Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Alberta Election 2019

vCash

Re: Alberta Election 2019

No kidding. Kenney was pretty much a lock to win that race anyway, without dirty tricks.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

...and when Kenney is Premier, where will his desire to crush all opponents at any cost take him?
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

My impression is that Kenney will do anything to gain and keep political power. I honestly don't expect him to be in Alberta long. Once a decent opportunity opens to lead the Conservative party federally and become PM he'll be gone. He reminds me a lot of Chris Jones actually.
    GO ESKS GO!

vCash

Well there hasn't been a Premier who became PM since the 1890s.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    Well there hasn't been a Premier who became PM since the 1890s.
    You may be right...that's really interesting.

vCash

I think the best chance of that happening is with Brad Wall. And holy hell would I like to see that happen.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by eskfan152 View Post
    I think the best chance of that happening is with Brad Wall. And holy hell would I like to see that happen.
    Well, if Andrew Scheer blows it this fall, the leadership of the Conservative Party will be WIDE open. And, as we all know, Scheer blowing it is entirely possible.

vCash

The cheating evidence against Kenney in the UCP leadership race just keep stacking up.

So, let me get this straight. The guy cheats to win, wants to allow teachers to out gay kids, will eliminate the Notley carbon tax which will just be replaced by the Trudeau carbon tax, and thinks that a referendum on equalization will actually change equalization??? Has he read the constitution??

And 1 out of 2 Albertans are going to vote for this guy?

Very sad, when there are better options out there.

vCash

Well, if Andrew Scheer blows it this fall, the leadership of the Conservative Party will be WIDE open. And, as we all know, Scheer blowing it is entirely possible.
    Even if he only wins a minority they may get rid of him. There's a reason that a lot of high profile cons didn't go into the leadership last time basically because they felt they wouldn't be able to win this election (they didn't count on Trudeau being well let's leave it at that) so yes it will be wide open. Lisa Raitt will be in there that's the reason she's been learning french, O'Toole will be in there but you can also throw in a bunch of other high profile names into the mix like a Peter McKay, a Brad Wall (although I've heard Brad may have some legal troubles coming up), etc. It'll be a good old battle royale!
    In Rod we trust

vCash

The cheating evidence against Kenney in the UCP leadership race just keep stacking up.

So, let me get this straight. The guy cheats to win, wants to allow teachers to out gay kids, will eliminate the Notley carbon tax which will just be replaced by the Trudeau carbon tax, and thinks that a referendum on equalization will actually change equalization??? Has he read the constitution??

And 1 out of 2 Albertans are going to vote for this guy?

Very sad, when there are better options out there.
    Scary times for Alberta ahead. We've learned nothing from Trump and Doug Ford.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by nafnikufesin View Post
    Scary times for Alberta ahead. We've learned nothing from Trump and Doug Ford.
    Far too many Albertans want specifically the negative aspects of what Trump and Ford have brought to the table, so I'm not surprised.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Far too many Albertans want specifically the negative aspects of what Trump and Ford have brought to the table, so I'm not surprised.
    Perhaps that is even scarier than who gets elected.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    Even if he only wins a minority they may get rid of him. There's a reason that a lot of high profile cons didn't go into the leadership last time basically because they felt they wouldn't be able to win this election (they didn't count on Trudeau being well let's leave it at that) so yes it will be wide open. Lisa Raitt will be in there that's the reason she's been learning french, O'Toole will be in there but you can also throw in a bunch of other high profile names into the mix like a Peter McKay, a Brad Wall (although I've heard Brad may have some legal troubles coming up), etc. It'll be a good old battle royale!
    'Ol Max will wish he had shown more patience and better judgement.

vCash

If Danielle Smith and some of the other wildroses had shown an ounce of character and fortitude she would be running to get re-elected right now instead of facing a kenny only choice.

We are going to have as divided of a province (all rural pc, most of calgary pc, most of edmonton ndp) as the usa is federally and canada will be federally next election.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    If Danielle Smith and some of the other wildroses had shown an ounce of character and fortitude she would be running to get re-elected right now instead of facing a kenny only choice.

