Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 3DN: NFL exhibition game in Edmonton?

vCash

Re: 3DN: NFL exhibition game in Edmonton?

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    agreed but when ball players are signing 400 million dollar contracts but my dad, who worked in the oil patch for 60 years or so, struggles to stay retired..... there is an issue.
    Why? If people are willing to pay $100-$200-$300 a ticket.....
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    Why? If people are willing to pay $100-$200-$300 a ticket.....
    You are absolutely right about that one but it's driven me away from those leagues for the most part. I used to buy all sorts of NHL, MLB and even some NFL merchandise and had season seats to the Oilers but don't anymore. Now if the Bruins are on and I have nothing better to do, I'll watch but more times than not, I'll find something better to do.
    #PizStrong

vCash

You are absolutely right about that one but it's driven me away from those leagues for the most part. I used to buy all sorts of NHL, MLB and even some NFL merchandise and had season seats to the Oilers but don't anymore. Now if the Bruins are on and I have nothing better to do, I'll watch but more times than not, I'll find something better to do.
    I'm the same. I haven't purchased an NHL ticket in near fifteen years. I probably watch less than 20 NHL games a season on TV. The CFL is the only pro sport I actually spend any money on.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    I'm the same. I haven't purchased an NHL ticket in near fifteen years. I probably watch less than 20 NHL games a season on TV. The CFL is the only pro sport I actually spend any money on.
    x2
    #PizStrong

vCash

I don't pay for tickets either. But I'll watch NFL. I don't watch NHL because I'm an Oilers fan and the Oilers always suck. If the Oilers were worth watching, I likely would tune in at least half the time.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

Sure. But those professions aren't putting their ability to walk (or not have parkinson's at 50) on the line to entertain millions. When in Rome, eh?

They deserve the millions.
    I think the "Deserve" word is what is debatable.

In the context of professional sports economics, yes, the players deserve every bit of the share of revenues that they receive, as the alternative is that it goes into the owners' pockets. There's wishful thinking, likely naive, to want a wholesale revision in the pricing of tickets and the economics, but as you posted separately, there are people willing to pay the current prices, so it's a hard case to argue that they should be pushed artificially below what the market is willing to pay.

In the context of society, where "deserve" can be measured in a lot of subjective, values-based ways, it's hard to reconcile it. Yes, supply and demand and the specialized nature of their skill set - they are often among the best 100-1000 in the world at their profession - set the price, but it's hard to buy that they "deserve" 20-200 times the average income based on societal contributions.

I don't typically begrudge them what they're paid... it's not like if they didn't make that extra $100k that it would be going to Looner's dad. There are some professional athletes that do a better job of living up to their contracts, both on the field or off the field. I can even go so far as to agree that they earn their compensation through the risk they take on, the training and punishment that comes with their job, the uniqueness of their qualification and that people value what they do (demonstrated through willingness to pay money to watch them). I'm just not sure I can get to "deserve" in the broader context.

Then again, it won't come as news to anyone that our society is screwed up in a lot of ways.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post

In the context of professional sports economics, yes, the players deserve every bit of the share of revenues that they receive, as the alternative is that it goes into the owners' pockets. There's wishful thinking, likely naive, to want a wholesale revision in the pricing of tickets and the economics, but as you posted separately, there are people willing to pay the current prices, so it's a hard case to argue that they should be pushed artificially below what the market is willing to pay.

In the context of society, where "deserve" can be measured in a lot of subjective, values-based ways, it's hard to reconcile it. Yes, supply and demand and the specialized nature of their skill set - they are often among the best 100-1000 in the world at their profession - set the price, but it's hard to buy that they "deserve" 20-200 times the average income based on societal contributions.

I don't typically begrudge them what they're paid... it's not like if they didn't make that extra $100k that it would be going to Looner's dad. There are some professional athletes that do a better job of living up to their contracts, both on the field or off the field. I can even go so far as to agree that they earn their compensation through the risk they take on, the training and punishment that comes with their job, the uniqueness of their qualification and that people value what they do (demonstrated through willingness to pay money to watch them). I'm just not sure I can get to "deserve" in the broader context.

Then again, it won't come as news to anyone that our society is screwed up in a lot of ways.
    What I'm saying goes beyond that. Not just that they deserve their share of revenues (which they do). But that in combative pro sports they DESERVE millions for putting their ability to walk (or talk later in life) on the line to entertain the masses.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    That is definitely the key point.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

What I'm saying goes beyond that. Not just that they deserve their share of revenues (which they do). But that in combative pro sports they DESERVE millions for putting their ability to walk (or talk later in life) on the line to entertain the masses.
    what about the power linesman that risks his life to make sure we all have power? Or the Air traffic controller that has one of the most stressful jobs on the planet? Or the airline pilot that has hundreds of lives at his fingertips on a daily basis?

