Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Edmonton Eskimos Training Camp

vCash

Sports 2019 Edmonton Eskimos Training Camp

CBA signed or not, this thread will happen.

All things related to Eskimos TC will live here. BONE.

vCash

Re: 2019 Edmonton Eskimos Training Camp

Let's hope things get resolved this week...
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    X2!
    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    yeah let's get the f*** on with it we need some football!
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Flying in on Saturday evening, and will hope that my annual pilgrimage results in more than just 3-4 days of training camp, though I'm grateful for the surety that even that provides.

Will try to get some posts up as to what I'm seeing out there, ongoing battles, perceived chemistry, etc.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    Flying in on Saturday evening, and will hope that my annual pilgrimage results in more than just 3-4 days of training camp, though I'm grateful for the surety that even that provides.

Will try to get some posts up as to what I'm seeing out there, ongoing battles, perceived chemistry, etc.
    There's always Thanh-Thanh.... That's worth the trip itself.
    Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    There's always Thanh-Thanh.... That's worth the trip itself.
    I look forward to some perceived chemistry with a bowl of curry chicken and an ongoing battle for the last spring roll.

I'm down to only one more freezer pack left.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post

I'm sure we'll have tons of questions for you and the rest of the gang watching TC.

vCash

Finally. Looking forward to hearing about the 2019 Team.

vCash

Been a long off season!

Cannot wait to get this thing going!

vCash

Should be an interesting camp. Completely different team. I am expecting the Esks to be battling for 3rd in the West with the Bombers.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    Should be an interesting camp. Completely different team. I am expecting the Esks to be battling for 3rd in the West with the Bombers.
    Who’s 1 and 2 ??

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Who’s 1 and 2 ??
    I honestly feel like there is going to be a HUGE log jam from 1-4 with Sask being 5th.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    I honestly feel like there is going to be a HUGE log jam from 1-4 with Sask being 5th.
    Me to, at this point I can see any one of EDM, WPG, CGY or BC finishing first. And I don't think the Riders will be bad, but they have the worst QB in the West.

vCash

Think Winnipeg HAVE to be 1 or 2 preseason.... they got a core returning.. out of all the western teams. The bombers have a lot of guys returning..

I can see any of cal edm Winnipeg and bc finishing anywhere between 1-4 I think sask Finnish 5th at this point ..

Anyone who is saying bc are gonna finish 1 or 2 have to put US in that argument to.. I believe we’re a better football team than bc..
    and cal COULD have a down year... they have lost 11 starters from the grey cup scquad.. but calgary have a habit of reloading.. not rebuilding..

Gonna be interesting!

vCash

Who’s 1 and 2 ??
    Until teams knock them out, I have to put the Stamps in the top 2. Right now, I have the Lions as the other top team. This has nothing to do with Hervey vs Brock so please save your bashing and "Section Q can't get over Hervey". I am basing my opinion straight up on who has the 2 best QB's. The best QB's in the league right now IMO are Mitchell and Reilly. Football is a team game, I get all that but if you have a decent team and then insert a star QB, it elevates you in my mind. I think Harris is a good QB but I think there is a clear division between him and Mitchell-Reilly.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with that. I think the difference between 1-4 won't be a lot. I put the Stamps and the Lions as the top 2 because of their QB's. It would't shock me if the Esks and Bombers end up being tied.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Until teams knock them out, I have to put the Stamps in the top 2. Right now, I have the Lions as the other top team. This has nothing to do with Hervey vs Brock so please save your bashing and "Section Q can't get over Hervey". I am basing my opinion straight up on who has the 2 best QB's. The best QB's in the league right now IMO are Mitchell and Reilly. Football is a team game, I get all that but if you have a decent team and then insert a star QB, it elevates you in my mind. I think Harris is a good QB but I think there is a clear division between him and Mitchell-Reilly.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with that. I think the difference between 1-4 won't be a lot. I put the Stamps and the Lions as the top 2 because of their QB's. It would't shock me if the Esks and Bombers end up being tied.
    Hey Q.. I asked u a simple question..

