Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Edmonton Eskimos Training Camp

Re: 2019 Edmonton Eskimos Training Camp

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    Coaching may have played a part in it but in my opinion, I don't think you are winning a lot of games when you have in your secondary as starters:
    CB - Maston - who I never thought was a very good cover guy. He seemed to get beat a lot.
    HB - Grymes - Good player.
    Safety - N.King and Woodman - I don't think either are starters.
    HB - Hunter - A rookie who at times was OK but other times was over matched, struggled in coverage and looked like a rookie.
    CB- Revolving door of Taylor, Hightower, Colquhoun. Colquhoun spent most of the year hurt, Taylor was up and down and so was Hightower

Then you have Edwards as the SLB. That position is required to be in coverage a lot and he wasn't good in coverage and took lots of penalties. I don't think Bene's defense was very good but it's hard to stop a team when 5 out 6 of your main cover guys struggle to cover.

For offense, I have said it before without a good Oline, your offense will struggle. Because Reilly is so good and he can stand in there and take massive shots to wait for a guy to get open, offset the Oline problems to some degree. Draheim missed most of the season with a injury but towards the end of the year, both Draheim and Kelly started at the tackle positions. Between the 2 of them, you probably have enough to play 1 spot on the right side. If you have them both starting, you are in trouble. The fact that Brock went out and signed the best, probably most expensive left tackle on the market while still having both Draheim and Kelly on your team, tells me Brock agrees that those 2 aren't good enough.
    Realistically, there are always going to be a couple positions on your team that you'd like to upgrade, but I thought overall there was enough talent on the roster to contend for the cup last year, they just didn't live up to their potential.

I like the guys we brought in but I'm more excited about the changes to the coaching staff, I think we really addressed some problem areas from last year. And frankly, I don't even care who our DB's end up being, I'm just glad I won't have to see them giving receivers 15 yard cushions so they can watch opponents rack up yards right in front of them anymore lol.

vCash

I wonder what the combination of Lulay and Jennings were making? Combined, I bet it covered 3/4 of Reilly's salary. They cut/didn't resign Arceneaux, I am sure he was making big money. They let Posey go who was probably making big money coming from the NFL. Lemon is gone and probably made big money. Sutton is gone and would have been making decent money. Cutting Eliminiian would I assume save them a lot of money. But you are right, paying a QB as much as they are paying Reilly means you have to cut in other areas. Based on the few guys I listed, it looks like they cut back on their receiver budget. Hervey being a former high end receiver would know what to look for and during his time with the Esks, seemed to be able to find them.
    Walker, Zylstra, Mitchell. I believe Williams was found by Hervey.
    For salaries that actually counted against the cap (Lulay, Elimimian and Arceneaux were 6-game'd half the year, Sutton came over late Sept, Posey was a mid-season addition, Lemon came a third of the way in, etc), the Lions will spend significantly more at the QB position this year if Mike stays off the 6-game IR. If he doesn't, there are significant depth issues, but we all know he's tough as nails. To be apples to apples, it would have to be Reilly and Ricky Lloyd salaries against Lulay and Jennings last year - but there were a lot of incentive elements to last year's, and much that didn't count against the cap.

Burnham got a big raise, TJ Lee got a good bump, Aaron Grymes wouldn't have come cheap, and of course Sukh Cheung got a top-end contract.

I'm not criticizing the Lions, but I am wary of the kind of deference they're getting from oddsmakers - generally, guys that get paid to know. No doubt the Lions have some room to make some tweaks and address some areas as things go along, but this feels much more like elements of rebuild, albeit accelerated by getting Reilly.

I don't have a clue what to make of the Leos in terms of predictions. How fast they can gel, how good their young, inexperienced coaching staff will do, whether they'll get good payback from Duron Carter and John White, and whether they can find enough diamonds in the rough to fill some of the gaps.

vCash

I will be interested to see what they do with Colquhoun. He can be a decent player and the fact he is Canadian gives you an advantage ratio wise but can you go into another season counting on him to be available. In 2 seasons, out of 36 games he's been available for 14 games. 9 games in 2017, 5 in 2018.
    His injury history concerns me a lot as well. I will be amazed if we seem him on the opening night roster.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by widowmaker View Post
    His injury history concerns me a lot as well. I will be amazed if we seem him on the opening night roster.
    Trade him!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    For salaries that actually counted against the cap (Lulay, Elimimian and Arceneaux were 6-game'd half the year, Sutton came over late Sept, Posey was a mid-season addition, Lemon came a third of the way in, etc), the Lions will spend significantly more at the QB position this year if Mike stays off the 6-game IR. If he doesn't, there are significant depth issues, but we all know he's tough as nails. To be apples to apples, it would have to be Reilly and Ricky Lloyd salaries against Lulay and Jennings last year - but there were a lot of incentive elements to last year's, and much that didn't count against the cap.

