Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Draft Thread

vCash

Discussion 2019 Draft Thread

With the draft only 2 short days away I am getting excited to see who the Esks will select and what, if any, moves that they make.

Personally, I would love to see the Esks select Mathieu Betts. I know using a pick on a guy who signed an NFL deal and who may never play a down in in the CFL is risky but from all accounts he is a beast. Aside from Betts my next two choices for the first round would be Robbie Smith or Hergy Mayala with my preference being Smith since I think there is a bigger need at that position then there is at receiver.

I would also look hard at Michael O'Connor in one of the later rounds as I think that you can never have too much depth at QB.
    " To alcohol, the cause of and solution to all life's problems"

-Homer Simpson

vCash

Re: 2019 Draft Thread

My ranking is:

-DL Matthieu Betts
    -DL Jonathan Kongbo
    -WR Hergy Mayala

Kongbo coming off a knee injury may be a guy worth looking at. Hasn't received any NFL camp invites as of now so his injury may be scaring some teams off.
    Last edited by Jtuck09; 05-01-2019 at 07:24 AM.

vCash

1-3
    2-12
    4-32
    5-40
    5-41
    6-50
    7-59
    8-68

I would for sure draft the dlineman even if they are going to an NFL camp. Dline is a very competitive position down south.

What I would like to come up with is a starting calibre safety. As much as I like the heart of some of the Canadians we have had back there in recent years I want a long term guy we can count on that can make some big plays (ie produce turnovers)

vCash

Mock draft 3.0

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/04/30/mock-3-0-betts-off/

Marshall Ferguson has us selecting:

#12 Kurleigh Gittens Jr. - REC
    #3 Mathieu Betts - DL

I'm wavering on Betts as he's signed an NFL deal but if he ever comes north, it will be a great pick. Question will be, how many spots do we have open or want to upgrade and can we wait? Will it turn out to be another Stephan Charles type situation?
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash
    Blog Entries

Honestly, as much as the guy may be talented, I really don't want a Stefan Charles repeat.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OK14 View Post
    Honestly, as much as the guy may be talented, I really don't want a Stefan Charles repeat.
    The other side of that coin is Alex Singleton, where you get a high impact player, risk vs reward I guess.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Mock draft 3.0

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/04/30/mock-3-0-betts-off/

Marshall Ferguson has us selecting:

#12 Kurleigh Gittens Jr. - REC
    #3 Mathieu Betts - DL

I'm wavering on Betts as he's signed an NFL deal but if he ever comes north, it will be a great pick. Question will be, how many spots do we have open or want to upgrade and can we wait? Will it turn out to be another Stephan Charles type situation?
    Yes to gittens

And I’d stay with smith at 4

vCash

I'd be all over Jonathan Kongbo. Regardless of his injury, I have a feeling he'll be a solid contributor for any team.

vCash

Hodge at 3 down nation has us getting

Kongbo
    Julian-Grant
    Richards

with our first 3 picks. I would be down with that.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wildwest View Post
    Hodge at 3 down nation has us getting

Kongbo
    Julian-Grant
    Richards

with our first 3 picks. I would be down with that.
    Interesting article on Kongbo on 3down...https://3downnation.com/2019/05/01/c...aft-wild-card/

Marshall Ferguson on CFL.ca has our first 3 picks as:

MATHIEU BETTS
    KURLEIGH GITTENS JR.
    STAVROS KATSANTONIS

Betts makes me nervous as I feel there would be a significant risk of losing him to the NFL at least for a few seasons like we did with Colquhoun and Smith so you have to wonder if the risk is worth using a first round pick for him. Guys like Austin Pasztor and Stefan Charles may never show up. Pasztor would especially shock me and I think we can all consider that gamble as not paying off. I'd rather take a chance on Kongbo if they feel that he has or is likely to fully recover from his injury. Katsantonis might be worth the Esks 3rd pick even if they have to wait for a year due to a suspension depending on who else is still available on the board at that point. Will be an interesting draft.
    Last edited by adb; 05-01-2019 at 02:23 PM.
    ôRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    Interesting article on Kongbo on 3down...https://3downnation.com/2019/05/01/c...aft-wild-card/

