Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: 2019 Edmonton Eskimos Training Camp

vCash

Re: 2019 Edmonton Eskimos Training Camp

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    They had the depth to go with 4 NAT OL the way it was looking at the start of camp but it's been looking like there's now a shift in how they want to deploy the starters. With the change of alignment as it's shaping up the mix of reserves for depth was out of whack.

At the start of camp it was looking like Figueroa at LT, Steward at LG, Pierson or Godber at C, Chungh at RG and one of Foucault, Knevel or Boyko at RT. I really can't speak to how they felt Godber was doing in his rehab process at that time; whether they thought he'd be ready towards the end of camp or if it was longer term. Regardless under that configuration they would have had the two losers of the battle for RT to back up the tackle and guard spots and Harke to back up Pierson. They also have Phil Norman a reserve INT guard on the PR. For the second half of camp they started experimenting with Steward at center. Initially I thought it was to get reps to be the emergency fill-in should Pierson get hurt mid-game. Now it's looking like he will start the season at center with either Boyko or Foucault moving to LG while the other plays RT. Apparently Steward did take on the responsibility of calling blocking assignments at the line last year after Husband went down so it may be less of a learning curve than I first thought. With that in mind the mix of reserves was now out of balance as it would leave Knevel to back up the guards and tackle spots with Pierson and possibly Harke to back up center. Harke is definitely a center only type. Pierson might be able to work at guard in a pinch but I think he mostly played center in college and of course in BC. In acquiring Roy they change the reserve mix by adding a guard/tackle type giving a better balance. It may also make Harke expendable. He seems built to only play center meaning he doesn't offer much value beyond that and with Steward moving to center Pierson gives them all the depth they need for now.
    thanks for the info, always appreciate opposing fans perspective
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    thanks for the info, always appreciate opposing fans perspective
    All subject to change of course.

Prior to the pilfering the Esks were showing 4 INTs and 4 NAT on their 46 with only Roy on the PR. Are any of the Eskimo OL battling any injuries that might see them go to the IL for week 1? At the same BC had 2 INT and 7 NATs on the 46 with 1 INT and 1 NAT on the PR. I expect 1 each of the INT and NAT on the BC 46 to go to the IL when the roster gets turned in dropping them to 1 INT and 6 NATs. Roy bumps that up to 7 healthy NATs on the 46. As for why Roy I guess Hervey still being Eskimo GM until 30 days before Roy was drafted gives him insights into what the Esk scouts were thinking when they took him. Can't remember if that would've had him still in charge when they went through the combine and interview process.

On a side note I just noticed on the CFL's and BC's websites that the old designation of "I" for International has now changed to "A" for American.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer24 View Post
    All subject to change of course.

Prior to the pilfering the Esks were showing 4 INTs and 4 NAT on their 46 with only Roy on the PR. Are any of the Eskimo OL battling any injuries that might see them go to the IL for week 1? At the same BC had 2 INT and 7 NATs on the 46 with 1 INT and 1 NAT on the PR. I expect 1 each of the INT and NAT on the BC 46 to go to the IL when the roster gets turned in dropping them to 1 INT and 6 NATs. Roy bumps that up to 7 healthy NATs on the 46. As for why Roy I guess Hervey still being Eskimo GM until 30 days before Roy was drafted gives him insights into what the Esk scouts were thinking when they took him. Can't remember if that would've had him still in charge when they went through the combine and interview process.

On a side note I just noticed on the CFL's and BC's websites that the old designation of "I" for International has now changed to "A" for American.
    I believe that renaming the DI to a DA is a tribute to Eskimo Legend Damon Allen. (the king of the timecount violation according to our departed friend Ritch)

Beard was hurt at times during camp, but I don't see any of the Esks NI OL as likely candidates to go to the injured list with anything that would keep them out of a playoff game. I do think it's obvious that SirV will head to the 6-game list, leaving 7 OL on the game-day roster. The only mystery likely being whether Bond is a DA or a starter.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    I believe that renaming the DI to a DA is a tribute to Eskimo Legend Damon Allen. (the king of the timecount violation according to our departed friend Ritch)

Beard was hurt at times during camp, but I don't see any of the Esks NI OL as likely candidates to go to the injured list with anything that would keep them out of a playoff game. I do think it's obvious that SirV will head to the 6-game list, leaving 7 OL on the game-day roster. The only mystery likely being whether Bond is a DA or a starter.
    Yikes. I'd forgotten about SirV. That's a big hole. I can see some unhappiness to losing Roy. 7 healthy OL pn the roster leaves no room for injury or ineffectiveness. No doubt Brock will have 1 or 2 guys in momentarily if not already on a plane or in town.

Yes Ritch. Penalty BC #9 Time Count Viloation. His favourite say after Bombay please, double.

vCash

Anyone see Daniels practicing? Asking for a friend who plays fantasy.....
    R.I.P. Coach Harris

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Macavity View Post
    Anyone see Daniels practicing? Asking for a friend who plays fantasy.....
    My understanding is Davaris has been a "partial" participant at practice this week. I have him in my fantasy picks this week, but I am patiently waiting on the depth chart to go up prior to today's game. If he's listed as a starter, I will probably stick with him. That's all I know. Good luck with the picks.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GREYx14 View Post
    For several seasons (and for legitimate football reasons to be sure) we had a prominent poster here who was such a fanboy of RB John White that he only referred to him by his pet name: "Juan Blanco".

Since I first saw his college hype video last winter, I told myself that I would do the same thing with WR Bryce Bobo- provided he survived training camp cuts. Well, my man Bobes has done his part by securing a spot on the Esks' practice roster. Hopefully that will just be a springboard on the way to becoming one of those impactful import newcomers to whom GWN was referring.
    It was his nickname in college if you must know
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    It was his nickname in college if you must know
    yeah with Utah he had a great college career especially because I believe they run a spread offence
    In Rod we trust