Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alberta Election 2019

vCash

Politics Alberta Election 2019

Leaders debate is tonight.

How about it?

Every time one of them says "taxes", "children" or "pipelines" you have to take a shot?

Who's in?
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash
    Blog Entries

Re: Alberta Election 2019

Time and channel?
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

vCash

5:30pm Ta-Nite!

CBC, CTV, Global

- - - Updated - - -

Bonus, if someone says "kamikazee" you have to take 2 shots!!!
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

At the other end of the world right now...not in touch.

Is there really any other outcome possible other than a Conservative win? The NDP win last time was a perfect storm of split conservative vote and people being fed up with conservative leadership at the time. Those conditions don't apply this time around. I always assumed it would be "one and done" for them.

The kamikaze thing seems like an annoyance to the Cons, but nothing more. Am I reading this properly?
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

"Ladies and Geeeeentlemen....Ta-NITE we have for your entertainment....4 challengers for the title!

In this corner, wearing pages from the Bible and Adam Smith's 'Wealth of Nations'....Jason Kenney!!!!

In this corner, wearing the orange and.....blue???...to mislead those who don't pay attention...Rachel Notley!!!!

In this corner, wearing the light blue and white so reminiscent of the PC party and driving right down the middle...Stephen Mandel!!!!

And in this corner, wearing red and having no chance whatsoever.....some guy!!!!"

vCash

I’m liking Kenney and Mandels arguments so far. I’ve got a strange feeling that the NDP is going to win a small majority when the ballots are counted.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    5:30pm Ta-Nite!

CBC, CTV, Global

- - - Updated - - -

Bonus, if someone says "kamikazee" you have to take 2 shots!!!
    Everytime Kenney said Trudeau Ally i had a shot....going to the hopital to have my stomach pumped now
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    Everytime Kenney said Trudeau Ally i had a shot....going to the hopital to have my stomach pumped now
    I’ll meet you there, I had a shot every time Notley said “Mr. Kenney”. The debate really didn’t accomplish a lot tonight. Lots of attacks, yet actually played pretty safe by all parties. Unlike 4 years ago when Notley won, or should I say Prentice lost on debate night.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by eskfan152 View Post
    I’m liking Kenney and Mandels arguments so far. I’ve got a strange feeling that the NDP is going to win a small majority when the ballots are counted.
    That is only possible if the NDP wins rural seats again, and that's not going to happen.

vCash

UCP will win easily. The day the NDP was going to lose this election is the day after they were elected 4 years ago.

Mandel is a 100% tool with no cred at all in my books.

I actually like some of the stuff I have heard from Khan and the Liberals.

UCP majority.

vCash

It's too bad. I liked what the NDP did under the circumstances. I'm worried about how the province is going to regress under the UCP. It's too bad the Alberta Party couldn't establish themselves as a more credible alternative, I've liked them as a "center" party in the past, but I think making Mandel the leader was a mistake.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by nafnikufesin View Post
    It's too bad. I liked what the NDP did under the circumstances. I'm worried about how the province is going to regress under the UCP. It's too bad the Alberta Party couldn't establish themselves as a more credible alternative, I've liked them as a "center" party in the past, but I think making Mandel the leader was a mistake.
    The Alberta party in my mind had a chance to make gains as their previous leader Clark had some cred. Mandel is a pure opportunist that will resonate with no one even if the party has decent policies.

I am a pretty clear NDP supporter but also a realist knowing how most of the province leans.

I just wish I was hearing something from Kenny that didn't sound stupid (in my mind) and regressive back to the the Klein era and shades of Doug Ford and his ilk.

vCash

It should be a huge UCP majority. 65-70 seats.

I find that disappointing. People care more about tax cuts than human rights.

vCash

Not to mention that the tax cuts won't even benefit most of the people that are voting for them. And the UCP won't change the fact that oil prices aren't determined by the provincial government, that diversification of the economy will help us in the long run, and that if they get rid of the provincial carbon tax (that was originally promoted by Preston Manning as a market driven way of addressing climate change) will only mean that a federal one kicks in, so instead of the money staying in Alberta (and actually getting more from other provinces that don't have a provincial plan), we send more of our money out of the province.

vCash

When a political party starts promoting tax cuts, those cuts seldom benefit the people they want to vote for them.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Thing about a carbon tax is it can definitely work to reduce CO2 emissions....if its about 10 times the size of our current carbon tax. 5 cents a litre isn't going to stop anyone from driving a Cadillac Escalade. But of you implement a carbon tax like that then the economic results are catastrophic.

It's time to seriously consider mandatory emissions standards and nuclear power.

And I know not everyone loves Stephen Mandel, but at his age (73) and the piles of money he has I would hardly say that it is "opportunistic" to come take over a small political party, re-constitute all 87 riding associations, build a real fundraising machine, and then run all over the province in a an election....only to win 1-3 seats and pass on the project to someone else. There's no doubt in my mind that like many people I know he was disconcerted to see that the only 2 options were "socially ultra conservative-fiscally conservative" and "socially ultra progressive-fiscally insane".

I like that there's a fiscally responsible and socially moderate option out there. I will likely vote for Mandel's Party, along with the other 10% (up from 3% 4 years ago)

vCash

Thing about a carbon tax is it can definitely work to reduce CO2 emissions....if its about 10 times the size of our current carbon tax. 5 cents a litre isn't going to stop anyone from driving a Cadillac Escalade. But of you implement a carbon tax like that then the economic results are catastrophic.