MATHIEU BETTS
    KURLEIGH GITTENS JR.
    STAVROS KATSANTONIS

Betts makes me nervous as I feel there would be a significant risk of losing him to the NFL at least for a few seasons like we did with Colquhoun and Smith so you have to wonder if the risk is worth using a first round pick for him. Guys like Austin Pasztor and Stefan Charles may never show up. Pasztor would especially shock me and I think we can all consider that gamble as not paying off. I'd rather take a chance on Kongbo if they feel that he has or is likely to fully recover from his injury. Katsantonis might be worth the Esks 3rd pick even if they have to wait for a year due to a suspension depending on who else is still available on the board at that point. Will be an interesting draft.
    Seems like we should be able to select a decent Dlineman with our first pick. Will they go safe and take Smith or take a risk on Kongbos injury or Betts's NFL interest?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OK14 View Post
    I totally agree. With the 3rd overall, you should be getting a guy who might be able to play for your team this year. At the very least is on your team and won't be long to get into the line up hopefully. If they draft Betts, who's signed with Chicago, he will go to their camps, play preseason games so best case you might get him up here by the end of the year. Worse case it takes years if ever for him to come up.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post

MATHIEU BETTS
    KURLEIGH GITTENS JR.
    STAVROS KATSANTONIS

Risk and reward go hand in hand.

The memorable ones can be the ones like Steph Charles, Austin Pasztor, etc, but BC just cut their first round picks from 2016 and 2017 - guys that were with the team from day one. While it's a little painful to watch draft picks never even pull on a jersey, for the right guy, I'm happy for us to take that chance rather than to pick a guy without the same upside or passion to make a long career in the CFL.

I'm not considering Nate Behar a bust yet by any means, but is he a guy that we'd pick again? Obviously, the development track for him, as with many others in the past, is more than two years long, and in the CFL it's hard to be that forward thinking at times, all the more so with the prevalence of 1 and 2 year contracts now. Compare the idea of drafting Tevaun Smith, who spends three years bouncing around NFL practice rosters or Nate Behar, who spends two years on your roster, using a spot but not getting a ton of meaningful reps. We now have 2 (+1 I presume) years of Smith under contract, hopefully more seasoned for his efforts, as opposed to Behar moving on elsewhere. Obviously the risk is that the guy never shows up, but sometimes getting him a few years later isn't a bad thing for the timing.

I'd be more scared of Betts if he was drafted, as some had projected, but it always seems to be a longer shot for an UDFA... particularly those without a signing bonus commitment of any substance.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    I totally agree. With the 3rd overall, you should be getting a guy who might be able to play for your team this year. At the very least is on your team and won't be long to get into the line up hopefully. If they draft Betts, who's signed with Chicago, he will go to their camps, play preseason games so best case you might get him up here by the end of the year. Worse case it takes years if ever for him to come up.
    I wouldn't make the draft as black and white as this. For me it depends on how badly you need someone to start right now, if you are in a position to wait maybe you take a flyer on someone like Tevaun Smith. Hervey selected him in the first round, 8th overall in the 2016 draft, now 3 years later he'll be on the team and worth the wait.

If you select players based solely on their CFL availability you are going to lose a bunch of those picks anyways as you'll be making more cuts.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    I wouldn't make the draft as black and white as this. For me it depends on how badly you need someone to start right now, if you are in a position to wait maybe you take a flyer on someone like Tevaun Smith. Hervey selected him in the first round, 8th overall in the 2016 draft, now 3 years later he'll be on the team and worth the wait.

If you select players based solely on their CFL availability you are going to lose a bunch of those picks anyways as you'll be making more cuts.
    I would be really tempted to take Kongbo...as stated in Dunk's article many CFL clubs expected him to be in the NFL if not for his injury and lately it seems like I'm reading more stories of guys overcoming ACL injuries...it's not a given but I think he might be worth taking a chance on.
    Last edited by adb; 05-01-2019 at 03:19 PM.

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

First draft without Rob Ralph. Brock has seemed to lean toward "best player available" so it will be interesting if we roll the dice on a long(er) shot.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    In 2018, the top 6 picks were Mark Chapman (hasn't come to CFL), Trey Rutherford (9 games as a backup), Peter Godber (2 games as a mid-season injury replacement before breaking his foot), Mark Korte (dressed for 17 games with playing time diminishing through the season), Dakoda Shepley (pursued NFL last year and now signed for 2+1), and Darius Ciraco (started 18 games).

in 2017, the top 6 picks were Faith Ekakitie (out of the CFL), Cameron Judge (held out, but now in Sask as rotational LB), Danny Vandervoort (cut by Lions after little production), Connor Mcgough (18 ST tackles in 2017 and 4 ST and 7 Def tackles in 2018), Nate Behar (moved on after little production), and Randy Colling (out of the CFL).

