Three plays shown:

(a) Sack of Harris
    (b) 10-yard completion to Ellingson
    (c) BC's punt return

Huh?
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Re: 2019 Edmonton Eskimos Training Camp

Reading this brief thread on the game, I had no idea who won. Had to google it.

An Esk victory, 22 7.

Winning - the big ones, little ones, meaningless ones … always important to win.

Nice start out of the baby gate for the 2019 Esks.

vCash

Based on very limited observation (and a lot of personal bias on my part) I hope that the coaches are giving Bryce Bobo a good, long look. He stood out in special teams drills both times I was at practice last week and had a couple of catches (one of which I'd call "nice") with the 4th stringers yesterday.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    50 seconds of highlights on cfl.ca

Not 1 eskimo td shown

Go figure...
    If you have access to Global Edmonton they show an Esks TD on their highlight reel(Kilgore TD plunge I believe). But their highlights were shorter than 50 seconds.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GREYx14 View Post
    Based on very limited observation (and a lot of personal bias on my part) I hope that the coaches are giving Bryce Bobo a good, long look. He stood out in special teams drills both times I was at practice last week and had a couple of catches (one of which I'd call "nice") with the 4th stringers yesterday.
    Agreed. I thought Bobo showed a very good catch radius, hauling in a pass well behind him. Going to be tough to secure a roster spot with the depth in front of him and Josh Stangby having a good day too (74 yd punt return).

Anthony Parker was a guy that rose a lot for me. Threw some great blocks near the line of scrimmage and I believe he ended up being out leading receiver on the day. I had concerns about his speed going in, but he seemed to be getting open okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtuck09 View Post
    If you have access to Global Edmonton they show an Esks TD on their highlight reel(Kilgore TD plunge I believe). But their highlights were shorter than 50 seconds.
    There were lots of highlights that could have been included (some lowlights too), and most of them would have been on defence and special teams - return game especially.

The Kilgore to Smith corner route for a TD was likely the only offensive play over 30 yards. O'Brien hit Gibson for what I figure was 20 yds over the middle. 3rd quarter was the best offensively for the Esks, and I felt there was a significant upgrade to the running game when Robinson came in for Taylor.

Both Robinson and Standby seemed fairly decisive in hitting the holes and didn't do a lot of dancing, and the results showed. IIRC, Robinson averaged over 20 yds per punt return on around 5-6 returns.

Esks gambled with a deep ball on 3rd and 1 in the first quarter (unsuccessful), perhaps to put it on film, perhaps because they saw something they thought they could do, but I also took it to be a potential dispelling that Harris will be more of a check-down and short-ball thrower.

Definitely a case where they need to work on timing for the passing game, but typically the ball came out fairly quickly. Each of Harris, O'Brien and Kilgore had a few balls they'd want back, but as Harris said in a post-game interview, they had 5-days of practice in a new offence prior to the game.

Offensive line played with some configurations that I hadn't seen in camp so far. Including O'Donnell at RT and Bond at RG (in addition to LG and RT). Saxelid held his own fairly well I thought (RT and RG). I expect that most of the O-Line will travel to Wig, both to continue to develop chemistry, sort out contingencies, and to help keep QBs upright for evaluation.

Defensively, Unamba started with a bang, with an interception ran back inside the 10 on the first play. He absolutely laid down a debut, short as it was, that should have fans excited for what's to come. With no Larry Dean or JSK or AJ Orange in this one, the defence will only get stronger... and they pitched a shutout (albeit against a rookie-laden BC lineup) allowing under 200 yds of offence.

One guy who's game definitely translated better in game than in practice was Vontae Diggs who showed how heavy a hitter he is from the WIL position. On one blitz, he absolutely steam-rolled the RB that picked him up, hardly losing any momentum, and continuing on for the sack.

Glass played well on the corner I thought, with the exception of one play where he got flagged for PI and a facemask on the same play, yielding 30 yds in penalties. Walker also made some plays (and an INT) against the 2's, and Johnson was heavily involved and noticeable in the second half, potentially rising on the depth chart some. I thought Nick Taylor had a very strong game as well, and the SAM position looks to be a strong upgrade this year.

The Lolley defence seemed to come as promised. Historically, it has been considered a bit of bad form for teams to throw a lot of blitzes in pre-season, when the teams are trying to evaluate (blitzes make it tough to look at inexperienced QBs), but either that's changed a bit, or the Esks decided that this is the defence that they're going to be playing and they need to see how personnel performs within it. We were consistently bringing extra rushers and it made the pocket an uncomfortable place for the Lion's QBs.
    Last edited by GreatWhiteNorth; 05-27-2019 at 08:43 AM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jtuck09 View Post
    I’ll have a look.. I have no idea of european laws ..,some news outlets u cannot view outside of North America..

I’ll have to check

Thanks though! Worth a look

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Moon1 View Post
    Reading this brief thread on the game, I had no idea who won. Had to google it.

An Esk victory, 22 7.

Winning - the big ones, little ones, meaningless ones … always important to win.

Nice start out of the baby gate for the 2019 Esks.
    No recap or even any info on the game from last night.. what?

Goto bc there is a recap of something and pre and post game interviews with biscuit.
    Our guys have the weekend off? Lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    Agreed. I thought Bobo showed a very good catch radius, hauling in a pass well behind him. Going to be tough to secure a roster spot with the depth in front of him and Josh Stangby having a good day too (74 yd punt return).

There were lots of highlights that could have been included (some lowlights too), and most of them would have been on defence and special teams - return game especially.

The Kilgore to Smith corner route for a TD was likely the only offensive play over 30 yards. O'Brien hit Gibson for what I figure was 20 yds over the middle. 3rd quarter was the best offensively for the Esks, and I felt there was a significant upgrade to the running game when Robinson came in for Taylor.
    Reading the box score looks like bc did almost nothing on O

vCash

I only listened to the game so my comments are based on what I heard from during the broadcast but it sure didn't sound like the offense did much what so ever. I know they didn't have much in the way of practice time but I would have thought that since the Esks starting offense played for what sound like more and a quarter and they were up against BC's 3rd stringers and guy who will be cut in a week, they could muster more than 50 yards out of Harris. Based on what Dermott said, it's great that Harris gets the ball out fast but if it's for 4 yards, it's kind of useless. They haven't had time to practice so I am hopeful that is the main reason.

In listening to the broadcast, it sure sounded like O'Brien didn't look that great. A ton of talk about how he misses wide open receivers with what should be easy throws.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    I only listened to the game so my comments are based on what I heard from during the broadcast but it sure didn't sound like the offense did much what so ever. I know they didn't have much in the way of practice time but I would have thought that since the Esks starting offense played for what sound like more and a quarter and they were up against BC's 3rd stringers and guy who will be cut in a week, they could muster more than 50 yards out of Harris. Based on what Dermott said, it's great that Harris gets the ball out fast but if it's for 4 yards, it's kind of useless. They haven't had time to practice so I am hopeful that is the main reason.

In listening to the broadcast, it sure sounded like O'Brien didn't look that great. A ton of talk about how he misses wide open receivers with what should be easy throws.
    welcome to the 2019 CFL season Q, its either going to be a good year and we wont hear much from you or crap and you'll be the top poster
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

Anthony Parker was a guy that rose a lot for me. Threw some great blocks near the line of scrimmage and I believe he ended up being out leading receiver on the day. I had concerns about his speed going in, but he seemed to be getting open okay.

Both Robinson and Standby seemed fairly decisive in hitting the holes and didn't do a lot of dancing, and the results showed. IIRC, Robinson averaged over 20 yds per punt return on around 5-6 returns.

Esks gambled with a deep ball on 3rd and 1 in the first quarter (unsuccessful), perhaps to put it on film, perhaps because they saw something they thought they could do, but I also took it to be a potential dispelling that Harris will be more of a check-down and short-ball thrower.

Definitely a case where they need to work on timing for the passing game, but typically the ball came out fairly quickly. Each of Harris, O'Brien and Kilgore had a few balls they'd want back, but as Harris said in a post-game interview, they had 5-days of practice in a new offence prior to the game.

Offensive line played with some configurations that I hadn't seen in camp so far. Including O'Donnell at RT and Bond at RG (in addition to LG and RT). Saxelid held his own fairly well I thought (RT and RG). I expect that most of the O-Line will travel to Wig, both to continue to develop chemistry, sort out contingencies, and to help keep QBs upright for evaluation.

Defensively, Unamba started with a bang, with an interception ran back inside the 10 on the first play. He absolutely laid down a debut, short as it was, that should have fans excited for what's to come. With no Larry Dean or JSK or AJ Orange in this one, the defence will only get stronger... and they pitched a shutout (albeit against a rookie-laden BC lineup) allowing under 200 yds of offence.

One guy who's game definitely translated better in game than in practice was Vontae Diggs who showed how heavy a hitter he is from the WIL position. On one blitz, he absolutely steam-rolled the RB that picked him up, hardly losing any momentum, and continuing on for the sack.

Glass played well on the corner I thought, with the exception of one play where he got flagged for PI and a facemask on the same play, yielding 30 yds in penalties. Walker also made some plays (and an INT) against the 2's, and Johnson was heavily involved and noticeable in the second half, potentially rising on the depth chart some. I thought Nick Taylor had a very strong game as well, and the SAM position looks to be a strong upgrade this year.

The Lolley defence seemed to come as promised. Historically, it has been considered a bit of bad form for teams to throw a lot of blitzes in pre-season, when the teams are trying to evaluate (blitzes make it tough to look at inexperienced QBs), but either that's changed a bit, or the Esks decided that this is the defence that they're going to be playing and they need to see how personnel performs within it. We were consistently bringing extra rushers and it made the pocket an uncomfortable place for the Lion's QBs.
    Thanks for the report GWN, did Jackson get soem playing time and was he getting some push? Sounds like Bazzie played well.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    welcome to the 2019 CFL season Q, its either going to be a good year and we wont hear much from you or crap and you'll be the top poster
    Don't worry. In case you haven't noticed, I had decreased my posting frequency on this site. I was apparently too negative and had the expectation of winning games and making the playoffs when you host the Grey Cup last year. As a result, I didn't automatically accept every move the Esks made as the right move and dared to question them. So for this season, I am going to try to keep my comments to myself.

Hopefully my comments that were basically repeating what I heard all the paid Esks employees say on the radio about the offense not doing a lot and O'Brien not looking very good didn't offend you too much.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

I'll hold off bashing the offense after one pre-season game when they've had limited practice time together. Things will change as the season goes on. Agreed on O'Brien though. He didn't make a case for being the 2nd stringer from what it sounded like.

Listening to the radio broadcast heard a lot of Glass, Walker and Taylor when it came to defense. Glass sounded like he's really making a case for himself to stick around.

Sounds like the return game MAY finally be on the road to better days. Again, pre-season but encouraging nonetheless.

I'll be listening on Friday to see how the Winnipeg game goes. Hopefully Harris plays the whole first half so he can get more comfortable with his guys.

vCash

I am curious to know from someone that went to the game. Did the receiver they drafted from Mexico get any snaps? I think I heard him catch 1 punt. I am just curious to know what the intent for these world players is. Is a team supposed to keep them in an effort to try to develop them even if they can't play really play? I am just wondering what the level of football in Mexico would be. Are they on par with the CIS? Better than the CIS, or worse?
    Last edited by Sectionq; 05-27-2019 at 10:12 AM.

vCash

Don't worry. In case you haven't noticed, I had decreased my posting frequency on this site. I was apparently too negative and had the expectation of winning games and making the playoffs when you host the Grey Cup last year. As a result, I didn't automatically accept every move the Esks made as the right move and dared to question them. So for this season, I am going to try to keep my comments to myself.

Hopefully my comments that were basically repeating what I heard all the paid Esks employees say on the radio about the offense not doing a lot and O'Brien not looking very good didn't offend you too much.
    Actually your comments weren't off at all, I was disappointed we didn't move the ball more as well. The reason I give you a hard time is that it seems like the only time you post is when something bad happens and disappear when things go well (AKA the off season moves we made this year) and if you think I'm offended, you clearly don't know me at all.

I am curious to know from someone that went to the game. Did the receiver they drafted from Mexico get any snaps? I think I heard him catch 1 punt. I am just curious to know what the intent for these world players is. Is a team supposed to keep them in an effort to try to develop them even if they can't play really play? I am just wondering what the level of football in Mexico would be. Are they on par with the CIS? Better than the CIS, or worse?
    Its my impression that we are allowed to have a 45th player on our roster this year but it has to be a global player. What I don't know is if you HAVE to have that player in the lineup. If you are required we would need some depth on the PR. There are a few question marks for this one for sure

vCash

I don’t know who dermott is but I have absolute zero faith in their football knowledge and knowledge of offences in general... what a silly ignorant thing to say

vCash
    Blog Entries

I don’t know who dermott is but I have absolute zero faith in their football knowledge and knowledge of offences in general... what a silly ignorant thing to say
    Pretty sure this is Blake Dermott, a former Centre and OT who played with the Esks from 1983 to 1996. He does some half-time spot analysis for 630 CHED's football broadcasts; if we had our druthers, he'd be the new color man in the broadcast booth.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash
    Blog Entries

Actually your comments weren't off at all, I was disappointed we didn't move the ball more as well. The reason I give you a hard time is that it seems like the only time you post is when something bad happens and disappear when things go well (AKA the off season moves we made this year) and if you think I'm offended, you clearly don't know me at all.

Its my impression that we are allowed to have a 45th player on our roster this year but it has to be a global player. What I don't know is if you HAVE to have that player in the lineup. If you are required we would need some depth on the PR. There are a few question marks for this one for sure

Global players on the PR don't count against the salary cap but they do take up PR spots so there's that to consider. For me it would only be worth it if one of the global players you have could at least contribute positively on STs. Not sure i saw that from the Esks guys (the reciever out of Mexico was targeted once and lost yards on his punt return although he did field the ball cleanly) yesterday but it was the first pre season game after 5 days of camp so it's probably still to early to evaluate. Theoretically you could just keep the one player and if he gets hurt try and bring back one of the other global players you cut or found somewhere else. Don't really need to keep an injury replacement at the ready on the practice roster.
    “RUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Blake Dermott? He spent 13 yrs as an Eskimo on the Oline. You don't think a former pro football player has good football knowledge?

vCash

Blake Dermott? He spent 13 yrs as an Eskimo on the Oline. You don't think a former pro football player has good football knowledge?
    If that was his direct comment then I think he needs a rethink

If it’s a misquote then who knows...

If it was all about arm strength Micheal bishop would have 5 grey cup rings.. that dude could launch it

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by OK14 View Post
    Pretty sure this is Blake Dermott, a former Centre and OT who played with the Esks from 1983 to 1996. He does some half-time spot analysis for 630 CHED's football broadcasts; if we had our druthers, he'd be the new color man in the broadcast booth.

Yes I remember Blake .. I assumed dermott was the guys first name.. either way still an obscure quote from someone who has played so long.. that said if pro game is anything like our game.. oline only are only concerned on if it’s a run or pass and protection called.. lol

I’m not sure whether it was Blake who said the term useless or just taken out of context but a) don’t compare qbs arm strengths.. b) as an airraid Qb we will take the easy pitch and catch all day.. let the wrs make that YAC
    List goes on..

Are we saying harris is as strong armed as reilly.. no..
    He doesn’t need to be..

Anyone with a sound offensive scheme knows u manipulate your offence every year to fit your personnel..

U could argue we lived and died by the deep ball TO MUCH last year..

I actually don’t really know arris’ true arm strength but obv it’s not as strong as mikes is

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

https://www.esks.com/2010/04/13/blake-dermott/
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

I listened to Dermott's comments. Love his insight on the radio program for halftime and post game shows. Passionate and knowledgeable.
    The book on Harris is that he will put up high passing accuracy, but doesn't stretch the field as much with deep balls. Derek Taylor had an interesting comparison of him and Reilly statistically in the off season showing this.
    To be fair to Harris, which Dermott didn't acknowledge, is that the play calling was probably quite vanilla in pre season. So hopefully the lower avg yardage per pass picks up with a more dynamic game plan.

vCash

yeah it sounds like their timing is right off on offence and frankly if we ever need O'Brien for an extended length of time I think we could be in trouble. Preseason is so hard to judge but if a guy is having problems making simple throws.....
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    yeah it sounds like their timing is right off on offence and frankly if we ever need O'Brien for an extended length of time I think we could be in trouble. Preseason is so hard to judge but if a guy is having problems making simple throws.....
    Backup QB is a concern of mine as well. I hope Briscoe gets more snaps on Friday, would like to see what he has.

vCash

Thanks dude.. i knew who Blake was just didn’t put dermott and our former player together

I assumed dermott was the first name of a radio host etc, Knew there was no tv..

I’m actually surprised an oline guy is getting on media.. they usually go for skill guys! Fair play to him

- - - Updated - - -

Backup QB is a concern of mine as well. I hope Briscoe gets more snaps on Friday, would like to see what he has.

U would imagine harris won’t play Friday..

So Kilgore and O’Brien’s time will be extended

vCash

The back up QB position is a big time concern for me because I think the Esks might actually need one this year. At 6'3, 230, Rielly was bigger than pretty most every teams entire defense other than the guys on the Dline. So he could absorb way, way more punishment. Plus I don't think I have seen a tougher QB ever. Hopefully that was a one off but I did not like seeing a dlineman come up the middle untouched and absolutely hammer Harris like what happened last game. TSN showed a highlight this morning and it was a BIG hit.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by popo View Post
    I listened to Dermott's comments. Love his insight on the radio program for halftime and post game shows. Passionate and knowledgeable.
    The book on Harris is that he will put up high passing accuracy, but doesn't stretch the field as much with deep balls. Derek Taylor had an interesting comparison of him and Reilly statistically in the off season showing this.
    To be fair to Harris, which Dermott didn't acknowledge, is that the play calling was probably quite vanilla in pre season. So hopefully the lower avg yardage per pass picks up with a more dynamic game plan.
    I think we’re gonna throw more shorter passes this year anyway.. I don’t see harris having that vertical arm as mike, but there is plenty ways to skin a cat..

vCash

The back up QB position is a big time concern for me because I think the Esks might actually need one this year. At 6'3, 230, Rielly was bigger than pretty most every teams entire defense other than the guys on the Dline. So he could absorb way, way more punishment. Plus I don't think I have seen a tougher QB ever. Hopefully that was a one off but I did not like seeing a dlineman come up the middle untouched and absolutely hammer Harris like what happened last game. TSN showed a highlight this morning and it was a BIG hit.
    We agree on this one although TSN said it was a huge hit, I've seen a heck of a lot worse than that. One thing we are going to have to get used to is that Harris doesn't have Reilly's running/ escapability nor does he have the cannon Mike has but there isn't anyone in the league that does. One thing that Harris is better at than Reilly is his accuracy, now its up to the coaching staff to work with Trevors skills and not try to force him to attempt Reilly type plays.

vCash

From what I've seen in camp so far, Briscoe is behind O'Brien and Kilgore - understandable with their experience at this level. I though he acquitted himself alright in the game.

O'Brien finished 10-16 yesterday, but a few of those completions were not where they should have been - one causing a receiver to lose momentum in what would have otherwise likely been a 5 yd TD, and the other being a remarkable catch by Bobo. A few of his incompletions were throw-aways when the pressure came. He looked much better in the 3rd Q than the first half.

Kilgore threw a very nice corner route TD to Smith that hit him in stride, but ended with 3 completions on 6 attempts, had a pick and fumbled a short-yardage snap on the 1 (converted on 2nd down). If you go by his best play, he had the better game. If you go by his body of work, I don't believe there was a solid edge.

Both O'Brien and Kilgore likely make the roster as 2/3, with Briscoe stashed for a year of development. The ordering May be fluid between the two, and I think if Harris gets injured longer-term, we likely go out and find someone to bring in with the salary cap savings. Always worth noting, while they were going against an inexperienced defence, they were playing behind different OL configurations and with back-up receivers and RBs that are still learning the offence and the timing too. 5 days of practice together.

I get the hand-wringing about the QB depth, but it is the same boat as most teams are in... either depth but no top-tier starter, or a starter with not much depth.

vCash

From what I've seen in camp so far, Briscoe is behind O'Brien and Kilgore - understandable with their experience at this level. I though he acquitted himself alright in the game.

O'Brien finished 10-16 yesterday, but a few of those completions were not where they should have been - one causing a receiver to lose momentum in what would have otherwise likely been a 5 yd TD, and the other being a remarkable catch by Bobo. A few of his incompletions were throw-aways when the pressure came. He looked much better in the 3rd Q than the first half.

Kilgore threw a very nice corner route TD to Smith that hit him in stride, but ended with 3 completions on 6 attempts, had a pick and fumbled a short-yardage snap on the 1 (converted on 2nd down). If you go by his best play, he had the better game. If you go by his body of work, I don't believe there was a solid edge.

Both O'Brien and Kilgore likely make the roster as 2/3, with Briscoe stashed for a year of development. The ordering May be fluid between the two, and I think if Harris gets injured longer-term, we likely go out and find someone to bring in with the salary cap savings. Always worth noting, while they were going against an inexperienced defence, they were playing behind different OL configurations and with back-up receivers and RBs that are still learning the offence and the timing too. 5 days of practice together.

I get the hand-wringing about the QB depth, but it is the same boat as most teams are in... either depth but no top-tier starter, or a starter with not much depth.
    Yep I agree. You can either spend money on a backup that may never play (ala Glenn last year) or roll the dice a bit and hopefully develop someone that can get the job done in a pinch. the fact that free agency came and went and there are still a few teams out there without even a legit starter, tells me there aren't that many teams with high quality backups.