Burnham got a big raise, TJ Lee got a good bump, Aaron Grymes wouldn't have come cheap, and of course Sukh Cheung got a top-end contract.

I'm not criticizing the Lions, but I am wary of the kind of deference they're getting from oddsmakers - generally, guys that get paid to know. No doubt the Lions have some room to make some tweaks and address some areas as things go along, but this feels much more like elements of rebuild, albeit accelerated by getting Reilly.

I don't have a clue what to make of the Leos in terms of predictions. How fast they can gel, how good their young, inexperienced coaching staff will do, whether they'll get good payback from Duron Carter and John White, and whether they can find enough diamonds in the rough to fill some of the gaps.
    The oddsmakers are doing exactly what I am doing. Teams haven't played a single game, haven't even practiced yet so they are looking at the roster and if all things are being equal, most people will side with the team that has the better player at the most critical position. For football, if you have a superstar QB, more times than not you are a good team. Reilly is a better QB than Harris, I would assume no one is debating that. It will come down to if the Esks built a better team in other areas to make up for the difference in QB ability. I hope they did.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

The oddsmakers are doing exactly what I am doing. Teams haven't played a single game, haven't even practiced yet so they are looking at the roster and if all things are being equal, most people will side with the team that has the better player at the most critical position. For football, if you have a superstar QB, more times than not you are a good team. Reilly is a better QB than Harris, I would assume no one is debating that. It will come down to if the Esks built a better team in other areas to make up for the difference in QB ability. I hope they did.
    Both are talents qbs without question.. this is what I’m Most curious about!

Player or system ?
    System or player?

I’m a big Believer in systems...

We’re gonna find out !!

At this point sure, but no one was talking about Reilly as an elite QB until after he started working with Maas.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Both are talents qbs without question.. this is what I’m Most curious about!

Player or system ?
    System or player?

I’m a big Believer in systems...

We’re gonna find out !!
    I think Harris makes his reads quicker so we're going to see less pressure on the OL, and more of a ball control offense that's gonna dominate TOP.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    At this point sure, but no one was talking about Reilly as an elite QB until after he started working with Maas.

- - - Updated - - -

I think Harris makes his reads quicker so we're going to see less pressure on the OL, and more of a ball control offense that's gonna dominate TOP.
    This is where getting Ellingson to come over helps immensely. Returning players here are used to how Reilly throws - where, how hard, how fast... Ellingson knows Harris, so they should have a leg up on that chemistry to start the season.

Looking forward to seeing how Maas adjusts his schemes to fit the players he's got this year.
    #PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash
    Blog Entries

“RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

First year in a LONG time that I won't be able to attend camp, looking forward to the camp updates
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    First year in a LONG time that I won't be able to attend camp, looking forward to the camp updates
    I was actually considering flying in for it and attending the first pre-season game on my b-day, but just couldn't afford it this year. Of course if I could have swung it, I probably would have jinxed the CBA negotiations and there most certainly would have been a lockout
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash
    Blog Entries

“RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    Pretty accurate write up I think, I agree that the Esks could be a sleeper pick in the West.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    Pretty accurate write up I think, I agree that the Esks could be a sleeper pick in the West.
    That LB crew looks really good. Plus hopefully a more aggressive D this year.

vCash

I would be starting Draheim over Kelly. Kelly is not that good.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

I would be starting Draheim over Kelly. Kelly is not that good.
    It's possible that is exactly how it plays out. This is likely based on who played where last year plus the new people. I doubt that this was given to them by the coaching staff, but you never know.
    #PizStrong

Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    It's possible that is exactly how it plays out. This is likely based on who played where last year plus the new people. I doubt that this was given to them by the coaching staff, but you never know.
    I hope so. Draheim didn't play enough but they had him at the more important side, the left which is the QB's blind side and I thought in limited action he was better than Kelly. We shall see.

vCash

I think you're right that it's what they're doing. I am not a big gambler, but I am used to the oddsmakers being smarter than the average bear on this stuff, because they have money on the line and real consequences if they're too far off in their thinking.

Your assessments of "I've got them there until someone knocks them off" or "They've got the best player at the most critical position" are both not wrong... nor are they the only measures.

You've heard the importance of Canadians when it comes to winning teams. You've heard the old Hugh Campbellism that for every starter you change it's a loss in the standings the next year (ie. continuity). You've heard the importance of continuity and systems, where even last year Reilly was talking about how much further ahead they'd be because of returning coaches and personnel familiar with most of it.