Based on this, admittedly smaller sample, most times, the upside is a solid special teamer or an O-lineman that isn't going to wilt if forced into the lineup. Unless the draft pick is fairly exceptional, I'd say it's reflective of other depth issues if he's playing a significant role on the team within the first few years. 2016 had Revenberg, Singleton and Lauzon-Seguin in the first round - all of which have gone on to be solid players for their teams, but I think they are mostly the exception rather than the rule.

Have to factor in teams needs - do they need help now and have their eyes on someone at that position that could legitimately help them immediately, or do they focus on what they think their needs will be two years down the road? Maybe Hamilton starts drafting for a guy ready to replace Ted Laurent in 2-3 years much more so than a guy that will take up a roster spot immediately.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    In 2018, the top 6 picks were Mark Chapman (hasn't come to CFL), Trey Rutherford (9 games as a backup), Peter Godber (2 games as a mid-season injury replacement before breaking his foot), Mark Korte (dressed for 17 games with playing time diminishing through the season), Dakoda Shepley (pursued NFL last year and now signed for 2+1), and Darius Ciraco (started 18 games).

in 2017, the top 6 picks were Faith Ekakitie (out of the CFL), Cameron Judge (held out, but now in Sask as rotational LB), Danny Vandervoort (cut by Lions after little production), Connor Mcgough (18 ST tackles in 2017 and 4 ST and 7 Def tackles in 2018), Nate Behar (moved on after little production), and Randy Colling (out of the CFL).

Based on this, admittedly smaller sample, most times, the upside is a solid special teamer or an O-lineman that isn't going to wilt if forced into the lineup. Unless the draft pick is fairly exceptional, I'd say it's reflective of other depth issues if he's playing a significant role on the team within the first few years. 2016 had Revenberg, Singleton and Lauzon-Seguin in the first round - all of which have gone on to be solid players for their teams, but I think they are mostly the exception rather than the rule.

Have to factor in teams needs - do they need help now and have their eyes on someone at that position that could legitimately help them immediately, or do they focus on what they think their needs will be two years down the road? Maybe Hamilton starts drafting for a guy ready to replace Ted Laurent in 2-3 years much more so than a guy that will take up a roster spot immediately.
    By selecting guys that have NFL interest, you are essentially building your pipeline without having to take up a roster spot. Should the player ever shake loose, you may have a ratio buster, should they not you are probably just sacrificing a special teamer.

vCash
    Blog Entries

A 3down article analyzing the Esks draft...https://3downnation.com/2019/05/01/w...ays-cfl-draft/

vCash

Sounds line Shane Richards, an O-lineman from Oklahoma State will be going #1 overall to Toronto.
    He's apparently in TO right now working on a contract with the team.

vCash

The Esks have an interesting situation on defense if they are inclined to be flexible.

I think they have 3 capable starters in Colquhoun, Boateng and Konar (albeit 2 of them are bandaids). They also probably have 2/3 reasonable backups/emergency starters in Mulumba, Onyeka/Beaulieu/Hoover.

If you added Betts, I think you have 2 quality rush ends but I don't think you can play boh at the same time as I think they are both rush specialists and not great against the run s you could make rush end a Canadian position.

If you added Kongbo, then I think you could commit to 3 defensive starters as Kongbo is a lot more flexible in playing either end or even D tackle in a pinch. This allows you to have 3 of Colquhoun, Boateng, Konar, Kongbo and safety at a time. It also allows you alot more flexibility to rotate quality americans in at any position and not have to play sub par backups for a long time in case of injury.

Add Charles at the right price and you would be golden but probably way to expensive.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jtuck09 View Post
    Sounds line Shane Richards, an O-lineman from Oklahoma State will be going #1 overall to Toronto.
    Good for Toronto by working on this in advance. Richards is a Jon Hardaway client, and there is a history of difficult negotiations. They should have a good read on whether a contract can be done prior to making their pick.

Quote Originally Posted by wildwest View Post
    The Esks have an interesting situation on defense if they are inclined to be flexible.

I think they have 3 capable starters in Colquhoun, Boateng and Konar (albeit 2 of them are bandaids). They also probably have 2/3 reasonable backups/emergency starters in Mulumba, Onyeka/Beaulieu/Hoover.

