zone, where you get some sponsor subsidizing those tickets, as it draws the purchaser into their business to buy the tickets. I also like the idea of family sections or college sections for those that want more specific experiences. I greatly admire the on-going, but at times under publicized, Kid's season ticket program. I know people that have kids with seats next to them down in the prime seats, who get them at 50% of the cost until they're 18 - in some cases, those seats were purchased when the kid was born, just to hold on to them when they came available, so they have them for when they're old enough to need their own seat. I agree that there is no replacement for being introduced to the game young, with family, but it is an exercise that takes a generation to show dividends in many ways.

In BC, in previous years at least, they have closed the entire upper bowl, citing the additional staff (security, cleaning, ushers, etc) needed to maintain fans being there, when they didn't think that they would sell many new tickets as a result. Personally, I'd happily pay more to sit between the 45s in the first 10 rows of the upper bowl rather than in the corner down low, but I recognize that people have different preferences that way.

Around Superbowl, there was lots of talk about the new stadium in Atlanta having had the owner impose reasonable concession prices and keep them in place. The fan is still paying good money to get in there, but they're not feeling taken advantage of when they're buying their hot dog and beer... and I'm sure that they still operate as a profit. Of course, in Edmonton, with concessions being run by fundraising volunteer groups and being a Commonwealth/City of Edmonton thing rather than an EEFC thing, that may not be as viable... although from a business standpoint, I could understand wanting to take care of your customers first.

The fact is, there's no easy recipe, as teams have to appeal to traditional fans that make up the base - an already diverse group in terms of ages and preferences - while having to appeal to non-traditional fans. Always lots made of the 18-35 year old demographic as being appealing. I'm not saying that concerts help in that regard (they mean nothing to me), but I'm guessing that there has been solid market research that had led to those strategies. The bottom line is that the organization needs to do research as to what fans, and prospective fans want - and not just implement strategies that we think make sense but miss the mark or don't sustainably work. While it is about football and the game day experience surrounding that for most of us, that may very well not be the case for the prospective fan that they haven't yet engaged yet.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OK14 View Post

(End rant)
    I agree with you.

You have almost 59,000 seats. Use that to your advantage. Take the sections right on the ends in the second deck and like you said cheap. make them cheap. There is something like 75 or 80 rows. That the top 5 row and make them cheap. If I am a super casual CFL fan am I dropping $50 to go to an Esks game when I am already skeptical on the product? HELL NO!! Would I drop $15 or 20? Maybe. Once I am in the building, am I most likely going to buy food and drink? Yes. Is there a chance that once I get in there and see the product, will I come back? Maybe. If I come back enough times, I might want to upgrade my seats. Regardless GET ME IN THERE!! It won't work for all but it will work for some and I guarantee you, cheap ticket prices will work a hell of a lot better than cheesy ads, stupid slo-guns or washed up rappers. It worked for my family. We went to several games a year because my parents were Esks fans. Then the Esks came out with their $99 season tickets. So we decided, at $10 a game, why not. A few years later we decided we were tired of sitting way the hell up, so we upgraded and moved into Section Q. The cheap tickets got us in the door and we stayed for 25 yrs. It wasn't a cheesy gimmick.

I 100% agree on the fire truck. I have said it MANY times. Take those tents, build a platform in the one endzone and put them there. It would help with the sight lines of those tents because they suck. I have been in them once, they sucked to watch the game. But mostly it frees up the track for the truck. The fire truck was the Esks thing!! The Stamps have the horse, the Red Blacks have the lumberjacks cutting wood, we have NOTHING anymore. Bring back the truck.

Music can set the temp. Music can fire up the crowd. Music can create an atmosphere. Have a pump up song when the Esks come out and keep it. The BlackHawks have their goal song and they are known for it. Find one for the Esks to come out too. Have a pump up song before the first kick off at each half. Playing Mylie Cyrus doesn't do it. When the defense steps on the field, play a certain every time song. When the offense comes on, play a certain song. SET THE TONE. Create an atmosphere!! Even what OK said about Don't Stop believing. If the Esks are down, needing a final drive play that. Playing the latest random RnB song that only a 17 yr old would know doesn't set the tone. They can keep the DJ to play other stuff to please younger fans at breaks but key songs at key times can be HUGE.

