vCash

Re: 2019 Draft Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Betts it is. I am fine with this pick.
    x2
    WALTER IS MY HERO!!

vCash

I actually taught Shane Richards here in Calgary so it’s really cool to see him go first overall.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pizmo View Post
    x2
    This guy is an amazing talent but not sure we even see him with the Eskies in next few years kind of a wasted 3 rd overall pick

vCash

Boo—I don’t like this pick at all—we may never see him up here....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by writfiler View Post
    Boo—I don’t like this pick at all—we may never see him up here....
    There was some talk that he would have to make the NFL as a special teams player. Maybe not big enough to play Dline there plus his strength is his quickness and not having the yard off the los might hurt him. The difficulty might be keeping him here after the first contract. Sunderland took the "Betts" player by draft ranking. Hopefully we get a good return.

vCash

Wonder if we take the local guy, Harke with our 2nd pick.

vCash

I'm betting we get him as early as next year. There is very stiff competition for the position he plays.

vCash
    Blog Entries

I’d not take him until 4 th rd if he is still there

vCash

It's sitting on the table of the Esks draft war-room, so it ties into the draft, but I posted this because someone was asking about the "inverted color" 3rd helmet that was floating around - here it is.

"No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

I like this pick. It would be nice to have a National at tackle down the road.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post

I like this pick. It would be nice to have a National at tackle down the road.
    http://draftanalyst.com/kyle-saxelid

Bio:

Three-year starter at left tackle who was named Honorable Mention All-Mountain West in 2017.

Pos:

Nice-sized left tackle best in a small area. Strong, quickly gets into blocks and turns defenders from the action. Explosive at the point, gets movement as a run blocker and seals opponents from the play.

Neg:

Does not block with leverage and overextends. Lumbers about the field. Ineffective in motion.

Analysis:

Saxelid offers next-level size but is a marginal athlete with limited upside.
    Run the Ball up the gut around the horn it does not matter. We run we win what is so difficult to understand.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pizmo View Post
    x2
    X3

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    It's sitting on the table of the Esks draft war-room, so it ties into the draft, but I posted this because someone was asking about the "inverted color" 3rd helmet that was floating around - here it is.

I don’t know, I still don’t think that the “EE” is large enough.
    " To alcohol, the cause of and solution to all life's problems"

-Homer Simpson

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by widowmaker View Post
    X3

- - - Updated - - -

I don’t know, I still don’t think that the “EE” is large enough.
    Seemingly BPA with Betts. Whether he plays a down or not, I think it’s a good gamble that could strengthen D more if he reports. DL is decent now, so they can afford to wait a bit on him.

Love getting a LT with size and three years of NCAA starts under his belt too. The Esks are getting a nice pool of Canadian depth ready to knock on the door on their OL.

vCash

Darn, O’Connor selected by the Argos.
    " To alcohol, the cause of and solution to all life's problems"

-Homer Simpson

vCash

I don't like the Esks first pick at all. At 3rd overall, you have the opportunity to get a player who could play a position on your team this season. Even if it's just special teams, that's another Canadian that is playing on your team and you are developing him. They picked a guy who most likely spends the bulk of the year in the UFA and who may never come up. I don't see the value in picking a gamble guy that high.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    I don't like the Esks first pick at all. At 3rd overall, you have the opportunity to get a player who could play a position on your team this season. Even if it's just special teams, that's another Canadian that is playing on your team and you are developing him. They picked a guy who most likely spends the bulk of the year in the UFA and who may never come up. I don't see the value in picking a gamble guy that high.
    I agree totally with you on that pick and sounds like our 2nd round pick doesn't sound very promising as we already got that type player already in Mason Woods,now we don't pick until the 4 th round ,so far not happy with Brock's choices

vCash

Osei-Kusi was just selected - I was hoping he’d last to our pick.

vCash
    Blog Entries

The Esks 4th round pick Peter Cender FB isn't even ranked in 3 Rd down nations top 75 ,we gotta give Brock a failing grade so far

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by dealerd View Post
    The Esks 4th round pick Peter Cender FB isn't even ranked in 3 Rd down nations top 75 ,we gotta give Brock a failing grade so far
    Why? We got two guys projected as 1st rounders, who could both be ratio breakers at defensive end and offensive tackle.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by dealerd View Post
    Just saw some you tube clip on him. Only caught 9 passes in 3 yrs. But an outstanding blocker, all we have to do now is run the dang ball. Never even carried the ball once.

