Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Edmonton Eskimos Training Camp

vCash

Re: 2019 Edmonton Eskimos Training Camp

Quote Originally Posted by writfiler View Post
    Here we go again with these damn early injuries. How can guys be hurt when TC hasn’t even started?
    Jovan broke a bone in his foot late last season and may not be fully recovered. I am guessing that Orange may also have a lingering injury from last season because he was not participating in camp.

I share your frustration though. 2 days in and already 2 important players are out.

vCash

Shades of TC last year when both Adams & Colqhoun were injured early on.
    Last edited by writfiler; 05-20-2019 at 10:59 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Maas_12 View Post
    Question...esp since the team store is closed today...for someone wanting to attend TC, can you show up after the session has started? Or where do you go?
    The team had instructions on the elevator of who to phone for access to the stadium. Today, and going forward I believe, it will be former Esk, and 3 time GC champ, Andrew Jones, who is working with the team. Apologies for not seeing the question earlier. A person is able to come late and get in mid-season.

Quote Originally Posted by popo View Post
    Not very impressed with the Konar release. We release a very good starting Canadian, in a position we have depth at (with Smith and Mulumba behind him), on a roster where I don't think our Canadian talent is too deep.
    Looking at training camp reports our first teams only have 6 National starters... they will still have to basically force Smith to start at receiver to make the ratio work. Plus, Santos-Knox is starting the year injured. A long time until the season starts and we see how this plays out, but off to a concerning start.
    I am disappointed about the Konar thing, and had really believed that we would have been able to trade him for value - after all, he is a guy capable of starting in this league and helping secure a ratio-breaking position, and there were at least 3 teams needing to do that imo (BC, Cgy and Mtl). That said, I trust the EEFC did its best to do that and found no takers, and I do understand (even if I don't like) that due to a situation change that meant he was no longer seen as a starter, they couldn't justify paying him at that level. Hammer reports that he arrived at BC camp today and is listed on the depth chart at MLB. With it being a new scheme there, will be interesting to see if there is a truly open competition for the starting job between he and Herdman, and whether a platoon or rotation comes into play.

Also noticed that William Fields is a guest coach.
    So despite recently leaving his post with the club for the XFL, he will help get the team set up this training camp.
    Fields is Coach Lolley's right hand guy and there is a good amount of loyalty both ways there. Will be a big boost in helping install the defence.

vCash

Sorry for the late posting of a report on the first few days. Just got finished recording the Esk Empire Podcast, and had plenty of laughs with the team that does such a good job with that. Was great to compare and contrast early takes on the team through the first few days.

Keep in mind, no padded practices so far, so as a fan, only so much we can measure. Despite that, there has been good intensity, and it bubbled up a bit with newcomer, Jamar King, getting into a tussle with Jacob Ruby in today's session. Was not the first time King was getting under guys' skin and raising tensions. After the session, when Coach Maas was breaking the team down, he had them up and shaking hands. Don't imagine he hates it, but wants to not let anything linger.

Interesting scheduling, as Friday is set to be a 40 min session, then Sat a walk-through. Guessing that team-building will be on the agenda for Friday - a key element of this camp.

While it was expected that there would be immediate chemistry between Harris and Ellingson, the most notable impression from me through two days is the chemistry between Harris and Stafford. Kenny has seemed to show up in great shape and we'll prepared, and I understand he spent some time this off-season to travel south to work with Harris. I know how much Harris liked and relied on Diontae Spencer in Ottawa, and so far both Stafford and Collins seem to be channeling elements of that role. Daniels also looking good, and as noted, Shuler was released. Others have talked about how noticeable Torrance Gibson has been, but I didn't share that view. Solid talent and depth at the position, and likely enough to start two NI if the ratio forces us to. Adjei, Smith, Parker should be capable, with talent battling behind them.

