Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Edmonton Eskimos Training Camp

vCash

Re: 2019 Edmonton Eskimos Training Camp

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    I honestly think you are bang on with this. He started camp and was a couple days in I think and he was nicked up so he missed time. He's a "starter" so he barely played the first game and hasn't seen the field since. I think he will be a guy who is sought after because he is Canadian and can be a ratio breaker. So he will be WELL paid but as a team you better have depth at his position because he will get hurt every year.

I hope the Esks don't base their starting rotation ratio wise around him playing. Bank on him not being able to play ratio wise, then if he can, bonus.
    Have you been able to see how Onyeka has looked so far this year? One has to assume he has advanced and if Arjen were to get nicked he would be fine on the wide side but I don't know for sure as I haven't been able to get out to camp this year. I'm also A LOT more confident in our system this year which should help the players in it to succeed. But I have been wrong before and I'll be wrong again so you never know.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Have you been able to see how Onyeka has looked so far this year? One has to assume he has advanced and if Arjen were to get nicked he would be fine on the wide side but I don't know for sure as I haven't been able to get out to camp this year. I'm also A LOT more confident in our system this year which should help the players in it to succeed. But I have been wrong before and I'll be wrong again so you never know.
    Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I thought Lolley's system was going to bring way more pressure but also do a lot more one on one coverage as a result. So guys need to be able to cover. I am sure Onyeka has advanced to some degree. The problem is he's hardly played. To go from primarily special teams to starting corner is a massive jump. Plus similar to Coluqoun, if you are going to start a Canadian at a position, you needed a good back ups.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

you need guys who can cover man if you are designed to bring pressure
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I thought Lolley's system was going to bring way more pressure but also do a lot more one on one coverage as a result. So guys need to be able to cover. I am sure Onyeka has advanced to some degree. The problem is he's hardly played. To go from primarily special teams to starting corner is a massive jump. Plus similar to Coluqoun, if you are going to start a Canadian at a position, you needed a good back ups.
    I was actually referring to Onyeka as Arjens backup. Did you watch the preseason game vs the Bombers? Our DBs were all over the receivers, I thought the one on one coverage was great but I guess we'll see.

vCash

I was actually referring to Onyeka as Arjens backup. Did you watch the preseason game vs the Bombers? Our DBs were all over the receivers, I thought the one on one coverage was great but I guess we'll see.
    Like I have continued to say, if the Esks are counting on Arjen to be a regular starter and are basing their game day ratio on him playing, it's a mistake. He's already been hurt for the majority of camp and considering that these days, they don't do a lot of padded practices and he's played part of a quarter, that's a red flag.

The game wasn't on TV so I didn't watch it. I am not basing how good the DBs cover on preseason. It was the Bombers first game and though I didn't see the depth chart, I am going to guess the Bombers dressed a ton of guys who are either soon to be cut or at best back ups as most teams don't dress a lot of guys who will actually play or if they do, those starters only get a few series.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash
    Blog Entries

^Shame you missed the livestream on the Bombers' site...
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

Like I have continued to say, if the Esks are counting on Arjen to be a regular starter and are basing their game day ratio on him playing, it's a mistake. He's already been hurt for the majority of camp and considering that these days, they don't do a lot of padded practices and he's played part of a quarter, that's a red flag.

The game wasn't on TV so I didn't watch it. I am not basing how good the DBs cover on preseason. It was the Bombers first game and though I didn't see the depth chart, I am going to guess the Bombers dressed a ton of guys who are either soon to be cut or at best back ups as most teams don't dress a lot of guys who will actually play or if they do, those starters only get a few series.
    Like I continue to say, they have Onyeka behind Arjen so they have some depth should he get injured. That coupled with a scheme change is going to help all of these guys out.

As far as the DB's go, you are RIGHT that it is preseason and there are a lot of variables but we don't have anything else to go on as of now so we can either be pessimistic like you or optimistic like most of the rest of the Eskimo fans. I know this isn't an exact science but last year in 2 preseason games we gave up 507 passing yards and 218 YAC yards, this year we gave up 331 passing yards and only 102 YAC yards, a fairly big difference.

You'd guess wrong, the Bombers played most of their starters for at least a quarter and a half and they put up a whopping 3 points against a defense that didn't bring one single projected starter to Winnipeg, and the DB's were in the hip pockets of Bomber receivers all night long.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    You'd guess wrong, the Bombers played most of their starters for at least a quarter and a half and they put up a whopping 3 points against a defense that didn't bring one single projected starter to Winnipeg, and the DB's were in the hip pockets of Bomber receivers all night long.
    Also our oline provided pretty decent protection for LK who was able to move the ball against a pretty good starting front 7 (again it was mostly their starters in the first quarter) and if not for a fumble at the goal line would have scored a TD...again though it was the WBBs starters it was also their first action of the season but still pretty encouraging IMO.
    ôRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    Good for them The Esks did lose 20-3 so I am not celebrating the game that much.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Some people are so negative about the team that we could win 100 - 0 and they'd be mad because it wasn't close enough...
    And there was much rejoicing... yaayyy....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    Some people are so negative about the team that we could win 100 - 0 and they'd be mad because it wasn't close enough...
    It SHOULD have been 107 to 0! EFFING Stafford for dropping a for sure TD.. What a bum

vCash

SectionQ lives on! Never change Q, never change.

He reminds me of that Grandpa Simpson and the Old Man Yells At Cloud picture you always see on websites.

It's pre-season! It'll work itself out. Just have a Snickers or something.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    Don't understand how someone can be a fan of a team and be so negative about them. Without a doubt I operate with green and gold glasses on but that attitude has me excited for every CFL season, if I were the other way around, I'm not sure I would be watching as life is to short to be pissed off all the time.

vCash

Don't understand how someone can be a fan of a team and be so negative about them. Without a doubt I operate with green and gold glasses on but that attitude has me excited for every CFL season, if I were the other way around, I'm not sure I would be watching as life is to short to be pissed off all the time.
    I personally am a "glass half full" kind of guy as well... and if it's half-filled with vodka, it certainly helps me get through the little things
    This team is not perfect. There are some roster needs to be filled - and hopefully some of the new guys surprise, but I'm fairly certain I will be entertained this season.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    I personally am a "glass half full" kind of guy as well... and if it's half-filled with vodka, it certainly helps me get through the little things
    This team is not perfect. There are some roster needs to be filled - and hopefully some of the new guys surprise, but I'm fairly certain I will be entertained this season.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-l6tHeseDY

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

That's why we watch

vCash

vCash

vCash

I am in my 40's and have been an Esks fans since I was a little kid. This isn't participation sports where everyone gets a ribbon no matter what. The Eskimos are a pro sports team. The only thing that matters is winning. Just because I am not all sunshine and rainbows about every single thing the Esks do and don't always have the green and gold blinders on doesn't mean I don't care about and not want my team to succeed.

I don't know how old some of the people that like to bash me are but when I started cheering for the Esks as a kiid, the Esks WERE the flagship team of the league. They beat the hell out of teams most years. The team was an actual legit cup contender every single year because they were good and it wasn't just overly optimistic fans saying they were when in reality they weren't. Playoffs weren't jus something the team had goals of making, playoffs were automatic. The Esks made the playoffs every single year for the majority of my time as a fan. So my expectations of the Eskimos is sky high.
    Last edited by Sectionq; 06-04-2019 at 02:06 PM.

vCash

The Eskimos are a pro sports team. The only thing that matters is winning. .
    So many times I've heard Eskimo players (and fans) past and present describe what the "Eskimo Way" was to them, and this rarely comes up. Strange...
    You might as well switch teams and cheer for the best team every year if that is the "ONLY" thing. If the sixties and the late 2000's taught me anything about my football club, being a true fan is far more than simply expecting a winner. There is a lot to be spoken of with community, and brotherhood, and support, and integrity.
    just my two cents...

vCash
    Blog Entries

I'm not singling anyone out. Just seems like some people are the epitome of bandwagoners. Crap all over the team if they don't win. Crap on them in the off season. Yet when they win, they say "oh I've been a fan since the (60's, 70's 80's etc...) and dust off the jersey for the best team ever". Closer to fifty than forty and even during the Machoka era, the Tillman (patooie!!!) debacle and the Rhodent problem I've still praised more than complained. Not saying I'm a better fan by any means. Just different than some others. I'd love to see the Esks win the cup every year but realize that's not realistic in the day and age of free agents and salary caps. I'm a fan of the Esks first. Then the CFL. (Just not Calgary...no way...no how)
    And there was much rejoicing... yaayyy....

vCash

I am in my 40's and have been an Esks fans since I was a little kid. This isn't participation sports where everyone gets a ribbon no matter what. The Eskimos are a pro sports team. The only thing that matters is winning. Just because I am not all sunshine and rainbows about every single thing the Esks do and don't always have the green and gold blinders on doesn't mean I don't care about and not want my team to succeed.

I don't know how old some of the people that like to bash me are but when I started cheering for the Esks as a kiid, the Esks WERE the flagship team of the league. They beat the hell out of teams most years. The team was an actual legit cup contender every single year because they were good and it wasn't just overly optimistic fans saying they were when in reality they weren't. Playoffs weren't jus something the team had goals of making, playoffs were automatic. The Esks made the playoffs every single year for the majority of my time as a fan. So my expectations of the Eskimos is sky high.
    My story is almost exactly the same as yours as I'm in my 40s as well and have been a fan of the team as long as I can remember. The difference between you and I is that I'm not carrying around bitterness about my team. I can and will admit when I think things are off or when I'm wrong but will ALWAYS go into a season in a positive state of mind, you seem to be exactly opposite of that.

vCash
    Blog Entries

So many times I've heard Eskimo players (and fans) past and present describe what the "Eskimo Way" was to them, and this rarely comes up. Strange...
    You might as well switch teams and cheer for the best team every year if that is the "ONLY" thing. If the sixties and the late 2000's taught me anything about my football club, being a true fan is far more than simply expecting a winner. There is a lot to be spoken of with community, and brotherhood, and support, and integrity.
    just my two cents...
    Reminds me of the '89 Eskimos that went 16 and 2 and everybody being PO'D at Faragelli for having Jeff Braswell on the team. Winning is huge but you're right it isn't everything which is good since you can't win every year.

vCash

just my two cents...
    Harrumph!

Winning isn't enough. It may be one of the very most important things, but because the fans and the community hold the club to high expectations (both on the field and off) due to the legacy left by those that built those standards, it isn't enough on its own.

Len Rhodes may have stated it poorly, and the attempting to deliver the message on the heels of a highly unpopular move that was going to set us back competitively caused even more mis-interpretation of the message, but the core of it is true. The EEFC is expected to be good on the field, good in the Boardroom, good in the community and good in the media.

I am 48 years old, and I grew up doing pee-wee football camps with the dynasty era guys. I didn't know what missing the playoffs felt like until I was in my thirties. I went to elementary school with Larry Highbaugh's daughter and Joe Hollimon's son. I had cookies from Moon's Chocolate Chippery and got my shoes from Sole City Sports. In those days, guys lived and worked in the community year round and many of them stayed after their career because they put down roots. Also in those days, it was acceptable to physically abduct a teammate and drag him down to the bar at the Grand Hotel for mandatory team social functions - the culture of the team and the culture of society changed. Personally, I am as attached as I am to the team because of what they've been off the field even more than what they've been on the field. I remember friends (like Hammer) saying, just wait until you guys start missing the playoffs... and he wasn't wrong.

To me, "Flagship Franchise" and "The Eskimo Way" are not about on-field stuff nearly as much as what is done behind the scenes on the football ops side, and how the organization conducts itself. It was those things that caused teams to try and emulate us - the on-field success was more a product of those things.

The EEFC has changed from the days of Hugh Campbell and Norm Kimball - as much as we've seen generational talents in pro sports in Edmonton, to me, it's guys like Campbell and Sather that were the straws that stirred the drinks in so many ways. One can pick and choose when and where we started off course, and decisions that led us further off course, but the fact of the matter is we are where we are today, and I will likely choose to see the glass half full more often than not. Even with that, I threatened to give up my 27-year season tickets last off-season if they tied the can to Maas and blamed the failure on him - at the time believing (and still do) that retaining Maas gave us the best chance to keep Reilly. We all have our line in the sand sometimes, and I get that some peoples' lines have been crossed too many time to give any benefit of the doubt to the organization or the team, and that is bound to affect their outlook on things.

The world has also changed, as has the operating environment. Salary cap, the rise of the NFL, the growth in media/entertainment options, etc - there are a ton of reasons why there is unlikely to ever be another 5-in-a-row team again.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    there are a ton of reasons why there is unlikely to ever be another 5-in-a-row team again.
    Nor do we want to see one. After the Eskimos won the grey cup in 2015, I sat back in my seat a little and relaxed as we had our turn. Now we are 4 years away from that and I'm starting to get a little closer to the edge as its coming up on our "turn".

vCash

My story is almost exactly the same as yours as I'm in my 40s as well and have been a fan of the team as long as I can remember. The difference between you and I is that I'm not carrying around bitterness about my team. I can and will admit when I think things are off or when I'm wrong but will ALWAYS go into a season in a positive state of mind, you seem to be exactly opposite of that.
    I am not bitter, I just want to see some results. This team over the last few years has been trending downward. That's not me being negative, go look at the record. Look at the moves the organization has made over the last few years. Changes are a part of pro sports but there are some changes that I don't think should have happened but they happened because of the sins of a few people in charge.

Rhodes is gone, that's step 1. So I am hopefully that better things are to come. But I need to see some positives actually happen.

I am not bitter, I just want to see some results. This team over the last few years has been trending downward. That's not me being negative, go look at the record. Look at the moves the organization has made over the last few years. Changes are a part of pro sports but there are some changes that I don't think should have happened but they happened because of the sins of a few people in charge.

Rhodes is gone, that's step 1. So I am hopefully that better things are to come. But I need to see some positives actually happen.
    Hmmm...10 wins, 12 wins, 9 wins, what a horrible downward trend!

vCash
    Blog Entries

I need to see some positives actually happen.
    Here ya go...

+++++++++++++++
    +++++++++++++++
    +++++++++++++++
    +++++++++++++++
    +++++++++++++++
    +++++++++++++++

+++++++++++++++
    +++++++++++++++
    +++++++++++++++

+++++++++++++++
    +++++++++++++++
    +++++++++++++++
    +++++++++++++++
    +++++++++++++++
    +++++++++++++++

+++++++++++++++
    +++++++++++++++
    +++++++++++++++

+++++++++++++++
    +++++++++++++++
    +++++++++++++++
    +++++++++++++++
    +++++++++++++++
    +++++++++++++++

+++++++++++++++
    +++++++++++++++
    +++++++++++++++
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash
    Blog Entries

And again...

+++++++++++++=============
    +++++++++++++=============
    ++++======================
    ++++======================
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++

++++=========++++=========
    ++++=========++++=========
    =============++++=========
    =============++++=========
    =============+++++++++++++
    =============+++++++++++++

Very much looking forward to June 14. Bring on the Als!!!!