Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Edmonton Eskimos Training Camp

vCash

Re: 2019 Edmonton Eskimos Training Camp

Quote Originally Posted by danlaurin View Post
    The only Wide Receiver Jake Smith I could find is a red shirt Freshman At U of T Longhorns. Sorry for no info all
    Not much on him, but it's this guy
    https://www.cortlandreddragons.com/r...spx?rp_id=9311

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by eskfan152 View Post
    Cool, I see this as a good move. I always thought it was shut down because of the screen and the mechanics involved with it.
    I really think they should take the tarps off some of the endzone seats. I suspect a lot of people will want to grab some beer and sit in whatever open seat is closest. Used to do that all the time way back when.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OK14 View Post
    But how much of that animosity do you allow? I remember that TC last year was especially chippy, and we wound up with an undisciplined penalty-fest to start the season.
    Every training camp is chippy, I can't remember one where there hasn't been fights breaking out.

I wouldn't read too much into it.

vCash

I have to shake my head at folks blaming coaches for a fight and implying they condone it.

Today, Colin Kelley went through the equivalent of a bag skate. Working the medicine ball, the heavy bag and the sled, over and over and over... and having other competitors taking every one of his reps. Anyone who figures they have their mind made up and thinks that Maas isn't serious about dealing with discipline better re-think it.

Similarly, the Colquhoun health critics are already seeing the sky falling after a single missed workout. Total knee-jerk reaction without any idea of the severity, the cause, etc. The hope is, all the work that he put in over the off-season will make the injuries that would linger, now just be minor things that he can overcome. Training camp is a grind - guys get nicked up.

vCash

Similarly, the Colquhoun health critics are already seeing the sky falling after a single missed workout. Total knee-jerk reaction without any idea of the severity, the cause, etc

its not a knee jerk reaction. Now course taking Matheson's word as actually good... he hinted on twitter that any little scratch or nick and he'll shelve himself... aka not play thru anything.. combined with the amount he missed last season , imo, doesn't scream "knee jerk" reaction.

vCash

Interesting to see some guys moving around as injuries and maintenance - as well as performance - have started to force some changes.

SirV getting a day off, and Kelly enduring a time-out, saw Travis Bond playing a lot of RT, Draheim with the 1's at LT, and Peterson and Saxelid getting more reps. O'Brien and Kilgore continued to split the reps with the 2's. Glass and Onyeka playing atop the depth chart at CB - Onyeka was apparently deemed to have paid his price for the prior day's scrap - from my view he was 3rd man in to come to defence of Boateng (wouldn't have escalated) and likely caused the dust-up, but didn't throw punches.

Beaulieu also out today, but working hard on the side. Robert Preistner held out too.

Darian Jackson continues to impress me.

Bond's versatility wasn't something I've previously seen - heightened his value today imo. Saw a little more of Spooner behind Ruby today with Bond's transitory move.

Mark Mackie's motor still doesn't stop - pure hustle.

Kenny Stafford having a great camp. Deep balls, swing passes, intermediate - running well and making plays.

Shai Ross starting to be more noticeable day by day. Anthony Parker is not looking particularly fast and may be pushed by the younger NI receivers. May depend on whether we commit to two receiving spots being nationals.

Tyler Batson with his best day so far imo.

Jamar King has gone from a big of a disturber, to a guy that was going through and shaking hands and high-fiving with every OL before and after padded one-on-one drills. Work IS being done on the culture.

A guy that I had forgotten about due to missing last season (Achilles injury at mini-camp last year) is James Tuck. Big boost to special teams if he is fully recovered and an exciting re-addition.

Larry Dean is going to be fun to watch this year - really good day for him today.

2nd padded practice done now. Short practice tomorrow, then some body maintenance work for the guys, walk-through on Saturday and then game Sunday.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    its not a knee jerk reaction. Now course taking Matheson's word as actually good... he hinted on twitter that any little scratch or nick and he'll shelve himself... aka not play thru anything.. combined with the amount he missed last season , imo, doesn't scream "knee jerk" reaction.
    I think it is. I define knee-jerk as a quickly arrived at judgement that doesn't consider, or have, all of the facts.

It's relying on a person - and one that doesn't regularly cover the team - and what they're "hinting" on social media. It's taking a current injury, knowing nothing about the circumstance, severity or cause, and we get a chorus of here we go again.

There is information out there, including from his HC, that Arden was very dedicated about his training, changing his approach to better prepare and working hard to be more durable. I hesitated to even mention that he seemed to be favouring anything from yesterday, knowing the predictable reaction.

vCash

Colquhoun and Colin Kelly back at practice today, albeit, largely a walk-through.

Our depth is going to have to be able to step up this year. There's a reason that rosters are more than 24 guys.

vCash

I think it would be a massive mistake by the Esks to count on Colquhoun to be a full time starter. Football is a physical sport so bumps and bruises happen so you have to expect a player to miss the odd game once in a while but he's played/been available for 14 out of a possible 36 games in the last 2 seasons. If he can play most of the games this year, great but I wouldn't base my game day ration on it.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Injury Update: ���� OL SirVincent Rogers is out indefinitely after sustaining a torn left tricep.
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    Injury Update: ���� OL SirVincent Rogers is out indefinitely after sustaining a torn left tricep.
    Are you kidding me!!! What the hell is with this team and major injuries starting in camp. This is a massive, massive blow. He in my opinion was one of the key additions to the Esks.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

This was the one I was alluding to. Didn't want to put it out there prior to the team announcing it. Horrible luck for SirV and for the Esks. Tommie Draheim is next man up and I could see Bond's versatility that was on display yesterday being that much more valuable through the season.

vCash

Well this is not a good start to the season at all.

Just means someone else better step up in his place.

vCash

Is it just the Esks', or does every team have a string of injuries during week 1 of training camp?

vCash

Oye, that really sucks, was looking forward to seeing SvR beside Bond. Someone is going to be ALL over the GM for not having a backup that is to the same level as SvR.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    I think it would be a massive mistake by the Esks to count on Colquhoun to be a full time starter. Football is a physical sport so bumps and bruises happen so you have to expect a player to miss the odd game once in a while but he's played/been available for 14 out of a possible 36 games in the last 2 seasons. If he can play most of the games this year, great but I wouldn't base my game day ration on it.
    you've mentioned that before.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Prez View Post
    Is it just the Esks', or does every team have a string of injuries during week 1 of training camp?
    I'm sure everybody gets nicked up, but the Esks have a special "ability" to take their injury problems to the next level.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

That’s why they drafted Onyeka.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Not much on him, but it's this guy
    https://www.cortlandreddragons.com/r...spx?rp_id=9311

- - - Updated - - -

I really think they should take the tarps off some of the endzone seats. I suspect a lot of people will want to grab some beer and sit in whatever open seat is closest. Used to do that all the time way back when.
    Don't look to hard, he's already been released

This one hurts big time. Good news is though that it’s early enough that he may be able to make it back for the stretch run.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Don't look to hard, he's already been released

can we bring him back to play left tackle?
    In Rod we trust

vCash

The position makes this is a tough injury to absorb

It’s next man up.. but it’s Trevor’s blind side..

This is rough..

Heal well sir Vincent! Gonna be out for the year imho

- - - Updated - - -

can we bring him back to play left tackle?

We might be able to snag someone on cut down day to bring in and try and help out.. I just don’t see us doing that though..
    Unless it’s a redblack ;(

vCash

Are you kidding me!!! What the hell is with this team and major injuries starting in camp. This is a massive, massive blow. He in my opinion was one of the key additions to the Esks.
    You’re saying this like it’s a fault of the teams. All teams go though injuries and players get banged up in camp. Not much you can do. Next man up.

Feel bad for SirV, but let’s see what kind of depth BS and JM can come up with.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    The position makes this is a tough injury to absorb

It’s next man up.. but it’s Trevor’s blind side..

This is rough..

Heal well sir Vincent! Gonna be out for the year imho
    torn tricep? yeah hopefully it was a clean tear so he can look at 2020
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Section N View Post
    You’re saying this like it’s a fault of the teams. All teams go though injuries and players get banged up in camp. Not much you can do. Next man up.

Feel bad for SirV, but let’s see what kind of depth BS and JM can come up with.
    Honestly.. I’d put some blame on the league.. these 5 padded practices a year are TO few... u can bet he tore his bicep on the first day in pads..
    I agree we should cut down to maybe 15-20 padded practices a year but your taking all the aspects of football away .. eg make it flag or thud as we call it, so when there is major contact and the muscles have to react differently.. your body changes to its environment.. it’s TO little contact now

I’ve never been a fan of no padded practices.. u should have at least 1 a week..

vCash

F**K!!!

Here we go....

torn tricep? yeah hopefully it was a clean tear so he can look at 2020
    You think? I knew a guy who tore a tricep a few years ago and he was only out for about a month or so before he could start rehabbing it. Grey Cup is still six months away, and the fact that the team said "Out Indefinitely" instead of "out for the Season" makes me think they feel there's a chance he could be back.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    You think? I knew a guy who tore a tricep a few years ago and he was only out for about a month or so before he could start rehabbing it. Grey Cup is still six months away, and the fact that the team said "Out Indefinitely" instead of "out for the Season" makes me think they feel there's a chance he could be back.
    depends on the tear I suppose
    In Rod we trust

vCash

I'd love to see a team-by-team list of training camp injuries over the past few years. It seems like we get hammered like no other team, year after year. But that might just be the fact that I'm paying more attention to the Esks.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Honestly.. I’d put some blame on the league.. these 5 padded practices a year are TO few... u can bet he tore his bicep on the first day in pads..
    I agree we should cut down to maybe 15-20 padded practices a year but your taking all the aspects of football away .. eg make it flag or thud as we call it, so when there is major contact and the muscles have to react differently.. your body changes to its environment.. it’s TO little contact now

I’ve never been a fan of no padded practices.. u should have at least 1 a week..
    I tore my bicep playing flag football, so i'm not sure it was the padded practices in this case.