Even as simple as those mini footballs. They used to pepper the stands with those things. There wasn't a year that went by that i didn't get at least 1 ball and it wasn't because of my superior receiving skills or vertical. People used to get FIRED UP for those balls. Now they barely throw any. I haven't got one in years. If you want, advertise the CRAP out of those balls. Put ads all over them.

So many easy things they could do.
    Last edited by Sectionq; 02-27-2019 at 04:43 PM.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

It's clear the in-game marketing presentation needs a complete overhaul from the moment the players march in the stadium to the final gun (and after). There is nothing wrong with the on-field product, but it appears as though the (former) powers that be are comfortable selling the time in between plays to the highest bidder instead of focusing on creating an experience for fans young and old.

I'd really like to see the new President (whoever it is) focused on "blowing up" how things are done at CW. There is so much potential if they really take a look.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    I agree with you.

You have almost 59,000 seats. Use that to your advantage. Take the sections right on the ends in the second deck and like you said cheap. make them cheap. There is something like 75 or 80 rows. That the top 5 row and make them cheap. If I am a super casual CFL fan am I dropping $50 to go to an Esks game when I am already skeptical on the product? HELL NO!! Would I drop $15 or 20? Maybe. Once I am in the building, am I most likely going to buy food and drink? Yes. Is there a chance that once I get in there and see the product, will I come back? Maybe. If I come back enough times, I might want to upgrade my seats. Regardless GET ME IN THERE!! It won't work for all but it will work for some and I guarantee you, cheap ticket prices will work a hell of a lot better than cheesy ads, stupid slo-guns or washed up rappers. It worked for my family. We went to several games a year because my parents were Esks fans. Then the Esks came out with their $99 season tickets. So we decided, at $10 a game, why not. A few years later we decided we were tired of sitting way the hell up, so we upgraded and moved into Section Q. The cheap tickets got us in the door and we stayed for 25 yrs. It wasn't a cheesy gimmick.

I 100% agree on the fire truck. I have said it MANY times. Take those tents, build a platform in the one endzone and put them there. It would help with the sight lines of those tents because they suck. I have been in them once, they sucked to watch the game. But mostly it frees up the track for the truck. The fire truck was the Esks thing!! The Stamps have the horse, the Red Blacks have the lumberjacks cutting wood, we have NOTHING anymore. Bring back the truck.

Music can set the temp. Music can fire up the crowd. Music can create an atmosphere. Have a pump up song when the Esks come out and keep it. The BlackHawks have their goal song and they are known for it. Find one for the Esks to come out too. Have a pump up song before the first kick off at each half. Playing Mylie Cyrus doesn't do it. When the defense steps on the field, play a certain every time song. When the offense comes on, play a certain song. SET THE TONE. Create an atmosphere!! Even what OK said about Don't Stop believing. If the Esks are down, needing a final drive play that. Playing the latest random RnB song that only a 17 yr old would know doesn't set the tone. They can keep the DJ to play other stuff to please younger fans at breaks but key songs at key times can be HUGE.

Even as simple as those mini footballs. They used to pepper the stands with those things. There wasn't a year that went by that i didn't get at least 1 ball and it wasn't because of my superior receiving skills or vertical. People used to get FIRED UP for those balls. Now they barely throw any. I haven't got one in years. If you want, advertise the CRAP out of those balls. Put ads all over them.

So many easy things they could do.
    I'm responding to you directly, only to make the point of how tough it is to attract new fans and keep the old ones happy... not to criticize what you want in the experience.

1) In your first paragraph you started with "... because my parents were Esks fans". In a lot of ways, that puts you more in line with the grew up with it/had it passed down to you crowd than just the cheap tickets approach, though I get that it played a role. I also had $99 season tickets to start and still have the same seats through all the price bumps.

2) The fire truck is almost 100% an existing fan thing - a traditionalist. Again, nothing wrong with that, but it's nothing that will likely play a big role in attracting new fans. It's likely more corny tradition (although it's OUR corny tradition) than anything else, just like standing for the fight song.