I can see what you are saying but professional sports are not on an island when it comes to risk.
    #PizStrong

vCash

what about the power linesman that risks his life to make sure we all have power? Or the Air traffic controller that has one of the most stressful jobs on the planet? Or the airline pilot that has hundreds of lives at his fingertips on a daily basis?

I can see what you are saying but professional sports are not on an island when it comes to risk.
    What % of power linesmen get hurt every year? What % of pro football/hockey players?

It's not the same thing. And power linesmen aren't getting hurt for your amusement.

vCash

What % of power linesmen get hurt every year? What % of pro football/hockey players?

It's not the same thing. And power linesmen aren't getting hurt for your amusement.
    Hurt...... probably a fair amount, die on the job.... probably more than pro athletes. Also I highly doubt they LOVE their job even close to the amount that an athlete does, most of us play the same game for FREE. I tore my bicep off the bone playing football recreationally.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Football players produce a product that we value more than lineman. You can question why our society is like this, and even try to change it, but you can't question that this is true. That's why top end football players deserve more.

Btw, an average employed linemen makes more than an average CFL player for a far longer period of time, it's not like they're being financially abused like machinists are.

vCash

ESPN is reporting that the AAF is suspending operations as of today.
    Does anyone recall how many ex-Esks signed down there?

vCash
    Blog Entries

I think Bullitt was the only one that came to mind.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BaronAmongYou View Post
    Football players produce a product that we value more than lineman. You can question why our society is like this, and even try to change it, but you can't question that this is true. That's why top end football players deserve more.

Btw, an average employed linemen makes more than an average CFL player for a far longer period of time, it's not like they're being financially abused like machinists are.
    I don't agree with this in the slightest. Take a poll of EVERYONE and I'd be willing to bet that the majority will enjoy power to their homes more than professional football as there are a lot more NON football fans than there are football fans.

Regarding the CFL, I agree completely and that's why I throw my support behind it over the other major leagues.
    #PizStrong

vCash

I don't agree with this in the slightest. Take a poll of EVERYONE and I'd be willing to bet that the majority will enjoy power to their homes more than professional football as there are a lot more NON football fans than there are football fans.

Regarding the CFL, I agree completely and that's why I throw my support behind it over the other major leagues.
    Like I said, you can disagree with how society has aligned its priorities, but you can't argue the amount of money pro sports generates with surprisingly few workers. We have decided that sports is more important and gets more of our money. I wonder what industry produces more revenue and profit: big league sports or power generation and distribution.

Edit to add: I agree with you on following the CFL because the prices aren't ridiculous. I get more value out of my entertainment dollar by spending 15 bucks to go to a Junior A game rather than $30 (secondary market) to go to an Oilers game, never mind dropping a hundred plus. Personally, the Oilers don't align with my outlook. So I don't give them money.
    Last edited by BaronAmongYou; 04-02-2019 at 01:47 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BaronAmongYou View Post
    Like I said, you can disagree with how society has aligned its priorities, but you can't argue the amount of money pro sports generates with surprisingly few workers. We have decided that sports is more important and gets more of our money. I wonder what industry produces more revenue and profit: big league sports or power generation and distribution.

Edit to add: I agree with you on following the CFL because the prices aren't ridiculous. I get more value out of my entertainment dollar by spending 15 bucks to go to a Junior A game rather than $30 (secondary market) to go to an Oilers game, never mind dropping a hundred plus. Personally, the Oilers don't align with my outlook. So I don't give them money.
    I guess the long and the short of it is the original statement was something along the lines of those that don't watch the NFL are over compensating for the love of the CFL and I was explaining why I prefer the CFL over ALL other major sports. I know I am in the minority and I'm ok with that.
    #PizStrong

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by writfiler View Post
    https://3downnation.com/2019/04/02/a...ck-to-the-cfl/
    ôRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash
    Blog Entries

While I never want any League to fold - the fact that Manziel is out of work again makes me chuckle just a little bit..
    Well, gentlemen, by all means, I think we ought to have an introspective moment of silence for poor old Tin-Tin.

Sefan Charles would look real nice in rotation with Mondo and Brooks.

