Thread: I received and apology letter and signed football from Randy Ambrose last week

vCash

Tell I received and apology letter and signed football from Randy Ambrose last week

Last season when Reilly was driven to the ground and no call was made in the game or replay I sent a registered letter to the Commish asking why there was no call on the play and why the command centre got it wrong.

This is the text from the email I sent:

October 8, 2018

CFL Commissioner Randy Ambrosie
    THE CANADIAN FOOTBALL LEAGUE
    50 Wellington Street East - 3rd Floor
    Toronto, ON M5E 1C8, CANADA

Commissioner Randy Ambrosie,

As a 27 year season ticket holder of the Edmonton Eskimos I would like an explanation on the Command Centres ruling on the hit on Mike Reilly in the Edmonton/Saskatchewan game on October 8, 2018.

In regards to Play #135, the CFL Command Centre ruled there was no clear obvious roughing the passer on the play and ruled a Saskatchewan touchdown.

Mike Reilly appeared to be hit above the shoulder, he was definitely driven to the ground, and the Rider defender definitely landed on the Eskimo QB with his full weight. There is absolutely no debating he landed on Reilly with his full weight. Not a single portion of the Rider defender’s body touched the ground. This was very clearly roughing the passer by the CFL’s own rulebook definition. From Rule 7:

Article 4 — Roughing The Passer

Because the act of passing puts the passer in a particularly vulnerable position to injury, special rules against roughing the passer apply. Once the ball is released, defensive players must avoid all unnecessary contact with the passer. A player shall be penalized for any act of Unnecessary Roughness to the passer, including but not limited to:

A) Contacting the passer in an unnecessary manner, including stuffing him to the ground, violently throwing him to the ground, and landing on him with most of the defender's weight

B) Any blow above the passer's shoulder,

C) All rushing defenders must attempt to avoid forcibly hitting a passer in the pocket, at or below the knees, either if their path to the passer was unrestricted, or if they are coming off a blocker,

D) Attacking the passer who, after releasing the ball, is either standing still or fading backwards and is obviously out of the play and remains out of the play,

E) When the quarterback slides feet first, all unnecessary contact must be avoided. The slide must be done in a timely manner to allow the defence to avoid such contact.

F) Contacting the passer if either the initial source of contact, or primary source of contact, is the defender's helmet.

I can appreciate it wasn’t certain it was helmet-on-helmet (F). Although it is certain (A) occurred, Really was driven into the ground, the Rider defender landed on Reilly with his full weight. The blow was above his shoulder

(B).

I am seriously considering discontinuing my season seats. I have attended Eskimo and CFL games far longer than those 27 years. I can live with teams not always being a contender. I am tired of the officiating that doesn’t have any accountability or corrective actions. I can even live with the call on the field. Although when the Command Centre has the benefit of the replay, they should get the call correct.

The CFL Command Centre doesn’t get calls correct. And it is often enough that this is noticed in virtually every game in the CFL.

I’d appreciate a reply explaining what, if any, penalty or remedial training is going to occur for those in the command centre in regards to this particular play.

As well, I am hopeful you will reply explaining why I should continue to watch this poorly officiated product on the field?

Sincerely yours,

Signed Nanooster's real name

His explanation on the call was it was a tough one. That the defenders facemark contacted Reilly's helmet first and the defenders facemaks isn't considered part of the helmet. He doesn't address that the first contact was on Reilly's head (regardless what hit him) and he doesn't address Reilly being driven into the ground.

It looks like my letter was passed around the office as they were not sure how to answer it, likely because they couldn't debate my factual questions.

The reply does show we have a commish that cares, he may not have given me the answer I wanted or expected, he did issue an apology and recognized it was a tough call. I still to this day do not believe they made the right call, the entire purpose of that rule is to protect our QBs.

Hopefully the CFL did learn from that mistake, even if they did not want to admit to it.