3) You reference playing songs that only a 17 year old would know. That makes a little bit of sense when you're trying to attract 17 year olds, or at least younger fans in general. You and I, to a degree, have to accept that we're not going to be the ones catered to with some of the game-experience stuff - they likely have us hooked and we're likely won or lost with on-field success, decisions around coaches, GMs and Presidents, etc. At very least, we'll have to compromise that the play list needs to be a combination of football atmosphere and those designed to attract younger fans.

4) Mini footballs are likely along the same lines as the firetruck. Big deal for the kids and some that are kids at heart, but probably not worth tumbling over three rows of seats to make the diving catch when you can buy 'em for $10 in the store. I'm not saying that the small things like this don't add up over time, or that we don't feel some loss when they take away the traditions, but it's not likely the stuff that gets people into the stadium for the first time (or the first time in awhile), and they aren't likely to be reaching up into the top corners for those proposed cheap seats.

It's a complex problem how to balance the new with the old and figure out how to appeal to the broadest band of people possible. Regardless of what one thinks of Len Rhodes, there have been a lot of people hired to come up with ideas to grow crowds and attract new fans over the years, and not much of what's been done has seemed to be successful as crowds have declined over time.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    I'm responding to you directly, only to make the point of how tough it is to attract new fans and keep the old ones happy... not to criticize what you want in the experience.

1) In your first paragraph you started with "... because my parents were Esks fans". In a lot of ways, that puts you more in line with the grew up with it/had it passed down to you crowd than just the cheap tickets approach, though I get that it played a role. I also had $99 season tickets to start and still have the same seats through all the price bumps.

2) The fire truck is almost 100% an existing fan thing - a traditionalist. Again, nothing wrong with that, but it's nothing that will likely play a big role in attracting new fans. It's likely more corny tradition (although it's OUR corny tradition) than anything else, just like standing for the fight song.

3) You reference playing songs that only a 17 year old would know. That makes a little bit of sense when you're trying to attract 17 year olds, or at least younger fans in general. You and I, to a degree, have to accept that we're not going to be the ones catered to with some of the game-experience stuff - they likely have us hooked and we're likely won or lost with on-field success, decisions around coaches, GMs and Presidents, etc. At very least, we'll have to compromise that the play list needs to be a combination of football atmosphere and those designed to attract younger fans.

4) Mini footballs are likely along the same lines as the firetruck. Big deal for the kids and some that are kids at heart, but probably not worth tumbling over three rows of seats to make the diving catch when you can buy 'em for $10 in the store. I'm not saying that the small things like this don't add up over time, or that we don't feel some loss when they take away the traditions, but it's not likely the stuff that gets people into the stadium for the first time (or the first time in awhile), and they aren't likely to be reaching up into the top corners for those proposed cheap seats.

It's a complex problem how to balance the new with the old and figure out how to appeal to the broadest band of people possible. Regardless of what one thinks of Len Rhodes, there have been a lot of people hired to come up with ideas to grow crowds and attract new fans over the years, and not much of what's been done has seemed to be successful as crowds have declined over time.
    You completely missed the point of my post.

1) Yes my parents were Esks fans. BUT If you live Edmonton or in the surrounding area, you as a young person most likely know about the Esks, probably seen parts of games on tv at some point, have parents or relatives that cheer for the Esks as well. The point of the cheap ticket prices is to get you in the door. If it's expensive like it is now, you probably aren't coming. If its cheap more people would be willing to give it a shot at least once. If you come once, you might come again and again. When I listed my families example, the point was because it was cheap, we came more. If it was expensive, we wouldn't have.

#2,4 of my points where 100% about making the fan and game experience more fun. Are new fans coming to see a old fire truck drive around the track? Not a chance in hell. Are they coming to try to catch some cheap mini football, not a chance in hell. But it's part of the overall experience. The Esks score a TD what happens now? Not a hell of a lot. What happened in past? The fire truck fired up, lights going, siren going, firemen on the truck firing balls. Other people are all over the place firing balls, they had the sling shot. People YOUNG and old got up. It got peoples attention and off their ass. People were waving, cheering, going for balls. It got people, young and old excited. They are fighting the battle of HD TV where you can sit on your ass at home in front of a big screen and watch the game. So there has to be OTHER reasons to go, things you can't get at home. The things I described were things you CAN'T get from watching it on TV. Will it get new fans through the door? Not a chance in hell but could it make them come back again if they come? YES because it was fun. If you have an affordable, FUN experience people will come back. Cheap tickets, cheaper food can get the casual fan to check it out. A high energy, fun experience will make them probably come back. Football is a 3 hour game. It's not a fast game. So you have to fill in the gaps to keep the energy up. Throwing out some washed up old rapper for 12 mins at half time doesn't do that for the game.

