Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3DN: NFL exhibition game in Edmonton?

vCash
    Blog Entries

NFL 3DN: NFL exhibition game in Edmonton?

As per a new article: https://3downnation.com/2019/03/26/r...regina-report/

Possible preseason match between Green Bay and Vegland/Oakgas Raiders is what the article states midway through.

Thoughts?

I would much prefer Green Bay vs Minnesota if it was up to me, but just having an NFL game here would be fun!
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

Re: 3DN: NFL exhibition game in Edmonton?

According to Morley Scott, the Esks have shut this down by confirming that they are not bidding for the game.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    According to Morley Scott, the Esks have shut this down by confirming that they are not bidding for the game.
    Good.

I still want a CFL exhibition game at Westhills Stadium in Langford/Victoria though. Now that they've expanded seating capacity, it may happen. Fingers crossed.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Good.

I still want a CFL exhibition game at Westhills Stadium in Langford/Victoria though. Now that they've expanded seating capacity, it may happen. Fingers crossed.
    I'll walk down the street and join you for the tailgate.

vCash

I'll walk down the street and join you for the tailgate.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

I agreed with a Riders writer when the rumour first surfaced in Regina... this I just the Raiders looking for new municipalities to milk, having been booted out of Oakland.

If someone is an NFL fan, the better -albeit expensive- option would be to travel and attend an actual NFL game. A better sense of the culture and experience. Rather than an meaningless exhibition game on a neutral site.
    Does Regina/Edmonton/Winnipeg really expect people to flock in to attend that? Rather than make a vacation to a cooler destination in the US?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by popo View Post
    I agreed with a Riders writer when the rumour first surfaced in Regina... this I just the Raiders looking for new municipalities to milk, having been booted out of Oakland.

If someone is an NFL fan, the better -albeit expensive- option would be to travel and attend an actual NFL game. A better sense of the culture and experience. Rather than an meaningless exhibition game on a neutral site.
    Does Regina/Edmonton/Winnipeg really expect people to flock in to attend that? Rather than make a vacation to a cooler destination in the US?

An NFL game in Edmonton? I know the Esks shot it down but the Packers as the Raiders opposition would have been a sellout within an hour, espeically with the chance to see Aaron Rodgers play even for just a single series.
    Check out my stuff on Avrysports.com

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Blogger Avry View Post
    An NFL game in Edmonton? I know the Esks shot it down but the Packers as the Raiders opposition would have been a sellout within an hour, espeically with the chance to see Aaron Rodgers play even for just a single series.
    No you don't get that! You get the Dolphins vs Bengals! and no starters! Enjoy
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Too bad Edmonton isn't bidding. I'd be first in line to buy tickets.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    Too bad Edmonton isn't bidding. I'd be first in line to buy tickets.
    Why?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    Why?
    I love the NFL, mate. My #1 favorite league.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

I love the NFL, mate. My #1 favorite league.
    Oh ok, I didn't know that, fair enough then.

Personally, as a 29 year old I get so sick and tired of having to listen to my friends gush over the NFL all the time that I have become super jaded towards it. I used to try and keep up with it but that was ten years ago, I couldn't give a rats arse these days, and the thought of all the American-wannabe NFL fan boys tripping over themselves to pay big money to watch a meaningless preseason game is nauseating.

That's just me though.

vCash

Personally, as a 29 year old I get so sick and tired of having to listen to my friends gush over the NFL all the time that I have become super jaded towards it. I used to try and keep up with it but that was ten years ago, I couldn't give a rats arse these days, and the thought of all the American-wannabe NFL fan boys tripping over themselves to pay big money to watch a meaningless preseason game is nauseating.

That's just me though.
    nope not just you, this is EXACTLY how I feel about the NFL
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

I was never much of an NFL fan, but over the past several years the on-field product has undeniably gotten a lot more entertaining. The 6-3 snooze-fests are almost a thing of the past (except for this year's SuperBore). I've returned to it recently.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by popo View Post

I tend to agree - If I'm going to an NFL game, I'm wanting the whole experience... the sizzle that they're famous for, in addition to the steak. I want the tailgate, I want the production value, I want the partisan crowd.

That said, I can understand how there could be a festival type atmosphere around an NFL game, even a pre-season game, coming to town, especially for some cities where it makes them feel a bit more "big-league".

I don't blink at spending $400 on Grey Cup once a year, as it's just become tradition and a cost I budget for, but I'm unlikely to spend $100 on a concert or $150 on an NFL preseason game. No critique of anyone who values it differently, but I do admit that I'm glad that the EEFC didn't go out of their way to allow the football ticket buying wallet to be potentially cannibalized for fans with a limited spend that wasn't big enough to cover both leagues.

vCash

I tend to agree - If I'm going to an NFL game, I'm wanting the whole experience... the sizzle that they're famous for, in addition to the steak. I want the tailgate, I want the production value, I want the partisan crowd.

That said, I can understand how there could be a festival type atmosphere around an NFL game, even a pre-season game, coming to town, especially for some cities where it makes them feel a bit more "big-league".

I don't blink at spending $400 on Grey Cup once a year, as it's just become tradition and a cost I budget for, but I'm unlikely to spend $100 on a concert or $150 on an NFL preseason game. No critique of anyone who values it differently, but I do admit that I'm glad that the EEFC didn't go out of their way to allow the football ticket buying wallet to be potentially cannibalized for fans with a limited spend that wasn't big enough to cover both leagues.
    I've been to Arizona for 2 games it was pretty cool, not as cool as a Vegas hockey game but definately on the upper echelon of cool things I've seen in my 42 years
    In Rod we trust

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    nope not just you, this is EXACTLY how I feel about the NFL
    Same here. No interest whatsoever.
    Just a quick shout out to Mr."Winning isn't everything" for pis*ing away not one but TWO HoF QB's. F*ck you Len and good riddance.

vCash

That's just me though.
    NFL is one of my favourite leagues also. I'd have been there with bells on. I've had the chance to cover two NFL preseason games, the Hall of Fame Game in Canton in 2009 (Bills-Titans) and 2010 (Cowboys-Bengals). The NFL experience even for a preseason game is something else and can't really be compared to any other sporting experience pre game and during.