RB is hard to measure without pads and full contact, or in scrimmage in general, but Gable is set up for a big season, and the battle between Shaq Cooper and Jordan Robinson just got more interesting when they signed Martese Jackson today. Shaq had some amazing looking burst and ability to make himself small for holes. Hoping that the pass pro has been an area of growth.

Surprisingly, Jacob Ruby has been practicing with the 1's so far, with Travis Bond currently with the 2's, despite what the depth charts say. Colin Kelly also with the 1's at RT and looking good so far. Peterson (LT) and Draheim (RT) are currently getting work with the 2's with Saxelid working in and getting some reps. Right now, Ruby looks like an early path to finding that 7th NI starter.

QBs - Harris has been sharp, accurate, and leading well. O'Brien has been solid, but as expected, staying with the offence and not taking a ton of risks. Kilgore has been throwing fairly well, and it is Briscoe (whom I was excited for), seems to be the furthest from ready, in terms of decisiveness and ball security.

More on Def tomorrow, but early standouts to me (absence of Orange and Santos-Knox) are speedy Tyquwan Glass (playing behind Maurice McKnight) and Jordan Beaulieu, who's playing confidently and with swagger. Unamba and Dean are looking as advertised, and Nick Taylor is among those getting work at SAM.

vCash

Great stuff as always, GWN. Appreciate the reports a ton.

vCash

I have to say I am not impressed by the Konar release. By the sounds of it, they have made his spot an import position now. I got into plenty of debates with a few on here about Canadian spots and not sure where they were going to be. With the elimination of a Canadian linebacker spot, it makes it even more unclear now. My guess and GWN mentioned it, Bond on the Oline is no longer an option. I questioned if they could have 3 Americans on the Oline to begin with, now they definitely can't. I hope they have enough quality guys at Canadian spots to play on the Oline because Ruby and Roy were not good enough to be starters last year IMO. I am shocked they couldn't get something for Konar. He's a good player.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    Sorry for the late posting of a report on the first few days. Just got finished recording the Esk Empire Podcast, and had plenty of laughs with the team that does such a good job with that. Was great to compare and contrast early takes on the team through the first few days.

Keep in mind, no padded practices so far, so as a fan, only so much we can measure. Despite that, there has been good intensity, and it bubbled up a bit with newcomer, Jamar King, getting into a tussle with Jacob Ruby in today's session. Was not the first time King was getting under guys' skin and raising tensions. After the session, when Coach Maas was breaking the team down, he had them up and shaking hands. Don't imagine he hates it, but wants to not let anything linger.

Interesting scheduling, as Friday is set to be a 40 min session, then Sat a walk-through. Guessing that team-building will be on the agenda for Friday - a key element of this camp.

While it was expected that there would be immediate chemistry between Harris and Ellingson, the most notable impression from me through two days is the chemistry between Harris and Stafford. Kenny has seemed to show up in great shape and we'll prepared, and I understand he spent some time this off-season to travel south to work with Harris. I know how much Harris liked and relied on Diontae Spencer in Ottawa, and so far both Stafford and Collins seem to be channeling elements of that role. Daniels also looking good, and as noted, Shuler was released. Others have talked about how noticeable Torrance Gibson has been, but I didn't share that view. Solid talent and depth at the position, and likely enough to start two NI if the ratio forces us to. Adjei, Smith, Parker should be capable, with talent battling behind them.

RB is hard to measure without pads and full contact, or in scrimmage in general, but Gable is set up for a big season, and the battle between Shaq Cooper and Jordan Robinson just got more interesting when they signed Martese Jackson today. Shaq had some amazing looking burst and ability to make himself small for holes. Hoping that the pass pro has been an area of growth.

Surprisingly, Jacob Ruby has been practicing with the 1's so far, with Travis Bond currently with the 2's, despite what the depth charts say. Colin Kelly also with the 1's at RT and looking good so far. Peterson (LT) and Draheim (RT) are currently getting work with the 2's with Saxelid working in and getting some reps. Right now, Ruby looks like an early path to finding that 7th NI starter.