Unless you are a hardcore football fan, name me one thing that the Esks do that makes the game fun? I can't think of anything. They hammer you with commercials. Most people don't like to watch commercials so if you are at home, you probably get up and don't watch them. But we as fans in the seats have no where to go so I bet we watch MORE commercials than people at home do. There is no signature thing like the truck to watch or get you up after a TD. They cheap out on the balls. The freaking highlight is watching people kiss on the bloody kiss cam. This is reality here.

When it comes to music, you are right, you can't be playing all oldies rock. I get that. That is why I even said keep the DJ there to play the new stuff. I am fine with that. All I said was have certain songs at certain times. Like kick off. I think Diesel posted a video link of some US college football game where at the start they played Enter Sandman to signify is was game time. I don't think a single college student was BORN when that song came out but to a man, they were all up going freaking nuts because it was a high energy song that told them to get fired up and it worked. If there happens to be a more current song that gets people of all ages fired up then by all means play it. The point was music is part of the atmosphere of a live event. It can set the ton or kill it. I am not so old that I don't appreciate a good new song. A good song is a good song whether it's from 2019 or 20 years ago. If you want to stay current for the younger fans, by all means play whatever slow Drake song you want. But play it at the appropriate time. Telling everyone to get loud for your defense while you have a slow, methodical Drake song playing doesn't do that.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

I too am one of the ones that got in through the mid-90s promotions for cheap season tickets. I think my parents even got them for $49 as they did an additional promo to the Canada Post staff that year that got them in at half price. Prior to that, the only games I attended were the occasional free game at the start of the school year, and all I remember watching on TV was Grey Cups. So I'd say we were very casual fans at best. 23 years later, I'm still there, so obviously promotions like that were good for the team as here I am wasting free time talking about them on message boards and still keeping up the season tickets. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have happened if not for my parents buying into that promo particularly when I was already at an age where I was getting my own money as well.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post

#2,4 of my points where 100% about making the fan and game experience more fun. Are new fans coming to see a old fire truck drive around the track? Not a chance in hell. Are they coming to try to catch some cheap mini football, not a chance in hell. But it's part of the overall experience. The Esks score a TD what happens now? Not a hell of a lot. What happened in past? The fire truck fired up, lights going, siren going, firemen on the truck firing balls. Other people are all over the place firing balls, they had the sling shot. People YOUNG and old got up. It got peoples attention and off their ass. People were waving, cheering, going for balls. It got people, young and old excited. They are fighting the battle of HD TV where you can sit on your ass at home in front of a big screen and watch the game. So there has to be OTHER reasons to go, things you can't get at home. The things I described were things you CAN'T get from watching it on TV. Will it get new fans through the door? Not a chance in hell but could it make them come back again if they come? YES because it was fun. If you have an affordable, FUN experience people will come back. Cheap tickets, cheaper food can get the casual fan to check it out. A high energy, fun experience will make them probably come back. Football is a 3 hour game. It's not a fast game. So you have to fill in the gaps to keep the energy up. Throwing out some washed up old rapper for 12 mins at half time doesn't do that for the game.
    THIS

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    I too am one of the ones that got in through the mid-90s promotions for cheap season tickets. I think my parents even got them for $49 as they did an additional promo to the Canada Post staff that year that got them in at half price. Prior to that, the only games I attended were the occasional free game at the start of the school year, and all I remember watching on TV was Grey Cups. So I'd say we were very casual fans at best. 23 years later, I'm still there, so obviously promotions like that were good for the team as here I am wasting free time talking about them on message boards and still keeping up the season tickets. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have happened if not for my parents buying into that promo particularly when I was already at an age where I was getting my own money as well.
    If they were $99 in the mid-90's... what is a fair price to offer it up at now? Cheap enough to offer value and attract interest, but not resetting the price to what was a total value 25 years ago. Not so cheap as to alienate existing ticket holders sitting in close proximity.