And for the record.. I don’t bash u fella.. ease back dude.. season hasnt even bloody started yet! Lol

Edit: Q it’s way to early in the year to start any arguing! I respect your opinion.. let’s see how we look! we are all cheering for the same people here lol .. I don’t care about the other 8 teams.. just us and our success..
    Last edited by cmbuk; 05-14-2019 at 12:57 PM.

vCash

- - - Updated - - -

I get your logic and it may very well be valid, will be interesting to see if Hervey can fill the holes that having the top paid player in the league will inevitably bring you. If I was betting man, I would say he will but time will tell.

Sure, but the Esks were 5th last year with Reilly at the helm and the Reilly/Jackson duo is much less of a sure thing than the Reilly/Maas combo was. BC also has far less continuity going in than Edmonton had at the beginning of last year with the vast majority of their key pieces returning at that time. I like a lot of what Herveys done over there, but there are a lot of question marks too, not the least of which is how you build a team with 725K invested in one player.

I actually think Winnipeg's the front runner to start the season, they have the most continuity and have also added a couple game breakers in Jefferson and Matthews.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    Sure, but the Esks were 5th last year with Reilly at the helm and the Reilly/Jackson duo is much less of a sure thing than the Reilly/Maas combo was. BC also has far less continuity going in than Edmonton had at the beginning of last year with the vast majority of their key pieces returning at that time. I like a lot of what Herveys done over there, but there are a lot of question marks too, not the least of which is how you build a team with 725K invested in one player.

I actually think Winnipeg's the front runner to start the season, they have the most continuity and have also added a couple game breakers in Jefferson and Matthews.
    I didn't think the Esks roster was very good last year. I thought they had holes on the Oline and secondary. So I think having Reilly as their QB inflated the Esks record a bit. There were multiple games where IMO Reilly basically won the game by himself. He would running for first downs while dragging defenders to keep drives alive. Making miracle throws. The shots he took sometimes while he waited for a receiver to get open would knock most QB's out.

I think talent wise, Mitchell is probably more talented but I would pick Reilly over Mitchell every time. If there is a 300LB Dlineman standing in the way of Reilly getting the game winning TD, Reilly will bull over that Dlineman and score, Mitchell will not. BC was able to make the playoffs with what I viewed as inferior QB's. Lulay and Jennings are 2 back ups in my opinion. I think Reilly is a QB who is such a good leader, is so tough, so well respected and has the ability to will his team to win at times, that it will have a big impact on BC.
    Last edited by Sectionq; 05-14-2019 at 02:17 PM.

vCash

Hey Q.. I asked u a simple question..

And for the record.. I don’t bash u fella.. ease back dude.. season hasnt even bloody started yet! Lol

Edit: Q it’s way to early in the year to start any arguing! I respect your opinion.. let’s see how we look! we are all cheering for the same people here lol .. I don’t care about the other 8 teams.. just us and our success..
    You asked who I thought would be 1-2. Last season, I thought that the Esks secondary and Oline was an area of weakness. On paper, it looks like they improved it. I think Harris is a good QB. If you are going to lose Reilly and you have no chance at getting Mitchell, then Harris was the best guy to get. So I am happy they got him. But until I see how these teams play, I will take the teams with the better QB's every time.
    Last edited by Sectionq; 05-14-2019 at 02:15 PM.

I didn't think the Esks roster was very good last year. I thought they had holes on the Oline and secondary. So I think having Reilly as their QB inflated the Esks record a bit. There were multiple games where IMO Reilly basically won the game by himself. He would running for first downs while dragging defenders to keep drives alive. Making miracle throws. The shots he took sometimes while he waited for a receiver to get open would knock most QB's out.

I think talent wise, Mitchell is probably more talented but I would pick Reilly over Mitchell every time. If there is a 300LB Dlineman standing in the way of Reilly getting the game winning TD, Reilly will bull over that Dlineman and score, Mitchell will not. BC was able to make the playoffs with what I viewed as inferior QB's. Lulay and Jennings are 2 back ups in my opinion. I think Reilly is a QB who is such a good leader, is so tough, so well respected and has the ability to will his team to win at times, that it will have a big impact on BC.
    Well they went into the season with virtually the same roster that went 12-6 the year before and had nearly made it to the Grey Cup, so I would say they under-preformed last year, and I would say there were far more games where Reilly didn't look like the Reilly we were used to seeing (especially in the second half of the season) than there were games where Reilly single-handedly won it for them.