QBs - Harris has been sharp, accurate, and leading well. O'Brien has been solid, but as expected, staying with the offence and not taking a ton of risks. Kilgore has been throwing fairly well, and it is Briscoe (whom I was excited for), seems to be the furthest from ready, in terms of decisiveness and ball security.

More on Def tomorrow, but early standouts to me (absence of Orange and Santos-Knox) are speedy Tyquwan Glass (playing behind Maurice McKnight) and Jordan Beaulieu, who's playing confidently and with swagger. Unamba and Dean are looking as advertised, and Nick Taylor is among those getting work at SAM.
    Great to hear that Kenny took it upon himself to build that chemistry with Harris, shows his character and will. Heard Maas say that Colquhoun did a lot of work in the off season and came in stronger, will be interesting to see if this translates to a more complete season for him.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Section N View Post
    Great stuff as always, GWN. Appreciate the reports a ton.
    X 2.

vCash

While I'm not a fan of the release of a NAT like Konar, I understand the need to want to renegotiate salary considering he probably would not be starting. It would have been nice to get something in trade value, but we are seeing lots of quality players getting released before training camp.
    I'm guessing the move also freed up some money to sign Martese Jackson, although he probably came cheaper than Konar.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    While I'm not a fan of the release of a NAT like Konar, I understand the need to want to renegotiate salary considering he probably would not be starting. It would have been nice to get something in trade value, but we are seeing lots of quality players getting released before training camp.
    I'm guessing the move also freed up some money to sign Martese Jackson, although he probably came cheaper than Konar.
    I'm not overly fond of the move either but we have to give our new DC the tools he wants and if Konar was not in the plans to start, then his salary needs to reflect that. I would be VERY surprised if we hadn't exhausted ALL trade avenues before releasing him but I guess you never know.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27 View Post
    I seem to recall him being on our free agent list. Likely on the last year of his Toronto contract when we traded for him. Possibly looked down south this off season and found no takers ? Can't remember us releasing him , but not sure about that.
    You are correct. He still shows as being unsigned in the 2019 CFL FA Tracker.

vCash

^^Teams may have had a feeling we would have released him so low-balled offers to us, knowing that Brock wouldn't bite on a 7th round pick for a Canadian LB who has had trouble staying healthy.

I think he exhausted all trade options and nothing made it worth while to him in a trade and I'm fine with that. A 7th round pick doesn't do a hell of a lot for me.

This is all speculation on my part so take it with a grain of salt.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by widowmaker View Post
    I am guessing that Orange may also have a lingering injury from last season because he was not participating in camp.
    I don't recall Orange being hobbled by anything last year. He played all 18 plus the playoff game for BC. Sometimes a guy maybe strains something in the weight room or could simply be under the weather. No sense pushing it in the first couple of days, especially with vets who pretty much have a lock on positions. Figueroa missed the first 2 days of BC's camp but apparently is out there today taking 1st unit reps at LT in their first padded session. No indication as to why but after the Sunday afternoon session I saw him in civvies walking to the locker room yukking it up with Carter and Davin Colemen and showing no signs of any discomfort. Gary Peters also missed the first 2 days but is apparently out there today taking 1st unit reps.

vCash

With an all International LB core and a belief that Bond will be on the starting OL unit ( I’m sure was resigned with the belief he would be a starter and I’m sure not overly cheap and on a personal note would like to see him and Rodgers side by side) I feel ratio will look like:

National starters
    2 OL - Beard O’Donnell
    1 WR - Smith
    1 WR/FB - Adjei and others
    1 DE - Boetang
    1 CB - Colqohoun
    1 S - TBD

If we go with three Nationals on the OL, we need to then turn S international.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP12 View Post
    With an all International LB core and a belief that Bond will be on the starting OL unit ( I’m sure was resigned with the belief he would be a starter and I’m sure not overly cheap and on a personal note would like to see him and Rodgers side by side) I feel ratio will look like:

National starters
    2 OL - Beard O’Donnell
    1 WR - Smith
    1 DE - Boetang
    1 CB - Colqohoun
    1 S - TBD

Sounds like 3 Nationals on the Oline, and maybe only 1 national in the Receiving corps:
    Rogers - Ruby - Beard - O'Donnell - Kelly
    Daniels - Collins - Adjei - Ellingson-Stafford

Potential 7 starts, with primary backup. I imagine if Boateng got hurt they would add another national receiver rather than rely on backup
    Ruby/Beard/O'Donnell (Roy)
    Adjei (Smith, Parker)

Boateng (Jesse Joseph?)
    Colquhoun (Onyeka)
    Beaulieu (Hoover)

vCash

Sounds like 3 Nationals on the Oline, and maybe only 1 national in the Receiving corps:
    Rogers - Ruby - Beard - O'Donnell - Kelly
    Daniels - Collins - Adjei - Ellingson-Stafford

Potential 7 starts, with primary backup. I imagine if Boateng got hurt they would add another national receiver rather than rely on backup
    Ruby/Beard/O'Donnell (Roy)
    Adjei (Smith, Parker)

Boateng (Jesse Joseph?)
    Colquhoun (Onyeka)
    Beaulieu (Hoover)
    Wouldn't surprise me if we Mulumba rotated into the linebacking core when Boateng needs a breather.
    #PizStrong

vCash

Don’t get me wrong.... I think our team improved its defence significantly with addition of player personal and change in defensive philosophy with new coordinator. I don’t think we will see a significant drop-off in the QB position. I expect Harris to have a big year. Addition of Rodgers to the OL will absolutely huge as the LT position has been a bit of a revolving door last two seasons. I actually expect Gable to have a bit of a rebound year after what I thought was a bit of a down year for him. But...... that REC group is drastically weaker. Can’t be underestimated how losing Walker, Williams and Mitchell will impact team. I personally would take all three over any of our receivers this year. I like Ellingson, but not over those three...

REC is one area that I see a decease in talent. Improved most of not all other areas though...

vCash

Don’t get me wrong.... I think our team improved its defence significantly with addition of player personal and change in defensive philosophy with new coordinator. I don’t think we will see a significant drop-off in the QB position. I expect Harris to have a big year. Addition of Rodgers to the OL will absolutely huge as the LT position has been a bit of a revolving door last two seasons. I actually expect Gable to have a bit of a rebound year after what I thought was a bit of a down year for him. But...... that REC group is drastically weaker. Can’t be underestimated how losing Walker, Williams and Mitchell will impact team. I personally would take all three over any of our receivers this year. I like Ellingson, but not over those three...

REC is one area that I see a decease in talent. Improved most of not all other areas though...
    while you may be correct about the receiving core, we also added Daniels and Smith (national) Both of which I'm expecting to make an impact.
    #PizStrong

vCash

National starters
    2 OL - Beard O’Donnell
    1 WR - Smith
    1 DE - Boetang
    1 CB - Colqohoun
    1 S - TBD

There was more hype than I believed there would be for the signing of Mikael Charland the other day. Maybe they really believe they can turn safety into a national position with him in the lineup. As I mentioned before, I'd have to believe they are looking at the OL too. There's just too much Canadian depth they've acquired recently for them not to be thinking about RT or LG being a national spot one day.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BeaverSports View Post
    There was more hype than I believed there would be for the signing of Mikael Charland the other day. Maybe they really believe they can turn safety into a national position with him in the lineup. As I mentioned before, I'd have to believe they are looking at the OL too. There's just too much Canadian depth they've acquired recently for them not to be thinking about RT or LG being a national spot one day.
    I would be very surprised if we went international at the safety position as we have several guys that are capable of playing that position. Keep an eye on Bealieu, I have a feeling he is going to bring a level of play at safety that we haven't seen in awhile.
    #PizStrong

vCash

After two days with the 2's, Bond was back with the 1's today. May be trying to build some chemistry with both he and Ruby in the spot, evaluate, and keep options open. Never too much locked in on day two or three.

