Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Season Thread

vCash

Re: 2019 Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    I agree with you on Hightower. I gave Colquhoun flack for missing so much time over the last few seasons then I look at Hightower. Missed 8 games in 2017, 7 in 2018 and now depending on what the injury, he's missing at least 6 and could be longer.

For the depth chart. You only dress 2 QB's considering Harris got hurt not long ago and you lost your starting running back who's a good blocker and replaced him with a running back who's not a good blocker.

Interesting.
    Without knowing Hightowers salary, its tough to make this call as when he's in the lineup, he's a game changer. That being said, if he's being paid as a top tier guy then you may be right. As far as the QBs go, when was the last time we saw the third string guy go in? I know Jones used to use Lynch but since then I'm not sure they've seen the field. The thing that I don't get is that there are 5 guys coming off of the roster and only 4 going on. I'm guessing Briscoe to the PR is a salary saving move but I don't know for sure.

This is not a slam at all but rather a question as I don't know. How do you know about Coopers blocking ability? I can't say I even have a clue, so I won't say either way.
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by writfiler View Post
    Gable out? Wtf?
    I don’t recall him getting hurt in Montreal? Maybe the heat got to him....
    And Hightower on the 6-game again. Time to cut ties with this guy, can’t stay healthy....
    Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    I agree with you on Hightower. I gave Colquhoun flack for missing so much time over the last few seasons then I look at Hightower. Missed 8 games in 2017, 7 in 2018 and now depending on what the injury, he's missing at least 6 and could be longer.

For the depth chart. You only dress 2 QB's considering Harris got hurt not long ago and you lost your starting running back who's a good blocker and replaced him with a running back who's not a good blocker.

Interesting.
    I, initially, presumed you guys were joking when you were saying cut ties with Hightower, but it appears that you're serious that you'd want to cut the guy that's been our best DB so far this season and is a locker-room leader. First off, we have no idea what the injury is and whether it is a long-term thing, or the 6-game move is a precaution to keep our options open in terms of cap savings. Secondly - news flash - football players get injured when playing a collision sport... they also recover, come back, play, and put themselves at risk of doing it again. They don't hurt our cap position when on the 6-game list, and knowing Forrest, he'll be coaching up the DBs and working with them while he's rehabbing. This is exactly why we have a veteran like Nick Taylor on the PR, and we're close to getting AJ Orange, an all-star CB last year, back in the coming weeks.

It was pointed out in another thread that Gable had very limited second half carries in Mtl last week, and with the short turnaround, it's not an absolute shock that he's out, though I hadn't heard about it previously either. Coach Maas is very tight-lipped about injuries and it is obviously effective. Excited to see what Shaq Cooper can do, and whether his pass-blocking has improved. Adding in a potentially explosive playmaker should change how the Argos prepare and will make for a little different matchup than the straight-ahead power running of Gable. With Laing and Awe up the middle for the defence, someone that can stretch sideline to sideline could be intriguing. Toronto's D-line and front seven turned in a good performance last week, but while we downgrade our pass protection at RB, we upgrade it with the insertion of Bond.

The 2 QB decision is a cap saving move pure and simple, as it doesn't free up a roster spot elsewhere. Through 5-games, Briscoe has not once seen the field, but by being on the active roster, he's counting against the cap. BC has been doing this with Reilly/O'Brien, and last I checked, they don't even have another QB on the PR. Will be interesting to see if this catches on around the league, and if so, whether the CFLPA, at some point, tries to close the loophole. There is one team (Argos maybe?) that is playing their 3rd string QB on special teams as we did with Jordan Lynch a few years back.

vCash

Interesting that we only are running with two quarterbacks. SMS must be real tight if we've moved Briscoe back to the PR to save a few bucks.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

3 americans on the oline our oline better be off the hook this game
    In Rod we trust

vCash
    Blog Entries

I do recall gable getting hurt in Montreal , I believe it was in the second quarter on a hit by Henoc

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Interesting that we only are running with two quarterbacks. SMS must be real tight if we've moved Briscoe back to the PR to save a few bucks.
    The Stumps have dressed only 2 QBs since the injury to Bovine....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    Kawhi-esque "load management" for Gable????
    The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Vince Lombardi

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    The 2 QB decision is a cap saving move pure and simple, as it doesn't free up a roster spot elsewhere. Through 5-games, Briscoe has not once seen the field, but by being on the active roster, he's counting against the cap. BC has been doing this with Reilly/O'Brien, and last I checked, they don't even have another QB on the PR. Will be interesting to see if this catches on around the league, and if so, whether the CFLPA, at some point, tries to close the loophole. There is one team (Argos maybe?) that is playing their 3rd string QB on special teams as we did with Jordan Lynch a few years back.
    Quote Originally Posted by writfiler View Post
    The Stumps have dressed only 2 QB’s since the injury to Bovine....
    The two teams other than us that are only running with 2 QBs are the two teams with a $700,000+ first string QB. Granted, Calgary's is on the 6-game, so they'll be saving a bunch - no idea how much since I don't know how much Bo's contract was front-loaded in bonuses, but still has to be somewhat significant amount having him off for 1/3 the season.
    Twitter: @56Parkies
    @EsksHistory