They've taken my seats, initially bought for $99 a season in 1993, and gradually boosted them to where they're $239 or so now (I'm on auto-renewal, and haven't checked the exact price in awhile). While there are some that may choose to upgrade their tickets and move down to $500 seats over time and as their circumstances change, there is a real risk to "papering the house", whether it be through too many give-away tickets or through too cheap of a ticket. If freebies are out there too frequently, people will just wait for those to come around to attend the games - I'm a big believer in the back-to-school promotions, but there's a reason they're once a year.

The curse of a big stadium is that you're almost never going to create scarcity where tickets are hard to come by, and with factors like weather, team performance, outside alternative choices, it is harder to draw fans regularly without enticing a commitment to season tickets out of them. You're right that it often starts with getting them in the door, and hoping to deliver to them when you do and capture their loyalty and engagement. The fact is though, most of us here were the success stories for them... and consider how many possibly dropped off when the price started to rise from $99 because the value was established, or how many were gifted tickets and would go back again if tickets fell into their laps but not necessarily commit to season tickets when freebies sometimes came their way.

There have always been some affordable ticket programs and I hope that they continue. I like the program that they're trying out now - offering up $50 to season ticket holders that get others to sign up for season tickets. Sort of a riff on social media "influencers" in our culture, and maybe a bit more of a push than a pull.

I don't disagree that the gameday experience needs to get better - but we can't always look to the past for that. Going to need some fresh ideas that are driven by finding out what fans (current and prospective) want. On the Eskimo Empire podcast - one of the co-hosts, Kayla, mentioned that she had non-football fan friends that were attracted to go to games for the first time due to the half-time concerts. I don't know what sort of numbers those ultimately represent, nor do I know whether there is any likelihood of repeat attendance (if not just for the next concert), but I do hope that the EEFC continues to try new approaches and find new ways to entertain people, build engagement and create better atmosphere.

vCash

If they were $99 in the mid-90's... what is a fair price to offer it up at now? Cheap enough to offer value and attract interest, but not resetting the price to what was a total value 25 years ago. Not so cheap as to alienate existing ticket holders sitting in close proximity.

They've taken my seats, initially bought for $99 a season in 1993, and gradually boosted them to where they're $239 or so now (I'm on auto-renewal, and haven't checked the exact price in awhile). While there are some that may choose to upgrade their tickets and move down to $500 seats over time and as their circumstances change, there is a real risk to "papering the house", whether it be through too many give-away tickets or through too cheap of a ticket. If freebies are out there too frequently, people will just wait for those to come around to attend the games - I'm a big believer in the back-to-school promotions, but there's a reason they're once a year.

The curse of a big stadium is that you're almost never going to create scarcity where tickets are hard to come by, and with factors like weather, team performance, outside alternative choices, it is harder to draw fans regularly without enticing a commitment to season tickets out of them. You're right that it often starts with getting them in the door, and hoping to deliver to them when you do and capture their loyalty and engagement. The fact is though, most of us here were the success stories for them... and consider how many possibly dropped off when the price started to rise from $99 because the value was established, or how many were gifted tickets and would go back again if tickets fell into their laps but not necessarily commit to season tickets when freebies sometimes came their way.

There have always been some affordable ticket programs and I hope that they continue. I like the program that they're trying out now - offering up $50 to season ticket holders that get others to sign up for season tickets. Sort of a riff on social media "influencers" in our culture, and maybe a bit more of a push than a pull.