I am reserving judgment on the receivers and I think it is a blind spot to take Mitchell over Ellingson and potentially Daniels, as both have proven a ton. I am a big fan of Bryant Mitchell as a player and as a person, but whether people believe it is fair or not, he hasn't yet played a full season in the CFL, while Ellingson has multiple 1000 yd, all-star seasons under his belt, and a huge rapport with our QB. We have some big losses of talent at the position for sure, but we should have a mix of some top-tier talent with some good depth.

Even though it is very early in his CFL career, I expect that Tevaun Smith will perhaps make us capable of starting two NIs between WR/SB/FB depending on sets and schemes.

vCash
    Blog Entries

After two days with the 2's, Bond was back with the 1's today. May be trying to build some chemistry with both he and Ruby in the spot, evaluate, and keep options open. Never too much locked in on day two or three.

I am reserving judgment on the receivers and I think it is a blind spot to take Mitchell over Ellingson and potentially Daniels, as both have proven a ton. I am a big fan of Bryant Mitchell as a player and as a person, but whether people believe it is fair or not, he hasn't yet played a full season in the CFL, while Ellingson has multiple 1000 yd, all-star seasons under his belt, and a huge rapport with our QB. We have some big losses of talent at the position for sure, but we should have a mix of some top-tier talent with some good depth.

Even though it is very early in his CFL career, I expect that Tevaun Smith will perhaps make us capable of starting two NIs between WR/SB/FB depending on sets and schemes.
    For me Ellingson will have to step up. I feel like Brock paid a lot to get him and his play appeared to tail off a bit especially in the second half of the season at least that's my impression.
    ôRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash
    Blog Entries

Well Trevor seems to like our DBs...also his dad sounds like quite the character...https://www.esks.com/2019/05/21/tc-qb-trevor-harris-2/

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash
    Blog Entries

Happy to see Colquhoun did a lot of work in terms of training over the off season...Hopefully it pays off and he has a healthy season...https://globalnews.ca/news/5295844/e...jen-colquhoun/

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BeaverSports View Post
    Saxelid, O'Donnell, and Ruby are Natural Tackles. Saxelid Played LT 3 years at UNLV a pretty major school so if his athleticism matures into the CFL game we may have a gem.
    Run the Ball up the gut around the horn it does not matter. We run we win what is so difficult to understand.

vCash

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/05/21/esks-n...eeping-simple/

CFL.ca Staff

EDMONTON — Sometimes simple is better, a mindset many Edmonton Eskimos are taking to heart this training camp.

The Eskimos’ defence certainly has work to do, installing a new scheme and a number of new starters in time for the season-opener against Montreal on June 14.

Yet for new defensive coordinator Phillip Lolley, simplicity could be the key to a much-improved unit in 2019.

“Just having Coach Lolley here, he simplified it,” said cornerback Arjen Colquhoun. “He made it really simple. People know what to do, and when people know what to do you can do it fast. That’s what we’re seeing on the field now.”

Despite a handful of new starters — not including linebacker Jovan Santos-Knox, who has yet to take the field — speed is the name of the game for the Eskimos’ defence early in camp.

The goal in any system is for players to react instead of think, something that quarterback Trevor Harris has noticed a lot of in the early going.