Check out #ThisDayInEsksHistory on Twitter and on Facebook.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 56Parkies View Post
    The two teams other than us that are only running with 2 QBs are the two teams with a $700,000+ first string QB. Granted, Calgary's is on the 6-game, so they'll be saving a bunch - no idea how much since I don't know how much Bo's contract was front-loaded in bonuses, but still has to be somewhat significant amount having him off for 1/3 the season.
    I would suggest that with all of the free agents we added this year, we are in the same boat as those teams in terms of the cap. Brock and crew are having to be creative to make sure we fit under the cap OR they are making sure we have some money for post NFL cut time.

vCash

I would suggest that with all of the free agents we added this year, we are in the same boat as those teams in terms of the cap. Brock and crew are having to be creative to make sure we fit under the cap OR they are making sure we have some money for post NFL cut time.
    It could also be a case of banking up as much cap room as we can get so that we're not having to release some of the guys that are playing now, when the starters come back from injury. When SirV is back, for instance, it wouldn't hurt to be able to keep both current import tackles around for depth, or when Orange is back, I'd still like to keep Johnson on the roster instead of being forced to make cuts due to cap. Anything that buys space now can give us flexibility down the stretch.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    It could also be a case of banking up as much cap room as we can get so that we're not having to release some of the guys that are playing now, when the starters come back from injury. When SirV is back, for instance, it wouldn't hurt to be able to keep both current import tackles around for depth, or when Orange is back, I'd still like to keep Johnson on the roster instead of being forced to make cuts due to cap. Anything that buys space now can give us flexibility down the stretch.
    fair point and with the information us fans have, all we can do is speculate and trust that those with all of the information are doing what is best for the team.

vCash

Wilder Jr out for tmros game
    In Rod we trust

vCash

That oughta help, given we're missing Gable.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

vCash

I don't get how Toronto is as ****ty as they are.. they have talent on that roster.

vCash

Looks to be no Armanti Edwards and no Ian Wild either (though I think Wild missed last game too).

Lemon is listed, but from what I had heard previously, he wasn't on the trip west.

vCash

look at mister computer skills probably think you're something special now don't ya?
    In Rod we trust

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdar View Post
    look at mister computer skills probably think you're something special now don't ya?
    hahaha embedding tweets is the only way I can post pictures. Top right of the tweet is a little down arrow, click that and there is an embed tweet option, click copy the link , past it here and boom done. Its posting pictures that I don't know how to do

vCash

Anyone selling tickets to tomorrow's game before I grab a couple on kijiji?
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

Its posting pictures that I don't know how to do
    Right click on an image and select copy image address.
    Paste that address between the following sets of brackets
    [img][/img]

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by PDO View Post
    Anyone selling tickets to tomorrow's game before I grab a couple on kijiji?
    You can have my pair (upper T - high up but almost right on the 55). PM me an email address to transfer them.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Right click on an image and select copy image address.
    Paste that address between the following sets of brackets

Thanks!!!!!! you may regret giving me that info LOL

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Esks4ever View Post
    I don't get how Toronto is as ****ty as they are.. they have talent on that roster.
    1. Agree with you. Said something similar on this forum somewhere several weeks ago.
    2. Coaching.

vCash

Injuries have required us to replace highly paid vets with cheaper contracts and we still are having cap issues??? I have to wonder what sort of salary cap hell we'd be in if all our expensive free agent signings didn't spend all that time on the six-game IR?
    Last edited by Hugoagogo; 07-24-2019 at 04:30 PM.

vCash

Strategy...? Perhaps they're holding back some vets to keep them fresher as the season progresses. I keep hearing that players like Daniels and Santos-Knox (IIRC) were/are ready well before they re-entered the roster.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

vCash

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by dealerd View Post
    I do recall gable getting hurt in Montreal , I believe it was in the second quarter on a hit by Henoc
    Gable's been banged up for weeks
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

The ancient enemy lurks in wait in its hoary primeval lair this week. The Eskimos need to do a gut check as this is the game they have to win if they want to demonstrate that they're real contenders in the West.

Radically Canadian!

vCash

For a first year player, I'm loving the attitude and awareness of Diggs.

vCash

Any word on the status of C.J. Gable for this week's tilt in Calgary?

Last edited by Foxhound; 07-29-2019 at 01:08 PM.
    Radically Canadian!