Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Edmonton Eskimos Training Camp

vCash
    Blog Entries

Re: 2019 Edmonton Eskimos Training Camp

Well if something happens to Mike...BC is screwed for sure. They're back ups looked absolutely lost yesterday. It was great seeing a defence not run by Bene though. I wasn't swearing nearly as much as I did the last few seasons.
    And there was much rejoicing... yaayyy....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    We agree on this one although TSN said it was a huge hit, I've seen a heck of a lot worse than that. One thing we are going to have to get used to is that Harris doesn't have Reilly's running/ escapability nor does he have the cannon Mike has but there isn't anyone in the league that does. One thing that Harris is better at than Reilly is his accuracy, now its up to the coaching staff to work with Trevors skills and not try to force him to attempt Reilly type plays.
    I expect a great year from Gable with this in mind. Reilly ran a lot the past couple of years, I suspect Gable is getting those reps from now on.
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    I expect a great year from Gable with this in mind. Reilly ran a lot the past couple of years, I suspect Gable is getting those reps from now on.
    Solid point!

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    The back up QB position is a big time concern for me because I think the Esks might actually need one this year. At 6'3, 230, Rielly was bigger than pretty most every teams entire defense other than the guys on the Dline. So he could absorb way, way more punishment. Plus I don't think I have seen a tougher QB ever. Hopefully that was a one off but I did not like seeing a dlineman come up the middle untouched and absolutely hammer Harris like what happened last game. TSN showed a highlight this morning and it was a BIG hit.
    Ricky Ray was pretty tough early on as well and was on par IMO. He didn't have the running ability so he didn't take hits in the open field as much but for a few years he was taking hit after hit in the backfield and just kept getting up hence the nickname Gumby. When RR retired Claybrooks commented on it and mentioned how demoralizing it was to see him get up and back in the huddle time and time again no matter how hard he hit him.
    ďRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Yep I agree. You can either spend money on a backup that may never play (ala Glenn last year) or roll the dice a bit and hopefully develop someone that can get the job done in a pinch. the fact that free agency came and went and there are still a few teams out there without even a legit starter, tells me there aren't that many teams with high quality backups.
    Something drastic happens we can prob call Glenn.. he will know the system and verbiage.. but I donít think we will need him ( fingers crossed )

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    Well if something happens to Mike...BC is screwed for sure. They're back ups looked absolutely lost yesterday. It was great seeing a defence not run by Bene though. I wasn't swearing nearly as much as I did the last few seasons.
    Spot on...
    again same as us.. it’s 6 days in a system far to soon to play a game.. but u gotta do what u gotta do..

vCash
    Blog Entries

Yep I agree. You can either spend money on a backup that may never play (ala Glenn last year) or roll the dice a bit and hopefully develop someone that can get the job done in a pinch. the fact that free agency came and went and there are still a few teams out there without even a legit starter, tells me there aren't that many teams with high quality backups.
    Don't think Glenn got signed by anyone or retired...maybe he stays in shape and waits by the phone waiting for the first serious injury to strike amongst the QB corp somewhere in the league.
    ďRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash
    Blog Entries

Pie-in-the-sky solution here...but if James Franklin loses his starting role to MacLeod Bethel-Thompson on the Argos, I wonder if he could be brought back for cheap as "damaged goods".

Mind you, it remains to be seen how he'll do with Trestman out of the picture.
    "Here comes the rush...Ray looking endzone, Fred. Stamps. TOUCHDOWN!" - Fred Stamps' TD with 8 seconds left against the Stampeders in 2009

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    Don't think Glenn got signed by anyone or retired...maybe he stays in shape and waits by the phone waiting for the first serious injury to strike amongst the QB corp somewhere in the league.
    There is the potential for another mini-free-agent period as cut-downs happen. Many guys out there still that could help teams and were either waiting on the CBA before signing (Martese Jackson) or didn't get in on the initial spending and teams filled up the rest of the roster spots to look at new guys. Glenn is likely one of those. While they are lower ceiling, there are also possibilities such as Darian Durant​ and Drew Willy out there that have been able to start in this league previously (depending on how little faith or has in what they're developing).

To date, very few AAF guys have been signed, yet there was a fair bit of talk that they had tied up a bunch of guys that would have otherwise been on CFL neg lists.