If you added Betts, I think you have 2 quality rush ends but I don't think you can play boh at the same time as I think they are both rush specialists and not great against the run s you could make rush end a Canadian position.

If you added Kongbo, then I think you could commit to 3 defensive starters as Kongbo is a lot more flexible in playing either end or even D tackle in a pinch. This allows you to have 3 of Colquhoun, Boateng, Konar, Kongbo and safety at a time. It also allows you alot more flexibility to rotate quality americans in at any position and not have to play sub par backups for a long time in case of injury.

Add Charles at the right price and you would be golden but probably way to expensive.
    With Kongbo having a torn ACL in October 2018, he would likely be 3 months away from being close to 100%, and missing a training camp is always tough on a new player. I haven't seen enough to know whether he is way ahead of Betts (NFL contract with Bears), but either likely are "next year" projects and beyond. With Betts, there is the potential that he tries the NFL and gets that over with sooner, whereas I keep hearing that CFL people think Kongbo would have NFL interest if it weren't for the injury. Does that lead to the idea that we spend two years developing him only to see him get a chance to go south?

By the time any of these draft picks is likely ready to step in for a significant rotational role on defence, my hunch is that our personnel may have changed, so I'm not convinced that they impact our ratio within the next year.

Given the choice between an Eddie Steele calibre guy - capable rotational player that could give you 6-7 years - or a guy that may flirt with all-star status, but could easily draw NFL interest, do people want the solid single or the home run swing?

vCash

"No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Now, what was the name of that long time Cdn. scout for us that we let go this year ?

vCash

Good for Toronto by working on this in advance. Richards is a Jon Hardaway client, and there is a history of difficult negotiations. They should have a good read on whether a contract can be done prior to making their pick.

With Kongbo having a torn ACL in October 2018, he would likely be 3 months away from being close to 100%, and missing a training camp is always tough on a new player. I haven't seen enough to know whether he is way ahead of Betts (NFL contract with Bears), but either likely are "next year" projects and beyond. With Betts, there is the potential that he tries the NFL and gets that over with sooner, whereas I keep hearing that CFL people think Kongbo would have NFL interest if it weren't for the injury. Does that lead to the idea that we spend two years developing him only to see him get a chance to go south?

By the time any of these draft picks is likely ready to step in for a significant rotational role on defence, my hunch is that our personnel may have changed, so I'm not convinced that they impact our ratio within the next year.

Given the choice between an Eddie Steele calibre guy - capable rotational player that could give you 6-7 years - or a guy that may flirt with all-star status, but could easily draw NFL interest, do people want the solid single or the home run swing?
    That's weird though and not sure how this can be permitted. He isn't their property yet so they shouldn't be able to negotiate prior to drafting him. Say the team with the first overall goes and speaks to multiple guys that are potential top picks and starts negotiating contracts. Essentially they could be setting the value for players they may not end up selecting. That would be unfair to the team that ends up selecting them as they are in turn negotiating based off the expectations set by the team that already talked to them.

vCash

Kongbo's injury is a blessing to every single CFL team. He played at the highest level in the NCAA and won't be signed immediately as an NFL prospect due to his injury. His agent may advise him to hold out for that NFL contract but he'll be way to far behind to make an impact.

He should be high on our board considering we do have Canadians that can start. Other teams desperate for Canadians may have him a bit lower because he can't contribute right away.

Also I'd be willing to bet Brock takes an RB who could play RB. Not a fullback. He hinted in his pre draft interview that Alex Taylor from last year might be given a shot to play RB. We'd need a backup for that and there are some nice ones. I like Brady Oliveria and Maleek Irons. Worst case they "grow" into CMC's role.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jtuck09 View Post
    The overly large dude (even for an OT) that got sent packing from the combine cuz he didn't want to test? Alright, Go Argo's!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    Now, what was the name of that long time Cdn. scout for us that we let go this year ?
    Draft and develop. Good strategy for Canadians. The cupboard is far from empty.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    That's weird though and not sure how this can be permitted. He isn't their property yet so they shouldn't be able to negotiate prior to drafting him. Say the team with the first overall goes and speaks to multiple guys that are potential top picks and starts negotiating contracts. Essentially they could be setting the value for players they may not end up selecting. That would be unfair to the team that ends up selecting them as they are in turn negotiating based off the expectations set by the team that already talked to them.
    I hadn't looked at it that way, but I see your point.

