Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Edmonton Eskimos Training Camp

vCash

Re: 2019 Edmonton Eskimos Training Camp

Quote Originally Posted by BeaverSports View Post
    I believe Harris can throw the deep ball down the field as well as Reilly can, but to be honest, I wouldn't mind more of a check-down type of offence here. I felt like a lot of times in the last year or two, Reilly would simply get fixated on the deep ball and not roll through different progressions. Maybe, as you said, they were relying on receivers' athleticism on 50/50 balls. If anything, to me, as powerful as the Esks offence was, it got to be a bit one dimensional at times. When it had the most success, they were using Gable well and mixing in the shorter routes.
    I won't disagree with that as much as I liked Mike the one thing that often drove me nuts was 2nd and 4 let's bomb it 35 yards down field. 1st and 10 bomb, bomb bomb bomb.
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    I won't disagree with that as much as I liked Mike the one thing that often drove me nuts was 2nd and 4 let's bomb it 35 yards down field. 1st and 10 bomb, bomb bomb bomb.
    x2
    WALTER IS MY HERO!!

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BeaverSports View Post
    I believe Harris can throw the deep ball down the field as well as Reilly can, but to be honest, I wouldn't mind more of a check-down type of offence here. I felt like a lot of times in the last year or two, Reilly would simply get fixated on the deep ball and not roll through different progressions. Maybe, as you said, they were relying on receivers' athleticism on 50/50 balls. If anything, to me, as powerful as the Esks offence was, it got to be a bit one dimensional at times. When it had the most success, they were using Gable well and mixing in the shorter routes.
    Absolutely. When our opponents began to key in on that in the 2nd half of the year, it basically spelled the end of our season.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

"No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Colquhoun missing practice again? I believe he missed time last week as well. Not a good start for him.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    Colquhoun missing practice again? I believe he missed time last week as well. Not a good start for him.
    He did play in the game though but you are right, it is a bit concerning.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post

Cooper & Jackson had best get healthy & back on the field soon. Robinson looked good on returns & didnt look out of place at RB either.....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    He did play in the game though but you are right, it is a bit concerning.
    I didn't see the game, I only listened to it but I assume he didn't play for very long because the team usually wants to see lots of guys. The fact that he is banged up and missing time already when as a team they haven't practiced a lot because camp has barely got started. They don't do a lot of padded practices anymore and I assume he wouldn't have played a ton because he is a vet and the first game is usually reserved for mostly rookies. I don't want to come across as negative but they really need to not count on this guy much because this is screaming the last 2 seasons all over again.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    I didn't see the game, I only listened to it but I assume he didn't play for very long because the team usually wants to see lots of guys. The fact that he is banged up and missing time already when as a team they haven't practiced a lot because camp has barely got started. They don't do a lot of padded practices anymore and I assume he wouldn't have played a ton because he is a vet and the first game is usually reserved for mostly rookies. I don't want to come across as negative but they really need to not count on this guy much because this is screaming the last 2 seasons all over again.
    Unfortunately I haven't been able to attend camp this year but this concern may be lessened depending on Oyekas development. One has to assume that he'll be better this year than last but I don't know for sure.

vCash

Unfortunately I haven't been able to attend camp this year but this concern may be lessened depending on Oyekas development. One has to assume that he'll be better this year than last but I don't know for sure.
    I'm gonna go super positive and boldly predict that our front four and linebackers are gonna freak out opposing offenses so much that our DB's won't need to be elite. Fingers crossed big time on that

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    Not sure I agree with this statement:

2015:

Bo Weevil: 4551 yards. TD/INT 26/13 Average 8.2
    Reilly: only played 10 games but his average was 7.4
    Harris: 4354 yards TD/INT 33/19 Average 8.1

leading passer: Burris.

2016:

Reilly: 5554 yards TD/INT 28/12 Average yards 8.8
    BoWeevil: 5385 yards TD/INT 32/8 Average 8.9
    Harris: ( 12 games) TD/INT 16/4 Average 10.0

Leading Passer: Reilly

Reilly: 5830 TD INT 30/13 Average 8.9
    Bo Weevil: 4700 TD INT 23/11 Average 8.6
    Harris: 4679 ( 15 games ) TD INT 30/11 Average 8.2

Leading passer Reilly

2018:

Reilly 5562 yards TD INT 30/18 Average 9.0
    Bo Weevil 5124 TD INT 35/14 Average 8.8
    Harris 5116 yards TD INT 22/11 Average 8.3

Leading passer: Reilly again.

What does the leading passers for each season have in common ? Jason Maas systems.

So no. He doesn't have consistently lower yards per attempt. Hes right on par with those two. I think the big issue is our receiving core... he has a killer group in ottawa... we just lost Zylstra, duke, walker and mitchell. IF we had three of those , I have no doubt hed be killing the league. I'm not sure about this group...yet. gunna be interesting.

What he does is get rid of the ball quicker than Reilly does
    Wow, Im actually a bit shocked by that 10 ypa. Thats a ridiculously high number especially over a good chunk of games.

I do wish the CFL started measuring average depth of target earlier (stat sheet only started including it last year) as that stat takes out the yac yards. Last year Harris adot was 9.7. Only Franklin and Bethel-thompson had a lower one. Mitchell led the league at 12.5, Masoli 11.8 and Reilly 11.5. And Harris only attempted the deep ball (20+) 92 times. Mitchell had 134 and Reilly 133.

Definitely could be a game plan thing though. Im really intrigued by this season as there were so many changes on both sides of the ball.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    Wow, I’m actually a bit shocked by that 10 ypa. That’s a ridiculously high number especially over a good chunk of games.

I do wish the CFL started measuring average depth of target earlier (stat sheet only started including it last year) as that stat takes out the yac yards. Last year Harris adot was 9.7. Only Franklin and Bethel-thompson had a lower one. Mitchell led the league at 12.5, Masoli 11.8 and Reilly 11.5. And Harris only attempted the deep ball (20+) 92 times. Mitchell had 134 and Reilly 133.

Definitely could be a game plan thing though. I’m really intrigued by this season as there were so many changes on both sides of the ball.
    I'd suspect Offensive game plans as well as personal. I'm happy we might have a bit of a check down offense , IMO Reilly looked deep too much at times.

Either Way I'm excited to see what Maas' has for Harris I'd suspect with Maas being Maas we'll see a fair amount of deep stuff

vCash

igned the following players:

International offensive lineman Tyler Howell
    International running back Blake Ingleton
    International defensive lineman David Perkins
    http://draftanalyst.com/tyler-howell

Junior college transfer who started at left tackle in both of his seasons at Missouri.

Pos:

Massive tackle prospect best in a small area. Quick and possesses excellent length. Patient, keeps his feet moving and stays square in pass protection. Strong at the point of attack and fights with his hands throughout the action.

Neg:

Gets narrow based in his setup and isnt a natural leverage blocker. Lacks overall balance and struggles to adjust.

Analysis:

Howell possesses next-level size but is strictly a right tackle prospect who must improve his fundamentals. Size alone will get him consideration for a practice squad.

================================================== ================================================
    Run the Ball up the gut around the horn it does not matter. We run we win what is so difficult to understand.

vCash

I think Howell has been here before
    Howell was signed in March, and released right before camp. I guess they figured they should have a better look at him in camp, and see what they might have, with SirV down for a few months (knocking wood)
    Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

http://www.nfl.com/player/davidperkins/2556349/draft

David Perkins

Height: 6-2 Weight: 233 Age: 26

Born: 1/13/1993

College: Illinois State

Experience: Season

TCKL

SCK

FF

INT

Career Stats
    Game Logs
    Draft

Draft 2016

Pick Analysis: Perkins started his college career at Ohio State in 2012, and transferred to Illinois State for the 2013 season. Perkins played in 38 games at Illinois State, registering 20.5 sacks and 29 tackles for loss. Perkins was a second-team All-Missouri Valley Football Conference selection in 2015. In 2012 at Ohio State, Perkins saw action in nine games as a true freshman.

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2016...-david-perkins
    That brings us to the player on this installment of diamond in the rough

OLB David Perkins from Illinois State 6'3 240 4.43/40 22 bench reps

2015- 69 tackles- 12 TFL- 8.5 sacks

2014- 64 tackles- 12 TFL- 8 sacks

He is almost the same size as (mocked to us with the 20th pick) Noah Spence only much faster (he has blazing speed) than Spence and the similarities don't stop there as you will see. Until his senior year in high school David played RB and LB where he dominated: 1,311 rushing yards and 15 TD's 103 tackles 22 TFL 8 FF 13 sacks as a junior. He was recruited by every major school but thought that tall RB's have short careers in the NFL so he switch permanently to defense and took a scholarship to Ohio st (same as Noah Spence).

Arriving at OSU he realized he was 2nd on the depth chart (as a freshman) behind Ryan Shazier (1st rd pick of the Steelers) and he would have to wait for two years to get time on the field. Because he wanted to play right away and youthful foolhardiness he transferred: not because of malfeasance or drugs but because of desire to play.

By all accounts David is a high character person and a hard worker in film study and the weight room. He is quoted as saying "I take pride of being a good person" and has dreams of (when done with his NFL career) "taking a average high school football program and turning it into a powerhouse".

He is quoted as saying "I think probably 80% of the game is mental, if you know what's going on and who is going to be where. If you know the offensive tendencies and really break down your opponent, you reduce the game to technique and effort".

To me that sounds like a kid who is well grounded and doesn't just rely on his physical abilities to get the job done. He sounds intelligent and hungry for an opportunity, someone who can be coached, will work hard and be a good influence (eventually) in the locker room. I really hope the Jets are aware and take a look at this kid; we have little to lose and plenty to gain.

Run the Ball up the gut around the horn it does not matter. We run we win what is so difficult to understand.

vCash

• International offensive lineman Tyler Howell
    • International running back Blake Ingleton
    • International defensive lineman David Perkins

vCash

SirV was out there coaching up the guys today with his arm casted up. Quite the pair with Coach Gibson, who's in a full leg cast. SirV went after Cerge-Henderson hard (verbally) after he saw something he didn't like from him in 5-on-5's. Saxelid got a fair bit of time at LT today, as they continue to look at flexibility and contingencies with different combinations. With Peterson sitting out, Howell was thrown right in.