Quote Originally Posted by OK14 View Post
    Pie-in-the-sky solution here...but if James Franklin loses his starting role to MacLeod Bethel-Thompson on the Argos, I wonder if he could be brought back for cheap as "damaged goods".

Mind you, it remains to be seen how he'll do with Trestman out of the picture.
    I think it's a non-starter. Frank has already been named the starter by Chamblin, and even if something happened where he got bumped to #2, why would the Argos trade him, only to leave themselves thin in depth - it would have to be a significant return in trade. Further, few teams could likely easily afford his contract if he was traded and that comes with him.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    Agreed. I thought Bobo showed a very good catch radius, hauling in a pass well behind him. Going to be tough to secure a roster spot with the depth in front of him and Josh Stangby having a good day too (74 yd punt return).

Anthony Parker was a guy that rose a lot for me. Threw some great blocks near the line of scrimmage and I believe he ended up being out leading receiver on the day. I had concerns about his speed going in, but he seemed to be getting open okay.

There were lots of highlights that could have been included (some lowlights too), and most of them would have been on defence and special teams - return game especially.

The Kilgore to Smith corner route for a TD was likely the only offensive play over 30 yards. O'Brien hit Gibson for what I figure was 20 yds over the middle. 3rd quarter was the best offensively for the Esks, and I felt there was a significant upgrade to the running game when Robinson came in for Taylor.

Both Robinson and Standby seemed fairly decisive in hitting the holes and didn't do a lot of dancing, and the results showed. IIRC, Robinson averaged over 20 yds per punt return on around 5-6 returns.

Esks gambled with a deep ball on 3rd and 1 in the first quarter (unsuccessful), perhaps to put it on film, perhaps because they saw something they thought they could do, but I also took it to be a potential dispelling that Harris will be more of a check-down and short-ball thrower.

Definitely a case where they need to work on timing for the passing game, but typically the ball came out fairly quickly. Each of Harris, O'Brien and Kilgore had a few balls they'd want back, but as Harris said in a post-game interview, they had 5-days of practice in a new offence prior to the game.

Offensive line played with some configurations that I hadn't seen in camp so far. Including O'Donnell at RT and Bond at RG (in addition to LG and RT). Saxelid held his own fairly well I thought (RT and RG). I expect that most of the O-Line will travel to Wig, both to continue to develop chemistry, sort out contingencies, and to help keep QBs upright for evaluation.

Defensively, Unamba started with a bang, with an interception ran back inside the 10 on the first play. He absolutely laid down a debut, short as it was, that should have fans excited for what's to come. With no Larry Dean or JSK or AJ Orange in this one, the defence will only get stronger... and they pitched a shutout (albeit against a rookie-laden BC lineup) allowing under 200 yds of offence.

One guy who's game definitely translated better in game than in practice was Vontae Diggs who showed how heavy a hitter he is from the WIL position. On one blitz, he absolutely steam-rolled the RB that picked him up, hardly losing any momentum, and continuing on for the sack.

Glass played well on the corner I thought, with the exception of one play where he got flagged for PI and a facemask on the same play, yielding 30 yds in penalties. Walker also made some plays (and an INT) against the 2's, and Johnson was heavily involved and noticeable in the second half, potentially rising on the depth chart some. I thought Nick Taylor had a very strong game as well, and the SAM position looks to be a strong upgrade this year.

The Lolley defence seemed to come as promised. Historically, it has been considered a bit of bad form for teams to throw a lot of blitzes in pre-season, when the teams are trying to evaluate (blitzes make it tough to look at inexperienced QBs), but either that's changed a bit, or the Esks decided that this is the defence that they're going to be playing and they need to see how personnel performs within it. We were consistently bringing extra rushers and it made the pocket an uncomfortable place for the Lion's QBs.
    I remember some Rider fans being all up in arms after our 2015 pre-season game when CJ threw a whole bunch of blitzes in against them, there were accusations of classlessness and poor sportsmanship, and even people mocking him for trying too hard to win an exhibition game. Those comments seemed to disappear when CJ was doing the same thing in a different shade of green during the subsequent pre-seasons, funny how that happens