I do agree that the better option is to go to an actual NFL game. I've done it on the cheap too. Here's how: Flight to Seattle is 80 minutes. Train right from the airport to the stadium (and a whopper of a stadium it is!!). Back to the airport afterwards. Home.

I did it a little differently and stayed over night and had some amazing food. But you can do it on the cheap. The flight down was almost all people going to the game.

And no, not everyone gushes over the NFL. Some of us do love it though. I don't the hate, though. Sure, some may not like NFL football. But I swear that others' vitriolic hate for it is just an overcompensation for the knowledge that it is superior to the CFL.

When I was a kid my #1 league was the CFL. But it hasn't been for a long time.
    I don't hate it I'm just indifferent to it, the whole NFL could fold tomorrow and it wouldn't affect me one iota.

I get that objectively speaking it's the biggest league in the world with the most money and the biggest population to draw from for support, and as a result of that the top zero-point-whatever percent of football players in the world go there, but that doesn't change the fact that I'll happily watch the Al's and Argo's go wire to wire in a meaningless game but when I flip on an NFL broadcast I'm bored out of my mind within ten seconds, so to me it's not better, not by a long shot.

I haven't watched more than a series or two of NFL ball in years, despite the fact that my buddies roped me into their fantasy league a couple of years ago, and that's not because I'm insecure about my passion for the CFL, it's because I have no connection to that league, and no investment in any of it's teams, and I've got no desire to try and change that now.

What does bother me is young people who care about the NFL as little as I do but pretend to love it because they view being an NFL fan in Canada as some kind of status symbol, and then use that to look down on those who'd rather support their own countries pro league, and among my generation, there is a TON of that kind of BS.
    Last edited by ben_the_eskimo; 04-02-2019 at 05:27 PM.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    I don't hate it I'm just indifferent to it, the whole NFL could fold tomorrow and it wouldn't affect me one iota.

I get that objectively speaking it's the biggest league in the world with the most money and the biggest population to draw from for support, and as a result of that the top zero-point-whatever percent of football players in the world go there, but that doesn't change the fact that I'll happily watch the Al's and Argo's go wire to wire in a meaningless game but when I flip on an NFL broadcast I'm board out of my mind within ten seconds, so to me it's not better, not by a long shot.

I haven't watched more than a series or two of NFL ball in years, despite the fact that my buddies roped me into their fantasy league a couple of years ago, and that's not because I'm insecure about my passion for the CFL, it's because I have no connection to that league, and no investment in any of it's teams, and I've got no desire to try and change that now.

What does bother me is young people who care about the NFL as little as I do but pretend to love it because they view being an NFL fan in Canada as some kind of status symbol, and then use that to look down on those who'd rather support their own countries pro league, and among my generation, there is a TON of that kind of BS.
    X2! Although I'm bored not board ...and I have watched Als/Argos games wire to wire.
    Last edited by adb; 04-02-2019 at 04:27 PM.

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    X2! Although I'm bored not board ...and I have watched Als/Argos games wire to wire.
    Haha thanks, apperantly I should have put a little more effort my proofreading lol.

vCash
    Blog Entries

https://3downnation.com/2019/04/03/w...d-a-crazy-day/

vCash

vCash

I’m going to a Jets vs Giants game in New York, lower bowl, 30 yard line, seats are $75 each.
    Placing the Alberta Flag on the Calgary Flames uniform is akin to putting lipstick on a Pig
    Pizmo Loves Nanookster

vCash

Wrong thread
    Placing the Alberta Flag on the Calgary Flames uniform is akin to putting lipstick on a Pig
    Pizmo Loves Nanookster

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Nanookster View Post
    I’m going to a Jets vs Giants game in New York, lower bowl, 30 yard line, seats are $75 each.
    This is why I don't understand anyone who would pay $430 for an exhibition game NOT in an NFL city.

If I go to an NFL game, it's going to be at the actual stadium and city the team plays in. I'd rather experience it with the real game day hoopla and not in Winnipeg!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jtuck09 View Post
    This is why I don't understand anyone who would pay $430 for an exhibition game NOT in an NFL city.

If I go to an NFL game, it's going to be at the actual stadium and city the team plays in. I'd rather experience it with the real game day hoopla and not in Winnipeg!
    The experience in Seattle is amazing. I'll definitely do that one every year or two.

vCash

The experience in Seattle is amazing. I'll definitely do that one every year or two.
    Never done Seattle done Arizona twice and I feel the exact same way it's off the chain as the young kids say
    In Rod we trust