IMO, defensive and special teams coaching really held us back last year and we are much better off in both of those areas going into this year.

vCash

You asked who I thought would be 1-2. Last season, I thought that the Esks secondary and Oline was an area of weakness. On paper, it looks like they improved it. I think Harris is a good QB. If you are going to lose Reilly and you have no chance at getting Mitchell, then Harris was the best guy to get. So I am happy they got him. But until I see how these teams play, I will take the teams with the better QB's every time.
    All good dude..

vCash

Well they went into the season with virtually the same roster that went 12-6 the year before and had nearly made it to the Grey Cup, so I would say they under-preformed last year, and I would say there were far more games where Reilly didn't look like the Reilly we were used to seeing (especially in the second half of the season) than there were games where Reilly single-handedly won it for them.

IMO, defensive and special teams coaching really held us back last year and we are much better off in both of those areas going into this year.
    Coaching may have played a part in it but in my opinion, I don't think you are winning a lot of games when you have in your secondary as starters:
    CB - Maston - who I never thought was a very good cover guy. He seemed to get beat a lot.
    HB - Grymes - Good player.
    Safety - N.King and Woodman - I don't think either are starters.
    HB - Hunter - A rookie who at times was OK but other times was over matched, struggled in coverage and looked like a rookie.
    CB- Revolving door of Taylor, Hightower, Colquhoun. Colquhoun spent most of the year hurt, Taylor was up and down and so was Hightower

Then you have Edwards as the SLB. That position is required to be in coverage a lot and he wasn't good in coverage and took lots of penalties. I don't think Bene's defense was very good but it's hard to stop a team when 5 out 6 of your main cover guys struggle to cover.

For offense, I have said it before without a good Oline, your offense will struggle. Because Reilly is so good and he can stand in there and take massive shots to wait for a guy to get open, offset the Oline problems to some degree. Draheim missed most of the season with a injury but towards the end of the year, both Draheim and Kelly started at the tackle positions. Between the 2 of them, you probably have enough to play 1 spot on the right side. If you have them both starting, you are in trouble. The fact that Brock went out and signed the best, probably most expensive left tackle on the market while still having both Draheim and Kelly on your team, tells me Brock agrees that those 2 aren't good enough.

vCash
    Blog Entries

I would say there were far more games where Reilly didn't look like the Reilly we were used to seeing (especially in the second half of the season) than there were games where Reilly single-handedly won it for them.
    This.

As a player, 16-18 Reilly always reminded me of an upgraded version of prime Darian Durant: extremely skilled, mobile, and gutsy, but with a strong feast-or-famine dynamic. There were some games where he carried the team on his back, and also others (like the disasters against Saskatchewan, Hamilton, and Winnipeg) where he flat-out imploded.

The Esks' biggest problem on offense was staying consistent. If they can cut down on turnovers, wear down the clock, and excel in the small plays just as well as the highlight-reel bombs, they'll be in much better shape this year.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

I will be interested to see what they do with Colquhoun. He can be a decent player and the fact he is Canadian gives you an advantage ratio wise but can you go into another season counting on him to be available. In 2 seasons, out of 36 games he's been available for 14 games. 9 games in 2017, 5 in 2018.

vCash

Coaching may have played a part in it but in my opinion, I don't think you are winning a lot of games when you have in your secondary as starters:
    CB - Maston - who I never thought was a very good cover guy. He seemed to get beat a lot.
    HB - Grymes - Good player.
    Safety - N.King and Woodman - I don't think either are starters.
    HB - Hunter - A rookie who at times was OK but other times was over matched, struggled in coverage and looked like a rookie.
    CB- Revolving door of Taylor, Hightower, Colquhoun. Colquhoun spent most of the year hurt, Taylor was up and down and so was Hightower

Then you have Edwards as the SLB. That position is required to be in coverage a lot and he wasn't good in coverage and took lots of penalties. I don't think Bene's defense was very good but it's hard to stop a team when 5 out 6 of your main cover guys struggle to cover.