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ben_the_eskimo View Post
    I remember some Rider fans being all up in arms after our 2015 pre-season game when CJ threw a whole bunch of blitzes in against them, there were accusations of classlessness and poor sportsmanship, and even people mocking him for trying too hard to win an exhibition game. Those comments seemed to disappear when CJ was doing the same thing in a different shade of green during the subsequent pre-seasons, funny how that happens
    I remember that but there are two teams on the field that need to evaluate how their players work in the system and if you cannot send your linebackers/ DB's how are you going to evaluate if they can get to the QB?
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

DJ Calhoun with the big hit

vCash

I think it's a non-starter. Frank has already been named the starter by Chamblin, and even if something happened where he got bumped to #2, why would the Argos trade him, only to leave themselves thin in depth - it would have to be a significant return in trade. Further, few teams could likely easily afford his contract if he was traded and that comes with him.
    I could see the Argos moving Bethel Thompson early in the season if another club runs into QB woes and is offering up quality return in the trade. I think that will largely depend on how Brandon Bridge and Michael O'Conner look in preseason I guess. Bridge has been very Jeckyll/Hyde in his career so far. Wonder if a Chapdelaine coached offense will help him or hurt him??? Argos are definitely deep at RB with James Wilder Jr., Chris Rainey, Tyrell Sutton, Mercer Timmis and Brandon Burks. Establishing the running game for them could open up the passing lanes for Coombs, Edwards, Derel Walker & SJ Green and provide a lot of comfort for their QB's. Not sure where their O-line is at though.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Hold the camera landscape next time.
    If we were put on this earth to help others, what were the others put on earth for?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
    Hold the camera landscape next time.
    always been a pet peeve of mine

vCash

Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

You get what you get with Harris. Heís a very accurate passer but his yards per attempt is consistently lower then guys like Reilly and Mitchell.

He will look to get the ball out quickly to check down guys and is far less likely to stand in there to extend the play.

Not saying there is anything wrong with that , but it will be a much different offence then the last few years I would expect.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by T-BONE View Post
    You get what you get with Harris. Heís a very accurate passer but his yards per attempt is consistently lower then guys like Reilly and Mitchell.

He will look to get the ball out quickly to check down guys and is far less likely to stand in there to extend the play.

Not saying there is anything wrong with that , but it will be a much different offence then the last few years I would expect.

Not sure I agree with this statement:

2015:

Bo Weevil: 4551 yards. TD/INT 26/13 Average 8.2
    Reilly: only played 10 games but his average was 7.4
    Harris: 4354 yards TD/INT 33/19 Average 8.1

leading passer: Burris.

2016:

Reilly: 5554 yards TD/INT 28/12 Average yards 8.8
    BoWeevil: 5385 yards TD/INT 32/8 Average 8.9
    Harris: ( 12 games) TD/INT 16/4 Average 10.0

Leading Passer: Reilly

Reilly: 5830 TD INT 30/13 Average 8.9
    Bo Weevil: 4700 TD INT 23/11 Average 8.6
    Harris: 4679 ( 15 games ) TD INT 30/11 Average 8.2

Leading passer Reilly

2018:

Reilly 5562 yards TD INT 30/18 Average 9.0
    Bo Weevil 5124 TD INT 35/14 Average 8.8
    Harris 5116 yards TD INT 22/11 Average 8.3

Leading passer: Reilly again.

What does the leading passers for each season have in common ? Jason Maas systems.

So no. He doesn't have consistently lower yards per attempt. Hes right on par with those two. I think the big issue is our receiving core... he has a killer group in ottawa... we just lost Zylstra, duke, walker and mitchell. IF we had three of those , I have no doubt hed be killing the league. I'm not sure about this group...yet. gunna be interesting.

What he does is get rid of the ball quicker than Reilly does

vCash

There's a bit of a temptation in the media to define a guy and create a narrative. Have already seen Edm media suggesting it will be more of a check-down offence.

Statistically, the average completion yardage is pretty close. I am interested to see how much Maas' offence will adjust to Harris and how much Harris will adjust to Maas. There may also be adjustments given the personnel he's throwing to - currently seeming like we don't have a big 50/50 ball target like Duke to show the deep balls and just hope he comes down with it.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    Not sure I agree with this statement:

2015:

Bo Weevil: 4551 yards. TD/INT 26/13 Average 8.2
    Reilly: only played 10 games but his average was 7.4
    Harris: 4354 yards TD/INT 33/19 Average 8.1

leading passer: Burris.