- - - Updated - - -

BC takes Harke at # 42 overall, looks like we had no interest in him.

vCash

https://newworldagency.com/pete-cender/

Letters of Recommendation

MATT MITCHELL – Head Coach, Grand Valley State Lakers
    C: +1 (616) 690-6600 E: mitcmatt@gvsu.edu

I am excited to write this letter of reference for Grand Valley State’s Pete Cender. Pete has professional aspirations since he arrived on this campus four years ago and has worked tirelessly to fulfill this goal.

I have been Pete’s Head Coach here at Grand Valley State for all three years Pete has been here. Our staff has loved what Pete has brought to our program on and off the field.

On the field, Pete is a very physical, smart player. He was our “Swiss Army Knife” on Offence and Special Teams. Offensively, we used him at the point of attack in the run game, while also being a threat to stretch the Defence down the field. Pete played every special team in his time here…and was impactful!!

As valuable as he was on the field, Pete had a big impact on our program off the field. His leadership with a young Tight End group in 2018 was invaluable to our team success. Pete also helped me with several community service projects, while maintain a high GPA.

To conclude, I would recommend Pete Cender to any professional football team. He is going to be a great addition to your locker room and will definitely have an impact on the field.

Please do not hesitate to contact me for any further questions you may have about Pete.

Sincerely,

Matt Mitchell

TIM MORRISON – Co-Offensive Line Coach, Grand Valley State Lakers
    O. +1 (616) 331-2489 C: +1 (616) 734-9805 E: morritim@gvsu.edu

This letter of recommendation is written on behalf of Pete Cender. It has been my pleasure to know Pete for the last four years. Pete has shown the proven qualities of perseverance, work ethic, motivation and discipline that make any individual successful.

Since February 2010, I have been an assistant football coach at Grand Valley State University. I coach our Offensive Line and our Tight Ends. Pete was a tight end for our program and I was able to spend many hours with him. He is an individual who knows what it takes to be successful.

Pete was a very dependable and positive member of our football program throughout his time at Grand Valley State. He understands the meaning of a team and has the attributes required to be a good teammate. He is a relentless worker willing to put the success of the team ahead of his individual accomplishments.

Pete was always studying the game on his own to improve as a player. He was a physical player for us and helped us with his versatility. We lined him up as an in-line blocker to block Defensive Ends and we also had him lead blocking in space on linebackers and safeties. He also played a valuable role as a special teams player. He is a smart player who can understand game plans and make adjustments during a game.

If you have any questions or concerns about Pete, please feel free to contact me at any time.

Sincerely,

Tim Morrison

JIMMY RODENBERG – Head Strength & Condition Coach, Grand Valley State Lakers
    C: +1 (513) 498-5508 E: jrodenberg33@gmail.com

The Past year I have had the privilege of working with Pete Cender in the weight room at Grand Valley State University. Pete is a man of high expectations and an immense competitive spirit. In the fall, Pete had very big shoes to fill taking over as the leader of the tight end group for Nick Keizer, Tight End for the Baltimore Ravens. Pete served as a role model for not only the Tight Ends but the Offence in general. Pete is a player with high influence and leadership qualities that are second to none.

Pete is the kind of guy that will do anything he can to make sure that he gets the job done. While training with me for his combine testing, Pete was also working another job but made sure he was flexible enough to show up on time for all of our workouts. Day in and day out, Pete showed up ready to work no matter how difficult the day before was and pushed himself extremely hard during his workouts. He is the kind of person that will constantly ask what is next or what else he can be doing on his own to improve himself as a player and as a person.

This mentality shows up when he is on the field as well. No matter what the score was or what happened on a series before Pete always had a positive mentality on the sidelines, and was the first player encouraging others to keep their heads up and keep competing. This competitive spirit shows in everything he does on and off the field. Pete is always full of life and loves to pick others around him up. That is the type of person and player we all love to coach and work with, knowing at the end of the day he was the guy you could rely on to get a job done with excellence.