I don't disagree that the gameday experience needs to get better - but we can't always look to the past for that. Going to need some fresh ideas that are driven by finding out what fans (current and prospective) want. On the Eskimo Empire podcast - one of the co-hosts, Kayla, mentioned that she had non-football fan friends that were attracted to go to games for the first time due to the half-time concerts. I don't know what sort of numbers those ultimately represent, nor do I know whether there is any likelihood of repeat attendance (if not just for the next concert), but I do hope that the EEFC continues to try new approaches and find new ways to entertain people, build engagement and create better atmosphere.
    Yeah, I don't know the answer as to what they should charge and they probably can't arbitrarily just drop the price across the board and hope additional sales make up the difference. Personally, I think they should look at something like half price seats for a first year season ticket holders. A person may consider signing up their four person family if mom and dad are paying $120 a seat and the kids $63, $400 for ten nights of outdoor enjoyment with the family would be an investment worth trying. If they fall in love with it they may even renew the next year at full price or at least look into going to more games in the following year. That's how they got us.

vCash

I’m one of the ones who also signed up when they had the $99 blitz in ‘96. Before that, my buddies and I or myself and my dad would buy Safeway Family Huddle tickets to most games in seasons leading up to this point because that’s what we could afford. The $99 price point was something that I found affordable and I think was a great way to have me talking about it 24 years later, and over the years, even though I’m certainly not a rich man, have been able to absorb the annual price increases and now have additional seats for both my young boys who love going to games with me. This is one example as to how extreme introductory prices can certainly lead to a long term paying customer. I do think it’s something that the club should consider to try to drum up new interest. I’m at least the forth one on this small forum of fans that became a long time customer from that original program, so that tells me that it worked.

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

The Esks biggest problem was properly explained to me by an igloo dweller. "There's hardly anyone here who even knows our rich history, let alone an idea on how to sell it. Beyond Dwayne and maybe a couple others, that's it..."

So much of the existing fanbase knows the history better than the team does, and believe me it showed during Rhodent's tenure. He never sold the game, the history, the passions, or the traditions, just a brand with little attachment. Football is a game of traditions, rituals, and generations. Football in the hotbeds of the game is a part of the fabric of a community, yet this org, bless with such an abundance of history, never takes advantage of it. I've posted elsewhere a litany of things they could do, but I don't have time to do that again.

One thing they could do is create a section within CW that honors those who while not quite "Wall Worthy" are outstanding in their contributions. You name such a place after Donny "Jeep" Warrington, and you find a way to tell his story and why his jersey was never given out after he passed. Then you get Jeep to sponsor the damned thing, and have a series of celebrations where you bring back groups of former players to have their own place in CW. I'm talking guys like Mobes, Soles, and eventually the McCarty's etc who earned their lore.

We do very little to celebrate our heroes and honor our traditions
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

^ THIS
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

X2^

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    The Esks biggest problem was properly explained to me by an igloo dweller. "There's hardly anyone here who even knows our rich history, let alone an idea on how to sell it. Beyond Dwayne and maybe a couple others, that's it..."

So much of the existing fanbase knows the history better than the team does, and believe me it showed during Rhodent's tenure. He never sold the game, the history, the passions, or the traditions, just a brand with little attachment. Football is a game of traditions, rituals, and generations. Football in the hotbeds of the game is a part of the fabric of a community, yet this org, bless with such an abundance of history, never takes advantage of it. I've posted elsewhere a litany of things they could do, but I don't have time to do that again.

One thing they could do is create a section within CW that honors those who while not quite "Wall Worthy" are outstanding in their contributions. You name such a place after Donny "Jeep" Warrington, and you find a way to tell his story and why his jersey was never given out after he passed. Then you get Jeep to sponsor the damned thing, and have a series of celebrations where you bring back groups of former players to have their own place in CW. I'm talking guys like Mobes, Soles, and eventually the McCarty's etc who earned their lore.

We do very little to celebrate our heroes and honor our traditions
    There was something afoot a few years ago that never came to fruition... and it fits exactly with the narrative you portray. It was discussed to potentially be called the Hall of Heroes, and wouldn't have necessarily excluded those on the wall, but would have been geared towards the special guys that have worn Green and Gold. I got the impression that it might have been more of a HOF kind of focus, with a story, potentially some game worn items, etc.

There has to be a balance out there between the honouring of tradition and not making newer fans feel excluded by overdoing it. It's never going to be easy to execute perfectly, but start with aspiring to find that core brand that finds the balance.

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Calling is a Hall of Heroes is terribly generic when you have an actual story to tell and celebrate, and someone to name it after who by all accounts was exactly the type of person who would be included. Jeep's story is a sad one in his passing but an honest to goodness part of our lore and should be celebrated.
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley