Thread: Thank You Ricky Ray!

vCash

Attention Thank You Ricky Ray!

That's all that needs to be said.

Thank you to Ricky Ray. This man deserves to celebrated by the organization, the fan base, and anyone else who is affiliated with the CFL or the team.

- His career spanned nearly 2 decades and he held the belt for the best or second best QB for basically 15 years. That's absolutely insane.

- For anyone who wants to make an argument that "he only played in Edmonton for 9 seasons," that's not his fault. He didn't ask to be traded for a bag of chips (no pun intended). He didn't ask to have 4-5 years of his Eskimos career absolutely wasted by 2 All-Time CFL Idiots (Maciocia, Tillman). And even when this team had nothing, he still soldiered out there every year, every game he physically was able to, and put this team on his back time after time.

- 4 Grey Cups, 60,000 Yards, 324 TD passes, a 98 passer rating

THANK YOU RICKY RAY!

If you include longevity, he's a Top 3 QB with Calvillo and Damon Allen.
    Last edited by EsksTMac; 05-08-2019 at 12:42 PM.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Re: Thank You Ricky Ray!

THANK YOU RICKY! One of my all time favorite Eskimos ever...BONE!
    ôRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Always cool headed on the field, and let his play do the talking. Thanks Ricky, and best of luck in retirement.

Ricky has got to be my all time favorite Eskimo QB, it'll be a little weird to watch a CFL that doesn't involve him anymore, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time before he's back as a coach.

vCash

Ricky is my favourite Esks QB of all-time. He had that calmness about him that made him the player he is. He was a joy to watch as an Eskimo and I hope this organization does right by him when it comes time to honouring him.

Hope his retirement from football is short-lived and we see him back in the CFL as a coach real soon.

All the best Ricky!

vCash

Lots of memories. Thanks Ricky.
    WALTER IS MY HERO!!

vCash

There is only one quarterback in the history of the CFL that could throw a pass so perfect even I could catch it.
    Thank you for all the amazing moments. I will be wearing my #15 Esks jersey for many years more.
    Have a great retirement, Ricky.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

The only name I have ever had on a jersey. Just an amazing player, and an even better person.

Best in all you do, Ricky. BONE!

vCash
    Blog Entries

Knew it was coming but it still sucks to have a career cut short by injury. He had nothing left to prove in my mind though. Now he can make the transition to coaching.
    Just a quick shout out to Mr."Winning isn't everything" for pis*ing away not one but TWO HoF QB's. F*ck you Len and good riddance.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    Knew it was coming but it still sucks to have a career cut short by injury. He had nothing left to prove in my mind though. Now he can make the transition to coaching.
    do we know that's something he wants to do?
    WALTER IS MY HERO!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pizmo View Post
    do we know that's something he wants to do?
    Whether he wants to or not (I believe he has indicated an interest in the past), at this point, there are likely few spots where all the spots haven't already been allocated. I'm not sure if Toronto has saved room on their staff, but I'd think he'll take a year to adjust to life away from the game before taking on the next phase, then seek out a situation where he's set up for success and working with people that he trusts and respects.

Always interesting to see how the transition to coaching goes for different players... both in the speed that they rise and also the success that they have. Guys like Dickenson and Maas were rather meteoric compared to others, while Jackson, Dinwiddie, Jones and Brady have had success as well. Anthony Calvillo hasn't yet seemed to find that success, and it may be more of a reflection of where he's been rather than his own adaption/skill set, and this year sees Drew Tate starting down the path in BC.

Thinking back to an interview with Trevor Harris shortly after he signed in Edmonton, he talked about the guys that he learned the most from as teammates, and they included people like Danny O'Brien, more so than Ricky Ray and Henry Burris, who were focused more on their starting role (IIRC). It was stated that part of it was seeing the game the same way, so one would think that could enter into Ray's decision... not only for compatibility with the HC and organization, but also with the QBs that he's going to be coaching.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    Whether he wants to or not (I believe he has indicated an interest in the past), at this point, there are likely few spots where all the spots haven't already been allocated. I'm not sure if Toronto has saved room on their staff, but I'd think he'll take a year to adjust to life away from the game before taking on the next phase, then seek out a situation where he's set up for success and working with people that he trusts and respects.

Always interesting to see how the transition to coaching goes for different players... both in the speed that they rise and also the success that they have. Guys like Dickenson and Maas were rather meteoric compared to others, while Jackson, Dinwiddie, Jones and Brady have had success as well. Anthony Calvillo hasn't yet seemed to find that success, and it may be more of a reflection of where he's been rather than his own adaption/skill set, and this year sees Drew Tate starting down the path in BC.

Thinking back to an interview with Trevor Harris shortly after he signed in Edmonton, he talked about the guys that he learned the most from as teammates, and they included people like Danny O'Brien, more so than Ricky Ray and Henry Burris, who were focused more on their starting role (IIRC). It was stated that part of it was seeing the game the same way, so one would think that could enter into Ray's decision... not only for compatibility with the HC and organization, but also with the QBs that he's going to be coaching.
    Really good players don't necessarily make really good coaches. Things have always come easy for them and some of what they do is god given talent and is tough to teach, where as the guy that's had to struggle through spends a little more time on the X's and O's as they have to.

A good example of this is Gretzky vs Craig Berube. Gretzky didn't have much for success and it looks like Berube may turn out to be a decent coach. Or you could go a little closer to home and compare Maas's coaching path to Calvillos.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

When does he become the QB coach here in Edmonton?

Thanks for the memories RR! Wish you never got traded.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Prez View Post
    When does he become the QB coach here in Edmonton?

Thanks for the memories RR! Wish you never got traded.
    Next season u would like to think!

vCash

Ray is one of those guys who just goes about his job, professionally, doesn't hog the limelight and does what is needed as a leader. He developed his own unique style and made it work into one of the best QB's this league has seen. We could use a lot more Ricky Rays in this world, in every position.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

For those that didn't see it - great piece by Chris O'Leary about how Ricky is seen through the eyes of teammates and opponents. Loved the bits about his "frugality", when Hervey talks about Ray and Maas splitting a bag of trail mix or deer jerky to save their per diem money. https://www.cfl.ca/2019/05/08/oleary...acy-ricky-ray/

I'm glad for the CFL that they've got O'Leary writing for them, but I'm saddened for the state of sports journalism in Canada that the dude doesn't have a bigger portfolio and audience. He is among my favorite story-tellers among active sportswriters in Canada.

Was a little prophetic for the CFL Alumni Association to have Ricky on the hot stove panel at their Grey Cup Luncheon last year. Eskimo QBs of the past with Ray, Allen, Lemmerman, Dunigan and Wilkinson were telling stories, and occasionally being chirped by teammates in the crowd. Was a chance for people to show their appreciation for all of them, but especially Ray - something we haven't really had a chance to do adequately since his departure. He was very gracious with his time afterwards.

One of the other things I liked about Ricky was that, as seriously as he took the game, he didn't necessarily take himself seriously. At CFL Week last year in Winnipeg, they did a session with Brodie Lawson and some of the QBs - Mike Reilly and Trevor Harris were both up there with Ray, but Brodie was getting Ricky to try out "catch-phrases" most of them involving him speaking about himself in the third-person... "It's Ricky time!" and that stuff. There are guys that are much more known for working a crowd and the media, but Ricky did a good job of having some fun with it.

The CFL was better for having Ricky Ray as a player, but it's much richer for having Ricky Ray the person involved with the game up here through his career, and hopefully that involvement will continue into the future.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    For those that didn't see it - great piece by Chris O'Leary about how Ricky is seen through the eyes of teammates and opponents. Loved the bits about his "frugality", when Hervey talks about Ray and Maas splitting a bag of trail mix or deer jerky to save their per diem money. https://www.cfl.ca/2019/05/08/oleary...acy-ricky-ray/

I'm glad for the CFL that they've got O'Leary writing for them, but I'm saddened for the state of sports journalism in Canada that the dude doesn't have a bigger portfolio and audience. He is among my favorite story-tellers among active sportswriters in Canada.

Was a little prophetic for the CFL Alumni Association to have Ricky on the hot stove panel at their Grey Cup Luncheon last year. Eskimo QBs of the past with Ray, Allen, Lemmerman, Dunigan and Wilkinson were telling stories, and occasionally being chirped by teammates in the crowd. Was a chance for people to show their appreciation for all of them, but especially Ray - something we haven't really had a chance to do adequately since his departure. He was very gracious with his time afterwards.

One of the other things I liked about Ricky was that, as seriously as he took the game, he didn't necessarily take himself seriously. At CFL Week last year in Winnipeg, they did a session with Brodie Lawson and some of the QBs - Mike Reilly and Trevor Harris were both up there with Ray, but Brodie was getting Ricky to try out "catch-phrases" most of them involving him speaking about himself in the third-person... "It's Ricky time!" and that stuff. There are guys that are much more known for working a crowd and the media, but Ricky did a good job of having some fun with it.

The CFL was better for having Ricky Ray as a player, but it's much richer for having Ricky Ray the person involved with the game up here through his career, and hopefully that involvement will continue into the future.
    How great would it be if he showed up at the Fred Stamps game and threw him one more TD pass...... The crowd would lose their minds!!!
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by looner View Post
    how great would it be if he showed up at the fred stamps game and threw him one more td pass...... The crowd would lose their minds!!!
    xxxxx100000!!!!!!!
    WALTER IS MY HERO!!

vCash
    Blog Entries

Congratulations on a well-earned retirement, Mr. Ray. It's a sorry shame the way your tenure in Edmonton ended - not just with "the trade", but all the wasted years before that where you were one of the few bright spots on some very mediocre Eskimo teams.

Looking forward to seeing your name on the wall of honour - sooner rather than later!
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

Thanks for all the wonderful memories Ricky!
    " To alcohol, the cause of and solution to all life's problems"

-Homer Simpson

vCash
    Blog Entries

Although the whole story is still somewhat painful to hear again it's still nice to hear how RR loved Edmonton and his teammates. https://www.cfl.ca/2019/05/14/oleary...ay-2012-argos/
    ôRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    Although the whole story is still somewhat painful to hear again it's still nice to hear how RR loved Edmonton and his teammates. https://www.cfl.ca/2019/05/14/oleary...ay-2012-argos/
    He never should have been traded.

I'll never understand how the board justified standing idly by while one of the best players in the CFL was being shipped East.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Could have been worse...they could have traded him to Calgary...
    Just a quick shout out to Mr."Winning isn't everything" for pis*ing away not one but TWO HoF QB's. F*ck you Len and good riddance.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    Could have been worse...they could have traded him to Calgary...
    I’ve heard two different stories on how this went down and how it went..

Insane..

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    I’ve heard two different stories on how this went down and how it went..

Insane..
    Interesting... go on...