I'm also just a football guy in general, I'll always love the CFL, NFL, college ball, startup leagues (AAF) and even Arena Football. I had a blast going to an AFL game when LA used to have a team in 2015.
    Check out my stuff on Avrysports.com

vCash

I do agree that the better option is to go to an actual NFL game. I've done it on the cheap too. Here's how: Flight to Seattle is 80 minutes. Train right from the airport to the stadium (and a whopper of a stadium it is!!). Back to the airport afterwards. Home.

I did it a little differently and stayed over night and had some amazing food. But you can do it on the cheap. The flight down was almost all people going to the game.

And no, not everyone gushes over the NFL. Some of us do love it though. I don't the hate, though. Sure, some may not like NFL football. But I swear that others' vitriolic hate for it is just an overcompensation for the knowledge that it is superior to the CFL.

When I was a kid my #1 league was the CFL. But it hasn't been for a long time.
    Last edited by Deathsdoorstep; 03-29-2019 at 03:08 PM.

vCash

I haven't watched an nfl game since 1993

vCash

I am a big nfl fan as well as a cfl fan, having said that ex games are usually as bad as ex games are up here and the CFL has a vastly better rules set. Other than to say 'i have been to an nfl game' not sure it would be that great.

And lord knows we do not need any more ammo for the foolish NFL is god and the CFL is crap crowd.

vCash

I do agree that the better option is to go to an actual NFL game. I've done it on the cheap too. Here's how: Flight to Seattle is 80 minutes. Train right from the airport to the stadium (and a whopper of a stadium it is!!). Back to the airport afterwards. Home.

I did it a little differently and stayed over night and had some amazing food. But you can do it on the cheap. The flight down was almost all people going to the game.

And no, not everyone gushes over the NFL. Some of us do love it though. I don't the hate, though. Sure, some may not like NFL football. But I swear that others' vitriolic hate for it is just an overcompensation for the knowledge that it is superior to the CFL.

When I was a kid my #1 league was the CFL. But it hasn't been for a long time.
    Maybe for some but not for me. I've developed a distaste for most major sports as the price to attend a game is ridiculous and I always feel like I'm padding the pockets of millionaire players and billionaire owners (I know this isn't always the case). Hence my love for the CFL game.

vCash

Maybe for some but not for me. I've developed a distaste for most major sports as the price to attend a game is ridiculous and I always feel like I'm padding the pockets of millionaire players and billionaire owners (I know this isn't always the case). Hence my love for the CFL game.
    Fair. But I think that pro athletes in combative sports deserve those millions. And the owners deserve the millions in profits too.

I don't risk concussion, broken bones, torn ACL or paralyzation at MY job. And if I'm risking millions, I'll be happy to make millions.

vCash

If I had a local monopoly with my Ford franchise, why would I want to make my customers drool over Ferrari?

vCash

Fair. But I think that pro athletes in combative sports deserve those millions. And the owners deserve the millions in profits too.

I don't risk concussion, broken bones, torn ACL or paralyzation at MY job. And if I'm risking millions, I'll be happy to make millions.
    This is reason #1 why I got out of the trades. I don't miss making 18 bucks an hour (back when that meant I could buy a house and support a family) and worrying about getting wrapped up in a machine.

vCash

I think ultimately this game was only potentially available because of the way the Raiders bungled their exit from Oakland. They pulled the pin on their lease there thinking they could line up something either with Levis Stadium, AT and T (SF Giants homey or possibly Sam Boyd Stadium in Vegas. When those options all fell through they were left scrambling to find a home for 2019.

Sounds like the 11th hour deal they cooked up to stay at the Oakland Coliseum literally made it financially better for them to play their preseason games elsewhere. Hence their desire to find somewhere, anywhere to play their ex-games. A promoter trying to broker a deal wound up trying to do it in Saskatchewan. The Riders balked at it because they were scheduled to kick off less than 24 hours after the anticipated final gun of the Raiders game ended. It would have meant working through the night to get the stadium ready for a CFL game. If anything went sideways on that process it would be the Riders who would have to tell the fans waiting outside the gates that the game might be delayed. Edmonton wouldn't have that luxury as they are scheduled to play in the same Friday night time slot as the Raider game is expected to go.
    Last edited by Hammer24; 03-31-2019 at 10:14 PM.

vCash

I can see what you are saying but there are all sorts of professions that are dangerous that aren't getting paid anywhere close to that. I guess my frustration lies in the ever widening gap between the have and the have nots.

vCash

I can see what you are saying but there are all sorts of professions that are dangerous that aren't getting paid anywhere close to that. I guess my frustration lies in the ever widening gap between the have and the have nots.
    Sure. But those professions aren't putting their ability to walk (or not have parkinson's at 50) on the line to entertain millions. When in Rome, eh?

They deserve the millions.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Unless your name is Vince McMahon and you treat your athletes like $h!te (see youtube link below starting at the 2:26 mark)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaOx5_r41OQ
    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Sure. But those professions aren't putting their ability to walk (or not have parkinson's at 50) on the line to entertain millions. When in Rome, eh?

They deserve the millions.
    agreed but when ball players are signing 400 million dollar contracts but my dad, who worked in the oil patch for 60 years or so, struggles to stay retired..... there is an issue.