It's time to seriously consider mandatory emissions standards and nuclear power.

And I know not everyone loves Stephen Mandel, but at his age (73) and the piles of money he has I would hardly say that it is "opportunistic" to come take over a small political party, re-constitute all 87 riding associations, build a real fundraising machine, and then run all over the province in a an election....only to win 1-3 seats and pass on the project to someone else. There's no doubt in my mind that like many people I know he was disconcerted to see that the only 2 options were "socially ultra conservative-fiscally conservative" and "socially ultra progressive-fiscally insane".

I like that there's a fiscally responsible and socially moderate option out there. I will likely vote for Mandel's Party, along with the other 10% (up from 3% 4 years ago)
    I generally like his party's platform, but I truly believe they accepted anyone who applied to run for them. Their candidate in my riding met me at my door, he was ill prepared and generally a putz, no chance I want him to represent my riding.

- - - Updated - - -

Not to mention that the tax cuts won't even benefit most of the people that are voting for them. And the UCP won't change the fact that oil prices aren't determined by the provincial government, that diversification of the economy will help us in the long run, and that if they get rid of the provincial carbon tax (that was originally promoted by Preston Manning as a market driven way of addressing climate change) will only mean that a federal one kicks in, so instead of the money staying in Alberta (and actually getting more from other provinces that don't have a provincial plan), we send more of our money out of the province.
    No one seems to have called them on this. Even in Saskatchewan, during their law suit, they are paying. Speaking of law suit, do I want my tax money paying for a suit?
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    I generally like his party's platform, but I truly believe they accepted anyone who applied to run for them. Their candidate in my riding met me at my door, he was ill prepared and generally a putz, no chance I want him to represent my riding.

- - - Updated - - -

No one seems to have called them on this. Even in Saskatchewan, during their law suit, they are paying. Speaking of law suit, do I want my tax money paying for a suit?
    Especially an unwinnable one.....
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Yes it can, in economics it's called the tragedy of the commons, tax those things with a negative externality to reach an more optimal market balance while rewarding things with a positive externality.
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Especially an unwinnable one.....
    I'm not sure about that.

Besides, the federal Tories will likely do away with the federal carbon tax after the October election.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes it can, in economics it's called the tragedy of the commons, tax those things with a negative externality to reach an more optimal market balance while rewarding things with a positive externality.
    The things you are taxing are extremely inelastic in a winter climate, mate.

vCash

I'm not sure about that.

Besides, the federal Tories will likely do away with the federal carbon tax after the October election.

- - - Updated - - -

There are still many ways to alter behaviours vis a vis heating your home in winter...
    In Rod we trust

vCash

As I am no longer a resident of my home province, I don't have a horse in this race. I too would put my money on a UCP majority, although if that does happen I hope services don't see the extreme cuts some are speculating. I think the NDP were wise to invest money in the education and health systems - especially the way the population is growing in Alberta.
    I hope everyone out there takes the time to gather as much information as they can and vote with their heads; I think as long as people truly understand what each of the parties will truly bring to Albertans and vote accordingly that is more than you could probably hope for in today's world of soundbites, misleading clickbait headlines and twitter bots.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

There are still many ways to alter behaviours vis a vis heating your home in winter...
    That's true. All I'm saying is that the carbon tax is too small to affect behaviour, but to make it large enough to do so would have very negative economic condequences. So, I'm not a fan of carbon taxation as a means of fighting climate change.

vCash

I'm not sure about that.

- - - Updated - - -

If he gets a majority which is going to be hard to do without Quebec not to mention Ontario often votes against the party in power. We shall see.
    In Rod we trust

vCash

If he gets a majority which is going to be hard to do without Quebec not to mention Ontario often votes against the party in power. We shall see.
    Oh, he's going to win Ontario. If Trudeau continues to cut his own throat (a lawsuit? Really?) it will get worse and worse for them.

vCash

The Liberals need to get Trudeau out as leader, but that won't happen until after the election.

vCash

The Liberals need to get Trudeau out as leader, but that won't happen until after the election.
    You know, it is crazy. All he had to do was apologize for putting pressure on JWR, thank her for her guidance, and it all would have blown over by now and they would have their lead over the Conservatives back. But as it stands they trail the Conservatives from anywhere from 4-10 points depending on the poll...and it gets worse each day.

vCash

The new (to me) NDP radio ads are great. They're using the fake radio call in format the UCP was using before the election and turning it around on them. The only problem is the fear mongering admission that the NDP is really bad for Alberta, but Kenney might be worse so... be afraid. I guess. Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

vCash

You know, it is crazy. All he had to do was apologize for putting pressure on JWR, thank her for her guidance, and it all would have blown over by now and they would have their lead over the Conservatives back. But as it stands they trail the Conservatives from anywhere from 4-10 points depending on the poll...and it gets worse each day.
    Exactly. What happened initially, while inappropriate, probably would have been done by any PM regardless of their party, and probably has been happening more often than we will ever know for the past century. But Trudeau's handling of this has been a mess, and he digs a deeper hole for himself each day. Now I really don't know who to support federally.

vCash

Was Kenny really that worried about Bryan Jean that his ucp campaign had to stoop so low and do some of the things they appear to have done? The latest being intercepting email addresses and rigging votes. Just dumb.