We are going to have as divided of a province (all rural pc, most of calgary pc, most of edmonton ndp) as the usa is federally and canada will be federally next election.
    Had Rachel Notley not implemented a carbon tax she didn't campaign on she would be looking at a second term.

vCash

Had Rachel Notley not implemented a carbon tax she didn't campaign on she would be looking at a second term.
    Nah, she was doomed from day 1. All the stars aligned in the last election (Liberals and Alberta party not credible options, Wild Rose splitting the vote for conservatives who had grown tired of the PC problems), and the conservative forces mobilized to get themselves as united as possible (even if it meant aligning with extremists).

They are using the carbon tax as a rallying cry, but the funny thing is the whole notion of a carbon tax was initially conceptualized by right wing politicians, led by Manning (although I'm sure they would have called it a "carbon user fee" and his supporters would have been fine with it), but because they didn't actually initiate it, now they are against it.

vCash

Manning was the lone conservative voice in favor of taxing carbon. But in his mind it had to hit heavy emitters, and did not offer rebates. It actually had to be punitive to affect behaviour.

Others conservatives did not agree.

The other thing that hurt Notley (although I still believe that without the carbon tax she'd win this year) is that she didn't even make an attempt at fiscal responsibility.

But remember, this is the Province of Iveson and Nenshi now. This isn't your father's Alberta anymore.

vCash

No chance whatsoever were the NDP going to get elected, no matter what. Once the price of oil took the dive there was literally zero chance at all. People will trot out all sorts of 'reasons' but the only real reason is that this province is die hard conservatives and it took a near act of god for the ndp to get elected last time.

A great many people probably do not even know about ramifications of the carbon tax, just the dreaded words.

The carbon tax is a pure 'get me elected' issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Manning was the lone conservative voice in favor of taxing carbon. But in his mind it had to hit heavy emitters, and did not offer rebates. It actually had to be punitive to affect behaviour.

Others conservatives did not agree.

The other thing that hurt Notley (although I still believe that without the carbon tax she'd win this year) is that she didn't even make an attempt at fiscal responsibility.

But remember, this is the Province of Iveson and Nenshi now. This isn't your father's Alberta anymore.
    The bolded part I agree on, that is the one big failing of the NDP in their term.

As an NDP supporter it's going to be too bad when almost everything good they have done will be repealed on political and ideological grounds and that we are going right back 30 years ago into the Klein and buddies style of governing which in the end imo does not work well.

vCash

No matter what? You mean to say that if Notley had not brought in a carbon tax, and had run smaller deficits that she wouldn't win? No way. Jason Kenney is a HUGE douchebag. Because of that Notley is trailing by only 7 points, not 27. Had she made an attempt at fiscal responsibility and had not brought in a carbon tax she would win this election.

vCash

No matter what? You mean to say that if Notley had not brought in a carbon tax, and had run smaller deficits that she wouldn't win? No way. Jason Kenney is a HUGE douchebag. Because of that Notley is trailing by only 7 points, not 27. Had she made an attempt at fiscal responsibility and had not brought in a carbon tax she would win this election.
    The kooky far left enviro warrior industry killing NDP acted exactly like you'd expect the kooky far left enviro warrior industry killing NDP to act. We got exactly what was voted for. Had she made an attempt to be fiscally responsible and not tax her people to death she wouldn't be in the NDP. They'll get 30-40% of the vote again this year because that many people want kill the economy and spend our children's money.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BaronAmongYou View Post
    The kooky far left enviro warrior industry killing NDP acted exactly like you'd expect the kooky far left enviro warrior industry killing NDP to act. We got exactly what was voted for. Had she made an attempt to be fiscally responsible and not tax her people to death she wouldn't be in the NDP. They'll get 30-40% of the vote again this year because that many people want kill the economy and spend our children's money.
    lol, you are out to lunch. Just a mantra without even looking at the real issues.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, no matter what the NDP would not win. Zero chance at all. I said at the time before they brought in any legislation. If it isn't the carbon tax it would be the minimum wage, if not that the farm safety bill. If the last 4 years were low debt and rosy, it could always be rosier. The NDP had zero chance the moment the Right wingers banded together.

If anything the Kenny douche bit proves it.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    lol, you are out to lunch. Just a mantra without even looking at the real issues.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, no matter what the NDP would not win. Zero chance at all. I said at the time before they brought in any legislation. If it isn't the carbon tax it would be the minimum wage, if not that the farm safety bill. If the last 4 years were low debt and rosy, it could always be rosier. The NDP had zero chance the moment the Right wingers banded together.

