Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Edmonton Eskimos Training Camp

vCash
    Blog Entries

Re: 2019 Edmonton Eskimos Training Camp

Kilgore slinging like a boss.

Even if it's against preseason scrubs, it's nice to see him succeeding.

- - - Updated - - -

^ And even on that play, he did well to avoid the sack.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OK14 View Post
    Kilgore slinging like a boss.

Even if it's against preseason scrubs, it's nice to see him succeeding.

- - - Updated - - -

^ And even on that play, he did well to avoid the sack.
    Actually I see a few starters out there for the Bombers on defense (like Bighill) so I don't think their all scrubs
    ôRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash
    Blog Entries

That pass knockdown was smooth as Glass.

- - - Updated - - -

Another first down from Kilgore.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice to see Taylor finally break through a bit.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

and there goes Parker's Achilles going pop

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OK14 View Post
    Winnipeg's live stream director favors portrait mode for some reason.
    YES, annoying as hell if you're trying to see the line play

vCash

And too many shots of goofs in the stands & kids dancing!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by writfiler View Post
    And too many shots of goofs in the stands & kids dancing!
    ya it was nice quality.. but BLECH.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Fan Day

Just got back home after a long and busy day out, which included a visit to Fan Day.

Fan Day was a ton of fun! There was a wide variety of ages and demographics, and the Esks' event team made sure there was something for everyone. The biggest hits were the BBQ fundraiser and an inflatable zip line along the west track; the zip line had a long lineup of kids and adults alike for most of the afternoon.

The autograph session was awesome as always. Jason Maas, Jason Tucker, and AJ Gass took time to join their players in signing autograph cards along the fence, which was a fun first for me.

Speaking of firsts - I also had the privilege of (finally!) meeting 56Parkies in person at the Eskimo Empire Podcast booth. Definitely one of the biggest highlights of my day!

And now, for the Training Camp side of things...

As far as the actual football stuff goes, this was the only practice I've been to so far, so it's tough to make an accurate assessment on only one day's worth of context. Nonetheless, here's some of what happened:

- A number of players were not present (or not that I saw); notable absentees included Jordan Hoover, Nathan Beaulieu, and Larry Dean. Some rookies from the Winnipeg game were missing as well, which I won't speculate on.

- Anthony Parker showed up on an orthopedic push scooter at the end of the practice session. He didn't spend a ton of time in the autograph line (can't blame him for that), but props to him for making the effort to come out.

- On a positive note, Arjen Colquhoun and Jovan Santos-Knox made appearances in the autograph line. JSK specifically mentioned that he'd be ready to go for the season opener.

- Tevaun Smith was practicing with the 1's today at both SB and WR. Also getting reps on returns with Stangby and Ross.

- Jordan Robinson looks like he added an extra gear in the offseason. He had some explosive plays during the scrimmage drills, including a gorgeous Superman-style catch. If Robinson gets the right opportunities this year, he could go a long way.

- Shai Ross is lightning fast as well. In spite of his dropped TD in Winnipeg, he'd be worth keeping around IMO.

- I was thrown for a loop when I saw Ryan King standing in street clothes helping the offense with their drills. And then I realized that Ryan King shares an uncanny resemblance to new OC Jordan Maksymic (from faraway, anyways) :

- New LB Coach Derek Oswalt (I think it was) had his boys and their friends playing some "run and tackle" during the autograph session. The one seven-year-old really knows how to tackle! He'll be a lock for our 2039 draft class.

And now, for some quotes:

- SirVincent Rogers on his injury: "They said '3-4 months', but I think they're gonna be surprised..." *epic slow head nod*

- Trevor Harris to his teammates, after the Jumbotron showcased a bobblehead made in his likeness: "Come on... You really think that looks like me? That looks nothing like me..." *troll grin*

- Kenny Stafford: "I'm super psyched to be here. It's why I keep coming back every year!"

- Greg Ellingson on coming to Edmonton: "The smoke [on Thursday] was pretty crazy, but I've really enjoyed getting to come here."

- DJ Calhoun, on the preseason hit against the Lions that he posted to Twitter: "Yeaaaaahh man, that's the best part of the game!" He's a real character...

- Bryce Bobo on getting used to 3 downs: "Haha, yeah, it's different, it's fast, but it's really fun! I love it!"

Overall, in spite of the questions on offense, I'm excited to see what this new Esks team will look like. There's new blood, new voices, and a new identity. With the right coaching and the right circumstances, they'll make some noise this year.
    Last edited by OK14; 06-02-2019 at 11:33 PM.

vCash

Thanks for the rundown OK14.
    Here's a recap from the Esks twitter feed too

"No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash
    Blog Entries

Just noticed that Esks released Dan Obrien I'm totally ok with this move he hasn't really showed me anything since he got here ,Kilgore looks like a solid back up and Briscoe at #3 .Whats everybody's thoughts on this

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Thanks for the rundown OK14.
    Here's a recap from the Esks twitter feed too

"Esks reporter" slides in right at the end of that video
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by dealerd View Post
    Just noticed that Esks released Dan Obrien I'm totally ok with this move he hasn't really showed me anything since he got here ,Kilgore looks like a solid back up and Briscoe at #3 .Whats everybody's thoughts on this
    I'm actually very surprised by the move only because I didn't think Briscoe is anywhere near ready. Looking back I'm actually very surprised they only brought 4 QBs to camp but MAYBE Maas has a verbal agreement with Ricky Ray, should Harris get hurt.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    MAYBE Maas has a verbal agreement with Ricky Ray, should Harris get hurt.
    Toronto would have to release him, would they not? Or was Ricky's contract up at the end of last year? I thought if a player retired, that the team retained their rights for the period of the contract (as this would prevent a player from "retiring" to sign a contract with another team).
    Is it game day yet?????

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TeqEEla View Post
    Toronto would have to release him, would they not? Or was Ricky's contract up at the end of last year? I thought if a player retired, that the team retained their rights for the period of the contract (as this would prevent a player from "retiring" to sign a contract with another team).
    Ricky was a free agent without contract heading into 2019.

vCash

vCash

This Williams dude ticked ALL the boxes for me.. god damn!

https://youtu.be/ZuCwqxENsyo

vCash

Seems like our new QB signing has some character as well.

Why Troy Williams' final act as a college quarterback was exactly what you’d expect

Senior captain QB purposefully takes off shoe so backup QB can take final snaps of Utah’s 2017 season

With nothing but dwindling seconds left in his career as a college quarterback, Troy Williams bent down, swiftly untied the laces on his left cleat and held it up toward the sideline.

He needed to come out of the game.

Turns out, Williams took himself off the field in his final appearance.

Utah’s senior quarterback then jogged off the field in the final moments of the 30-14 win over West Virginia in the 2017 Zaxby’s Heart of Dallas Bowl in Dallas on Tuesday afternoon. The decision personified the “C” stitched onto the jersey of the two-time team captain.

Williams jogged off so redshirt freshman and walk-on quarterback Drew Lisk, a graduate of Jordan High, could take the last snaps of Utah’s 2017 season. Lisk, who served as Utah’s primary scout team QB this season, handed off the ball once to senior backup running back Jordan Howard then kneeled out the clock, cementing Utah’s fourth straight bowl win and 11th under coach Kyle Whittingham.

After the game ended, videos of Williams’ kind gesture began circulating on Twitter.

His final act at Utah surprised no one.

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-u...t-youd-expect/

vCash

vCash

Fantastic news!! Hopefully Arjen will be back on the field as well.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by widowmaker View Post
    He was dressed in practice gear yesterday. Can't remember if I saw him participating or not.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    This Williams dude ticked ALL the boxes for me.. god damn!

https://youtu.be/ZuCwqxENsyo
    I am expecting a pretty raw talent to have a look at. 16 career starts between Washington and Utah over three years, and a career completion percentage of just under 54%. According to a blog post on a Seahawks fan board, he transferred to JuCo Santa Monica after his start with Washington, and after a year there, signed with Utah. He apparently lost his starting job with Utah in his last season to Tyler Huntley, after the team changed OC's in the off-season.

Looks to have a strong arm and good athleticism on the highlight reel, and did enough to apparently attract a UDFA look from the Seahawks.

Feels like the upside is as a developmental project or a short yardage guy at this point.

With the salary savings from O'Brien, and those from SirV's contract being 6-gamed (likely twice), it could bring into play a Kevin Glenn type scenario. This would depend on their confidence in Kilgore (understanding that the coaches know if he's making the right reads, etc), as well as what they deem important from the backup QBs to support Harris as the starter.

A little surprised by Dupuis being released, but it likely solidifies that Tuck has shown to have recovered enough from his Achilles injury at mini-camp last year to resume his ST demon ways, and backup McCarty at FB.

Charland's release is an affirmation for Hutter.

Spooner was a guy I thought might warrant some PR viability, but was further down the depth chart.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by widowmaker View Post
    Has it been reported what Colquhoun's issue is?
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    I am expecting a pretty raw talent to have a look at. 16 career starts between Washington and Utah over three years, and a career completion percentage of just under 54%. According to a blog post on a Seahawks fan board, he transferred to JuCo Santa Monica after his start with Washington, and after a year there, signed with Utah. He apparently lost his starting job with Utah in his last season to Tyler Huntley, after the team changed OC's in the off-season.

Looks to have a strong arm and good athleticism on the highlight reel, and did enough to apparently attract a UDFA look from the Seahawks.

Feels like the upside is as a developmental project or a short yardage guy at this point.

With the salary savings from O'Brien, and those from SirV's contract being 6-gamed (likely twice), it could bring into play a Kevin Glenn type scenario. This would depend on their confidence in Kilgore (understanding that the coaches know if he's making the right reads, etc), as well as what they deem important from the backup QBs to support Harris as the starter.

A little surprised by Dupuis being released, but it likely solidifies that Tuck has shown to have recovered enough from his Achilles injury at mini-camp last year to resume his ST demon ways, and backup McCarty at FB.

Charland's release is an affirmation for Hutter.

Spooner was a guy I thought might warrant some PR viability, but was further down the depth chart.
    Oh yes your right about him being raw.. he might not get outta camp, but if your looking for a strong athletic dual threat qb as a project then he’s a nice pick up...
    Time to bring a couple of young project guys in and build again.

vCash

Watching the pre season game on the weekend I was focused on the DB’s....

Two guys that caught my attention...

Brian Walker seemed to be all over the field and making plays. Made all his tackles and had a nose for the football. Was very impressed. He has CFL experience and as far as I can see could earn a roster spot.

Josh Johnson also seemed to be all over the field making plays. Played with some swagger and very quick closing speed.

Interested to see how the defensive back field shakes up. With internationals Orange and Hightower presumed to make opening day roster and national at CB Colqohoun and national at S leaves one open spot.

Walker may take over other HB spot over Hunter....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    I could never find any report as to what kept him out last year. This year, the only thing that I saw was a report from Jameson (I think) that said that it looked like he pulled something in camp.

Given all that has been made about his new training regimen and his efforts at improving his flexibility I would guess that his problem would be muscle strains or sprains.

vCash

As I mentioned on the season thread, Williams apparently had some good NFL workouts this spring. Some reports from Seattle's rookie camp had him as the best rookie QB there, while Miami apparently also considered him. If he can learn the game quickly, he might be a good fit for the league. Apparently, he's a pretty good runner, too.

Interesting the three Canadian cuts. I thought they had big hopes for Charland in the safety mix. Dupuis has some experience and Spooner was a guy some were high on too. Must be better in the system or the pipeline.

vCash

vCash

I don't believe it's been reported. Maas is very reluctant to discuss injuries, and most of the media have been trained to not even ask - he'll tell them when he's ready to release information.

I did see the aftermath of the first tweak - which caused him to miss the next day of practice, and that appeared to be a lower back/hip, and it seemed to be more of a pull/strain that anything.

My hope is, that with the work and attention that he's done on flexibility, stretching, etc, that he's going to be able to turn injuries that might have been 6-games into just a few days here and there, if not avoid them altogether. At this point, he has had two (seemingly) minor ones through camp to date, and neither has cost him more than a few days each. I guess that part depends on whether a person is a glass-half-full or glass-half-empty viewpoint.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Seems to be a case of Lumsdenitis... Britle body syndrome!
    Well, gentlemen, by all means, I think we ought to have an introspective moment of silence for poor old Tin-Tin.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    Seems to be a case of Lumsdenitis... Britle body syndrome!
    I honestly think you are bang on with this. He started camp and was a couple days in I think and he was nicked up so he missed time. He's a "starter" so he barely played the first game and hasn't seen the field since. I think he will be a guy who is sought after because he is Canadian and can be a ratio breaker. So he will be WELL paid but as a team you better have depth at his position because he will get hurt every year.

I hope the Esks don't base their starting rotation ratio wise around him playing. Bank on him not being able to play ratio wise, then if he can, bonus.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.