We could probably make a viable case for any team to finish in at least 4 of the 5 spots in the west. I won't go so far as to suggest that Calgary could realistically be projected for 5th and out of the playoffs despite the changes to key personnel and the loss of their DC. Similarly, I think it's a tough argument to project Edmonton or Saskatchewan as first in the west, with changes at key positions (Reilly) and coaches (Chris Jones) and a period of adjustment. BC may have upgrades in both Reilly and Claybrooks, but the latter is a rookie HC and has a very inexperienced staff with Drew Tate, Keith Stokes, Nik Lewis, Ryan Phillips, etc - all of whom may prove to be great coaches, but odds are there may be some bumpiness in the road along the way.

vCash

I hope so. Draheim didn't play enough but they had him at the more important side, the left which is the QB's blind side and I thought in limited action he was better than Kelly. We shall see.
    I’m interested in seeing how quickly Saxelid can challenge here, not to mention the other Canadians in the system.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BeaverSports View Post
    I’m interested in seeing how quickly Saxelid can challenge here, not to mention the other Canadians in the system.
    would be nice if he could come in and grab the right tackle position, would help with ratio flexibility.
    #PizStrong

vCash

A few discussion points from the projected depth chart:

• Can't be good for Bobo that the CFL called him Bozo
    • Seems to be a fair amount of competition at the WR position, would like to see a new guy come in and grab a spot
    • None of the draft picks are in there, wonder if they are going to be looking at Saxelid at RT
    • Going to be interesting to see the safety battle between Hoover and Beaulieu
    • Sorensen has peaked my interest at the DE spot, curious to see what he brings
    • Interested to see if Onyeka can push Colquhoun for the starter role
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    A few discussion points from the projected depth chart:

• Can't be good for Bobo that the CFL called him Bozo
    • Seems to be a fair amount of competition at the WR position, would like to see a new guy come in and grab a spot
    • None of the draft picks are in there, wonder if they are going to be looking at Saxelid at RT
    • Going to be interesting to see the safety battle between Hoover and Beaulieu
    • Sorensen has peaked my interest at the DE spot, curious to see what he brings
    • Interested to see if Onyeka can push Colquhoun for the starter role
    Curious about Bond, too. Could they conceivably go NI at guard?

vCash

Hi there folks. Long time lurker on the forum -downloader of podcasts -and of course a long time fan of the Esks (being from Ont its tough to feel fully involved when you're out here with the Argos and the Cats). My grandfather was originally from EDM so he managed to brainwash me enough that even John Candy and Pinball weren't enough to throw shade on Gizmo when I was growing up... Question that I hope its the right place for - I finally managed to swing a trip to EDM during training camp but wont have a lot of time (really only the morning of June 3rd) to spend on finding the "Eskimo Way" - but was hoping that some of you might have some tips on the best way to make the most of my limited time. I'm going to sit in on the open practices - but was wondering if there are any tours or places in the stadium that I can get to outside of game time and during camp (examples - You have to see the display of the...on the...level...best place to meet the players is... - that type of thing). Any advice is good advice. Thanks!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Ont_Eskfan_TM View Post
    Hi there folks. Long time lurker on the forum -downloader of podcasts -and of course a long time fan of the Esks (being from Ont its tough to feel fully involved when you're out here with the Argos and the Cats). My grandfather was originally from EDM so he managed to brainwash me enough that even John Candy and Pinball weren't enough to throw shade on Gizmo when I was growing up... Question that I hope its the right place for - I finally managed to swing a trip to EDM during training camp but wont have a lot of time (really only the morning of June 3rd) to spend on finding the "Eskimo Way" - but was hoping that some of you might have some tips on the best way to make the most of my limited time. I'm going to sit in on the open practices - but was wondering if there are any tours or places in the stadium that I can get to outside of game time and during camp (examples - You have to see the display of the...on the...level...best place to meet the players is... - that type of thing). Any advice is good advice. Thanks!!
    Glad to have you post.

Unfortunately, there are very few things set up for access at training camp, outside of just sitting in the stands and getting a look at them practice. They'll just be coming off their Fan Day the day before (Sunday, June 2, 1-4pm), but for regular practices, there's very little access to other parts of the stadium or to the players.

It might not be a bad idea to either email someone in the public relations team, or even phone the office to explain the situation and see if there was any way that you might be able to make the most of your visit, but from a general public perspective, there's not a lot of extras due to it being a city-owned facility and typically quite small numbers of attendees.

vCash

vCash

vCash

vCash

Thanks Great White! Appreciate it. I will be sitting and watching and enjoying without worrying I'm missing out on a magical room full of Esk treasures sitting 100ft away...

vCash

Just outside the team store is an awesome mural of Esk greats - worth asking team store staff if they can let you through the doors for a closer look.

vCash

Konar released.....another one bites the dust.
    WALTER IS MY HERO!!