I think, traditionally, the first team picking is considered to be "on the clock", with any of those players available to them. While I'm not sure that it's commonplace, I wouldn't think that there would be anything preventing another team from talking prospective contract terms with a guy that they think they're likely to pick. It could alter value expectations somewhat, but it's far from a free agency situation where the player has any choice to go elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Kongbo's injury is a blessing to every single CFL team. He played at the highest level in the NCAA and won't be signed immediately as an NFL prospect due to his injury. His agent may advise him to hold out for that NFL contract but he'll be way to far behind to make an impact.

He should be high on our board considering we do have Canadians that can start. Other teams desperate for Canadians may have him a bit lower because he can't contribute right away.

Also I'd be willing to bet Brock takes an RB who could play RB. Not a fullback. He hinted in his pre draft interview that Alex Taylor from last year might be given a shot to play RB. We'd need a backup for that and there are some nice ones. I like Brady Oliveria and Maleek Irons. Worst case they "grow" into CMC's role.

- - - Updated - - -

The overly large dude (even for an OT) that got sent packing from the combine cuz he didn't want to test? Alright, Go Argo's!

- - - Updated - - -
    I'm a little nervous that with Kongbo, the CFL will likely get him for a few years of development, then he heads south, if the pundits are correct that he'd be on the way their now if not for the injury. It may be more of a rental than a longer term thing. I wonder how pro-ready he'll be when healthy - 17 Collegiate starts could still leave a bit of a jump to the next level, even coming from a top-tier conference/program. I agree that the EEFC are more likely to work in a "now" player on the D-line given the presence of Boateng - curious to see if it will be a previous draft pick like Mackie or Bagnell, or someone from this draft class. If Betts and Kongbo are not ready until mid-season, is their talent appreciable better than a guy like Robbie Smith, who's likely available from day 1?

As for guys not testing at the Combine - I'm not a fan, but it didn't hurt the draft stock of Peter Godber (#3 to BC last year). It offends my sensibilities that the CFL is paying to bring you in for a purpose and they aren't living up to that, but I do understand that there are sometimes reasons to not do the physical stuff. I saw one suggestion that players invited, if they didn't wish to test, could still attend, on their own dime, if they wanted to come for the interviews. It would open up a spot in the testing for the next guy, not cost the league anything additional, but still allow those with no need to physically test further (good pro day, nagging injury, etc) to still be available to teams to speak with.

vCash

lol tsn putting the heat on ambrosie re the CBA before draft starts.

vCash

I hadn't looked at it that way, but I see your point.

I think, traditionally, the first team picking is considered to be "on the clock", with any of those players available to them. While I'm not sure that it's commonplace, I wouldn't think that there would be anything preventing another team from talking prospective contract terms with a guy that they think they're likely to pick. It could alter value expectations somewhat, but it's far from a free agency situation where the player has any choice to go elsewhere.

I'm a little nervous that with Kongbo, the CFL will likely get him for a few years of development, then he heads south, if the pundits are correct that he'd be on the way their now if not for the injury. It may be more of a rental than a longer term thing. I wonder how pro-ready he'll be when healthy - 17 Collegiate starts could still leave a bit of a jump to the next level, even coming from a top-tier conference/program. I agree that the EEFC are more likely to work in a "now" player on the D-line given the presence of Boateng - curious to see if it will be a previous draft pick like Mackie or Bagnell, or someone from this draft class. If Betts and Kongbo are not ready until mid-season, is their talent appreciable better than a guy like Robbie Smith, who's likely available from day 1?

As for guys not testing at the Combine - I'm not a fan, but it didn't hurt the draft stock of Peter Godber (#3 to BC last year). It offends my sensibilities that the CFL is paying to bring you in for a purpose and they aren't living up to that, but I do understand that there are sometimes reasons to not do the physical stuff. I saw one suggestion that players invited, if they didn't wish to test, could still attend, on their own dime, if they wanted to come for the interviews. It would open up a spot in the testing for the next guy, not cost the league anything additional, but still allow those with no need to physically test further (good pro day, nagging injury, etc) to still be available to teams to speak with.
    With Kongbo's size the NFL will come calling as soon as he is 100 % healed. Betts , I worry that he could " go home" after his initial contract is up. Would be a big draw in Mtl. If Kavis has anything left to trade and if he has the authority remaining to make a trade he might try to secure Betts . I was told to watch Connor Griffith but he seems to have really dropped in the rankings lately.

vCash

Betts it is. I am fine with this pick.