================================================== ============================================

From the article Bene's schemes were so difficult it was making players think where they should be rather than just playing to their strengths.
    Last edited by danlaurin; 05-21-2019 at 07:28 PM.
    Run the Ball up the gut around the horn it does not matter. We run we win what is so difficult to understand.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    For me Ellingson will have to step up. I feel like Brock paid a lot to get him and his play appeared to tail off a bit especially in the second half of the season at least that's my impression.
    Agreed - last season was a weird one in many ways for Ellingson. Previously, he was the #1 target in that offence it seemed, even in the seasons when they had four 1000 yd receivers. Last year, Sinopoli was the go-to possession guy, and Diontae Spencer really emerged as the game-breaker. Prior three seasons in Ottawa, he averaged over 15 ypc, and last year was down around 11, but he still put up his 4th straight 1000 yd season. I think, with him, it is about role as much as anything. I expect that the Maas offensive system will see plenty of yards to go around, and with no major injuries and at 30 yrs old, I don't expect a big slow down.

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    Well Trevor seems to like our DBs...also his dad sounds like quite the character...https://www.esks.com/2019/05/21/tc-qb-trevor-harris-2/
    I had a chance to meet Trevor's dad at Grey Cup last November. We were staying in the same hotel as the RedBlacks, and we're arriving back at the same time. I held the door for him, and did a wild double-take, because he looks a lot like Trevor. Trevor saw the whole thing from about 5 paces back and had a good laugh at my reaction.

Hard to reconcile the "boxing prisoners for fun" with the man I met, but he was definitely one proud pops! Strong roots make for strong trees - another strong similarity between our former and current QB. Both have very supportive families that instilled strong character and values. Edmonton is, and will continue to be, better for their presence in the community.

vCash

Excited for the first padded practice tomorrow. While the first pre-season game comes too quick, the first time hearing the pads pop is coming a little too slow for my taste. I support the player safety initiatives, and trusting that this is, in fact, something that is good for player health, I grudgingly support the reduction of full contact practices, but the key word is grudgingly.

Strong day today by Colquhoun, who dropped a sure pick, but was well positioned and around the ball a lot. The work he's put in, training through the off-season in Edm and working on core and flexibility, Should have him better prepared to stay on the field, and from the early returns, he could be poised for a break-through season.

Don Unamba is a lot of fun to watch. He absolutely flies around out there and I am excited for the SAM position to return to being one of strength, as it was with Otha Foster and then Kenny Ladler. Can't miss the leadership being brought and the respect he commands. As 56Parkies points out, with his dreadlocks covering part of his number, it's not so much a '0' as it is a 'U'.

I heard some stories today that shone a very positive light on Larry Dean and his character. Within an hour of signing with the Esks he made efforts to reach out to some key people and show a ton of respect. It costs us so little to do these things, and can me so much. My buddy and I tried to watch a recorded Esks/RedBlacks game from last year this evening, and it's a little too painful to do that with all the departures, but Dean's arrival, and the concept of turning over part of the leadership of the room to him, really eases the blow.

One guy I want to watch closer is Darius Jackson, a fairly late addition to the D-line, but a guy that has seemed to make an impression on his position group with some plays he's made in drills. Too soon to make any predictions, but he has landed on my radar.

Session was cut a little short today for on-field stuff, and there was time allotted for work in the endzone, with rotation of guys through three stations focusing on stretching, core, flexibility and strength. Had a chance to talk to a few coaches and players, and while there's an understanding that building culture and chemistry is not done overnight, there is a lot of good work starting to happen.

Can't recall if I mentioned it earlier, but Coach Gibson tore his quad muscle in the week prior to camp and has been in a full leg cast through the first bit. Tough son-of-a-gun to be out there and fighting through it.

At the end of the on-field sessions, the QBs were throwing at the crossbar, as is often the case. What is not so frequent is three of them hitting it from about 40 yds out.

vCash

At the end of the on-field sessions, the QBs were throwing at the crossbar, as is often the case. What is not so frequent is three of them hitting it from about 40 yds out.
    I'll guess Harris & O'Brien. Not sure if the 3rd would be Kilgore or Briscoe???
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    I'll guess Harris & O'Brien. Not sure if the 3rd would be Kilgore or Briscoe???
    I believe Sinagre was the first, and I saw Harris do one. The other one came when my view was blocked but I saw the other end of the throw.