Thread: Notes for the upcoming draft

vCash

Discussion Notes for the upcoming draft

Sorry if these next few post are a bit long, but not much to talk about and I did watch the entire combine on line so here are my observations position by position.

The players that didn't attend, I looked up on Youtube to get some kind of analysis

Receivers -

Justin McInnis - not at combine - 6'6 - 206lb - 4.67 40 yard speed - ranked #3 - good size and athleticism, average hands, average route runner, runs hard after the catch. Reminds me a bit of Rishaud Simonise (#12 pick last year)

Hergy Mayala - not at combine - 6'2 - 208lb - 4.5 40 yard speed - ranked #6 - good size and athleticism, good hands, great route runner.
    From the film, he looks better to me than McInnis.

Alexande Savard - not at combine - 6'5 - 242lb - ranked #7 - could not find any tape on him be he is being touted in the states as the best Canadian tight end prospect ever. Smooth and mean

GITTENS JR., Kurleigh - at the combine - 5'11 - 191lb - 9 bench press - 4.62 40 yard speed ranked #9 - smooth runner, good hands, deceptively shifty. On any videos I saw of him, I noticed 3 things. #1 - He is not overly physical, #2 - He made OUA defences look silly. #3 - I really liked how on almost every occasion, given the choice to go wide or cut back into the middle for YAC yards, he chose to go back in the middle and made extra yards,

JULIEN-GRANT, Kaion- at the combine - 6'1' -210lb - 7 bench press - 4.49 40 yard speed ranked #13 - athletic freak, goes up an gets the ball well in traffic, physical. Does not run routes at all. Maybe he can can but his highlights are all about getting a one on one and then just winning the battle of speed, jump or strength.

OSEI-KUSI, Chris - 6'0 - 192lb 19 bench press 4.47 40 yard speed - unranked - quicker and smoother than Julien-Grant but without the shear physical power. GEts the ball in the flats alot and uses speed to get some extra yards or blows by the DB deep on a hitch and go.

Looking at the last 3 guys, I have them all close but it's a matter of taste. It's like a poor man's 'Duke' (Julien-Grant) goes up and wins the ball in traffic, a poor man's 'Walker' (Gittens) smooth route runner and can get just enough last minute separation and a poor man's 'Zylstra' (Osei-Kusi) speed and settle into a zone.

I am not sure which one plays better for the Esks if they are just the poor mans version, but they are all good looking receivers.

The last guy I will expand on is LENIUS-DICKEY, Brayden 6'-6" 245lb - 4.75 40 yard speed. This guy is a giant. He does not have a TE style mean streak, but he is smooth with soft hands and protects the ball with his massive body. He would be a bit of a project, but could be the sleeper of the draft.

I would not be surprised to see any of these 7 receivers go in the first 2 rounds depending on their prospects down south as I also would not be surprised to see any of them get a look at NFL camp.

Rounding out the field, these 2 guys below looked descent and could be worth a late round look or free agent invite. In other years, they would be good prospects.

RICHARDS, Malik 5'11 189lb 16 bench press 4.62 40 yard speed
    ROSS, Shai 5'11 181lb DNP bench press 4.63 40 yard speed

The rest to me will not get anywhere.

vCash

Re: Notes for the upcoming draft

I liked Gittens jr out of that wr pack

vCash

Just my take on it but I haven't seen recently any drafted Cdn receivers that have stood out like Sinopoli, Clermont, Cahoon or Fantuz. Not to say that one from the combine will not be a star but if I were pulling the pin on our top two picks I would be tentative about taking a receiver.

Mark Chapman and Tevaun Smith could become starters but as yet Chapman is still trying down south and hopefully this coming season Smith wins a job here. Brescacin in Calgary, Demski, Durant and Mike Jones in Hamilton are decent but likely not a # 1 or # 2 go to receiver, at least not yet. Vandervoot in BC and Behar when here have not stood out for being early draft choices. Hopefully I haven't missed a good Cdn receiver because I'm doing this basically from memory.

With the right system and QB a couple of combine receivers might be assets but I hope we stick to tradition and go Oline or Dline , or even that DB, Lee, from UBC. If Irons lasts til the 3rd rd. I'd like to see us take him at RB.

vCash

VERTICAL JUMP

RANK PLAYER NAME MEASURE POS SCHOOL
    1 Jacob Dearborn 42 " DB Carleton

40 times

DEARBORN, Jacob 24 DB Carleton 6' 3.1" 194 4.71 4.69

BROAD JUMP

2 Jacob Dearborn 11′ 1.75″ DB Carleton

3-CONE

RANK PLAYER NAME TIME POS SCHOOL

5 Jacob Dearborn 7.09 DB Carleton

Short Shuttle Results

DEARBORN, Jacob 24 DB Carleton 6' 3.1" 194 4.34 4.38

This kid is a beast at 6' 3 he looks to me a perfect complement to Colqhoun and a bang up safety as well.
    Run the Ball up the gut around the horn it does not matter. We run we win what is so difficult to understand.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by danlaurin View Post
    VERTICAL JUMP

40 times

BROAD JUMP

3-CONE

Short Shuttle Results

This kid is a beast at 6' 3 he looks to me a perfect complement to Colqhoun and a bang up safety as well.
    If he has the Dan seal of approval tht's good enough for me!
    Brock make it so
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by danlaurin View Post
    VERTICAL JUMP

40 times

BROAD JUMP

3-CONE

Short Shuttle Results

So what are this guys 40's? The values listed are pretty far apart unless I am misreading things?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    So what are this guys 40's? The values listed are pretty far apart unless I am misreading things?
    40 is 4.69 4.71 second attempt
    Run the Ball up the gut around the horn it does not matter. We run we win what is so difficult to understand.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Some first round mock drafts to chew on...a lot of the analysts have us picking DL Robert Smith...well 4 out of 11 anyways by my count.

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/04/25/predic...ing-cfl-draft/
    Last edited by adb; 04-25-2019 at 02:36 PM.
    ôRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Well this could change things a bit...
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    Some first round mock drafts to chew on...a lot of the analysts have us picking DL Robert Smith...well 4 out of 11 anyways by my count.

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/04/25/predic...ing-cfl-draft/
    I would be happy with smith.... another Laurier product