- - - Updated - - -

If anyone wants to see the letter and football I will post an image of it. I don't have a paid photo bucket account so it puts those stupid watermarks across images now.
    Placing the Alberta Flag on the Calgary Flames uniform is akin to putting lipstick on a Pig
    Pizmo Loves Nanookster

vCash

Re: I received and apology letter and signed football from Randy Ambrose last week

Don’t like the explanation, but props for at least replying

vCash

Re: I received and apology letter and signed football from Randy Ambrose last week

Least you got a reply! And a football!

vCash

There was no way to make a good reply to the command centre's ruling. Credit to him for responding, I guess. The incorrect call likely cost the Eskimos a victory though.

vCash

This is why I love the CFL! In what other league cann a fan write a letter to the Commissioner, for pete's sake, and get a substantial reply?

The call was wrong but this is outstanding.

Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Nanookster View Post
    Last season when Reilly was driven to the ground and no call was made in the game or replay I sent a registered letter to the Commish asking why there was no call on the play and why the command centre got it wrong.

This is the text from the email I sent:

[October 8, 2018

CFL Commissioner Randy Ambrosie
    THE CANADIAN FOOTBALL LEAGUE
    50 Wellington Street East - 3rd Floor
    Toronto, ON M5E 1C8, CANADA

Commissioner Randy Ambrosie,

As a 27 year season ticket holder of the Edmonton Eskimos I would like an explanation on the Command Centres ruling on the hit on Mike Reilly in the Edmonton/Saskatchewan game on October 8, 2018.

In regards to Play #135, the CFL Command Centre ruled there was no clear obvious roughing the passer on the play and ruled a Saskatchewan touchdown.

Mike Reilly appeared to be hit above the shoulder, he was definitely driven to the ground, and the Rider defender definitely landed on the Eskimo QB with his full weight. There is absolutely no debating he landed on Reilly with his full weight. Not a single portion of the Rider defender’s body touched the ground. This was very clearly roughing the passer by the CFL’s own rulebook definition. From Rule 7:

Article 4 — Roughing The Passer

Because the act of passing puts the passer in a particularly vulnerable position to injury, special rules against roughing the passer apply. Once the ball is released, defensive players must avoid all unnecessary contact with the passer. A player shall be penalized for any act of Unnecessary Roughness to the passer, including but not limited to:

A) Contacting the passer in an unnecessary manner, including stuffing him to the ground, violently throwing him to the ground, and landing on him with most of the defender's weight

B) Any blow above the passer's shoulder,

C) All rushing defenders must attempt to avoid forcibly hitting a passer in the pocket, at or below the knees, either if their path to the passer was unrestricted, or if they are coming off a blocker,

D) Attacking the passer who, after releasing the ball, is either standing still or fading backwards and is obviously out of the play and remains out of the play,

E) When the quarterback slides feet first, all unnecessary contact must be avoided. The slide must be done in a timely manner to allow the defence to avoid such contact.

F) Contacting the passer if either the initial source of contact, or primary source of contact, is the defender's helmet.

I can appreciate it wasn’t certain it was helmet-on-helmet (F). Although it is certain (A) occurred, Really was driven into the ground, the Rider defender landed on Reilly with his full weight. The blow was above his shoulder

(B).

I am seriously considering discontinuing my season seats. I have attended Eskimo and CFL games far longer than those 27 years. I can live with teams not always being a contender. I am tired of the officiating that doesn’t have any accountability or corrective actions. I can even live with the call on the field. Although when the Command Centre has the benefit of the replay, they should get the call correct.

The CFL Command Centre doesn’t get calls correct. And it is often enough that this is noticed in virtually every game in the CFL.

I’d appreciate a reply explaining what, if any, penalty or remedial training is going to occur for those in the command centre in regards to this particular play.

As well, I am hopeful you will reply explaining why I should continue to watch this poorly officiated product on the field?

Sincerely yours,

Signed Nanooster's real name

His explanation on the call was it was a tough one. That the defenders facemark contacted Reilly's helmet first and the defenders facemaks isn't considered part of the helmet. He doesn't address that the first contact was on Reilly's head (regardless what hit him) and he doesn't address Reilly being driven into the ground.

It looks like my letter was passed around the office as they were not sure how to answer it, likely because they couldn't debate my factual questions.