If anything the Kenny douche bit proves it.
    No, I disagree. You brought up the real issues and the NDP failed on all of them. The carbon tax is bad for Albertan. Increasing minimum wage is bad for Albertans. The high debt is bad for Albertans. The farm safety bill was probably bad for rural Albertans (I really have no idea on this one). The NDP failed Alberta on all the real issues. You predicting they'd fail is exactly what I did because the fringe left always fails their people. That's what their ideology does.

vCash

Meanwhile, the issues the NDP should be good at like homelessness, class sizes, hospital wait times, social cohesion, poverty, and similar issues... well, I sure have noticed the problems getting better.

vCash

No, I disagree. You brought up the real issues and the NDP failed on all of them. The carbon tax is bad for Albertan. Increasing minimum wage is bad for Albertans. The high debt is bad for Albertans. The farm safety bill was probably bad for rural Albertans (I really have no idea on this one). The NDP failed Alberta on all the real issues. You predicting they'd fail is exactly what I did because the fringe left always fails their people. That's what their ideology does.
    No, I disagree.

- - - Updated - - -

Meanwhile, the issues the NDP should be good at like homelessness, class sizes, hospital wait times, social cohesion, poverty, and similar issues... well, I sure have noticed the problems getting better.
    Not likely to be getting better under the upcoming slash and burn economics of the UCP either.
    GO ESKS GO!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GungaDin View Post

Not likely to be getting better under the upcoming slash and burn economics of the UCP either.
    Fear mongering. We know the NDP is unwilling or incapable of solving these problems. Yet you're pushing the idea that votes should be based on an unfounded fear of the conservative bogeyman. Of course we know the government, and government funded organizations, run so efficiently and lean in this province that any threat of reducing spending is an obvious sign of looming catastrophe.

In conclusion... NO, I DISAGREE.

vCash

I'm hearing here the usual cries of bogeymen on both sides of the aisle. If you support party X, it implies that none of party Y's policies make any sense, and have no chance of working. And more, party Y is completely incompetent at solving any problems.

The opinions across the aisle are too polarized here for there to be much meaningful dialogue. I hope we can open ourselves up to considering that the other side might have some good ideas; and that, just because we disagree with their philosophy, does not mean that they are or will be utterly incompetent failures.

I mean to apply this in both directions, so now that I've placed myself in both lines of fire, shoot away

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    I'm hearing here the usual cries of bogeymen on both sides of the aisle. If you support party X, it implies that none of party Y's policies make any sense, and have no chance of working. And more, party Y is completely incompetent at solving any problems.

The opinions across the aisle are too polarized here for there to be much meaningful dialogue. I hope we can open ourselves up to considering that the other side might have some good ideas; and that, just because we disagree with their philosophy, does not mean that they are or will be utterly incompetent failures.

I mean to apply this in both directions, so now that I've placed myself in both lines of fire, shoot away
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-_JhRJ0tWA
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post

The difference of course is party X is in power and we know what they do. They are not a boogeyman. Their debt, decay, and folly is well know and harmful fact. We can only guess how the boogeyman that is party Y may fair, if elected. One party, if they were to run on their record, would have their record found wanting. Therefore they must make the other to be the dreaded boogeyman.

If you think the alberta election is bad, just wait for this fall when a much worse, much more destructive party must decide whether to run on their record or run against a boogeyman. Well, the decision has been made. They showed their hand when they bribed the media.

vCash

If you think the alberta election is bad, just wait for this fall when a much worse, much more destructive party must decide whether to run on their record or run against a boogeyman. Well, the decision has been made. They showed their hand when they bribed the media.
    Yeah, but don't you mean *next* fall?

vCash

This October will be a nasty election campaign. I hope Canadians aren't stupid enough to elect Justin Trudeau for a second time. But Baron is right, he did bribe the media.

Remember JWR's testimony when she claimed that the PMO has said that they had a lineup of journos ready to write editorials saying that overruling the DPP was okay?

Then look at the journos who wrote editorials defending JT and bashing JWR and JP. Remember who they are. I have.

But then again, there are a host of right wing journos here in Alberta who are more than willing to overlook Jason Kenney and the UCPs anti-gay bigotry. Allowing teachers to out gay kids to their parents? That ALONE is reason to look for another option.
    Last edited by Deathsdoorstep; 04-13-2019 at 08:40 AM.