For offense, I have said it before without a good Oline, your offense will struggle. Because Reilly is so good and he can stand in there and take massive shots to wait for a guy to get open, offset the Oline problems to some degree. Draheim missed most of the season with a injury but towards the end of the year, both Draheim and Kelly started at the tackle positions. Between the 2 of them, you probably have enough to play 1 spot on the right side. If you have them both starting, you are in trouble. The fact that Brock went out and signed the best, probably most expensive left tackle on the market while still having both Draheim and Kelly on your team, tells me Brock agrees that those 2 aren't good enough.
    Having the highest paid player in the league will inevitably leave you with a few holes on your roster, which will be BC's struggle this year. Their early depth chart has Woodman and Edwards as starters, along with Keon Lyn at DB, who has a grande total of 3 GP in 2 years and Maleki Harris in the linebacking core with 11 GP and 35 tackles in 2 years, their starting DE has zero GP in the CFL also. You would think that would knock them down a notch or two in your mind, it does in mine.

That being said Hervey has been able to find a few value contracts in the past, so maybe he does it again but the preliminary depth chart has holes for sure. (Woodman and Edwards admittedly on your list of bad starters)

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/05/14/off-se...hart-bc-lions/

vCash

Having the highest paid player in the league will inevitably leave you with a few holes on your roster, which will be BC's struggle this year. Their early depth chart has Woodman and Edwards as starters, along with Keon Lyn at DB, who has a grande total of 3 GP in 2 years and Maleki Harris in the linebacking core with 11 GP and 35 tackles in 2 years, their starting DE has zero GP in the CFL also. You would think that would knock them down a notch or two in your mind, it does in mine.

That being said Hervey has been able to find a few value contracts in the past, so maybe he does it again but the preliminary depth chart has holes for sure. (Woodman and Edwards admittedly on your list of bad starters)

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/05/14/off-se...hart-bc-lions/
    I wonder what the combination of Lulay and Jennings were making? Combined, I bet it covered 3/4 of Reilly's salary. They cut/didn't resign Arceneaux, I am sure he was making big money. They let Posey go who was probably making big money coming from the NFL. Lemon is gone and probably made big money. Sutton is gone and would have been making decent money. Cutting Eliminiian would I assume save them a lot of money. But you are right, paying a QB as much as they are paying Reilly means you have to cut in other areas. Based on the few guys I listed, it looks like they cut back on their receiver budget. Hervey being a former high end receiver would know what to look for and during his time with the Esks, seemed to be able to find them.
    Walker, Zylstra, Mitchell. I believe Williams was found by Hervey.
    Last edited by Sectionq; 05-14-2019 at 04:40 PM.

vCash

I wonder what the combination of Lulay and Jennings were making? Combined, I bet it covered 3/4 of Reilly's salary. They cut/didn't resign Arceneaux, I am sure he was making big money. They let Posey go who was probably making big money coming from the NFL. Lemon is gone and probably made big money. Sutton is gone and would have been making decent money. Cutting Eliminiian would I assume save them a lot of money. But you are right, paying a QB as much as they are paying Reilly means you have to cut in other areas. Based on the few guys I listed, it looks like they cut back on their receiver budget. Hervey being a former high end receiver would know what to look for and during his time with the Esks, seemed to be able to find them.
    Walker, Zylstra, Mitchell. I believe Williams was found by Hervey.
    You could also say they are using some of their secondary money to pay Reilly as Woodman and Edwards are listed as starters along with a guy who has zero CFL games experience.

That being said I still think their d will be OK as their biggest acquisition was Claybrooks. One of the things I'll be watching is if he can get more out of those players based on the scheme he's going to run.

vCash

You could also say they are using some of their secondary money to pay Reilly as Woodman and Edwards are listed as starters along with a guy who has zero CFL games experience.

That being said I still think their d will be OK as their biggest acquisition was Claybrooks. One of the things I'll be watching is if he can get more out of those players based on the scheme he's going to run.
    I think that's the big thing - no offense to Wally, but I saw a number of instances where his players "tuned out" Buono the past couple of years. Claybrooks should add a lot to the Lions.