The reply does show we have a commish that cares, he may not have given me the answer I wanted or expected, he did issue an apology and recognized it was a tough call. I still to this day do not believe they made the right call, the entire purpose of that rule is to protect our QBs.

Hopefully the CFL did learn from that mistake, even if they did not want to admit to it.

- - - Updated - - -

If anyone wants to see the letter and football I will post an image of it. I don't have a paid photo bucket account so it puts those stupid watermarks across images now.
    This is something that needs to change. If they want to "get the head out of football" then anything on the helmet needs to be considered the helmet.

Cool story, and great response. Thanks for posting.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    This is something that needs to change. If they want to "get the head out of football" then anything on the helmet needs to be considered the helmet.

Cool story, and great response. Thanks for posting.
    My increasing maturity precludes me from making any unnecessary comments about get the head out of football.....oops.
    WALTER IS MY HERO!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Nanookster View Post

I would love to see the letter, please. You sent the full text of your letter; It would be nice to read the response too.
    Thanks!
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

The officiating in the CFL is f***ing awful, we know this as does everyone else. Nothing shocks me when it comes to the officiating. In Game 1 next season, Andre Proulx could stop in the middle of the field, squat down and legit take a crap in the middle of the field. I would't be surprised.

That's just the way it is. You can choose to like the product or not. I watch Eskimos games, that's it. No other game. It's become embarrassing football due to the officiating.

vCash

Ask the New Orleans Saints what they think
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by glenvb View Post
    Ask the New Orleans Saints what they think
    Glen I had them to win the superbowl last year bet at 12-1 I was just starting to get over the sting of that so thank you so much for reopening that wound and pouring lemon juice in. Just for that if I ever see you at another game at BC place I'm going to tell a cop you're trying to sell crack and tell them to give you a full body cavity search...
    In Rod we trust

vCash

I am not surprised I got to know Randy when I tried out for the Bisons in 1983. He is an amazing guy I know he feels for the players like Hefney Bell etc who have lifelong injuries. He is willing to share a beer or two but not much info on the negotiations. Hopefully we can get a % of league revenues in a pot to assist former players with their lives after football in this CBA
    Run the Ball up the gut around the horn it does not matter. We run we win what is so difficult to understand.

vCash

Actually most of the officiating is pretty good. There are problem calls but if you look at the percentage of calls that are correct verses incorrect their stats are not bad.

Part of the problem is the fans interpretation of the rules. We don't know the rules as well as the refs and often when we claim they made a mistake they didn't. It may be a different interpretation. The league mandates what they want called and how. The ref can't choose to call it a different way.

I have a friend who is a ref and have had many conversations about calls I don't agree with. Most of the time I'm wrong.

The only way to get better officials it to pay them enough that it is their full time job. This is not reasonable in a 9 team league.

Consider the NBA where they don't call travels and stars get a free pass to boost ratings. Every league has fans that say the officiating is awful. Literally EVERY league.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Nextyear View Post
    Actually most of the officiating is pretty good. There are problem calls but if you look at the percentage of calls that are correct verses incorrect their stats are not bad.

Part of the problem is the fans interpretation of the rules. We don't know the rules as well as the refs and often when we claim they made a mistake they didn't. It may be a different interpretation. The league mandates what they want called and how. The ref can't choose to call it a different way.

I have a friend who is a ref and have had many conversations about calls I don't agree with. Most of the time I'm wrong.

The only way to get better officials it to pay them enough that it is their full time job. This is not reasonable in a 9 team league.

Consider the NBA where they don't call travels and stars get a free pass to boost ratings. Every league has fans that say the officiating is awful. Literally EVERY league.
    A lot of truth in what you are saying. Despite the occasional frustration, I have a ton of respect for what officials do. My only beef is when a command centre call is missed. I understand on-field officials missing calls in real time; but when the vets in the booth blow a call after repeated viewing, I wonder why (like you said, perhaps some times it is our interpretation of rules that might be off)
    I did like what the short lived AAF did with live tv feeds between the challenge booth and the head official so that fans watching at home could see the conversation and how the decision was arrived at. I would love to see this in the CFL.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

Quote Originally Posted by Nextyear View Post

Agree with this, people just love to b!tch about officiating.