Sincerely,

Jimmy Rodenberg

Statistics

RECEIVING GP Rec Yards Td Long Rec/G Avg/C Avg/G
    2018 12 5 47 2 20 0.4 9.4 3.9
    2017 11 3 21 1 15 0.3 7.0 1.9
    2016 12 3 25 0 10 0.3 8.3 2.1
    Total 35 11 93 3 20 0.3 8.5 2.7

SCORING GP TD Rush Rcv Ret FG PAT PAT2 Total Avg/G
    2018 12 2 0 2 0 0 0 0 12 1.0
    2017 11 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 6 0.5
    2016 12 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0
    Total 35 3 0 3 0 0 0 0 18 0.5

TACKLES GP UA A Total TFL TFLY PD FF FR BLK
    2016 12 0 0 0 0.0 0 0 0 0 0
    2017 11 0 1 1 0.0 0 0 0 0 0
    2018 12 2 1 3 0.0 0 0 0 0 0
    Total 35 2 2 4 0.0 0 0 0 0 0

Awards & Accomplishments

2018 – 1st Team All-Conference
    2017 – All-Conference Honourable Mention
    2017 – Academic All-Conference
    2016 – Academic All-Conference
    2016 – Conference Champions

Run the Ball up the gut around the horn it does not matter. We run we win what is so difficult to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    Just saw some you tube clip on him. Only caught 9 passes in 3 yrs. But an outstanding blocker, all we have to do now is run the dang ball. Never even carried the ball once.
    Maas is always on the lookout for that big bodied FB who can block, this guy will probably contribute on ST right away.

- - - Updated - - -

Betts doesn't have the NFL body type, I doubt it's long before we see him, and as others have said, we can afford to wait a bit.

Saxelid looks like the best Tackle prospect we've drafted in years, I like these picks.

vCash
    Blog Entries

I was wrong on this guy,he looks and sounds like an amazing player all heart and soul I appologize

vCash

I'm ok with these picks.... now we wait for the we love Hervey clan to show their disappointment over and over again.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    Maas is always on the lookout for that big bodied FB who can block, this guy will probably contribute on ST right away.

- - - Updated - - -

Betts doesn't have the NFL body type, I doubt it's long before we see him, and as others have said, we can afford to wait a bit.

Saxelid looks like the best Tackle prospect we've drafted in years, I like these picks.
    Hopefully he becomes another Mathieu Bertrand .

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    A bit of a gamble I agree but it does make some sense when you keep in mind as some have stated that he may be a bit undersized to make the NFL. And if he does make it out of the chute then he doesn't just sit stagnant...he does develop somewhere on an NFL roster similar to Tevaun Smith.
    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash
    Blog Entries

After reading all the reviews on all of our picks in this years draft I am pretty happy with all of them and give Brock a thumbs up .Thanks to all of your imput as well

vCash
    Blog Entries

“RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post

- - - Updated - - -

X2.
    Also, throughout the draft the Esks seem to have taken several intriguing players. For example, 7th Round pick Hunter Karl, a WR from Calgary was listed as one of the top sleepers in the draft and compared to Brad Sinopoli.

vCash

I'm pleased. Like most here, I haven't seen these guys play much more than a few highlight reels. It's pretty standard talk from a football guy, but to here the HC and GM say that they got the guy that was top of their draft board - that's a good thing.

The TSN draft panel, in discussing the Esks before their pick was highly complementary about the calibre of their starting Canadians, in particular at ratio-breaker positions. With the early picks, I think we addressed medium-rare depth at a position we're essentially designating as Cdn, and committed even further to a longer term plan of employing a CDN Tackle, whichever prospect eventually proves worthy of the role. There is no sure thing that Betts makes it to training camp with the Bears if he doesn't turn heads in OTA's and I am less worried about keeping Laval guys longer term, knowing that Bertrand will be whispering in their ear about what it means to play in Edmonton.

I like the idea of picking a big FB that seems to be a high character guy. Give him a year to work with CmC as a roadmap for a potentially long EEFC career.

I don't believe it makes sense to spend first round draft picks on guys to play STs - as important as that is, those guys can be found in multiple rounds. First round picks, as much as it's somewhat of a crapshoot, need to be spent seeking guys that can start down the road and are positioned for solid CFL careers.