Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trevor Harris Called Me!!!!!

vCash

Re: Trevor Harris Called Me!!!!!

Walls of Honour and/or "Halls of Heroes" are a nice bit of tradition and lore that make fans feel they are a part of something. That is very important to retaining fans long term. I do not believe it does anything to attract new fans. Never has one fan said, oh, I want to buy a ticket because some guy named *insert ex player here* has a plaque on the wall.

I feel one of the biggest challenges this team has moving forward is the stadium. Commonwealth is not a good stadium by todays standards. It's too big. The concourse is poorly designed. Seats are too far away from the field. It's an outdoor stadium. Now I know that there will not be a new stadium built for decades, but it's a reality of todays sports fans.

I have a long list of improvements to the stadium and in-game experience that I think would help attract/keep fans. Another thread is probably a better place for those.

P.S. I got the auto message from Harris also. Don't even think I let it finish. Does anyone really think referral cash helps drive ticket sales?

vCash

A few years back I went on a tour of Emirates Stadium for the Arsenal Football Club. It was a self guided audio tour that talked about the history of the club and ended with the game day experience. It started in the massive gift shop. We went through the underground parkade, saw history of players and memorable seasons, saw replicas of past championship trophies, got photos taken where they superimposed our pictures on game day programs and newspaper articles. We went through the ownership boxes and restaurants. Then went all through the locker room. Training facility and got to sit in the actual locker stall that players use on game day. Then you walked out the tunnel to the pitch and got to stand on the sidelines at field level and sit in the player seats. Lastly, you got to sit in the media room where they hold post game press conferences. It was an amazing experience. My kids still talk about how cool it was to see behind the scenes. They also offer options where the tour is conducted by Arsenal legends and you can talk and ask questions with them.

Why could the Esks not offer something like this. Maybe one Sunday a month. I would love to see the dressing room, equipment room, have Dwayne tell stories about the past, sit in the locker stall of the players, see the coaches room, the press box. Then walk on the field and maybe throw the football around with one of the Esks legends...Giz, Danny Bass, Hector Pothier, Wilkie, etc. Maybe try a field goal with Fleming or Sean Whyte.

Send people off with a souvenir of some kind, a signed mini football, scarf or tshirt. This type of experience would make a small kid a fan for life, guaranteed.

vCash

I did the same at Manchester United...they basically have a whole museum at Old Trafford. We went on the (edge of the) field, visited the dressing room, and relived stories of the team. A friend of mine is actually running tours of Old Trafford these days.

Manchester United is the team that I love to hate, but after that tour, it become a lot harder.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Sounds awesome Glen.

A few statues outside of Commonwealth featuring Esks greats in action would be cool. Fans love to take pictures with them (see Gretzky statue)