We had some mixing and matching in the secondary as well, with Nick Taylor playing on the corner and Jalen Spencer and Tyquwan Glass playing HB. Walker got some looks at SAM.

Not reading too much into the injuries, as it's hard to tell what's a maintenance day and what is a legitimate injury that requires some time. With starters unlikely to travel to Wpg there isn't a lot of point in pushing guys to play through nicks if the coaches know what they have in them (Colquhoun, Beard in particular).

Hoover and McMaster both had good days with plays that brought their teammates out of their seats.

Interesting to watch Perkins arrive mid-session, having to tote his equipment down to where the D-line was working and find a way to integrate into things. I don't imagine that the guys were thrilled to have more competition arrive, but he was doing all the right things as a teammate, getting water for guys, high living when guys made plays, and seemed to integrate quickly. First impression was that he's a bit of a raw rusher - looks a little out of control in his arm movements, but had some speed and some push.

Usports internship was over and the 5th QB was not there today.

Only one slight flare-up of tempers (aside from SirV yelling), and that was when Gable didn't like some contact from a defender in the pile. Otherwise, pretty disciplined day.

Saw Coach Lolley lay down 100 perfect form pushups in between the two sessions. Dude is a specimen! Had a chance to chat with him for a few minutes after practice and compare my notes with his - excited for what's to come this year. As he said, there will be some ratio dependent decisions, but lots of talent to work with, and to his eyes, still plenty of work to do.

One more day of camp for me before heading home tomorrow.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    SirV was out there coaching up the guys today with his arm casted up. Quite the pair with Coach Gibson, who's in a full leg cast. SirV went after Cerge-Henderson hard (verbally) after he saw something he didn't like from him in 5-on-5's. Saxelid got a fair bit of time at LT today, as they continue to look at flexibility and contingencies with different combinations. With Peterson sitting out, Howell was thrown right in.

We had some mixing and matching in the secondary as well, with Nick Taylor playing on the corner and Jalen Spencer and Tyquwan Glass playing HB. Walker got some looks at SAM.

Not reading too much into the injuries, as it's hard to tell what's a maintenance day and what is a legitimate injury that requires some time. With starters unlikely to travel to Wpg there isn't a lot of point in pushing guys to play through nicks if the coaches know what they have in them (Colquhoun, Beard in particular).

Hoover and McMaster both had good days with plays that brought their teammates out of their seats.

Interesting to watch Perkins arrive mid-session, having to tote his equipment down to where the D-line was working and find a way to integrate into things. I don't imagine that the guys were thrilled to have more competition arrive, but he was doing all the right things as a teammate, getting water for guys, high living when guys made plays, and seemed to integrate quickly. First impression was that he's a bit of a raw rusher - looks a little out of control in his arm movements, but had some speed and some push.

Only one slight flare-up of tempers (aside from SirV yelling), and that was when Gable didn't like some contact from a defender in the pile. Otherwise, pretty disciplined day.

Saw Coach Lolley lay down 100 perfect form pushups in between the two sessions. Dude is a specimen! Had a chance to chat with him for a few minutes after practice and compare my notes with his - excited for what's to come this year. As he said, there will be some ratio dependent decisions, but lots of talent to work with, and to his eyes, still plenty of work to do.

Better TC reports here from GWN than any local media outlet. Thanks again as always, Paul.

vCash

Thanks for the reports GWN!
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on

vCash
    Blog Entries

Thank you, GWN. Always a pleasure to read your reports.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

Ditto to GWN

vCash

You're the best GWN!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post

I'll assume that my guy Bobo was standing out yet again while you were focused on other positions as well as the DC's push-up prowess. Seriously, thanks for doing this again GWN!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GREYx14 View Post
    I'll assume that my guy Bobo was standing out yet again while you were focused on other positions as well as the DC's push-up prowess. Seriously, thanks for doing this again GWN!
    Can’t believe we’re not on tv at all!

Wonder if bombers will stream Friday?

vCash

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post

I'm guessing the fact that we have 20 DB's in camp has led to a bunch of the vets getting a little rest.

vCash

Someone refresh my memory, when is the first cut down day or is there just 1 in the CFL?
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Someone refresh my memory, when is the first cut down day or is there just 1 in the CFL?
    1 day - June 8th 10 PM Eastern time.
    I think it was changed to one day for all clubs because of the unbalanced dates for pre-season games.

- - - Updated - - -

vCash

Just the one.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Can’t believe we’re not on tv at all!

Wonder if bombers will stream Friday?
    This should make your day:

Darren Cameron
    @Darren_Cameron

13m
    (link: http://Bluebombers.com) Bluebombers.com will live stream Friday's preseason game vs Edmonton, syncing with @680CJOB
    @BobIrvingCJOB
    and @DougBrown97
    radio call. Kickoff is 7:30 p.m. CT.