2016:

Reilly: 5554 yards TD/INT 28/12 Average yards 8.8
    BoWeevil: 5385 yards TD/INT 32/8 Average 8.9
    Harris: ( 12 games) TD/INT 16/4 Average 10.0

Leading Passer: Reilly

Reilly: 5830 TD INT 30/13 Average 8.9
    Bo Weevil: 4700 TD INT 23/11 Average 8.6
    Harris: 4679 ( 15 games ) TD INT 30/11 Average 8.2

Leading passer Reilly

2018:

Reilly 5562 yards TD INT 30/18 Average 9.0
    Bo Weevil 5124 TD INT 35/14 Average 8.8
    Harris 5116 yards TD INT 22/11 Average 8.3

Leading passer: Reilly again.

What does the leading passers for each season have in common ? Jason Maas systems.

So no. He doesn't have consistently lower yards per attempt. Hes right on par with those two. I think the big issue is our receiving core... he has a killer group in ottawa... we just lost Zylstra, duke, walker and mitchell. IF we had three of those , I have no doubt hed be killing the league. I'm not sure about this group...yet. gunna be interesting.

What he does is get rid of the ball quicker than Reilly does
    Great post

Trust the system...

- - - Updated - - -

There's a bit of a temptation in the media to define a guy and create a narrative. Have already seen Edm media suggesting it will be more of a check-down offence.

Statistically, the average completion yardage is pretty close. I am interested to see how much Maas' offence will adjust to Harris and how much Harris will adjust to Maas. There may also be adjustments given the personnel he's throwing to - currently seeming like we don't have a big 50/50 ball target like Duke to show the deep balls and just hope he comes down with it.
    Harris can make every throw needed.. I agree with you, and were gonna be more than fine

Still having Harris down as leading passer this year.... My opinion won't change

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Thanks dude.. i knew who Blake was just didnít put dermott and our former player together

I assumed dermott was the first name of a radio host etc, Knew there was no tv..

Iím actually surprised an oline guy is getting on media.. they usually go for the skill guys!
    Like Chris Walby, right? Dermott used to do colour alongside Bob Stauffer back when the U of A Golden Bears games were on the radio. He was very good but I think work & coaching time commitments kept him from pursuing the Esks' radio colour job. I don't really know Blake but we did attend Bonnie Doon High School and the U of A at the same time. Let's just say the guy's always had the gift of the gab and has never been hesitant to give an opinion.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GREYx14 View Post
    Like Chris Walby, right? Dermott used to do colour alongside Bob Stauffer back when the U of A Golden Bears games were on the radio. He was very good but I think work & coaching time commitments kept him from pursuing the Esks' radio colour job. I don't really know Blake but we did attend Bonnie Doon High School and the U of A at the same time. Let's just say the guy's always had the gift of the gab and has never been hesitant to give an opinion.
    I was never that big a fan of Chris walby back in the cbc days... I loved his voice but u can see why a lot of networks now reach out to former qbs and stuff...

But yea walby is def an anomaly !

vCash

igned the following players:

• International offensive lineman Tyler Howell
    • International running back Blake Ingleton
    • International defensive lineman David Perkins
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post

I think Howell has been here before

vCash

I think Howell has been here before
    the name sounds familiar but I smoke a lot of weed so it all tends to be a blur
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Howell is another big boy for the O-line 6'8" and 330 lbs. He went undrafted but did spend some time with the NY Giants early last year.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Howell is another big boy for the O-line 6'8" and 330 lbs. He went undrafted but did spend some time with the NY Giants early last year.
    Let's line him up at tight end and do a reverse with him....tell him there's a sack of burgers in the end zone if he can get there with the ball.
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post

Makes sense to bring back more competition at Tackle, with Rogers down.
    We probably needed to clear 3 roster spots to make room? Likely Rogers to IR, Jake Smith released, and either they had a third spot available or something to be announced.

vCash

vCash

I believe Harris can throw the deep ball down the field as well as Reilly can, but to be honest, I wouldn't mind more of a check-down type of offence here. I felt like a lot of times in the last year or two, Reilly would simply get fixated on the deep ball and not roll through different progressions. Maybe, as you said, they were relying on receivers' athleticism on 50/50 balls. If anything, to me, as powerful as the Esks offence was, it got to be a bit one dimensional at times. When it had the most success, they were using Gable well and mixing in the shorter routes.

vCash